• Published 19th Sep 2020
  • 2,900 Views, 209 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 12 - twilightsparkle3562

  • ...
7
 209
 2,900

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 16: "Tirek's Dilemma"

Author's Note:

Episode Summary: After witnessing Discord's punishment at the hooves of Grogar, Tirek contemplates his future with the Legion of Doom.

Cast:

Mark Acheson as Lord Tirek

Kathleen Barr as Queen Chrysalis

Sunni Westbrook as Cozy Glow

Alvin Sanders as King Sombra

Doc Harris as Grogar

Robert Morse as Sendak

Maggie Smith as Lady Minerva

John De Lancie as Discord

Tara Strong as Princess Twilight Sparkle

Andrea Libman as Fluttershy

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Season 12, Episode 16

"Tirek's Dilemma"

Written by Jeff Snyder (TwilightSparkle3562)

Edited by SuperPinkBrony12

Lord Tirek could only think to himself over what had just transpired. Sitting at the long dining table with his fellow members of Grogar's legion, all he could do was think not just of what recently happened but also his future with the legion. Staring down at his plate of food, Tirek's contemplation caught the attention of Grogar.

"You are not eating, Tirek." Grogar remarked while feasting on greens.

"With your permission," Tirek sighed. "I am not hungry, my emperor."

"Permission denied," Grogar answered without looking up. "We'll not have food wasted. Now eat your supper."

Complying, Tirek took a bite out of his food and as he did, Grogar turned to the rest of the legion present. "Let me be very clear about something," He cautioned. "What Discord did is something that I will not allow to happen again. If there are any more spies from Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends, they will be killed right on the spot. No excuses, no exceptions. Do I make myself clear?"

All of the villains acknowledged Grogar's words. "Discord was an exception," Grogar further remarked. "Because it would have been too easy to kill him. It would've made him a martyr, inspiring the ponies to fight back even harder."

"My emperor," Tirek spoke up, catching the demonic goat by surprise. "If I may have permission to speak…"

"-You shall not," Grogar interrupted, glaring at the centaur. "Now eat before I force feed it to you! As long as you are part of my legion you'll obey my commands."

Denied his chance to speak, Tirek resumed eating. His forlorn expression catching the attention of his lover, Queen Chrysalis and his daughter figure, Cozy Glow. Both changeling and pegasus turned alicorn immediately began feeling a sense of concern for the muscle of their group.

"My emperor," Sombra said while sitting next to Grogar. "Discord is a creature who is a great threat to our cause. I believe we should have killed him despite what it would motivate the ponies to do."

"Sombra, there is something you must understand," Grogar replied. "Had we killed Discord then I would never have been able to send a preview to Equestria of what is to come. You must control the animal inside of you, my loyal lieutenant. I already drained Discord of his powers, he will be of no use to the ponies. Chaos magic cannot be replaced."

Saying nothing, Sombra returned to eating his dinner.

"You must love death, Sombra." Grogar concluded.

"I do, my emperor," Sombra replied with a nod. "I get a thrill out of it as much as anypony else in this room. To make my enemies suffer as I suffered, except unlike I they don't get the luxury of coming back from the dead," A series of laughs were heard from the rest of the legion, except for Tirek. "In fact, you might say the elements being destroyed will come close to that."

"And you wonder why I made you my second-in-command," Grogar chuckled, playfully nudging Sombra in the left foreleg. "Because you destroyed Equestria's greatest weapon, all thanks to Discord's misguided attempt to build Princess Twilight's confidence. I only regret that you beat me to it. Destruction of the Elements of Harmony would've been the perfect calling card for my reign of terror."

"Now that Discord has been dealt with," Grogar announced to the legion a short time later. "We must begin the task of launching our attacks on Equestria and its allies. I want to find an ally that can be easily disposed of, just like the Distant Lands."

"My emperor," Queen Chrysalis suggested. "That weakling Thorax and his brother can be disposed of easily. I want my hive back!"

Having heard enough, Tirek rose from his seat and began to make his way out of the dining room.

"Lord Tirek!" Grogar thundered, rising from his seat. "Sit back down at once! I have not dismissed you!"

"My emperor, I'm sorry but I must leave." Tirek said before opening the door and leaving, much to Grogar's disgust.

"Idiot centaur." Grogar muttered, but Chrysalis and Cozy Glow each had their understanding of what Tirek was going through.

Leaving the dining room, Tirek made his way down into the courtyard where the donkey soldiers were trained. Kicking a barrel in front of him, the centaur's mind was conflicted regarding his place in Grogar's ranks. Picking up another barrel, he tossed it into the air and blasted it with his magic, destroying it.

"Tirek?" A voice belonging to Chrysalis called out, causing Tirek to turn around and face the deposed changeling queen as well as Cozy Glow. "Tirek, what's wrong?"

Sighing, the centaur turned to his lover. "Why do you wish to know?" He sighed. "It doesn't concern you."

"Of course it does because we love you," Cozy Glow remarked, flying over to her father figure. "Right?"

"Yes, I suppose you do," Tirek replied. "It's just that…well, I've been doing a lot of thinking since Discord was punished and…"

"You wish to leave Grogar's ranks?" Cozy Glow guessed, feeling slightly shocked by Tirek's suggestion. "Are you crazy? Do you want to go back to being stone again? Because I certainly wouldn't want to be turned to stone again!"

"Just hear me out, you two," Tirek cried. Sitting on the ground, Cozy Glow and Chrysalis listened to what Tirek had to say. "Ever since we conquered my former homeland," He explained. "I've been having these feelings that…I should own up to my crimes."

"Who says?" Cozy Glow asked, both her and Chrysalis slightly taken aback by Tirek's words. "Is it your Gram-Gram?"

"What makes you think that?" Tirek asked, turning his back on the two female creatures. "The matter is that I feel like I should be admitting guilt for my crimes, and so should you. Maybe it wasn't so bad at first, we were getting back at those who'd wronged us in the past. But now..."

"How could you be saying this after all we've been through together?" Chrysalis protested, flying in front of Tirek. "Do you want to be turned back to stone, be imprisoned and throw away the second chance that Grogar has given us?!"

"Yeah, is that what you want, Tirek?" Cozy Glow asked. "To just make it seem like our actions were for nothing? Admit it, your Gram-Gram is putting these ideas into your head!"

Growling, Tirek grabbed his daughter figure and held her to his face. "I have my reasons, Cozy Glow!" Tirek said angrily. "And I would appreciate it if you left her out of this!"

"But Tirek…" Cozy began with a whimper.

"Don't 'But Tirek' me young filly!" Tirek snapped. "I said that I don't want Gram Gram brought into this conversation, and that's final! So if you know what's good for you you'll drop it!"

Dropping Cozy Glow hard on the ground, Tirek turned and ran off.

Once Tirek was gone, both Chrysalis and Cozy Glow were left to wonder what Tirek was feeling inside.

Later that night, the two made their way over to the private quarters of Tirek's mentor, Sendak. Knocking on the door, they waited for a response and they eventually got it as the door to his quarters opened.

"Yes?" Sendak asked. "What do you both want?"

"Sendak, forgive us for disturbing you," Chrysalis apologized. "But there's something that we need your help with regarding Tirek."

Looking to see if there were no others near his quarters, Sendak allowed them inside and shut the door quietly behind them. "You're probably wondering what he's been going through since this business with Discord began," Sendak guessed. "The fact that he is having an identity crisis. One that apparently was triggered by a conversation with his brother."

"How do you know that?" Cozy Glow asked with a shocked expression.

"Because he told me," Sendak answered. "Did he say anything to you both?"

"About how his Gram-Gram is letting these feelings go to his head?" Cozy Glow guessed. "Because of course she is, that's the only explanation! He talks to her every night in his sleep. Believe me, it keeps me up sometimes. I never paid much attention to them before."

Walking over to some pictures, Sendak picked up the picture of an older looking female centaur with the same colors as King Vorak.

"Who is this?" Chrysalis asked as Sendak showed them the picture. "Is this Tirek's grandmother?"

"Lady Minerva," Sendak answered. "King Vorak's mother and queen consort of our kingdom."

Studying the picture, Cozy Glow was amazed by what she was seeing. "Golly! She looks just like old Tirek." She remarked.

"Indeed she does," Sendak nodded. "Tirek always had a close bond with his grandmother. But after she died, Tirek's world came crashing down. Lady Minerva was his protection and after she died that protection was lost."

Cozy quickly guessed. "Because of Vorak's abuse?"

"Of course, young filly," Sendak sighed as he placed the picture back on the table. "Lady Minerva disapproved of her son's abuse of her grandchild and to this end, Tirek relied on her more and more for protection. When she fell ill and ultimately died, Tirek lost his only lifeline. He became bitter and resentful, and such is how he came to me. He knew that I too had been cast out by his father, and that I could fill the hole in his life his gram gram's passing had created. As I needed someone to pass on my teachings to after being kicked out of the king's court, it suited us both."

"But what does that have to do with our planned invasion of Equestria?" Chrysalis asked. "Does he want to be infected by the magic of friendship? Because if he is I'll…"

"-It's much more than that, changeling," Sendak interrupted, opening up a large red book. "Tirek had always wanted respect from those around him but his father ensured that he never got it. However, while her body is destroyed Minerva's spirit still lives. Behold..."

Gesturing them to come forward, Sendak directed Chrysalis and Cozy Glow to look at a picture of Tirek as a young centaur with a forced smile on his face. "Minevra is probably trying to get Tirek to see the error of his ways," Sendak concluded. "And so it will only be a matter of time until Tirek sees the light if she has her way. He wants a better life by any means necessary…as well as respect. That is what's motivated him in his pursuit of power for so long."

Both Cozy and Chrysalis were now beginning to understand what Tirek was going to do.

"I don't understand," Cozy Glow replied, flying back and forth across Sendak's quarters. "Why would Tirek want to throw away all that he's gained? Could it be that he doesn't want me to be his protégé anymore?"

"I highly doubt that, young filly," Chrysalis replied with a shake of her head. "Tirek is a very strong minded centaur, he would never let the disease of friendship get to him."

"Just because you are strong on the outside," Sendak cautioned. "It doesn't mean you are strong on the inside."

"So what do you want us to do, Sendak?" Chrysalis asked.

"I ask that you respect whatever decision Tirek wishes to make," Sendak cautioned again. "If he wishes to leave the Legion then that's his destiny. Surely he knows that the ponies would not just welcome him into their ranks after all he's done, even if he showed a willingness to atone. There will be plenty of those who will look upon him with skepticism and hostility."

Right away, Chrysalis began to feel somewhat backstabbed by Sendak's words. Using her magic, she picked up Sendak and threw him against the wall, then proceeded to glare at him with her sickly green eyes! "I refuse to believe any of that!" Chrysalis retorted. "Tirek would never want to abandon us or something that desires such ambition! You're his mentorn Sendak! Make him see sense! He'll listen to you!"

"It's not up to me, changeling," Sendak protested as he stood up. "If Tirek wishes to leave there's little I can do to stop him."

"LIAR!" Chrysalis screamed, throwing Sendak against the wall again in a fit of rage. "I don't believe you!"

"It's the truth," Sendak remarked, seemingly unfazed by Chrysalis' anger. "I taught Tirek that whatever destiny he decides to follow is entirely his decision. He got what he wanted most out of his service here, revenge against his father and brother, the two he blames for his lot in life."

Exasperated, Chrysalis released her magical grip on Sendak and flew next to Cozy Glow. The young pegasus turned alicorn felt somewhat intimidated by Chrysalis' anger.

"All that I ask," Sendak replied to Chrysalis and Cozy while rising to his feet again. "Is that as his lover and as his daughter figure, you respect whatever decision he makes. You must follow him on whatever path he makes. If you continue to serve Grogar it is likely you will not be satisfied, for you will not have control of your own kingdoms or your destinies."

Exasperated, Chrysalis left the elder centaur's quarters with Cozy Glow following suit.

Meanwhile, Tirek sat in his quarters looking out the window and towards the outer space between the moon and the world below. "It's strange," He thought to himself as he looked down at his enlarged red hands. "I want to follow the path that's right for me. But I just don't know which one it is. How can that be possible? I killed my pathetic excuse of a father and allowed Grogar to conquer my homeland. My brother is a prisoner of war and Chrysalis loves me as much as I love her. It doesn't make any sense, Gram-Gram. What am I going to do? What more must I do to be satisfied?"

Just then, Tirek heard the sounds of breathing right behind him and he turned to see the spirit of an older looking female centaur sitting on Cozy Glow's bed. He could only gasp in shock at what he was seeing before his eyes! "Do what, my grandson?" She asked in a fancy voice.

"I need your help, Gram-Gram." Tirek replied while looking at the ghost of his grandmother.

"You don't usually ask me for my advice," Minevra remarked. "Not since you fell in love with that changeling," She sighed. "Very well then, what is it?"

Sighing, Tirek sat back down on the edge of his bed looking at his grandmother's ghost. "I've been having these premonitions, Gram-Gram," Tirek explained. "Premonitions that say that I should be following a different path. But why am I having them?"

"Maybe, my grandson, it's a sign that you should be doing something else with your life." Minevra told her grandson.

Briefly looking away from his grandmother's ghost, Tirek refused to believe such an answer. However, he became more and more conflicted with where he wanted to go.

"In fact," Minevra went on. "Even I have become disappointed with your actions," This made Tirek's mouth drop open. "Seeking magic because of your father's disapproval," she continued. "At the expense of the three pony races, being willing to betray your brother and the only creature who was willing to be your friend. All for the sake of power."

"But that's what Sendak taught me to do," Tirek protested. "To seek magic to become stronger, stronger than my father, stronger than any creature who lived. So that's what I did!"

"No, Tirek," Minevra sighed. "He taught you to embrace magic only for survival, not to become all powerful. Even he initially was dismayed at the monster you'd become, he only changed his mind because you saved him from a life of imprisonment."

"But my father, your son!" Tirek protested.

"Your father warped you and influenced you to become who you are now, Tirek. You believed every single word he ever told you and look at where it has brought you as a result." Minevra scolded.

The shock and dismay of being told those words caused Tirek to develop a huge pit in his stomach. It seemed, for that moment, everything he had ever done no longer held any meaning. "So what should I do, Gram-Gram? I can't change the past, I've already done so many unspeakable things in my pursuit of power," Tirek cried, stretching his arms out to her. "Should I just tell Grogar that I want no more part in his ambitions? He'll feed me to his bear for sure! And if I strike out on my own, the ponies won't trust me and my lover and daughter figure will be blamed by Grogar for not stoping me."

"I'm not saying that you should surrender yourself to Grogar right away," Minevra advised. "I'm saying that there will come a time where you will realize that there are much better ways to live than what you are doing right now."

Suddenly, Tirek began to notice his grandmother's ghost start to disappear. "Wait! Where are you going?" Tirek cried, trying to reach her. "Don't go! I need you!"

"I'm afraid I must, my grandson," Minevra replied. "But don't worry you shall find what your true destiny is in time."

With those words, his grandmother disappeared and Tirek was left alone to think about what this visitation meant to him.

With his grandmother gone, Tirek was left alone in his quarters. Before he could think another thought, he heard a knock on his door. "Who is it?" He cried.

"It's us," Cozy Glow called and rolling his eyes, Tirek let both her and Chrysalis in. Immediately, both were taken aback by Tirek's sudden angry look. "Um, did we do something wrong?"

"Other than interrupt me and my thoughts," Tirek remarked bitterly. "She was just here."

"Who?" Cozy asked even though she needn't have done so.

"Gram-Gram." Tirek groaned anew.

Remembering what Sendak had told them, Chrysalis and Cozy Glow decided to get to the bottom of Tirek's issues. "You do realize she's dead, right?" Cozy wondered, sitting next to her father figure on the edge of his bed.

"Of course, I realize she's dead. But her spirit still lives long after the body was destroyed!" Tirek hissed.

"Well, what did she say to you tonight?" Chrysalis asked.

"She told me that everything I've been doing is wrong," Tirek explained, getting back to his feet. "Absorbing magic from living creatures for my own, trying to become all powerful, making the lives of others miserable. What if…what if she's right?" Looking back at his girlfriend and daughter figure, Tirek waited to see how they would react. After all, he had come to admire them as his own lover and offspring respectively.

"She's only trying to get you infected as far as I am concerned," Chrysalis remarked. "Your grandmother was infected by the magic of friendship and as a result she's dead. I saw this thinking corrupt and pollute my hive, I won't let it happen to you too!"

"Ha!" Tirek scoffed while pacing back and forth in front of Chrysalis and Cozy. "At least my grandmother was my protection alongside my mother. What if you both were in the same position as me? Hmm? You didn't have anyone to turn to when you had your bad days, did you?"

"Of course we didn't have anyone to turn to, Tirek," Cozy Glow replied. "My parents abandoned me for fame and fortune, you know that."

"And my parents taught me to rule with an iron hoof," Chrysalis added. "If not, I wouldn't be who I am today."

The more he heard from them, the more Tirek began to realize that a change needed to happen. "Then…then maybe perhaps you both are also heading in the wrong direction." He said in a hasty voice.

"What?!" Cozy Glow gasped. "How can you say that? Do you want Grogar to have us become bear food?!"

"If he does, I would at least have us go out with some dignity," Tirek protested in a loud voice before realizing he was raising his voice and immediately calmed down. "The point is, ever since I killed my father, I've been having these visions…visions of what would happen if we don't abandon the path we are following now."

Walking over to his bedroom window, Tirek looked out over the moon towards Equestria. Joining him, Cozy Glow and Chrysalis struggled to further understand what Tirek was trying to relay to them. "It happens when I sleep," Tirek continued. "I keep having these visions of all three of us being tried by Princess Twilight and her friends, convicted and executed in a gruesome manner."

"How gruesome?" Cozy Glow asked her father figure, gulping nervously.

"I don't want to get into the details," Tirek replied. "But as far as I am concerned, it's a vision that I don't want to come to pass. Because even after all I have done to make ponies miserable, I still have some dignity and respect."

Chrysalis began to sense that Tirek was becoming soft, but the centaur was quick to sense right back. "And I know what you are going to say, Chrysalis," He continued, turning around to face her and placing his hands on her shoulder. "That I must have grown soft from watching Discord being whipped. But it was a warning, I tell you. A warning of what is to come for us if we don't do something against Grogar!"

"What…what are you saying?" Cozy Glow asked. But neither she or Chrysalis were prepared for what Tirek said next.

"I'm saying that if we are to survive the growing war, we must find a way to defy Grogar and strike out for ourselves," Tirek vowed. "It's the only way!"

Both Chrysalis and Cozy Glow were stunned to hear this!

"Are you out of your mind?!" Cozy cried with a panicked look on her face. "You're talking treason, Tirek! I mean, you remember what happened to the Storm King don't you?!"

"The Storm King was blinded by Grogar's promises that he would get a kingdom of his own, Cozy Glow! And look where it got him in the end!" Tirek countered, slamming his hand on the side of the bed. "But we don't have to end up like him! I say we approach this just like we did when Discord was disguised as Grogar. If we can find a way to obtain the bell, we'd have all the power. We could make others give us the respect we deserve."

"Hello, earth to Tirek!" Cozy pointed. "This is the real Grogar we're talking about here!"

"Of course it is!" Tirek cried out, before taking a deep breath. "He may have strong powers, but he is only mortal. And every mortal has a weakness that can be exploited. The power of his bell, the one we retrieved from Mount Everhoof…twice! That's where he…"

"What you are proposing, Tirek, is madness and a fool's game!" Chrysalis protested. "Grogar is far too dangerous to deal with now. You've seen him and his bear in action before. And with Discord's magic added to his collection he is all but unstoppable."

"But he is only one creature," Tirek countered back. "And we are three separate creatures who have worked together before and can work together again. Look, the three of us each have a special bond for one another and we want to keep that bond strong, right?"

For a moment, the changeling and the young alicorn were baffled by what they heard. However, for the sake of the bond Tirek mentioned, they agreed to listen to what he had to say.

"Good," Tirek sighed. "Now, here is what we are going to do…"

Little did any of them know that right outside the room, Sombra had been overhearing what was being said. Retreating to Grogar's quarters, he informed Grogar of what they were planning to do.

"Is that so, Sombra?" Grogar remarked as he looked into a large gray book. "The creatures that I freed from their stone prison are planning to go against me, hmm?"

"Yes, my emperor," Sombra bowed. "Tirek says that you are only one creature and that…"

"I am more than just one creature, you fool!" Grogar interrupted, swaying his bell back and forth. "With my bell, I have powers far greater than anything you could ever imagine! You've seen those powers for yourself by now!" As Grogar spoke, his bell released several energies that seemed to empower him, much to Sombra's shock. For a moment, Grogar's eyes turned sickly green while his horns turned bright gold.

Seeing his superior being empowered caused Sombra to become slightly nervous. "Yes, my emperor…" Sombra stammered, slightly backing away as the powers of Grogar's bell infused him. "Your bell has powers beyond imagine."

"Very good," Grogar whispered with his eyes reverting to their normal color. "Now, I want you to keep an eye on those three and if they do anything against me…bring them in at once. Do you understand?"

Nodding, Sombra was dismissed from Grogar's quarters, feeling very tense as he prepared himself for whatever Grogar had in store.

"He fears me somewhat," Sombra thought to himself as he walked away. "But I cannot let him fear me. Grogar's my emperor and I must serve him."

Once Sombra was gone, Grogar returned to the large book on his bed, open to a section that studied the history of creatures who lived on the moon. "Now that Sombra will keep an eye on those traitors, Scarface," Grogar said to the pet grizzly. "We must focus on dealing with the outside threat from Sunset Shimmer's world. And I know just who to resurrect!" He said before laughing loud enough for all in the castle to hear.

Very soon, Grogar would bring back to life a pair of enemies that once harbored the castle he and his forces now lived in!

Meanwhile, in Canterlot General Hospital, Discord opened his eyes to find himself surrounded by Twilight Sparkle and her friends as well as several guards. "Wha…where…where am I? How did I end up here?" He whispered weakly.

"You're in the hospital, Discord," Twilight Sparkle told him, looking down at the badly injured lord of chaos. "In fact, you should be very lucky that you are alive after what Grogar did to you. But you'll live, and for that we can all be mighty grateful," Then, taking a quill and parchment in her aura, Twilight looked down at Discord with a firm, yet concerned look on her face. "Now," She said in an equally firm, yet concerned tone. "You are going to reveal to us exactly what you have learned while you were spying on Grogar and the Legion of Doom…truthfully and honestly."

Taking a deep breath, Discord prepared to reveal what he had learned. But, he then had a concern he needed to share. "Fluttershy," He whimpered, looking over to the Princess of Kindness. "I want you to leave this room."

"Why?" Fluttershy asked.

"The things I am going to reveal might upset you," Discord replied. "Please, go outside, for your own sake."

"She's a princess of Equestria, Discord," Twilight advised. "She needs to hear everything along with the rest of us. She must be brought up to speed. You can't keep her out of this."

"Don't worry, Discord," Fluttershy reassured. "I've dealt with much worse. If I don't know what you know I can't help you."

Sensing there were no better options, Discord relayed his findings to Twilight and the others just as the three villains who had betrayed him before plotted to do the same thing to the real Grogar. But, Grogar was certain he'd be ready for them when the time came!

PreviousChapters Next