• Published 27th Aug 2020
  • 2,432 Views, 344 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony - Captain_Cosmos

  • ...
15
 344
 2,432

Episode 21: Clients and Stars Pt 5

Pinkie placed a pair of milkshakes on the tray and slid it over to Sparkler. “Here ya are Sparkler. A pair of vanilla shakes for two very special friends. Perfect for a snack date.”

Sparkler stiffened at the word date, but quickly relaxed and chuckled. “Not that kind of date Pinkie.” Though I will now GLADLY admit I wish it WAS that kind of date.

Pinkie chuckled. “Sure it isn’t. Anywho. You're coming to Airwave’s and Lyrica’s welcome party tonight right?”

Sparkler nodded. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world. Especially now that I get to be on the giving end.”

Pinkie laughed. “It’s more fun that way. Anywho. See ya later Sparky!” With that, Pinkie raced off.

Sparkler just chuckled and rolled her eyes and took the two shakes in her magic. Carrying them over to a booth where Twilight sat waiting. They had had a morning Study Session and had decided to get some shakes before Sparkler was due to report to SHR for work. Which of course led them to Sugarcube Corner and of course Pinkie immediately started teasing Sparkler about her crush on Twilight. Fortunately Pinkie had the good sense to only do it when Twilight was out of earshot.

Sparkler smiled as she reached the booth and guided one of the shakes to Twilight. “Here we go. A pair of vanilla milkshakes fit for a princess and her ever chivalrous friend.”

Twilight laughed as she took the shake in her own magic. “Hey, I thought we got rid of that habit.”

Sparkler chuckled as she sat down next to Twilight. “What? You’re telling me the girls don’t tease you about being a princess on occasion? Now what’s a friendship without a little playful teasing?” She asked.

Twilight giggled. “You got me there. Also, what did Pinkie say about a date?”

I never said Pinkie used her good sense ALL the time. Sparkler chuckled. “Eh, Just Pinkie being Pinkie. You know how she is.”

Twilight nodded. “Do I ever.” She took a sip of her shake. “So. How’s working with Airwave Sparkler? You said it was a dream come true right?”

Sparkler nodded. “Is there a single word I can use to describe happy, overjoyed, honored, unstoppable, and every other good feeling out there at the same time? Because THAT is how working with Airwave is like. I spent ten years listening to his songs, I probably drove my parents and Flappy mad in the process. And now, to actually be a part of making his next biggest hits. The only thing that would make this any better is if I had the courage to do you-know-what.”

Twilight nodded. “Don’t worry Sparkler. You’ll get there. Just know that nopony here will stop being your friend.”

Sparkler sighed. “I wish that was enough to ease my mind. But every time I think about it...” she trailed off.

Twilight patted Sparkler on the back. “You’ll get there someday Sparkler. I just know it.”

Sparkler nodded. “Thanks Twilight.”

Twilight nodded. “Anytime.”

Sparkler nodded, and then she spoke without thinking. “Hey Twi? Where does one sign up to be an act at the Ponyville Music Festival?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “The sign up sheet is at town hall. Why?” She asked. She couldn’t place it, but something about the way Sparkler asked that sounded off.

“Because I’ve actually been toying with the idea of doing you-know-what through song.” Sparkler replied.

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Sparkler nodded. “I don’t know if I’ve ever told you this, but whenever I’m singing, playing an instrument, or really doing anything music related. I feel like I can do anything, I don’t have a care in the world what others think. Flappy calls it being in my element.”

Twilight nodded. “That makes sense. Your special talent is music. You think that could enable you to overcome your fears and doubts?”

Sparkler nodded and sighed. “I just...I’m tired of hiding Twilight. I’m tired of always being held back by fear. I want it to be out there, I want ponies to know the real me, but every single time my gut tells me to do it, my mind is right there to remind me of my past experience.” She took a deep breath, before giving a determined nod. “But not this time. No. This time, I won’t let fear hold me back. This time—“

Before Sparkler could go on, there was a flash and Discord appeared before Twilight and Sparkler. He smiled and quickly grabbed Sparkler’s hoof. “Sparkler! Perfect. Listen. There’s something I’d like to talk to you about, in private.” Before Sparkler could even process what was happening, Discord snapped his fingers and both he and Sparkler flashed away.

Twilight shook herself out of her shock and stared at the very empty seat next to her, and the abandoned vanilla shake. She sighed and shook her head. “I hate it when he does that.”

...

Sparkler quickly found herself standing in her living room, with Discord standing in front of her smiling. She shook her head to reconnect her brain, and exploded. “Discord! I was talking to Twilight. Don’t you know it’s rude to interrupt?!”

Discord chuckled. “Oh you can go see your marefriend any time.”

Sparkler blushed and groaned. “She’s NOT my marefriend...yet.” She grumbled. Discord laughed while she shook her head. “So, what was so important that you had to interrupt my time with Twilight?”

Discord nodded. “I wanted to talk to you about a song I’d like to commission. And I would appreciate it if it was kept to as few ponies as possible.”

Sparkler arched an eyebrow. “You couldn’t have waited like, ten more minutes?” She deadpanned.

Discord chuckled. “I guess I’m just too excited. And we don’t have much time.”

Sparkler rolled her eyes. “Fine. When do you want to have it done?”

“The Ponyville Music Festival.” Discord replied.

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “You’re planning on performing?”

Discord nodded. “I already have the lyrics all written up. I just cannot play an instrument to save my life.”

Sparkler giggled. “The god of chaos CAN’T do something?” She gave him a sly smirk.

Discord chuckled. “I can to, just not to the level this song needs.”

Sparkler nodded before hearing a knock on the door, she smiled. “Alright. I’ll help you with this. Come back tomorrow morning and we can hammer out the details. Right now I’ve got an appointment with another client.”

Discord smiled and sprang into the air. “Oh joy. Sparkler you are a lifesaver. Have fun with Airwave!” With that, Discord flashed away.

Sparkler sighed and rolled her eyes. “Sparkler’s list of things to do for life to be perfect.” She started for the door. “Step one, reveal that I’m an Alicorn to everypony. Step two, confesss to Twilight and HOPE she’ll give me a chance.” With a deep breath. She smiled and opened the door, revealing Airwave and Lyrica. Sparkler grinned. “Hey guys. How’s it going?” She asked as she let them in.

“Nervous.” Airwave admitted as he and Lyrica entered the living room.

Sparkler arched an eyebrow. “Nervous? What for?”

Lyrica took a deep breath. “You know that welcome party pinkie pie’s planning for us?”

Sparkler nodded. “The one that’s tonight? Yes.”

Airwave nodded. “I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna reveal I’m a changeling at that party.”

Sparkler’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Airwave nodded. “Yes. Yeah. I am aware I look like what the changelings once did, but you know what? The changelings are Equestria’s allies and friends so I shouldn’t have anything to worry about.”

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “Well. I think that’s great. If nopony can see that you’re still you even if you look scary, the no they aren’t worth...the time.” Sparkler slowly started giggling.

Lyrica and Airwave raised an eyebrow. “Sparkler?”

“Something funny?”

Sparkler stopped giggling. “Nothing bad. Just had a thought. Here I am saying you shouldn’t worry about what others say when I have no ground to talk since I’m still in the closet myself because of the fear of what others will say.”

Airwave and Lyrica got what she was saying and chuckled. “It’s alright Sparks, you have more of a reason to hide. Considering what those brainless idiots did to you in school.”

Sparkler shuddered and nodded. “Ahem. Moving on. So, Wanna listen to the finished Who I Am? I’m sure it’ll meet your expectations.”

Airwave and Lyrica nodded. “Let’s hear it. Then maybe we can preview it tonight.”

Sparkler smiled. “You mean sing Who I Am at the welcome party? Well then we better make sure it’s perfect.”

...

Twilight was walking the streets of Ponyville back to her castle still groveling over Discord stealing her date...Twilight stopped and raised an eyebrow. Date? Where in Equestria did that come from? She shook her head. Eh, probably just a fluke. Sparkler and I are just friends. Nothing more. She nodded and resumed walking. After a few minutes, her thoughts wandered back to Sparkler. She does have beautiful wings though— She stopped and shook her head again. Where were these thoughts coming from? She certainly wasn’t having them before. What in Equestria is going on here?

At that moment, Pinkie bounced into her view, at close range. “Hiya Twilight!”

Twilight jumped back in shock. “Gah! Pinkie!”

Pinkie nodded. “That’s me! Anywho, what’s up Twi?”

“Nothing much. Just going back to the castle to get some reshelving done before the party.”

Pinkie beamed as she began bouncing next to Twilight. “That’s cool! I’m on my way to the school to get last minute preparations done before the welcome party for our newest friends! Are you going to ask Sparkler to the party?”

Twilight froze. “Pardon?”

Pinkie chuckled. “You know. Our very special “Unicorn” friend that you’ve developed a crush on?”

Twilight registered what Pinkie said, before laughing. “Pinkie. Don’t be ridiculous. I don’t have a crush on Sparkler. What gave you that idea?”

Pinkie laughed. “A slew of things. A, my pinkie sense, which is NEVER wrong. B, the fact that you two spend hours together in the castle library on a regular basis, and C, if you didn’t have a crush on Sparkler, you wouldn’t have been so disappointed when Discord stole her away.”

Twilight groaned. “Pinkie, our get togethers in the castle library are strictly friendly hangouts. Nothing more. And of course I was disappointed. Discord rudely cut into our conversation and took Sparkler to who knows where and left me alone. With two shakes.

Pinkie nodded. “Alright, then how do you explain—“ She was interrupted by her tail wagging and her left hind leg fidgeting. She smiled. “How do you explain that? That’s the pinkie sense for somepony crushing on another.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “That could be anypony. Not me. I don’t have any crushes. Plain and simple.”

Pinkie nodded. “Sure you don’t. Anywho. If you need date ideas or if you want me to plan a party to tell her how you feel, I’ll be at the School of Friendship gym getting tonight’s party all settled.” With that, Pinkie galloped off at Mach Pinkie Pie speed

Twilight watched her go and shook her head. “I don’t...ugh.” She just resumed walking. Not even bothering. I don’t have a crush. It’s all purely a platonic friendship. Besides. She’d never consider somepony like me. With a nod, she continued on.

...

Several hours later, Airwave, Sparkler and Lyrica were all walking the streets of Ponyville, headed to the School of friendship. Sparkler wore a saddlebag, in it held a record of the song the three had been working on all day. Along the way, Flappy joined them. “Squawk! Hey guys. What’s shaking? Squawk!”

Lyrica smiled. “Sup Flappy. Missed you during recording today where’d you go?”

“Squawk! I was at Fluttershy’s hanging with my animal friends there. What did I miss? Squawk!”

Sparkler chuckled. “Nothing much. Just that Discord wants to commission a song, Airwave here is gonna reveal that he’s a changeling tonight, and he’s gonna perform a preview of his next album.”

Flappy smiled and landed on Sparkler’s back. “Squawk! Nice. Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded. “Oh, and also, I’ve decided that I’m DEFINITELY going to do it. I’m entering the music festival, and coming out with my wings.”

Flappy smiled. “Squawk! About time. Fortunately you’re already working on a song that’s PERFECT. Squawk!”

Airwave nodded. “Good for you Sparkler. Don’t let fear drive you.”

Sparkler nodded. “Not this time. Come the music festival, fear can take my past and shove it up it’s flank. It’s never stopping me again.”

Flappy gave an encouraging woot woot while Lyrica and Airwave nodded in approval. “That’s the spirit.”

Sparkler nodded. “But before that. Let’s get to the school and officially welcome you to town...though you’ve been in town all week...Nope. Not gonna question Pinkie. I’m just gonna go along with it.”

...

Minutes later, in the School of Friendship, Twilight exited her office, just getting done with some last minute paperwork. She looked down the hall and noticed Sparkler coming up with Airwave and Lyrica, whom she met the other day when they all had lunch together. She smiled. “Sparkler, Airwave, Lyrica. Heading to the gym?”

Lyrica nodded. “Yep.”

“For our quote unquote surprise party.” Airwave added.

Twilight chuckled. “Yeah. If nopony’s told you already, don’t question Pinkie Pie and her antics...it won’t end well for your sanity.”

Airwave and Lyrica nodded. “Duly noted.”

Twilight nodded. “Shall we?”

Everypony nodded and they all proceeded down the hall. After a minute, Twilight glanced at Sparkler. “So, Sparkler, what did Discord want with you?”

Sparkler chuckled. “He was asking about a commission he wanted to do. That’s all SHR’s privacy policy allows me to say.”

Twilight chuckled. “Discord? Keeping secrets? That's a new one.”

Sparkler nodded. “He is keeping my wings a secret so we can give him that.”

Twilight froze, did Sparkler just casually reveal her secret? “Wings? What wings are you talking about?”

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “The wings on my sides? Twilight you know the wings I’m talking about?”

Twilight said nothing as she cocked her head towards Airwave and Lyrica. Sparkler finally understood what was happening and laughed. “Oh. Oh Lyrica and Airwave know. They know all about my wings.”

Twilight relaxed. So Sparkler didn’t just slip up. “Oh. Really?”

Airwave nodded. “Yeah. We do.”

Twilight shot a smile at Sparkler. “Good for you slowly coming out Sparks.”

Sparkler nodded. “And the whole town will know soon, come the Ponyville Music Festival.”

Flappy nodded. “Squawk! And it’s about time. Sparkler’s let this fear of hers control her long enough. Squawk!”

Airwave nodded. “I just hope it won’t be too soon after my big coming out.”

Twilight glanced at Airwave. “You have something to get off your chest too Airwave?”

The four all stopped and looked at Airwave. Airwave sighed. “Ahem. Uh, Twilight. Before we go, there’s something I think you should know first, I’m...not a Pegasus, like you think I am?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

Airwave sighed. “I mean...” At that moment, Twilight watched as Airwave was engulfed in a flame, a familiar green flame. She gasped as the flame died down and the handsome Pegasus stallion was replaced by an all black creature with hazel eyes, a small horn, and small silk wings.

“You...you’re a changeling?!” She asked in surprise.

Airwave nodded. “A changeling who still hasn’t transformed like the rest of his kind.”

Twilight nodded. “This is certainly...something...”

Airwave nodded. “I know I don’t look friendly, I look like the changelings once did before they reformed, but I promise I mean no harm. Just...I hope you can forgive my deception your highness.”

Twilight winced slightly at being called a princess, but nevertheless smiled at Airwave. “Let me guess. You hid because you were afraid of what others would say about your real appearance. Same as Sparkler.”

Airwave nodded. “I’m gonna reveal myself at the party. I...I just thought that you deserved to know first. Considering...”

Twilight smiled. “The changelings are our friends now. And you’ve been nothing but kind and friendly since you arrived. So you don’t need to hide anymore.”

Airwave smiled. “Thank you. Your majest—“

Twilight cut him off. “Don’t. It’s still just Twilight.”

Everypony chuckled. “Fair enough.”

Twilight nodded. “So, shall we head in?”

And so, they all headed into the gym. Where everypony in the room was certainly shocked that Airwave the pegasus was actually Airwave the changeling, but after an explanation, the crowd quickly came around and welcomed Airwave to Ponyville with open hooves. An act which enabled Airwave to transform into a colorful bug like the rest of his people.

A bit into the party, Sparkler watched as Airwave put on an impromptu concert, performing Who I Am, along with other released songs. She smiled as she watched from the refreshments table. Flappy, who was also sipping some juice, smiled at her. “Squawk! They accepted him, and his race was once their enemy. Need I mention what that means? Squawk!”

Sparkler chuckled. “If they can accept a creature like Airwave, it’s reasonable to assume they’ll accept me.”

Flappy nodded. “Squawk! I don’t think you even need the Music Festival now. Squawk!”

Sparkler sighed. “The Music Festival is probably the best chance I have of not freezing up Flappy. And I want to give them time to adjust to Airwave before piling on.”

Flappy nodded. “Squawk! Well. Just know that I got your back all the way. Squawk!”

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “Thanks Flappy.”

To be continued...

Author's Note:

This is the Who I Am Airwave sings with a few minor tweaks.

This admittedly is not my proudest work, This was all just to give Sparkler a friend who understood her more than most.

NOTE: if you find any line in this one that shouldn't belong in a rated E story, let me know IMMEDIATELY! as far as i know everything in this story is family friendly but I just want to make sure.

THX FOR READING! SEE YOU ON HALLOWEEN!!!