• Published 27th Aug 2020
  • 2,432 Views, 344 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony - Captain_Cosmos

  • ...
15
 344
 2,432

Episode 10: Friendship's Origin

Sparkler was trotting along the streets of Ponyville, going through a list of things she held in her magic along with a quill. She crossed off a thing on the list. “Get apples from Sweet Apple Acres--note to self Big Mac doesn’t talk much--check. Stop at the build-a-pony store and pick up Flappy’s gift. Check.” She inwardly sighed in relief. Thank the MAKER they didn’t ask why I wanted the plushie to have both wings and a horn. I’m not so sure if they would’ve blindly believed Flappy wanted it that way. she nodded and scanned the next item on the list. “Next up...oh. That’s everything.” She smiled and whisked the paper away. “Now to get back ho—“

“INCOMING!” Sparkler’s ears perked up and she turned just in time to see a Pegasus crash into her. They rolled on the ground to a stop.

Sparkler shook off the pain and turned to find that her sudden ‘attacker’ was none other than Rainbow Dash. She gasped. “Rainbow?! What the hay? A-Are you OK?”

Rainbow chuckled and got up. Nodding as she turned to Sparkler. “Yeah. I’m fine. I just got a little carried away with my speed. How’s it going Sparkler?”

Sparkler smiled. “It’s going good. How about you? That friendship mission of yours turn out OK?”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah. We totally fixed the magic of Friendship there.”

Sparkler nodded. “So if you're here does that mean everypony else is back too?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Nah, they’ll be back tomorrow morning. I just got off a few stops before Ponyville because I could go MUCH faster than that train.”

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “Any reason?”

Rainbow smiled sheepishly and nodded. “Uh, I may have been a little impatient getting back so I can see Soarin again.”

At that, Sparkler chuckled. “Aww. Did big bad Rainbow Danger Dash miss her coltfriend?”

Rainbow chuckled nervously. “There are other reasons.”

Sparkler chuckled. “Name one not Soarin related.”

She smiled knowingly at Rainbow, who reached behind her head and rubbed the back of her neck. “Er...well...” she sighed. “Ok FINE! You got me. I just wanted to see Soarin again.”

Sparkler chuckled. “Hey, I don’t blame you. Were I into colts I’d be all over him as well.”

Rainbow chuckled and nodded. “Yeah—Wait.” She did a double take as she realized what Sparkler said. “WERE you into colts. You saying you don’t swing towards Colts?”

Sparkler’s eyes widened as she realized what she just said. She blushed and smiled sheepishly. Giving a slight nod. “Ahem. Well. MAYBE I’ve always preferred mares to colts. Just something I’ve always known about myself.”

Rainbow gave her a hard look, before smiling. “Alright. That’s cool I guess. You’re into mares then you’re into mares. I’m not judging.” She nodded and flapped her wings. “Sorry about the crash. And sorry for cutting this short but I gotta go. Soarin’s waiting for me.”

“Rainbow wait, before you go. Do you know if Twilight’s seeing anypony right now?”

Rainbow froze in the air and turned to look down at Sparkler. She shook her head. “I don’t THINK so. I know she had a thing for a Pegasus guard from the Crystal Empire at some point. But I’m pretty sure they’re just friends.”

Sparkler nodded. “Alright. Thanks.”

Rainbow doubled back AGAIN as she realized something. “Hang on a minute. Why did you just ask that?”

Sparkler’s eyes widened as she realized what she just asked. “Oh, did I just ask that? I—I don’t know. I just...asked without even thinking.”

Rainbow smirked as she landed on the ground. “Is somepony crushing on the Princess of Friendship?”

Sparkler immediately shook her head. “Of course not!”

Rainbow snickered. “Then why did you just ask if she was available?”

Sparkler shrugged as she struggled to stop her blush. “I don’t know. I just asked before I even thought about it.”

Rainbow nodded as she flapped her wings again. “Sure you did. Personally I think you might be a good match for her. Anyway. See ya Sparkler. Gotta fly.” With that, Rainbow zipped away.

Sparkler watched her go. Is Twilight seeing anypony?! Are you insane?! Why did I just ask that?! She shook her head clear and began trotting back to her house. Grah! It’s just Discord and Flappy from yesterday getting to me. I don’t have a crush on Twilight. The ONLY interest I have in her other than friendship is that she’s got the same condition as me. That’s all. She nodded. Though she is a sight to behold—STOP IT! No! Bad Sparkler. Bad! She shook her clear again and continued on.

Minutes later, she reached her house and went in. As she closed the door behind her, she smiled and called out. “Flappy! I’m home!”

Flappy flew into the living room and smiled. “Squawk! Hey Sparkler! Back from the errand run? Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded. “Yep.” She took one look at Flappy and after a moment of reflection of the last ten minutes, chuckled.

Flappy raised an eyebrow. “Squawk! What’s so funny? Squawk!”

Sparkler smiled at him. “I just had a run in with Rainbow Dash, who came back early to be with Soarin. She crashed into me and when I came back and saw you I was reminded of how we met.”

Flappy’s eyes widened as he smiled and started chuckling with Sparkler. “Squawk! Oh I remember that. That might just be the best day of my life. Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded. “Yeah. I remember it like it was yesterday.”

...

I was walking back home from school that day, being followed by certain classmates...

Six year old Sparkler was covering her tear soaked face with her wings. Blocking the incoming eggs that were being thrown at her. She felt another egg explode on her wing and she let out another sob. “Come on guys! This isn’t funny!”

One of the assailants just laughed at her. “What’s wrong Featherhorn! Don’t like eggs?”

The other assailants laughed and continued throwing eggs at Sparkler. Who continued to hide behind her wings. After a moment, they all heard an adult shout. “Boys! It’s time to go!”

The assailants chuckled and threw one more round of eggs at Sparkler. “See you tomorrow Featherhorn!” The assailants laughed as they left.

Sparkler heard the laughing fade and took the opportunity to run. She ran as fast as her little legs could carry her. Tears still falling from her face. Stupid bullies! Why won’t they just leave me alone! She tripped over her hooves and fell to the ground. She grunted in pain before standing back up. That’s when her little pony ears picked up what sounded like a whooshing sound. She turned to its source, and only had two seconds to see a little ball of feathers gliding straight at her before it crashed into her. She toppled back down on the ground and the ball of feathers settled on the ground next to her. Sparkler shook off the pain and turned her head to get a good look at what hit her. She examined it, and saw that it had eyes. She gasped. “A baby Teal Kiki Parrot!” She stood up on her hooves and cautiously approached the bird. As she approached, she heard whimpering. She quietly let out a gasp as she extended her wings and carefully picked the parrot up. “Hey. Hey there little one. Why are you crying?”

The parrot looked up at Sparkler before turning its head to Its wing. It unfolded one of them and Sparkler saw that it was bent in several places it shouldn’t be bending. She gasped. “Oh no. It’s broken.”

The Parrot nodded. “Squeak! Hurts. Squeak!”

Sparkler nodded and gently cradled the parrot in her wings. “Don’t worry. I’ll get you healed up.”

...

Sparkler opened the door to her room and immediately went to her desk. She set the parrot down on the desk with its broken wing up and she gave it a warm smile. “Sit tight. It’ll be OK.” She lit her horn and summoned the first aid kit her parents had. She opened it up and turned back to the parrot. “Ok. I know it’s gonna hurt, but I have to pop the wing bone back in. It’ll only hurt for a second. Is that ok?”

The parrot looked up into her eyes, and slowly nodded. She nodded and lit her horn. Carefully taking the parrot’s broken wing. She breathed in and out and nodded. “Ok. On the count of three. One...two...three.” She manipulated her magic and popped the wing bones back into their proper place. That elicited a scream from the Parrot, who immediately started squirming around. Sparkler extended her magical hold to the whole animal to hold him still. “Hey! Calm down. It’s ok. Just stay still and I’ll bandage it up.” She extracted a roll of gauze from the medical kit and carefully wrapped it around the parrot’s wing. She finished bandaging it up and smiled warmly at the parrot. Setting it back down on the desk standing up. “There. Does that feel better?”

The parrot glanced at it’s wing before nodding. “Squeak! Thank you. Squeak!

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “Your welcome. I can take you home now.”

The parrot shook its head. Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “You don’t want to go back? What about your family?”

The parrot deflated a little. Sparkler saw this and somehow understood. “Oh. You...you don’t have one.” She saw the parrot nod. Her heart ached as she wrapped her wings carefully around the parrot. “Oh you poor thing. You must be lonely.”

The parrot nodded as it snuggled into Sparkler’s wings. “Squeak! Very lonely. Squeak!”

Sparkler nodded. You poor thing. An infant like you shouldn’t be out there alone. Her eyes widened as she thought of something. “Well. How about you stay here?”

The parrot looked up at Sparkler with a raised eyebrow. Sparkler gave it a reassuring smile. “Think about it. This way you don’t have to be alone and I promise to take good care of you. How about it?”

The parrot smiled and nodded, flapping it’s good wing. “Squeak! Yes! Squeak!”

Sparkler chuckled and hugged her new parrot friend. “We’re gonna be best friends forever. I just know it.”

...

“Squawk! And then you cried your eyes out until your parents said yes to having me around. Squawk!”

Sparkler chuckled as she lay eyes on the photo taken that day. She and Flappy had moved to the couch and began looking at their photo album. “Yeah. And when they did I realized I didn’t give you a name yet. So after seeing that you liked to flap your wings I came up with Flappy.”

Flappy nodded. “Squawk! Sparkler, I know I’ve said this before, but I can never say this enough. Thank you for everything. I honestly felt my life was over before you came along. Squawk!”

Sparkler chuckled and nodded. “And I’d do it again and again if it means I get the best friend I’ve ever had.” She lit her horn and summoned her saddle bag. She opened it up and pulled out the plushie she had gotten made. “Here. Got a little something for you.”

Flappy saw the plushie and gasped. It was a near exact replica of Sparkler herself. Wings and all. Wearing a shirt that had a message on it. YOU ALWAYS HAVE A FRIEND IN ME. He smiled. “Squawk! You got me a plushie of you? Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded. “This way I’ll always be with you even when I’m not there physically. Do you like it?”

Flappy smiled and wrapped his wings around the real Sparkler, and the plushie. “Squawk! I love it! Thanks! Squawk!”

Sparkler nodded and wrapped her legs and wings around her pet companion. “Happy Anniversary Flappy.”

Flappy nodded as he snuggled into the hug. “Squawk! Right back atcha. Squawk!” He and Sparkler stayed in each other’s grasp. Enjoying each other’s company, as they had for so many years prior.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

and THAT'S how Sparkler and Flappy met. I actually had some liquid pride writing this.

also, SOARIN!

Soarin while eating pie: Yes?

You featherbrain! you just HAD to tease Sparkler didn't you. now you've set off a chain reaction!

Soarin: Sorry!

*sigh* It's fine. anyway. thx for reading and let me know down in the comments what you want to see next!