• Published 20th Sep 2020
  • 601 Views, 19 Comments

Magical Mission: Portal to a New Home - Player 4



While at home, in my bedroom living my human life, I get an intense urge to go to the land of Equestria. It seems that reality will not allow for that, but what if I maybe discover some unknown, crazy science?

  • ...
4
 19
 601

Chapter 1: Science (Non)-Fiction

Author's Note:

It's finally here! After a record-long period of 23 days without me finishing a single chapter, what is so far my most ambitious and difficult story is out!

There's a bit of an environment here.

An environment that, upon first glance, looks as ordinary as ordinary can be. Possibly even boring. But at second glance, it's an environment that's the beginning of a massive, life-changing story.

Up on the second floor of a suburban townhouse, in a small, light-tan-colored room holding only a few basic things within its borders, is me. An Earth human, who is, as it turns out, trying to leave Earth.

Where I'm trying to get to? Equestria.

I had been a fan of the show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" for quite a long time now. By this point, the show had glued itself to the top of my favorite shows lists, and looked impenetrable at that spot. In my mind, there was simply no other show that could ever live up to MLP: FiM. The characters of that show, the activities the characters did in it, the dialogue, the storylines, all of those had individually taken their #1 spots. Now that's some power.

And that power, on this day, June 11, 2016, has gotten extra powerful. Right now, my passion for this show was so red-hot that I felt an equally red-hot desire to go to its setting. To be in Equestria, with all of those wonderful ponies. To be with them. Talk to them. Explore Equestria. Go to the places in it. Make friends! I had just been watching the show right before this current point in time, and while I had been wanting to go to the ponies' land for a while, the urge never felt as strong as it did now. At this moment, I so badly want to go to Equestria. I want it so much.

But basic reality, it seems, blocks the way. Because that's utterly impossible. The show isn't real. It's just a cartoon.

Or is it?


The thing is, science is weird. It has always surprised us, and will continue to do so. Plenty of things that we previously thought weren't possible ended up being. With this in my mind, I am now wondering if that principle could apply in this situation. I want to look deeply at the science, and hope, that it might, just might, be possible that all these supposed "cartoons" we watch are actually real.

With my urge to go to Equestria rising on the heat scale, I make a commitment to fully studying this. I decide to commit to long days at my desk fully dedicated to this one topic. I then quickly put everything else on delay, not wanting it to get in the way of my adventure to fulfill my biggest dream. All the other activities that I had going on or planned had to be put on hold. I love those other activities and want to go back to them eventually, but there's nothing I want to do more in this present moment than go to Equestria. I want to fully go for it right now on studying this science to hopefully find out that my dream can come true.

I begin in just a few minutes. Situated in my trusty work station, I fire on my electronic friend, my laptop, and dig in to all the possible science that could lead me to my destination.


A while into my project, it begins to seem that this "long period of continuous work" that I had expected and scheduled just probably one hour ago might not come to fruition in that way. I realize that I had stormed ahead of schedule by a mile, uncovering probably enough information that I can start my new-world trip today!

It felt absolutely insane. Before I started working, when I was mapping the schedule out in my head, I thought it stood to reason that it would take me at least a week to get to Equestria. I had expected that June 11, today, would be the day I just made some progress. Not really uncovering anything big until June 12. Then I'd spend June 13 and 14 learning how to spawn a portal, June 15, 16, and 17 working on it, June 18 would be the "last loose ends" day, and my Equestrian adventure would begin on June 19.

Yet here I am, with, from what I can tell, everything that I need and it's still June 11.

Here is what I figured out: This whole thing begins with sheer existence, no matter in what form. If cartoons are real enough to be displayed on our screens, well, then they have to be made of something. Ones and zeros, is that it? Yes. But now get this:

There are probably other universes. Why? Well, it's basically to do with the fact that space and time stretches out infinitely and continues to stretch further. As this occurs, things begin repeating, as there are a finite number of ways that particles can be arranged, and in addition, the inflation isn't consistent. Some spaces inflate more slowly than others, or not at all, giving rise to universes that are more different than simple repeats.

So that means it eventually has to get to the point where these shows do exist. Because the alternates just keep multiplying. There's no stoppage. And then there's the fact that other universes have different laws of physics and fundamentals than this one. It's more than just alternates and parallels. That would allow for these characters to exist.

Which leads to this: if there are alternate universes, and these shows are able to be displayed to us with our technology, then there has to be be a connection. If the alternate universes are infinite, then that means infinite possibilities. There's nothing that could never, ever exist.

And then, since we on Earth can view these shows, there has to be some way for us to access its location.

So we've got that! Equestria and its inhabitants have to exist! The science says it!

I pace around my room in excitement and disbelief, unable to comprehend what I am doing and what I am about to do. My brain can't register it. I'm actually going to get to meet the ponies? What?

But then, I quickly stop pacing as I remember that there's another phase to get through here. I know Equestria exists, but now I need to know to get there.

Powered by my enthusiasm at the propsect of going, I swiftly sit back down on my orange chair and get to work on how to spawn that portal.


After about two hours, I uncover that in order to get to Equestria, I must find a way to trace the binary code, that myriad of ones and zeros, displaying the land on my screen back to its point of origin, wherever in the multiverse it is, and get it to use the physical force that will allow for a pathway.

Luckily, this is also fool-proof. Because the exact same binary code can never repeat twice. One slide on the screen has its code, and that's it.

But wait. The code is hidden inside the computer! You can't see it or get to it, can you? Well, we thought you couldn't, but once again, science has surprised us!

Extracting those kinds of codes was something I had already been engaging with, inside my online science group. We had been specializing in doing some nifty software experiments involving this very practice. So that's covered!

I reach into one of the storage compartments in my desk, take out the code extraction box, and plug it into my laptop, sucking it from the computer into a small, usable space. The process is complete, and now, I have the code right here in my hand, sitting in an SD card.

Now, the way to spawn a portal is to connect the code to its origin point. When the code feels that connection, it is unable to resist attaching itself, and since the code cannot escape from the SD card, it will cause a rip in the fabric of space and time, providing a pathway to the code's destination that anything, anybody, can go through.

The way to get this to happen is to expose the SD card to a bit of sunlight. The light of the sun will travel infinitely through the multiverse, eventually finding its way to the code's origin point. The code will see its origin point through the light, and will not be able to resist.

But wait a minute! Even only this universe is so unfathomably huge that it takes light over four years just to get to the nearest star to the Sun. Now how long would it take to reach this alternate universe?

Actually, there is a way around this that will occur on its own, even. The code will feed off of multiple light sources at once, and there are an immense number of them besides the Sun. Like the alternate universes, the light just keeps multiplying. As so many new light sources come in every single second, covering more and more space incredibly fast, the card will find its way to its origin point in quite a short time.

With only one more thing to do to get the pathway to my dream to appear, I'm sure feeling it. Taking a deep breath to try and calm my shaking body, I slide open my bedroom window and let the card have it.


It takes about an hour, but eventually, the SD card containing the code for a shot of Equestria sees the light it's looking for.

With an enormous amount of energy brewing inside of it, the card shakes.

It shakes and shakes.

Then it summons itself over to the area of my room between my desk and the door, and explodes into a purple portal.

There it is. The gateway to my dream land.

I just can't believe it. Not only was this really real, but I had done it all in one afternoon. I started at about 12:30 (PM, to be exact); it is now 16:30, (a.k.a 4:30 PM) and I'm about to go to the place where my favorite characters that I've been dying to meet are located. A mere four hours of work to achieve my grand desire. Not bad, if I do say do.

But before I jump in, there's a few loose ends I need to tie up.

And I am able to do so. I know from the science that the portal will not go away until something enters it.

The first thing I do in these final moments on my native planet is write a letter to my family, so that they don't get worried sick when I mysteriously disappear. Well, they probably still will anyway, given that this whole thing definitely doesn't sound believable at all. But I still want to do it, because I'd feel better.

I pick up the pen and drag it across the white paper.

Dear Family,
I know you won't believe this, but I'll still write it anyway.

If you are reading this, it means that I have whisked myself away to a magical land that seems like the computer-generated setting of a fictional cartoon show, but through science, I was able to figure out that it was real and find a way to travel to it, which I have done. I have gone to meet my TV heroes.

Again, I know with almost complete certainty that you don't believe this. But still, please don't file a missing person report or anything like that. It is 100% true what I am doing, and I will provide photographic evidence as soon as I can.

See you whenever I am able to come back.

- Your Son and Brother

I lay the letter down on my desk for them to see, and then step over to my bedroom door to make sure the door it is unlocked. They need to be able to get to the letter in the first place.

I also remember to send the message out to my online coworkers, who, outside of the ones in the science group, likely weren't going to believe it either, but I wasn't going to read the replies, so it's whatever. I also double-check that my job is secured and won't be affected by this, which it won't be. I'm in a very fortunate position here where the job I work is completely voluntary. The only thing you'll lose by not doing any work is the pay. That was no matter to me right now because I was essentially going to be starting all over in Equestria. And I knew from experience that my science group could get along just fine without me. So it's all good.

After hitting enter on that last letter to my virtual workplace chat room, I try to think of anything else I need to do, and find nothing.

Guess it's time to go, then.

I close my black laptop for the last time in likely a while, and say goodbye to it.

Now standing up, I am still stalling, because I want to take the time to give my bedroom a goodbye as well, even though it's not a permanent goodbye. If I can get to Equestria, there's no reason to believe I can't get back. But even for temporary leaves, I still like to say my farewells, especially in this case. I love my room, a lot. It's where I spend most of my day. It's my home within a home. It won't feel very comforting to not be here.

But discomfort will be a natural product of my journey, as I'm going to a brand new world with a completely different species filling the "human role", as we call it on Earth. It won't be just a room thing. So I'd better be ready for that.

Oh, and not to mention that going into a portal was scary, even though I had all the science. There was really no way this could fail or cause any kind of tragedy, but it is an intimidating look, having a swirling hole in the fabric of space and time right in front of you and waiting for you to go into it.

After a few fake "last looks" where I ended up doing it again, I do what I must do, and take what really is my final look at my bedroom for now. Saying my goodbyes and looking straight into the portal, I shift my mind over to Equestria and how much I want to be there. I use that technique to push myself past my comfort zone, and leap into the portal.


Inside the portal, I find myself in an area that is shaped like a tube. The tube shares the color of the portal, purple, and in front of me is a round black abyss. Around me is a bunch of white sparkles and lines whizzing by as I make this inter-dimensional travel.

My speed continuously picks up inside this fantasy-looking place. Making my way to Equestria, I fly faster and faster, faster and faster, until I take a direct hit from a sudden, large flash of white light, after which everything goes completely dark.