• Published 4th Sep 2020
  • 3,885 Views, 60 Comments

Twilight adopts a foal. The adventures of Comet Dust - Itztli FP



An orphan and lonely colt with a peculiar appearance, fear of ponies and the wish of find a familly. His wish comes true when Twilight Sparkle decides to adopt him and take him lo live in Ponyville with him.

  • ...
3
 60
 3,885

Chapter 2 A start with ups and downs

Chapter 2. A start with ups and downs.

So, here it is, the second chapter of the history of Comet. Thanks to all who told me my errors, I hope I can keep improving.
I hope you like it.


Twilight was in the dinner room next to an exhausted Spike.

The last three days were quite hectic to her. The adoption of Comet had been the quietest, along with the return to Ponyville, in which both Twilight and Comet had fallen asleep on the train. Since then, all had been quite moved.

The moment they arrived to the castle, it seemed that Comet had forgotten all the tiredness of how exited he was. He ran into the building, marveling at the peculiar crystal structure he was in, it seemed even bigger inside than outside.

Having Comet running and yelling everywhere it was the least she needed, she was tired of the trip and there was still a lot to do. And if that was not enough, Spike started to question her for the decision she has taken, while she was doing all in her hooves to not lose her mind and explain the best she could what was happen and she had all under control.

Then, she had to stop a little argue between Spike and Comet because he called Spike lizard. Spike started to plead, offended by the colt´s comment, even if he hadn't meant it maliciously. He had never seen a dragon before, much less a baby dragon.

After separating those two and clearing up the misunderstanding, they had a quick dinner and then got ready to sleep, at least in Twilight´s head that would happen. But, unfortunately, dinner had only activated Comet even more.

"Where is this child's switch?" Twilight thought as she chased Comet around all over the castle.

Exhausted and unable to stop Comet in any way, she lay, exhausted, on a couch in her library and gradually fell asleep.

The next morning, she woke up, still in the same couch, accompanied by a sleeping foal hugging her.

That day, they decided to choose a room for Comet, something easier said than done. The castle was full of empty rooms and, of course, Comet wanted to see all of them to make a decision, but Twilight understood that coming from a foal that had slept all its life in a room with another children, having a room of his own was something special and he wanted to make sure he had a place that he liked.

The entire day they were seen dozens of rooms without Comet deciding on one, so he slept with Twilight that night.

The next morning, Comet decided for a fairly large room that received a lot of sunlight through the large windows it had, it couldn't be other one that a room full of boxes and stuff that Twilight had sent to bring from her old room in Canterlot. Piles of books, boxes, scrolls and objects they had been left in that room because they had no time to place them in anywhere else.

Without convincing Comet to choose another of the rooms that were left free, they began the arduous task of remove every box and object to replace them in other room large enough to store them all.

Even with Spike and Comet's help, it took an entire day and a half for them to free up all the space, only leaving a few boxes and blankets to make Comet a makeshift bed. Despite being a very organized and meticulous pony, adopting Comet had been rather improvised, she done it more on impulse, so she had nothing with which welcome the foal, at least, not until she buys some furniture for him.

The rest of the day, they clean and dust off the room so he could sleep there that night. They put a thin mattress above some boxes they had left, they put some blankets on it and Comet borrowed a pillow from Spike to be more comfortable.

After such hard work, even Comet seemed to be tired, he hadn't gotten up yet. However, she couldn't let herself rest that day. They still needed buy a bed for Comet, a bureau, some booksellers, a desk a closet and maybe a dresser with mirror. Also, she was excited to tell the good news to her friends, family and, why not, to Princess Celestia.

"Good morning". Comet interrupted her thoughts as he greeted them with a yawn.

"Good morning, Comet. Did you sleep well?". Twilight answered.

"Kind of, that mattress makes me miss the orphanage bed". He joked as he sat next to Spike ready to eat his breakfast.

"That was what I wanted to talk to you about". Twilight said. "We're going to buy you some things for your room, so you must hurry up".

"What kind of stuff" He asked while he was tackling his mouth with pancakes Spike had made.

"Don't talk with your mouth fill". Twilight chided him. "Well, you need a bed and some other furniture, decorations, books…"

"Oh, I see. Sounds good to me" He said eating another pancake. "This is delicious"

"I'm glad you liked them. It's a recipe Pinkie Pie gave me, she is a great baker, but I'm still having the feeling they're missing something, I just can't found out what's her secret". Spike said.

"Pinkie Pie". Comet asked a little confused.

"It's one of our friends, if you hurry up maybe you could meet her". Twilight explained.

"Great". He said eating the last pancake on his plate. "Finished. I'll go get ready for…

"Where do you think you're going? You still missing that" Twilight stopped him as she pointed a bowl full of sliced fruit which Comet hadn't even touched.

"But…". He tried to reply when he noticed Twilight had found him out.

"No buts. Sit down and eat it". Twilight finished the discussion.

Grumbling under his breath he returned to his seat, watching what in his eyes was a disgusting jumble of apple, banana, something that he wasn't sure if it was melon, some blackberries and mango. The last two days he had avoided eating it, leaving the dinner room before Twilight could notice him, but everything indicated that she wasn't going to allow him a third time.

"Twilight…" The foal said, not very sure if it was correct to call her mom, since, after all, she had adopted him, but she was still the princes, besides, she had told him to call her Twilight.

"¿Yes?". She answered waiting for Comet's reply.

"This has mango"

"Mmhmm". She answered by not paying much attention to Comet's complaints.

"I'm allergic to mango". He said making up an excuse to not eat.

"Oh, I didn't know that, well, don't eat it". She said disconcerted.

"But, everything is whipped with mango". He said plaintively, hoping Twilight would set him free.

"Don't worry, take mine". Spike said innocently, passing him his own bowl. "I'm not a big fan of mango, so I don't usually eat it, but I can make an exception today. Don't worry I'll remember not to serve you tomorrow".

"Thanks Spike, how nice you are, don't you think, Comet?" Twilight said with his normal voice, as if she really had believed Comet's allergy, too well to believe her.

"Yeah, thanks Spike" Comet said with a fake smile, trying to hide his annoyance and frustration with the little dragon for ruining his plans.

With no more excuses to make up, he reluctantly ate the fruit. To his surprise, it wasn't that bad he had expected, actually, it was incredibly delicious, specially the apples, sweet and juicy, nothing compared to the tasteless and dry found in Canterlot.

In the end, he finished the entire bowl, leaving only the berries, too sour to his taste.

"Finished". Comet said, leaving the bowl on the table. "May I leave now?"

"You missed the berries." Twilight said, more disconcerted than upset.

"I didn't like them." Comet said, telling her the truth this time.

"Alright, you can go." Twilight finally said with a smile, seeing that other than that, he had eaten the rest.

Comet ran out of the room, ready to take a bath, with all that had happened the last days, he hadn't had a chance to do it, so this was his best opportunity before the day was gone again.

"Twilight…" He stopped at the dinner room's door.

"¿Yes?" She answered, turning around so she could see the foal.

"What I said before, about being allergic to mango, wasn't true." He confessed ashamed. "I said it because I didn't want to eat the fruit."

"I Know" she answered, giving Comet a kind smile.

"¿What?" He exclaimed surprised. "How could you even…"

"I saw your medical reports the adoption day and it didn't say anything about allergies." She answered calmly, still smiling to Comet. "But I'm glad you'd been honest with me."

"I don't understand. I you knew I was lying all the time, why you didn't say anything?

"It's true, I could have said something at any time, but I preferred to wait for you to do it. Tell me, don't you feel better now you said the truth?

After thinking of it for a moment, Comet realized that Twilight was right. After trying and realizing that the fruit cocktail wasn't as bad as he thought, he started to feel bad, guilty for having lied to the mare who had trusted him and ashamed for the way he had acted. Which had prompted him to tell her the truth. Now he felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

In response, he gave Twilight a tender look and a sincere smile.


Comet was very excited to finally get out of the castle, not only wanting to go shopping with Twilight, also he was eager to explore the new place. In Canterlot, he hadn't had much time to see the city, he spent most of his time in his room and wasn't allowed to leave the building, except for his visits to the library in he was always accompanied by Cary. The few times he did escape he didn't go more than a couple of streets, so touring the town was a new experience.

The moment they arrived at the market, all excitement turned into nervousness. He was paralyzed when he saw the large numerous of ponies there were, too many for his liking. He had never seen so many ponies in one place, the thought of having to walk between all of them and pass by them sides was enough to make him cold sweat.

He walked very close to Twilight, behind her, with his head down, turning his head nervously everywhere, trying to hide his white eye. Maybe it was just his imagination, but he felt every pony staring at him, watching him, in the same way other ponies did it before; some ponies might think he looks great, others were indifferent, but the most of them did it with dislike, like a freak, always muttering about how horrible he looked.

Comet hit Twilight when she stopped in front of a store which only sold beds, something rare, he'd always thought a furniture store would sell all kinds of furniture, not just one.

"We're here." Twilight said, immediately noticing the change of Comet's humor, who was still trying to hide behind her. "Is everything alright?" She asked him.

"Ah… yeah, everything's fine." He answered forcing a smile, trying not worry Twilight. "let´s go in…" He indicates, walking as fast as he could.

Inside the store, he hadn't had time to relax and calm his nerves, the salespony greeted him surprisingly, making him jump in fear.

"Hello there, welcome to…"

Quickly, he went to hide behind a surprised Twilight, she hadn't saw Comet act like this before.

"I'm sorry, kid, I didn't mean to scare you." The salespony kindly apologized. It was a pony of brown fur, dressed with a suit and a tie.

Comet didn't say anything, he just kept shyly staring at him behind Twilight, preventing him to see his left eye.

"He's a little shy." The salespony muttered for himself.

"I'm sorry, he is new in the town." Twilight said, making the salespony stopped paying attention to Comet, so he could relax.

"Princess… It´s a great honor to have you here in my store." Said the pony bowing. "I'm Feather Pillow, feel free to check and prove all the beds you want. If you need anything, just call me and I'll be there immediately."

"Thanks." Twilight said, feeling strange for the special attention he was giving her. "Actually, we're looking for something for him." She said pointing to Comet.

"No problem." He answered making another bow. "Follow me. We have a great variety of individual beds, I'm pretty sure you'll find one you like it."

Feather Pillow lead them to the center of the store, where there were exhibit a great variety of individual beds, since the simplest, which were literally a mattress with four legs, bunk beds, to the most elaborated and expensive ones.

Twilight indicated the pony he could leave and they would call him when they made a decision. It wasn't until he was several feet away that comet dare to step out, proving Twilight suspicion thus, Comet was afraid of interactive with other ponies.

Actually, Comet wasn´t afraid of ponies, but rather his reaction to seeing him. Ha had always received ridicule and nicknames from the other children, being rejected by them, which is why he avoided socializing and preferred to stay alone, thus preventing that part from developing. The time when spent with most ponies was the meals, ignoring all his companions and finishing as quickly as possible to get out of there.

Luckily, the store was almost empty, except for the salespony, who was already far away and a couple of mares in a corner of the store, vaguely seeing the beds while gossiping. None of them was close enough to see him, thus everything was under control.

Thus, Comet started to see the different beds, completely forgetting about the other ponies there, avoiding the conversation with Twilight about what had just happened. Slowly he was relaxing, acting more normally and speaking with a little more fluency.

He was testing a bed he really liked. A wooden bed, not too soft, not too firm. It had a simple design: the headboard, the support and the mattress. He was concentrated in his own thoughts and how it would look in his room.

"How awful. Look at his eye." One of the mares yelled, taking Comet by surprise.

He hadn't seen when they had approached, not even when they had started to mom from the corner, ha was so immersed in his mind that he had completely forgotten they were there.

"Let´s get out of here, it could be contagious." The other mare said with disgust. "Now they let anyone in."

They quickly leave the building, without even giving Twilight time to react and reprimand them.

In less than a blink, Comet´s spirit fell suddenly from a happy gaze, that was beginning to recover, to a sad one, almost on the verge of tears; her lip trembled a little and he instinctively covered his eye with his hoof and lowered his head, hiding himself.

"Don't listen to them, they don't know what they're saying." Twilight said trying to comfort the colt.

"I wanna leave." Comet replied with a brittle voice without even looking at twilight, doing his best to not cry.

Then, Comet got off the bed y started to walk towards the exit, still covering his eye with his hoof.

"Comet, wait…" Twilight tried to stop him. "You don't have to listen to them, those two always exaggerate everything. What about your bed?" She said trying the impossible to convince him.

"Choose one, I'll wait outside." Comet answered as a tear started to fall down his cheek.

In the end, Twilight chose the las bed they had seen, since, apparently, it was the one Comet had liked the most. Once the purchase was finished, the salespony, very ashamed, apologized for the behavior of the two mares, implying that he had seen Comet's condition as well, but he preferred to spare his comments.

Without giving more importance to the matter, Twilight went in search for Comet, she needed to fix things with him, she had to show him that he wasn't alone, now he had her to support him o or simply comfort him.

It didn't take too long to find him; he hadn't gone too far. Comet was sitting in the shade next to the store, hiding behind some pots with his back to the street.

"Comet, how you're feeling?" Twilight asked automatically, noticing how silly the question had been.

"Why I'm so different?" He asked with a weak voice, showing his sadness, as he stared at his reflect on the window with contempt.

"You're not different…" She replied, feeling his heart sinking at the colt´s question.

"Then, why everypony looks at me that way? What have I done to be treated like that? Why does it bother them so much how I am?" Asked the colt starting to cry.

"Comet, listen to me." Twilight said to get Comet's attention while hugging him. "You hadn't done anything wrong, you don't have to feel guilty for anything. You're not different from anypony. If they don't want to see it, then they are the ones with the problem, not you"

Comet stayed between Twilight arms for several minutes until he managed calm down, partly venting the discomfort the mares had made him feel and a little of everything he had to endure all those years.

"So, my eye doesn't bother you?" He asked shyly.

"Not at all." She answered. "I think is cute. It's something special that only you have." She added giving him a smile.

Thanks to Twilight's words, Comet was able to draw a small, but sincere, smile on his face. He was still afraid that other ponies would see him, but knowing that Twilight didn't care about his appearance and, moreover, she liked it, was all he needed for the moment and it was more than enough to calm his nervousness, at least for a while.

"What do you have on your head?" Twilight asked when they pulled apart, trying to change the subject.

"Ouch¡ Careful…" He screamed, complaining of the pain when Twilight started pulling what looks like a little branch tangled in his white hair.

"It doen't come out. It's stuck." She said still pulling it trying to get it out of his hair. "How did this get there?"

"It must be from those plants." He replied, making Twilight stop, as this only make his hair tug and tangle even more. "Leave it. Is useless. You will only make it worse. It will come out someday."

"We can´t leave that tangled up in your hair." She replied, reluctant to follow Comet's indications. "There must be a way to remove the branch without having to cut your hair and, also, helps you untangle it so this would never happen again, and I know the perfect pony for the task."

"It's impossible, Twilight, I've already tried"

"Not for her." She answered with an arrogant gaze. "Let's finish our shopping so we could pay her a visit.

"To who?" Comet asked intrigued.

"To Rarity."

Author's Note:

Thanks to all who got here. All your reviews, comnts and criticisms are welcome.

A kiss and a hug. Until the next chapter.