• Published 31st Aug 2020
  • 1,655 Views, 99 Comments

Changes In A Rainbow - My Rainbow Dash



Insults from friends are painful. But when Rainbow's parents tell her that they're moving back to their hometown, she realizes that her life will be changing for the better.

  • ...
3
 99
 1,655

Chapter 17: Our Music Brings Us Together

Rainbow Dash laid down on the grass patiently as she waited for her friends to show. Just as she was about fall asleep, she heard someone speak to her.

"So what's this big news that you have for us, Dashie?" Rainbow turned around to see her boyfriend standing behind her. She smiled, stood up, and walked over to hug him. The couple shared a sweet embrace for a minute before separating. "So the surprise?" Soarin pushed again. Rainbow giggled.

"I'll tell you when the others get here."

"Well lucky for you, we are here." Dash turned around to see the remaining eleven members of her friend group. She sighed and sat back down on the grass. Her friends followed.

"So what's the big surprise, Dash?" Fleetfoot asked her friend. Rainbow bit her lip.

"Well, I kind of already told you guys the news on the video call." Everyone gave her confused looks." Surprise pushed in.

"And that is...?" Dash chuckled.

"We performed two choreographies together, and we started working on another one." Misty clapped her hands excitedly.

"Does that mean you're going to teach us the dances?" The rainbow-haired girl nodded her head.

"Yup. That's exactly what I mean." The girls then squealed in excitement while the boys cheered for her. Rapidfire gently slapped her shoulder.

"It'd better be fun." Dash rolled her eyes.

"That's what dance is all about. And if it weren't, I wouldn't be doing it." Spitfire wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"Well, thanks to you, we love music and dance. You have the talent to write songs and create crazy choreographies. And, hey, speaking of which, do you have any new songs for us?" Rainbow smiled and pulled out her notebook to show to her friends. When they saw all the new songs, they were flabbergasted. Misty nearly choked on her spit.

"How is it possible that you could write that many songs in one day?" Rainbow smirked.

"Talent my friend. It takes talent. And because I had a lot on my mind to give lots of inspiration." Everyone broke out laughing. None of them noticed that one of the voices of laughter had died down. Soarin turned away and bit his lip. It was only when the laughter had died down, did Rainbow notice her boyfriend was not part of the group. She and the others looked over at him, concerned. Dash put a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, you okay?" Soarin shook his head no. "What's wrong?" The boy took a breath.

"Well, I just wanted to ask, are the rest of us allowed to write songs for the band?" Dash stared at him incredulously. Was he serious?

"Soarin, of course, the rest of you can write pieces for the band for everyone to share. I'm completely fine with it. Why do you ask?" Soarin took a breath.

"I...uuhhh...I wrote a song for the band if that's okay with you." Rainbow smiled while Blaze burst out laughing. Rainbow’s expression flipped as she turned to her and frowned.

"You? Hahaha!" Blaze laughed."Did you write a song? Hahahaha!! I would've never imagined the day you'd do that. Hahahaha!!!" Rainbow growled. Spitfire walked over to her half-sister and smacked her upside the head. "OW! What the fuck was that for?!" Spitfire crossed her arms.

"For being a bitch and practically saying that Soarin can't write songs." Blaze rolled her eyes.

"Well sorry. I didn't mean it." Spitfire shook her head.

"Well, that's how it came out as. So how about you calm down so we can hear what he says?" Blaze grumbled something under her breath before turning back to her friend. Soarin cleared his throat.

"Well, I kind of represented it kind of like how we're facing things. It's kind of like an adventure of a lifetime. Heh, that's the name of the song." Rainbow held her boyfriend's face in her hands.

"Soar, that's wonderful! Can you show us the song?" Soarin bit his lip.

"Eh, hehe. I kinda left my songbook back at home," he chuckled embarrassedly. Everyone chuckled. Misty jumped in.

“Now that you mention that we can write songs for our group, I also wrote a song or two.” Dash clapped her hands. Wave stepped forward.

"Yeah, same. I just finished writing one before we arrived." Rainbow blinked.

"Really?" Wave nodded.

"Mmm-hmm. And I was thinking that maybe Soarin could take the part as lead singer. I realized that only us guys would sing the song, but you girls could play the instruments because we're all Wonderbolts, and Wonderbolts look out for one another." He looked towards the navy blue-haired boy. "So what do you say? Are you okay with that?" Everyone went quiet as they looked over at Soarin. Soarin bit his lip, unsure how to respond. But when he looked over at his girlfriend and saw her nod, he knew she was supporting him 100%. He took a breath.

"Okay. I'll be the lead singer for that song. And, well, the song I wrote would be for us guys only, so I could probably take the lead there, too. The girls could still play their instruments in the band if that's okay?" The girls nodded their heads. Rainbow placed a hand on Soarin's shoulder.

"You'll do great! And, umm, I was thinking." She turned around to face her friends. "Would it be okay if we changed our band name to the Wonderbolts? I mean, I know we already are the Wonderbolts, it's just that it feels a bit better now that we're all here." Surprise squealed excitedly.

"Well of course we can change it! We're Wonderbolts and nothing's gonna get in our way!" Everyone laughed and Rainbow bit her lip as she thought to herself for a moment. She shook her head and turned back to her friends who kept laughing and telling jokes.

"What's so funny?" She asked. Misty snorted.

"Oh, we're just laughing at how lame the Wondercolts are. I mean, they even stole our name. For one, Cloudsdale was founded before Canterlot, giving Cloudsdale High School the right to name itself the "Cloudsdale Wonderbolts". But about two years after our CHS was built, Canterlot built their high school and decided to call themselves the "Canterlot Wondercolts". They took our name and swapped one letter out for another changing Wonderbolts, to Wondercolts. I mean seriously, come on." Misty looked back at her friend. "And, uuhhh, sorry. We forgot that you used to go there." Dash shrugged.

"It's fine. I just now know the truth about my old school and how it's kind of like a lame knockoff of Cloudsdale." The other students around her nodded in agreement. "It's a pretty stupid, idiotic, dumb move to just take something from one school and change it before making that part yours. It's completely wrong. I mean, Canterlot didn't even ask permission to take something that was originally made in Cloudsdale and then change it to make it theirs. That's just mean." Everyone nodded. "But the one thing I know about us Wonderbolts is that we're better than we ever were before and we aren't backing down from the next Friendship Games." Misty ran up to her friend and wrapped her arms around her.

"Oh hell yeah. We're so gonna beat Canterlot's butt." Everyone laughed but agreed 100% with what she said. Rainbow shook her head.

"Anyway, should we focus on the task at hand?" Everyone blinked for a moment before Dust slapped her forehead as the others stared in complete confusion.

"Ugh, assholes. She's talking about the dance class. She was asking for help on putting it together and you decide to sit there like idiots?! What the fuck is wrong with you people?!" Dash smiled as she facepalmed, shook her head, and quietly chuckled. Soarin cleared his throat before speaking.

"I agree with Lightning Dust. Besides talking about the next Friendship Games with Canterlot, we should help Dash out with her new job as a dance teacher." They all nodded and turned to their polychromatic friend who'd grabbed a notebook from her bag and had begun writing in it. They all watched in amazement as she worked so fast. She then moved to the ground as she began to sketch something out. They all sat down around her as she held up her finished drawing. It was more of a mini sign than artwork that read "JWDC", and right below it read "Junior Wonderbolt Dance Center". The twelve teens were impressed.

"Is that the name of the dance center you've come up with?" Rapidfire asked and Rainbow answered with a nod. The boy nodded. "Sounds nice. Do you think that it would be okay if we helped you teach dance classes?" Rainbow Dash snorted.

"You guys are my best friends. I would love to have you guys help me with this. It's the whole reason why I asked you to come here in the first place." Soarin wrapped an arm around his girlfriend's shoulders.

"I think that it's a wonderful idea." Everyone nodded and smiled in agreement. This caused the rainbow-haired girl to sigh in relief and she smiled.

“Great. I was worried for a moment. Now, maybe I could teach you guys the songs I wrote. We can worry about the choreography later. I’m not in a rush about that.” Everyone nodded and Dash began showing them the songs she wrote. She tore out the pages of her notebook with the songs for the boys, and the songs for the girls, and kept her songs in the book. They were all impressed. And while they all looked through the songs, Dash began making small movements while mumbling to herself.

“A sidestep here, then a hip roll. Maybe a jump. A few hits and some more sharp movements here too. Now, what about-“ she stopped herself. With a second Friendship Games coming up, maybe there should be a different rally song. Something to pump up the students and have her friends join. Some dancing too would be fun.

She snapped her fingers and ran to grab her notebook. Her friends stopped talking to one another when she sat with them.

"How about a new kind of rally song? Unlike the one I performed for the last Friendship Games, why don't we sing one together? Maybe add some choreography to it as well. What do you think?" Surprise and Fleetfoot squealed, Misty Fly clapped her hands in a quick pattern, Blaze and High Winds high-fived one another, Spitfire and Lightning Dust fist-bumped one another, and all the boys cheered in excitement.

"Alright," Rapidfire spoke up, "let's get this song started." Dash nodded, and since this song was meant to get the other students pumped up for the games, the song had to give that motivation. They spent a short time outside writing the song before deciding to head to Dash's place to continue. After they had the touch of lyrics, they decided to leave it at that. It was Saturday night so they still had time to practice on Sunday before school started again as well as the beginning of studies for the upcoming Friendship Games. They spent all of Sunday together before heading their way to get ready for Monday.

~/\~

Monday came, and just as they all expected, they'd begun studies for the games. The first three classes dragged on for what felt like forever until they finally met up together in the cafeteria. The rainbownette took a large gulp of the coffee she'd brought with her, knowing she'd feel tired no matter how much sleep she got. She set down her thermos and began eating her lunch again. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to the body to where the hand was attached to. Her boyfriend looked down at her with a concerned expression on his face.

"Hey, you okay?" Dash sighed and shook her head no.

"I'm just stressed. Why restart our studies when we can just use the info that we learned from the last event?" Fleetfoot nodded her head.

"Yeah, I agree with Dash. Why restart the process when we still have the facts that we last used in our heads? Is facing Canterlot that different from Crystal Prep? I doubt it." Fire Streak shook his head.

"As much as I'd like to agree with this, there is a reason for this." Rainbow and Fleetfoot looked over at him, confused. Fire Streak sensed it and continued. "Sure we're performing the same event, but it's a different school. Rainbow Dash, when you last played against CPA, were the things you did previously the same as the ones we did here?" The girl in question hummed to herself before she gasped. She spoke quietly to herself.

"How did I not realize it sooner?" She looked back up at her friends. "The things we performed were the same, but the last bit, which was solving the equation on the chalkboard, was the one different. The only different thing was the equation. Other than that, nothing changed." Her friends looked at one another. Surprise spoke next.

"So why restart the studies in the first place?" The rainbownette sighed, shrugged her shoulders, and held her head in her hands.

"I don't know, Surprise. I don't know. However, the next time we have a chance, I want to create the melody of our song and record it. Does that sound like a plan?" Her twelve friends nodded.

~/\~

After the three remaining classes passed, the school bell rang and the day ended. As much as the friend group would have wanted to hang out with one another, they all knew that it was best to head separate ways to do their assignments. As it was something she didn't want to do, Dash kept her nose in her textbooks given by her teachers to finish jotting down notes and other important work that would possibly be necessary for the games. She was about finished when she began humming the tune of one of the songs she'd recently written.

Becky G-Shower (Lyrics)

She sighed and smiled in satisfaction when she finished all of the chunks of work that needed to be completed. She thought of calling her friends, but she'd most likely interrupt their studying so she pushed the thought aside. There was no point in writing more songs since she didn't have any inspiration on her mind, and she was too tired, meaning her choice of playing with her magic was a no-go. However, when she looked over at the large, double-ice-doors, a thought did cross her mind.

Maybe there was something for her to do after all.

Author's Note:

FINALLY! Chapter 17 is done. Good lord, it’s been so long. I’m sorry everyone, things have been rough so I haven’t had much time to work on this.