• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 5,306 Views, 577 Comments

Death of a Queen - Arkane12



Chrysalis had welcomed the end, but one final visitor forces her to reconsider.

  • ...
12
 577
 5,306

PreviousChapters Next
32: Winding Down

Chrysalis stormed out into the hallway. The moment she lost sight of the others, she let her façade fall. Clenching her teeth, she stumbled, trying to catch her breath.

“Chrysalis?”

Twilight stepped out behind her, prepared to give chase. In her haste, she nearly tackled the changeling.

“Twilight?”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.”

Chrysalis continued toward her room.

“Then why are you limping?”

“You aren’t going to let this go, are you? I will be fine. I’m just a little tired right now.”

Chrysalis tried to press forward, but her legs buckled beneath her. Twilight rushed forward, catching her with a shoulder to lean on. The weight nearly crushed the little alicorn.

“You’re heavier than I thought you’d be,” Twilight muttered.

“Don’t you know it’s rude to say that?”

“Sorry. I was just . . . caught off guard by it is all.”

“Why are you even carrying me?”

Twilight gathered herself, helping the changeling limp onward.

“You carried me out of the portal. You carried me when I hurt my wing. It’s only right I return the favor.”

“I mean, why didn’t you just use your magic?”

Twilight turned away.

“Twilight, why didn’t you use your magic?”

Chrysalis stopped, forcing Twilight to stop with her.

“I might . . . not . . . have it?” Twilight grinned guiltily.

Chrysalis sucked a breath in through her teeth and pushed Twilight away. Though she was unsteady, she kept upright.

“What did you do?”

“Remember how I turned into that . . . other me?”

“I remember.”

“I think I might have pushed myself a little too far. I haven’t been able to use my magic since I turned back.”

The two of them piled into Chrysalis’ room. The changeling stumbled over to her bed, curling up beneath the sheets. Twilight sat at the edge.

“You don’t seem that concerned,” Chrysalis noted.

“It’s not the first time. Anytime I push my magic too hard I get like that. Well, I think. This is only the second time I’ve ever done it. Last time was when I was still in training. It came back in a day or two.”

“And you survived that long without magic?” Chrysalis asked incredulously.

“Hey, monsters and villains didn’t try to kill me until I was much older.”

“Villains like me?”

Twilight’s mood soured instantly. She turned toward Chrysalis. The changeling pulled the sheets up to her neck. Her body shivered beneath them.

“Villains like you? Does this have something to do with what Rainbow said? She says a lot of things. She doesn’t mean to be rude, she . . .” Twilight considered her next words carefully. “Her mouth moves faster than her mind.”

“You should go back to them.”

“Not until I’m sure you’re okay.”

Chrysalis dug her head deeper into the mound of pillows at the head of the bed. “I’ll probably need to go see Thorax. I could use a bit of a boost.”

“Was that kiss not enough for you? I could be persuaded to give you another, you know?” Twilight let herself fall onto the bed so she and Chrysalis were forced to face one another.

“No. It was enjoyable.”

“That hardly sounds like a glowing review. I’ve never kissed anyone before. We’ll have to practice more.”

“That was your first kiss? With me?”

“Yeah.” Twilight tilted her head. “Is something wrong with that?”

“Twilight, have you ever . . . been interested in another pony before?”

“Maybe?” Twilight glanced around the room.

Chrysalis giggled. The dark luster flooded back into her cheeks.

“I like hearing you laugh like that. It’s cute,” Twilight admitted.

“You shouldn’t have told me that. It’s only my evil laugh from now on.” On cue, she opened her mouth, unleashing a terrifying cackle.

“Still kind of cute.”

“You’re impossible, Twilight.”

Smiling, Chrysalis freed a hoof from her covers, running it through Twilight’s mane.

“You’re not the first one to tell me that. Doubt you’ll be the last, either.”

“Now, don’t you worry about me. A good night’s sleep and I’ll be right as rain. You run along back to your friends.”

“If you’re sure.”

Hesitantly, Twilight peeled herself from Chrysalis' side. As she opened the door to leave, the changeling called out to her.

“Twilight?”

“Yeah?”

“Come back tonight. There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

“I will.”

And with that, Twilight left, letting the door close behind her.

Chrysalis exhaled slowly. The perfume of Twilight’s affection hung in the air. It invoked memories of flowing fields, of crowded bakeries. She could feel her muscles burn as her lungs demanded her to breathe.

Beneath the harsh light of the mid-morning sun, Chrysalis studied the blank walls of her room. The same mostly barren shelves, the same ugly paintings. Despite the time she spent here, Chrysalis couldn’t shake the feeling gnawing at the back of her mind. Without Twilight by her side, this place still felt foreign.

That same assaulting unfamiliarity had only increased with each of Twilight’s loved ones that arrived. In her head, she pictured Twilight’s friends. More specifically, their shocked expressions at Twilight’s show of affection.

“How hard could it be for them to accept a Princess of Equestria to be close with a Changeling Queen. Or rather, a former Changeling Queen, I guess. Is that so hard to believe?” Chrysalis asked the emptiness around her.

She drew herself tight beneath the thin sheets in a vain attempt to fight the morning chill. Outside, snowflakes fluttered down from the sky.

The first snow of the winter.

“Is it that hard to believe?” she repeated to herself.

Kind of.

“Shut up.”


Twilight slipped in through a crack in the bedroom door. Her friends still sat around the table, exchanging idle chatter as they waited for the guest of honor to return. Rainbow had retrieved a new cloud, judging by the small pockets of snow on it. Cadence noticed Twilight’s return first.

“Is everything alright?” she asked.

“Yeah. She just needed to lay down,” Twilight explained.

“Well, after everything you’ve told us, she definitely deserves it,” Cadence agreed.

“What about you, Twilight?” Applejack wondered.

“I’m alright. In fact, I feel better than I have in a long time.”

“Glad to hear it.”

The group finished their refreshments in relative quiet. Occasionally, a hint of conversation would return to address some portion of recent events. Twilight explained her theories on Celestia’s condition and filled in a few extra details about her battle with the Nightmare. She made sure to keep her outburst secret.

“So, what are your plans now?” Rainbow questioned. “You coming back to Ponyville yet? It’s been boring without you stirring up trouble.”

“Not just yet.” Twilight finished the last of the biscuits, dripping a bit of grape jelly onto the table. “Celestia isn’t healed yet. I need to figure out what went wrong with my cure. I have a few ideas, but . . .”

“Don’t you think you should take a break?” Rarity suggested.

“I don’t have time,” Twilight argued.

“I know. Still, a break could help you clear your head. Maybe allow you to think of something you haven’t considered before.” Rarity wiped her lip unnecessarily with a napkin. “According to Sweetie Belle, when you’re struggling with a difficult problem, it can help to take a step back and return with a fresh perspective.”

“I suppose that’s a fair point.”

“I suggest we go out for dinner tonight. Somewhere fancy where you can take your mind off all of this.” The unicorn motioned to the castle around her.

“I don’t know . . .”

“Come on, Twilight.” Applejack clapped Twilight on the back. “Just one night won’t hurt nothing.”

“I guess so. You had something in mind?”

“The Canterlot Crown.” Rarity threw her forelegs up in the air.

“That fancy restaurant down the street. I’ve heard you have to make a reservation days in advance to get in there.” Twilight inquired.

“For a normal pony,” Cadence admitted. “But they’re kind enough to make exceptions for princesses.”

“I don’t want to take anyone’s spot.”

“They’re contractually obligated to. Celestia keeps them on the payroll to keep a dining room open in case it’s needed for Royal meetings. For last minute envoys and such.” Cadence wore a proud smile.

Twilight tried to mimic the grin, but only managed a nervous imitation.

“What do I wear?”

“Don’t you worry about that,” Rarity said dramatically. “I’ll make sure you look beautiful for a night on the town.”

“Did you invite Spike and Starlight, too?”

“Shouldn’t be a problem.” Cadence nodded.

“What about Chrysalis?”

Cadence sighed.

“I don’t . . . think that’s a good idea, Twilight.”

“I don’t want to just leave her here.”

“The ponies of Canterlot still don’t know about her or what happened to Celestia. I don’t think we can risk her being seen by the public while she can’t disguise herself.” Cadence perked up. “But, if you think she needs it, I’d be happy to keep her company myself.”

“I’m not sure.”

“Besides, you said yourself that she needs rest. You go enjoy yourself, I’ll make sure Chrysalis is taken care of. I owe the both of you that much.”

“Alright,” Twilight conceded. “You’ve convinced me.”

A cheer erupted from the group, nearly knocking Twilight from her chair.

“Under one condition,” Cadence declared.

The ponies turned to her, confused.

“Until you leave tonight, I want you to rest, Twilight. No working. No studying. Just resting.”

“I’m a grown-up, Cadence. You’re not my foalsitter anymore. I can take care of myself. You don’t need to worry about me.”

“Last time you said that, Twilight, you hadn’t eaten in over a day. I promised that I wouldn’t tell you what to do as a princess. But I’m telling you this as your sister. It’s entirely different.”

Twilight frowned.

Cadence held a stiff upper lip.

“Fine,” Twilight scowled. “Send me to bed like a little filly.”

“Glad we settled that. As for the rest of you, I don’t want any of you disturbing Twilight’s rest. You’ll have all night to talk. All right?”

Cadence sounded like an overbearing mother. A fact that didn’t go unnoticed by the rest of the adult mares at the table. Still, despite their age, the authority in the alicorn’s voice demanded respect.

“Understood, Princess Cadence,” They all agreed.

“Good. In the meantime, the guards have been instructed to treat you all as honored guests. Canterlot Castle is fully open to you, as are the castle grounds, and the city of Canterlot. Enjoy yourselves. If I might make a recommendation, there is a spa in the lower wings.”

Twilight waved goodbye to her friends as they were escorted to their day of relaxation. Except for Cadence, who received a sour frown. Given her laughter, Twilight guessed the Princess of Love enjoyed her power.

Still, once she returned to her room and settled into bed, Twilight realized she made the right choice. Though her sheets had not been changed since her return, they felt cooler and softer than she remembered.

It didn’t take long for her body’s betrayal to take hold. Her eyelids grew heavier with each snowflake that fluttered past the windows. Buried beneath several blankets, Twilight quickly settled in for a restful slumber.

PreviousChapters Next