• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 20,811 Views, 85 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Entropic Karma - dragozon



As Celestia finishes humanity, Discord breaks free

  • ...
20
 85
 20,811

Chapter 1

Princess Celestia finished the spell that would finally cleanse the Human Earth of its last inhabitants.

Deep within the forbidden Canterlot vault, the statue of a certain Draconequus vanished.


Celestia rested on her throne, exhaustion written on her face. Her actions over the past days left her tired and weak. Even an immortal God-Princess needed rest and so the court had been suspended until she could recuperate. The only souls present in the throne room were she and two Royal Guard by the door.

The Guards disappeared without so much as a sound. Celestia blinked. Did she just imagine the- no. There are always guards present. Something was wrong. She sat up and cautiously approached the door. As she walked, the room's windows shifted into the shape of a Draconequus.

This did not go unnoticed by her, and so she whirled around to gaze into the window closest to her. Discord grinned back.

“What? Oh...no.”

“Hello to you, too, Celestia.” said the windows.

“Discord. Why are you here? How are you here?”

“So much for a friendly greeting.” The glassy eyeballs rolled in their non-existent sockets.

“I tire of your games already! Show yourself!”

“Alright, alright. But only because you asked so nicely. The window trick was getting old anyway and you know how much I hate repetition.”

With that, the windows morphed into limbs and torso and assembled the Draconequus sitting on Celestia's throne.

Celestia tried to calm herself. She really wasn't in the mood for this. But attacking another god would be futile. Even at full power and with the help of her sister, she couldn't hope to defeat the spirit of chaos. She needed the Elements of Harmony. And an Aspirin. The humans were good for some things, after all...

Discord continued. “Can't I visit an old friend before performing my charge? Oh, and you look absolutely dreadful! What have you been up to, my dear?”

“That is none of your concern. The Elements of Harmony will-”

Elements, Celestia? Elements, elements, elements...ah, yes! The Elements of Harmony, I remember. The Elements of Harmony that have recently become useless, maybe?”

He had her there.

“What? I can assure you-”

“Ugh. Save it. The Elements have shattered, haven't they?”

Discord's grin confirmed that this question was rhetoric.

“How do you know that?”

“Oh, if you're living as long as I have, you tend to pick up on those tiny, minuscule, world-shattering events."
“Speaking of events, I love what you have done to your ponies. I never thought you had it in you, Celestia!”

“What do you mean?”

“Maybe you did learn something from me after all! The way you molded and twisted and perverted their feeble minds, like chocolatey cotton candy clouds. Brilliant!”

Celestia's eyes widened.

“I have given the newfoals new lives and an opportunity! They are of no concern to you, wretched creature!”

“But they are! I find them quite interesting, really. Twisted and malleable. But that is besides the point. What fascinates me are these delectable mind whammies! I couldn't have done it any better, really.”

She glared at him. How could he compare his mind corruption tricks to her gifts?

“Oh, don't give me that look, C. Did you think I wouldn't notice? I can quite honestly say that I am proud of you! Princess Celestia - substitute spirit of Chaos and Disharmony!”

“You are pathetic, Discord. We are nothing alike.”

“How rude! Hmpf! From God to God. We are not so different after all. What did you think set me free once again? Here is a hint for you: It involved entropy. Lots and lots of it!”

“What matters is that we … wait. are you saying that … How? No! We had to convert them! We were acting in the name of harmony! For the good of ponykind! And theirs!”

How could her actions possibly have freed the Draconequus?

“Ohoho! How wonderfully ironic! That must be why the Elements stopped working, isn't it? Harmony, hah! But do not fret, you did the best possible thing! You only wanted to help them overcome their chaotic nature, and instead you buttered their entire world in entropic goodness. Or should I call it Equestria now? You did claim it all for yourself, after all.”

“That is ridiculous, coming from the spirit of disharmony! There is only one being who would so selfishly drown ponies in chaos, and he is standing before me! I would never do such a thing.”

“But my dear, you already have! The seeds of Chaos are planted and ripe for harvest! I barely even have to lift a claw and your precious Equestria will float in discord the likes of which even I have never seen!”

“What? What are you planning, Discord? Let it rain chocolate milk? Have deformed animals stampede through the cities? Flip everything upside down? I can assure you, these ponies have been through much worse. You won't impress them!”

“Oh no, I already did that last time, remember? And I have already told you, I won't even have to lift a claw. Chaos will find a way and I can sit back and enjoy the show. In fact, I am already finished.”

The Princess winced. Something about this situation was completely, utterly wrong. She was never able to sense Discord's magic, but he wasn't one to announce that he was finished. Discord was never finished, always trying to one-up his latest spiel. He would eventually throw the thaumatic fabric into such disarray that no mere magic could possibly hope to restore the pony way of life. Celestia had to know what he was up to.

“You are...finished? Discord, what have you done?!”

“Not what have I done, Celestia. The question is, what have I undone? I'm sure you can figure it out.”

If Celestia's coat hadn't been white already, the colors surely would have drained.

“No. NO!! You mustn't undo the mind warp! Do you have any idea what you have wrought upon this world, you selfish abomination?! They will destroy everything!”

“Will they now? All I did was give them back their personality and identity. I just revived the people you thought you had rid yourself of, Celestia. But they have been living peacefully until now, why would they...oooh, of course! How could I have been so blind! If I had been a prisoner inside something that wasn't me, what would be the first item on my agenda? Mhhh...”

"No..."

"Speaking from experience, of course."

Celestia slumped to her haunches as Discord's unnatural grin spread further. He began laughing manically and shouting at her.

“I know exactly what I am doing, pony! I am a spirit of Equestria, nay I AM Equestria! You have destroyed an entire world and inadvertently fed me more power than you could even begin to comprehend! You have done the unthinkable and stooped so low that even the Elements of Harmony shattered!”

Though no pony was present outside, thunderclaps accentuated Discord's sentences.

“You were so obsessed with your own species that you did not even realize how many lives you have ended. Only you didn't end them properly, because they are back, they are angry and they are coming for you.”

Celestia shouted back at him through teary eyes.

“No! I did the right thing! It was meant to be! You will not ruin everything we've worked for. My sister and I will defeat you! We will find a way.”

“And how do you intend to do that? I am more powerful than ever before. I have escaped your stone prison twice. The Elements are useless. What are you going to do, Celestia? Destroy them? Kill billions of your little ponies? Could you do that?”

That was too much. She couldn't. Not to a pony. Celestia broke down.

“You thought they were beyond redemption, but look at you now. Hehehe, the immortal God-Princess, the judge, jury and executioner, reduced to a sobbing pile of fur. You have no idea how much I am enjoying this chaotic turn of events.”
“It is the new era, Celestia! Cheer up! And do you want to know the best thing about it?”

Discord cupped her head with a claw and looked into her eyes.

“I have front-row seats.”

Comments ( 85 )

(read the story first, buddy)

The unopposed, condescending and genocidal nature of certain TCB stories never sat right with me. A god that hates an entire species? If a writer deems it necessary to use such an unbeatable absolute, how do you deal with that? :trollestia:
The answer: You use another god. One that is even more powerful. Luckily, MLP already had one.

Next was the fact that this Celestia is mind-boggingly out-of-character. She would never commit genocide, would she? Well, something turned her into a tyrant who would. Such a change would surely fuel Discord's chaos and I bet the Elements of Harmony wouldn't agree with it either.

It all fit together quite nicely. And so out of that came this story.
It is the first fic I've ever published. Not the first attempt at writing, but the first one that isn't doomed to remain hidden on my harddrive for all of eternity.

Ohh lord yes. I always wanted to see a TCB fic where Discord verbaly owned Xenocide/Tyrant/Evilestia. I wonder what would have made her like that in the beginning though. TCB!Celestia is a long way from Canon!Celestia. What made her jump the gap?

Saw little improvment and everything still felt flat.

This is a Deconstruction, right?:rainbowhuh:

Getting there, but you reeally need to put in a bit more. As it is, the chapter was far too speech heavy, and the scenes fell flat. You need a bit more description, because all I got were talking heads.

I thought that it was well thought out and quite appealing

Oh my fucking god, I love this idea. :pinkiehappy: You could have done way more here, but it's still good. :twilightsmile:

1178999

:rainbowlaugh: Ironically, I actually plan to address this very question in my own fic. But on the subject of THIS fic, I have to say, I loved it. I want more of it, in fact. You can't just leave it like this. I wanna see what happens now that Celestia's little mind-fuck is undone and humanity is free...and PISSED.

1179540 Ohh yah, hows that been going? I haven't seen any updates for it in ages, thought it was on hiatus or something. On another note, this is chapter the first. I have a feeling we'll see more. . .

Wow, thank you. I'm honestly surprised at the attention this is getting.

1178999
What indeed :trollestia: What could possibly do that? The Nightmare maybe? Or maybe she has always been Pony Hitler and just now found an excuse to claim lebensraum for her kingdom? To be honest, I don't know. It's beyond the scope of this fic. You're probably better off asking the human who created her.

1179453
1179273
1179152
You are right. I am aware that this is short and very speech-heavy. The reason for that is that dialog is the only thing I'm not completely incompetent at. Despite that, it still took me a while to write. I've tried to convey emotions as best as possible through speech alone, but I agree that this can't beat descriptions.
To effectively lengthen it, I'd have to add more scenes. Not really what I had in mind. The theme was: Discord and Xenolestia are having a little chat.

1179573

Actually, this fic is listed as 'Complete' if you look at the title page. So I'm hoping there's at least a sequel.

My fic? Working on the next chapter of it, and Shogun Six as we speak. Though life (and my own original novels) have been making the progress slower than perhaps I would like.

DISCORD: Boss level OVER 9000*INFINITY+1

1173725
Okay, this sounded like something I was going to write in my story, TCB: Other Side of the Spectrum, but I took it in another direction. But this is what I thought would really happen.

It may have been short and to the point, but that is what I like about it. Could it be better, with bits and pieces to add variety, yes it could. But it this is great as a one shot.:pinkiecrazy:

1179152
You are like a black hole that sucks up sun shine and happiness to other people, aren't you?
You always got to say something negative.:twilightangry2:

1180045
No, I'm more of the crazy Australian who robs you blind while I show you the dance of my people.

This... this is genius! :pinkiehappy:

In a word...
Dark

most impressive.
Clever use of constructive architectural stereotypes that provide and interesting accent to this moral ethical dilemma.
(translation) You used the characters in a good way that it made the whole storyline.
or something else deep and interesting.

This is getting a "Neigh" from the peanut gallery, here.

You've set up a villain Celestia. That's great. But you've given her a motive so weakly defined, it's practically non-existent. Why did she feel it was necessary to convert and mentally alter eight billion people? From this, I can only see that she did it for no discernable reason, and that makes her a terrible villain.

And then we've got a total lack of dialogue tags and cues generally making things hard to read.

It's an idea, but it needs to be fleshed out or finished to make "average". Serious polish needed to get the green thumb from me.

1180084 And i'm the Norwegian raiding your home and village while you dance.

1184219
Let us team up and rob the world clean of its grog and loot.

lol, i can just imagine ponies screming, "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE"

1185645

Right game, wrong catch phrase:

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Well this is interesting. I am actually surprised I liked this so much.

Might I suggest changing the game a little if you go forward with more? Switch to a converted pony and tell the story from them. Then as a twist have them defeat both discord and celestia by having the 'newfoals' refuse to acknowledge Celestia's rule but for the most part remain relatively peaceful. Have them build new societies and cities to become future nations of their own with little conflict between them for some time given their common enemy. But rather than attempting to slaughter Celestia the tear her down, they approach things in a civilized and less chaotic manner. They work together to build a new world order and refuse to acknowledge their neighbor of Equestria as friendly until Celestia is removed from power or has been tried for her crimes against 'humanity'. You could go one route (if i remember right the fic that did this was called "the price of generosity") and have them make a new potion to reverse the effect, but it might be more fun to make it irreversible.

The moral is that Celestia viewed humanity as chaotic and evil, like the spawn of discord, and it seems Discord thinks they at least in part. In reality it would be a minority that would want to go to war with an enemy that won't fight back, and those in leadership positions of possessing skills in speaking would be inclined to rally everyone to prove her wrong about humanity and have her taken down correctly, orderly, and politically, without the need for war. Maybe the elements reform when there's stability, just as Discord becomes fed up and tries to take shake things up, but a new set of bearers, each from different newly formed factions of the transformed humans, and one native pony, put a stop to him and bring harmony to Equestria again. Celestia is trapped in stone along with him, and maybe Luna is allowed to stay as a sort of celebrity royal as a parliament is set up to run Equestria.

Then and only then would evil no good goddess Celestia be defeated, tried and sentenced as an enemy of harmony.

1298890
Thanks.
I like this idea. You have a huge number of converted humans. Their minds are free again, but they have new bodies with new abilities, live in a new world, with magic and opportunities.

Obviously many would want revenge for what was forced upon them. Many would also prefer peaceful solutions. Some will understand, some might even be grateful. Nevertheless, Celestia will have a lot to answer for. You are right, it is quite likely that Discord's plan will backfire in the end. Instead of an angry mob a billion strong, he helped create a new nation. And there would be, at the very least, a trial. The Elements might return and defeat Discord once again. But what happens after that?

Earth is dead, but humanity is not, not in mind at least. And what distinguishes us humans most from other species? It's our ability to adapt, isn't it? To make the best out of our situation at all times.
There is a lot of potential here. A fresh start, a chance for old grievances wither and die. An anti-potion that finally allows us to choose what we want to be, after we had a taste of both worlds. I imagine this as a great opportunity for world-building and new stories.

I won't be continuing this, though. You can tell that I'm only good at dialog, not at imagining new worlds or different characters, or describing scenes. Entropic Karma has been something that was on my mind and needed to be written, but it's finished now.

If anybody else wants to give it a go, though, be my guest!

1301788
Entropy:
1. (communication theory) a numerical measure of the uncertainty of an outcome.
2. (thermodynamics) a thermodynamic quantity representing the amount of energy in a system that is no longer available for doing mechanical work.
Vat?:rainbowhuh:

1355002
I admit, Entropy is a bit of an abstract concept for one not familiar with physics.
It's chaos in its purest form. It is achieved when everything is random, and everything is the same. When every usable energy differential has been equalized. It's the complete lack of information in a system.

Imagine different patterns of colors, which represent information. Now you mix them all together into a monotone brownish mass. The patterns are lost, as is the information they contained. There is no information left, it's simply brown. That's entropy.

Everything, on the most basic level, is information. So by destroying humanity and its world, Celestia has raised the entropy level tremendously.

1355052
Sorry, I'm a Chinese. And I just can't read complicated fanfics without a dictionary.

Oh this just beautiful.

Also how long has it been since Celestia's "glorious" victory? If enough time has passed...all the former humans will probably be able to manipulate the weather and use magic as well as natural ponies.....except we're more creative with it.



:pinkiehappy::heart:

Duuude. You got a great story here, you gonna continue this!:rainbowkiss:

I hate Discord.

I really, really hate Discord.

I practically loath the very mention of him.

What you have here?

...

I want to hug you, kiss you (non-homo), worship the very ground you walk on for this masterpeice of a bitchslap.:coolphoto:

Glorious. A wonderful counterpoint to the empty-headed TCB stories floating about! I enjoyed it!

Needs to be expanded upon, show Celestia's motivation and why it was still utterly wrong (hence summoning Discord). Add more details to the dialogue.

However, the idea is very very well thought through. I'd love to see the chapters of various newfoals going over to rip her a new one, and their backstories explained.

What always turns and twists me a little inside with fics like this one is the idea compared to the implementation. Instead of churning 1k words of boring and ultimately pointless dialog/exposition, just tossing the idea with nothing to back it up, you could write an actual plot with actual characters and story. Because that's how you show and not tell the idea and what it entails.

And now I realize this wasn't a new fic despite being in my notifications for the first time. Well, it was new to me :-)

I am in such a pleasent mood, and TCB's Celestia get her comeuppance is just so pleasing.

1173725

The unopposed, condescending and genocidal nature of certain TCB stories never sat right with me. A god that hates an entire race?

:facehoof: Why do people cock things up so much. Celestia isn't annihilating all the asians, she's targeting humanity as a whole. As in humans a species!

2187410
You're of course correct, I did mean species here. And I actually do know the difference, I don't know why I screwed that up in the comment. My apologies.



To everyone expecting a continuation: Sorry, there won't be one. I consider this story to be complete, and I never meant for there to be more than this. It's up to the reader to make his own conclusion.
But I also lost interest in this whole 'reason vs sugarcoated hate' debate. I've also realized that writing simply isn't for me. I'm not creative, nor can I describe things well or create interesting scenes. So yeah, that's it for my very short time as an author.

If anyone else wants to pick this up, be my guest. But I'm done.

2187582 This seemed to be rather self-contained as it is. I mean Xenolestia's impending flank kicking is implied by Discord, so any continuity would be for those who wanted to simply paint the picture for everyone.

As for me, while the race/species mix up is mildly annoying the truly annoying mix up is people using genocide to describe the destruction of humanity. :facehoof: In case you're wondering why that's annoying it's another case of people using the wrong word again. If Celestia truly was just going after once race of humans or say the mormons and exterminating them, that's genocide, the willful destruction of a race or religious sect. The destruction of a species is xenocide.

I liked this at first, it's a good concept and this is the first time I've seen Discord in a TCB story, but I say at first because I went to google a simplified explanation of entropy to understand the basis of this story.

To sum it up, entropy is the measure of chaos. How energy (any form at all) slowly slips into a state of absolute disorder and becomes useless; like when a battery is dead the acid which creates the electricity is still there, it just doesn't support an electron chain anymore. If I'm understanding this right, Celestia hasn't plunged Earth/Equestria into a state of disorder, rather the opposite. So how did discord rise again? I dunno, I'm confused, explain please. :ajbemused:

2211760

You are understanding it right, but you didn't make the connection to life.

Life is order. Quite literally. Your body is built in a way that facilitates higher functions, your brain is capable of thinking in abstract and systematic ways. Even the very act of existing (by consuming energy, that is converting energy into lower, more entropic forms of energy (heat) ) screams order.
And the longer a species, especially an intelligent one like humanity, lives, the more it will create systems and things and worlds. All of which are something specific, the opposite of chaos. How much you consider the TCB universe to be 'chaotic' doesn't matter, because it is still structured, still information. Any kind of information is order, and thus the opposite of entropy.

By annihilating all this, Celestia destroyed all the order that was contained within humanity and their products. All the beings that lived, works that were created, things built, systems established, knowledge and fiction and arts and history and progress contained within an entire world, exterminated and turned into nothingness (or a bare new world, depending on how you see it).

That is the destruction of order. That is entropy.

This is quite possibly one of the most brilliant story ideas I have come across in recent months.

The possibilities are almost endless. How many ponies existed before the conversion bureau? 200-300 million maybe? They are now the minority, but hiding in plain sight. This is the curious part: it is impossible to tell the difference between a pony and a newfoal. All that is different is their minds. And while some minds have been converted willingly, many were not. Yet most will not declare a war on PONIES per say. How do they know they aren't attacking another newfoal? No, there are only two ponies, (six if you're picky) who are at the center of this. Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna.

Another factor is that humans are unbelievably hard to unify. It takes a single, shared passion to truly make a mob move as one. And for all their hatred of the little ponies, and the sorrow for the loss of their world, they are ponies. The ordinary man finds it quite difficult to kill something that looks just like him.

No, this will all come down on the Royal Pony Sisters. The question is, what do they do? They transformed the humans to save them, but against their will. They have made a true mistake, and must pay for it. And Discord himself isn't exactly fond of the girls himself. Will you ever write a sequel?

1173725 Thank you :)

this needs more like NOW!
and more piges

Wow, this was amazing.

Discord, the personification of Equestria? Makes sense.

Out to bring vengeance on Celestia through her own chaos? Win.

Want more chapter.

Moar please :fluttershysad:

:pinkiegasp: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (clears throat) UUUUUCK YEAH!!

8:06 to 8:50

Discord is Mephiles

Celestia is Shadow.

But this discord/mephiles was right


That celestia/shadow did destory humanity

ja take your deserved Solar tyrant:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

This story hasn't been commented on in months. So now it's getting its 48th comment. I enjoyed what little was written here. I'd ask for more, but it would be a futile endeavor.

I wonder how much those front-row seats cost... It would be a good show.

Login or register to comment