• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,424 Views, 24 Comments

The Big Payback - GlueFactory



The Mane 6 plan the mother of all pranks.

  • ...
3
 24
 1,424

The Sting

Applejack woke up with a groan as the sunlight hit her face. Even after spending all of yesterday galloping, sneaking, fibbing, building up contraptions and breaking them down again, she couldn’t sleep worth one wink. Too exhausted to move yet not comfortable enough to finally drift off, Applejack could feel every agonizing minute she was awake. How many times did she change her position in bed? How many times did she flip her pillow over? How many times did she kick the covers off her bed?

Yawning, the earth pony grabbed her stetson off the nightstand, revealing her alarm clock.

Her alarm clock she forgot to set and now said it was past mid-morning.

“Aw, consarn it!” cursed AJ, rubbing her noggin in a failed attempt to hold back a headache.

Tromping downstairs to the kitchen, AJ spotted Applebloom cleaning up the plates of what previously looked like a delicious breakfast.

“Welly well well,” said Applebloom, trying her best to scold despite her grin. “Look who’s finally up.”

Applejack grimaced from another sting in her head. An earful from her smug sister was the last thing she needed today.

“Y’all coulda tried wakin’ me,” she grumbled.

“Granny went to the market, Big Mac has chores and I tried all day to wake you,” huffed Applebloom, carrying a stack of dirty dishes to the soapy sink. “But all ya did was turn over and cover yer head. We thought you caught a cold or something last night. Ya never did tell anypony where you were.”

Applebloom was right. With all the hush-hush from last night’s botched prank, Applejack didn’t even tell her family where she was going or what she was doing. Even in her sour mood, she could still never bring herself to lie to her sister.

“Well... uh,” murmured Applejack, grasping for words. “Ya see... well... truth is...”

“Oooo!” chirped Applebloom, ignoring her big sister’s uneasiness. “Were you at Sapphire Shores big concert?”

“Yeah... I guess you could say...”

“I heard it was loads o’ fun,” said Applebloom who now was looking down, lightly pawing the floor. “I didn’t go cause I was still mad for Big Mac. I... I was even hoping something bad or humiliatin’ would happen to her on stage, on account of breakin’ ma’ big brothers’ heart.”

Applejack felt her heart drop into her stomach. She hadn’t seen Applebloom look this ashamed since she tried to prank her cousin, Babs Seed. In that moment, Applejack felt that if she could, she’d give herself a well-deserved buck right in her own hindquarters.

“Applebloom... I,” she whispered.

“But hoo boy was I wrong!” beamed Applebloom, giving a small cheerful bounce. “That’s why I wanted to wake you up so bad.”

“Huh?”

“Ya just missed her!”

“Missed who?”

“Who do ya mean who!? Sapphire Shores! Duh!”

--------

She didn’t know now, but somehow Applejack’s figured her eyes were spinning yearns to her brain. The South field was completely bucked with each tree accompanied with two large baskets full of apples. Not only that, the North fields were plowed, the hogs were fed, the wood was chopped and even the barn was given a fresh coat of paint. It wasn’t even the afternoon yet.

“Tarnation,” gasped Applejack, looking out at what looks like a full days worth of chores done in a few scant hours.

“Yo Big Mac!” called Applebloom. “Look who’s up!”

From out of another crop of apple trees, half of which looked already bucked and collected, came Big Macintosh. His mane looked matted down with sweat, his hooves and legs were stained with dirt and soot and his coat was splotched with paint and mud.

He never looked happier.

“Uh, good mornin’ Mac,” said Applejack, still unable to wipe off her stunned face.

“Eeeeeeeup!” answered Big Mac, grinning from ear to ear.

“You did... all this?”

“Eeeeeup!”

“With no help from nopony?”

“Eeeeeeup!”

“Even though you hate feedin’ the hogs!?”

“Eeeeeeup!”

“Applebloom? Is our big brother okay?”

“Eeeeeeup!” smiled Applebloom.

“What gives?”

“It’s like I was sayin’” said Applebloom. “Sapphire Shores showed up just this morning.”

Galloping over to the side of the house, Applebloom pushed out a familiar small cart loaded with records, pictures and various memorabilia. The little filly pulled out a record cover and stuck it in her big sisters face. Across the cover was the smiling, winking profile of Sapphire which still made Applejack tighten her jaw. But right underneath was something that caused her jaw to suddenly drop.

“To Big Macintosh, my number one fan. With love, Sapphire Shores.”

“She signed every record, every picture, every piece of merch-en-dice Big Mac had!” said Applebloom.

“She did all that for Big Mac?” asked Applejack. She knew for a fact that Big Mac had been avid Sapphire fan for years, so his collection had to be more than substantial.

“That’s not all she signed,” smirked Applebloom. The filly leaped onto her brother, grabbing his head and tilting the left side to her sister. Right on Big Mac’s bright red cheek was a sparkly blue lip imprint. Somehow, Applejack knew her brother was blushing through his red fur.

“Ain’t he a sly dog?” laughed Applebloom, giving Mac a hug.

“Heh,” chucked Applejack. “That’s... well... real nice o’ her.”

“Eeeeup,” answered Big Mac, hiding his face under a large hoof.

“What’s wrong sis?” asked Applebloom.

Even with all the smiling faces, Applejack couldn’t find herself wanting to join in. With a snort, she pulled the brim of her stetson down.

“I wouldn’t normally ask this,” said Applejack. “But could y’all cover fer me for a awhile?”

Her siblings shared a confused glance before looking back at their mutual middle sister.

“Eeeup,” smiled Big Mac.

“Sure,” added Applebloom. “But what fer?”

“I got somewhere important I need to be,” answered Applejack. “But first...”

AJ turned and headed back to the house with determination in her eyes.

“I gotta bake somethin’...”

---------

“Looks like we all had the same idea,” said Twilight, giving a sheepish grin to Applejack.

On the path to Fluttershy’s cottage, AJ found herself joining up with Twilight Sparkle, who had happened to trot into Rarity, who just so happened to be traveling alongside Pinkie Pie. All four ponies sported saddlebags.

“What did you bring?” asked Pinkie Pie, trying her best to stay cheerful. “Smells nice.”

“Not much,” replied Applejack. “Just a batch of my apple turnovers. I remember them being her favorite. You?’

“Banana walnut and honey macaroons,” answered Pinkie.

“Whoa. Don’t those take a while to bake?”

“Yeah... I... I couldn’t sleep.”

“Same here,” joined in Twilight. “I have a book on the flora and fauna of Saddle Arabia. Do you think she’ll like it?”

“I think so,” assured Rarity. “I just hope she’ll like my alpaca crocheted scarf. She always had her eye on it, so I thought... well, you know...”

“She’ll love it,” smiled Applejack, before looking down in thought. “So, uh, what happened to y’all?”

The three ponies looked at each other.

“She visited me at Sugarcube Corner,” beeped Pinkie Pie. “She apologized for what happened asked if I do my ‘Welcome’ song for her. She even stayed for the encore!”

“I got a letter this morning at my boutique,” tittered Rarity. “Ms. Shores asked me to breakfast and asked me to bring a bunch of my latest designs with as well, including my latest work.”

“I get a knock at the library door at mid-morning and it’s Ms. Shores offering an apology and said she’d love to use the ball lightning cloud Rainbow and I made for her next concert!” said Twilight.

“Wow, that’s great,” commented Applejack. “Uh... speaking of who...?”

“We were about to ask you the same thing,” admitted Twilight. “But we haven’t seen Rainbow Dash at all today.”

“Do you think she knows about anything that’s happened today?” asked Rarity.

“Is she still mad at Fluttershy?” squeaked Pinkie.

Twilight wished she had some sort of answer. “I hope not,” was all she could offer.

“Welp,” said Applejack. “Looks like we’re here.”

All the conversing passed enough time that Fluttershy’s home now stood before them. While typically one could make out all sorts of activity through the windows; scurrying critters, birds and the occasional bear, today the cottage looked vacated of any and all animals.

Twilight, taking the initiative, trotted up to the front door, giving a quick but solid rap.

“Fluttershy,” she called out. “Are you home? It’s...”

Twilight looked back at her assembled group.

“Well... it’s everypony.”

“Almost everypony,” whispered Applejack. “Where the hay is Rainbow?”

“I wish I knew,” fretted Rarity, eliciting a gulp from Pinkie Pie.

“Listen!” continued Twilight. “I think I speak for everypony when I say we’re really really sorry about last night.”

“I can vouch for Twi,” joined in Applejack. “I feel terrible for what we almost did.”

“We almost made the biggest mistake of our lives,” added Pinkie Pie.

“You were completely in the right to try and stop us,” added Rarity.

“Sapphire Shores apologized to each of us this morning,” concluded Twilight. “But even if she didn’t, it was wrong of us to want to get back at her like that. I hope you can forgive us.”

Silence.

“Fluttershy,” cried Twilight. “Please, just talk to us!”

“C’mon, sugarcube!” called out Applejack, respectfully removing her stetson. “I know we done ya wrong, but please don’t hold it against us!”

“You have every right to be upset!” cried Rarity. “But please don’t shut us out like this!”

“Fluttershy!” yelled Pinkie, her voice cracking. “Please... please don’t hate us...”

“Will you guys knock it off already!?”

Everypony took two steps back, a stunned quiet shared between them. Until...

“Wait,” muttered Twilight. “That didn’t sound like Fluttershy.”

“Uh, yeah! That’s cause it wasn’t!”

Flying just above Fluttershy’s cottage was a familiar blue pegasus with a familiar blue scowl.

“Rainbow!” yelled everypony.

“Yeesh,” she sighed. “Try being a little louder next time. If you four wanna make some noise then meet me round back, the party’s just getting started.”

“Did she just say,” began Rarity.

“Party!?” finished Pinkie as she zoomed past the others toward the backyard.

-------------

It may not have been a Pinkie Pie level party, but Pinkie was never one to judge. Fluttershy’s backyard was teeming with every manner of animal from the surrounding nature. From the look of things, it felt like a miniature birthday party. The center of which sat Angel bunny, holding court atop a old log covered with some comfortable moss. As the four ponies trotted in, Rainbow fluttered over the birthday bunny.

“Hey big guy,” said Rainbow. “Sorry ‘bout the racket. Can I get you some more juice?”

Angel shoved a small hollowed out acorn in Rainbow’s hoof before unceremoniously waving her away.

“Comin’ up! Hey Fluttershy, you need anything else?”

Carrying a basket of acorns, peanuts and other various pet foods was Fluttershy.

“Oh, no thank you.”

“Aw, c’mon Fluttershy, I told you I’ve got this. Go be with your birthday bunny.”

“Well, if you say so.”

With a quick swoop, Rainbow took the basket of treats in her mouth and flew back to the cottage, distributing treats as she went.

“Fluttershy!” screamed Pinkie.

“Oh hey - ooof!”

With a tackle that could’ve gotten Pinkie scouted by Fillydelphia Flyers, Pinkie buried her face into Fluttershy’s stomach.

“Oh you beautiful, wonderful, morally upright pegasus!” cried Pinkie. “We’re so so soooooo-

“It’s okay, Pinkie,” strained Fluttershy. “I heard everything..”

“So this is where Rainbow ended up,” observed Twilight.

“It’s funny,” said Fluttershy getting back on her hooves despite a Pinkie still attached to her. “She showed up at my door first thing in the morning. I mentioned to her about Angel’s birthday and she insisted on putting together a party. She wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

“Aw,” cooed Rarity. “That so very kind-hearted of you Rainbow.”

“No big,” stated Rainbow, carrying a tray of carrot juice filled acorns. “I was a total jerk, so I’ve got a lot of making up to do.”

“So when did you hear about Sapphire taking back our lightning cloud?”

“She did!?” shouted Rainbow, nearly spilling the tray. “That’s awesome!”

“Wait a sec,” asked Applejack. “Ya mean ya didn’t even know about this morning?”

“Know what?’ puzzled Rainbow.

“Rainbow...” sniffed Twilight.

As the pegasus put down her tray she was overtaken with a pair of purple hooves thrown around her neck in a tight hug.

“You really are a true blue friend, you know that?” said Twilight.

“Heh, I’ll give you the blue part,” replied Rainbow. “But if you’re looking for true, try the other pegasus.”

“Oh Rainbow,” blushed Fluttershy, dragging a still hugging Pinkie alongside. “I didn’t really do anything...”

“Still little miss modesty,” smirked Rainbow, shifting around Twilight’s hug.

“Oh,” blubbered Rarity, her hooves near her mouth. “This is just too precious.... Applejack?”

“Uh, yeah Rar-?” AJ paused. “Oh boy....”

With a sigh, AJ was bound up in a hug from the white unicorn as she smushed their cheeks together.

“This time, I don’t even care that you smell like a barn!” cried Rarity.

“Gee thanks,” sneered Applejack.

“Um, I hope I’m not interrupting anything,” said a voice from behind.

Everypony turned to see a yellow mare. Though from what she usually wore, her dress could be considered much more conservative, though the added jewels were a nice touch.

“S-sapphire shores,” said Rarity, dropping Applejack.

“Hey Rarity,” smiled Sapphire as she shook hooves with the unicorn. “I just wanted to stop by to talk to your friend.”

“You mean, Fluttershy?” asked Rarity.

“That’s your name?” said Sapphire, trotting over to the pegasus. “It’s pretty.”

“Thank you,” said Fluttershy as she shook hooves with the pop star.

“That’s Sapphire Shores?” whispered Applejack.

“Who did you think...?” replied Rarity before struck with a realization. “Wait a moment, you were ready to come to hoofticuffs with Sapphire Shores and you didn’t even know what she looked like?”

“I figured I’d just clobber the posh-ist looking pony,” mused Applejack.

“Unbelievable,” grumbled Rarity.

Thankfully, Sapphire Shores didn’t hear the exchange.

“Fluttershy,” she said, nervously rubbing her front hooves. “I just wanted to thank you for last night, and to say I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay, really,” said Fluttershy. “I dumped a lot on you, so I don’t blame you for being upset.”

“But that’s just it. When you’re on tour for months on end, yeah, you start to get a little testy at someponies. But I had no excuse for what I did and what it almost led to. So, thank for being so honest with me.”

The word, “honest,” brought a sudden sense of foreboding among the other ponies.

“Um, I’m sorry to butt in,” said Twilight. “But what exactly did you tell Ms. Shores, Fluttershy?”

“She told me everything,” replied Sapphire.

Without thinking AJ and Rainbow were on the lookout for any burly stallions wearing shades. Rarity thought out fast she could cobble together an impromptu vacation and Twilight considered staying in the library for the rest of the year.

“So she told you e-everything?” gulped Twilight.

“Yeah, about how I acted the when I arrived in Ponyville,” said Sapphire. “About how her friends were angry and miserable because of what I did. She said she didn’t blame me, but all the same, she said I should know that her friends were really hurting.”

“What?” whispered Twilight.

“Granted, I didn’t react well when she told me. I even cancelled my encore I was so mad. But then... when I started thinking about it. I felt really terrible. Here I was having to face up to what I did and instead I up and cancel my show, disappointing the whole town. So, I guess I’m trying to make up for being a real lousy guest.”

“So...” inquired Rarity. “She didn’t tell you anything else?”

“There really wasn’t much else to say,” said Sapphire.

“The pie was my idea!” proudly announced Pinkie.

“Pie?”

Fluttershy ducked as a barrage of hooves of every color covered Pinkie’s mouth in a pathetic attempt to look like a impromptu group hug.

“Ha ha ha!” laughed Twilight, a little too loud. “Isn’t she a kidder?!”

“About what... never mind,” replied Sapphire. “I just wanted all of you to know that you’re all real lucky to have a friend like her.”

“Yeah,” smiled Rainbow. “We know.”

“Well,” Sapphire cleared her throat. “I’ve gotta hit the mayor’s office, see if I can squeeze in a last minute show tonight before we go to Canterlot.”

“Wait please,” mewed Fluttershy, flying in front of Sapphire. “If you have time, would you like to stay for a minute? We’re having a birthday party.”

“Really?” asked Sapphire. “Whose?”

“Him,” pointed Fluttershy.

“Um.... the rabbit?”

“Technically he’s a still a bunny, but yes.”

“You’re having a party for your pet bunny?’

“Oh I don’t think of him as a pet, more like a roommate.”

“..... eh. Why not? I’ve done stranger concerts.”

As Sapphire trotted towards the now fully blown away Angel, seeing as a world-famous singer just gatecrashed his party, Fluttershy was surrounded by her very confused friends.

“So...” whispered Applejack. “You didn’t tell her anything else?”

“About.. you know?” added Twilight.

“Well,” said Fluttershy. “Nothing bad happened, right? No sense in making things even more complicated.”

“Goodness,” sighed Rarity. “We really owe you for this.”

“That’s okay,” cooed Fluttershy. “But if it’s okay with you, could you all promise never to do something like that again?”

“We’ll do better than that,” grinned Pinkie.

Together, the five mares cross their hearts, pretended to fly with their hooves and then placed one hoof over their eye. Twilight even did it right this time.

“Hey everypony!” called Sapphire. “Who wants to sing happy birthday to the birthday bunny?”

“Me!” screamed Pinkie. “Me me me me meeeeeee!”

As the others joined around Angel, Fluttershy was stopped by Rainbow throwing a hoof around her.

“I knew I could trust you,” she grinned.

“Huh?” balked Fluttershy. “But I stopped... you know...”

“Not that. I mean, I should have know that we could always trust you to look out for us. Even when we don’t know it.”

“Rainbow,” sniffed Fluttershy, giving her friend a hug.

“Yeah yeah. C’mon, let’s go have some fun.”

“You got it!”

Author's Note:

Wow, finally done. Thanks to everyone who's kept with this story since the beginning and thanks to everyone reading this for the first time.

Comments ( 1 )

Bravo, just bravo! This is really smart and fun. I love how in character everyone feels. Fluttershy especially can be hard to pin down and you knocked it out of the park. My only tiny nitpick is that Fluttershy seems to go from being okay with losing the carrots because she's so busy cheering up her friends to suddenly devastated but that's a really minor things and is totally overshadowed by everything else. I love Rarity's dress especially. The thought just made me giggle.

This is a beautiful story and feels just like an episode of the show. Bravo.

Login or register to comment