• Published 6th Sep 2020
  • 2,303 Views, 173 Comments

Deep Rock Equestria: Into The Abyss - The Atlantean



Sunset Shimmer and her friends at CHS find themselves working for the mining corporation Deep Rock Galactic and must survive the depths of Hoxxes IV to return home.

  • ...
4
 173
 2,303

PreviousChapters Next
15. [Sunset Shimmer] Rock And Stone!

Sunset Shimmer felt the Drop Pod clank to a stop as the Space Rig’s magnetic clamps locked on to the scorched machine. The door clunked open, and the Rig’s comparatively bright lighting blinded her temporarily.

Rainbow Dash was the first to stand as she practically bounced out of her seat and ran down the ramp to the main deck. “We just killed a Bulk Detonator, guys!” she cheered. “Come on, let’s celebrate!”

“Right behind you, Rainbow,” Applejack called as she undid her straps. She followed Rainbow Dash out of the Pod and leaped over the railing, landing into a roll on the deck as she raced to the bar.

Sunset laughed. It was good to see her friends being, well...friends, and their antics brought some much-needed cheer. She looked over at Rarity, smiling, and undid her seat straps.

“Hey, Rarity, you okay?” she asked.

“I’ll be alright, thank you,” Rarity replied. “My head still hurts from that blast I took.”

“Maybe something from the kitchen can help?” Sunset prodded.

Rarity looked thoughtful. “Perhaps some water. Beer is not my type. If they had wine, I would gladly drink some.”

Sunset shook her head and left the Drop Pod, listening to her boots clank against the metal grating as she walked. The now-familiar strange smell of whatever Pinkie Pie had whipped up in the kitchens wafted up her nose, and she paused to take it in. Fluttershy had lived for the simpler things in life, and with her gone, Sunset had started to gain a great appreciation for those same things.

“Yo! Sunset!” Rainbow Dash yelled from the bar. “Greg says he's got a round of drinks on the house today, 'company rank be damned'!”

“I’m coming,” she yelled back. She looked around the Rig, satisfied with her day’s work.

“How was your mission, Greenbeard?” a gruff veteran dwarf asked from somewhere on her right. “It appears to have gone well.”

Sunset turned to face the dwarf. He looked scruffy and old, but age hadn’t forced him from the mines quite yet. His long, glorious graying beard was adorned with gems of all kinds, and his dark green eyes held more memories of Hoxxes than Sunset had for her entire life.

“It did,” she replied. “We killed a Bulk Detonator today. Our first, actually.”

“Rock and Stone, Greenbeard. Well done.”

“What?”

A hint of surprise glinted in the dwarf’s eyes. “You don’t know the salute? Rock and Stone, our greatest cheer, passed down from Karl himself. It is time-honored and appropriate for any great accomplishment, or for greeting other dwarves.”

“How do I reply?”

“By saying it back, of course.”

Sunset grinned. “Rock and Stone, then.”

“To the bone, Greenbeard.”

Rarity leaned against the railing surrounding the launch bay as she left the Drop Pod. “What’s all this about rocks and stones?” she asked.

“It’s a great shout and salute,” Sunset explained. “The dwarves use it in celebration of great victories and also just having fun. Seeing as you killed that Bulk, how about you start?”

“How do I do that?”

“I don't know. Maybe you can ask if you heard a ‘Rock and Stone’ as loud as you can.”

“Like this?” Rarity steadied herself, took a deep breath, and called out in a voice that carried through the halls of the Rig, “Did I hear a ‘Rock and Stone’?”

For several seconds, nothing happened. Then replies echoed back from various other rooms and halls:

“Rock and Stone!”

“Rock and Stone, brother!”

“Rock and Stone to the bone!”

“ROCK. AND. STOOOOONE!”

“Rock and roll in stone!”

“Rock and Stone!”

“Rock on!”

“Rock and Stone!”

“That’s it, lads! Rock and Stone!”

“Rock and Stone, everyone!”

Sunset couldn’t help but break into the biggest grin ever as she heard all the replies. She felt an instinctual urge to grab her pickaxe and yell back--which she did, holding the tool high above her head as she yelled, “Rock and Stone!”

“Rock solid!” That was Rainbow Dash.

Applejack: “Rock and Stone, y’all!”

“Rock’n’roll!” Pinkie called from the kitchens amid another round of ‘Rock and Stone’s around her.

“If you don’t Rock and Stone, you ain’t comin’ home!”

“Rock and Stone!”

“Stone!”

It went on for several minutes, gradually dying down as everyone went back to what they had been doing before the chain.

“So, you’re the one who actually killed the Detonator?” the veteran dwarf asked Rarity once the replies finished.

Rarity straightened her posture and nodded. “Yes, I am.”

“With a power attack!” Sunset added.

“A dangerous move, and a worthy kill,” the dwarf said. “Karl would be proud. Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to my team and rest. We plan to journey to the Black Heart of Hoxxes tonight when the new week’s Deep Dives are released.”

“Wait!” Sunset called after him as he walked away. “What’s your name?”

“Falan,” he called back. “Engineer, Team 17-X.”

“But the lettering only goes to G. There is no 17-X!”

Falan stopped, turned around, and gave Sunset and Rarity and wary smile. “Every station has an X Team. We run the Experimental Branch of the Mission Assignment Software to ensure that it is safe and accurate for the rest of you, which often puts us against new beasts and biomes. I must go.”

Sunset’s shoulders fell. “Can you tell your team I said ‘Rock and Stone’, then?”

Falan had already gone nearly out of earshot, but Sunset was sure he replied, “It would be my pleasure. Rock and Stone, Greenbeard.”

Author's Note:

Representing all those poor souls brave miners who decide to go first into the new stuff as well as adding some (well deserved) salutes.

Rock and Stone, everyone!

PreviousChapters Next