• Published 21st Aug 2020
  • 5,135 Views, 59 Comments

So Long Old Friend - Silver Butcher



The Immortal Main 6 Spend time with an old Spike

  • ...
12
 59
 5,135

Oh! Fluttershy you've come to visit me

Author's Note:

This story was originally published October-17-2017 and was written in less than 2 days, it is being re-released as it has just been heavily edited

Spike was sleeping in the large underground cavern that the Elements had made for him. He was the official Castle Guardian, of course that had been in his youth, but nowadays he usually stayed inside. He had arthritis, and on some occasions his legs would give out and he'd crush parts of the huge city that had once been Ponyville. To avoid large lawsuits he had been confined to the cave.

Of course his friends still visited him every day, and they all made sure he went for picnics and walks with them. They just had to be there with him so Twilight and Rarity could catch him and make sure no harm came to the town or most importantly him. It was one such day that Fluttershy came to visit him.

Time had definetly not been kind on the old dragon, "Oh, is that you, Rainbow?" Spike asked with a weak smile.

"No, it's me, Spike." Fluttershy sweetly corrected him

"Pinkie? I don't remember you having wings."

"No, Spike. It's me, Fluttershy." She said as she tapped his scales, checking for loose ones.

"Fluttershy?" Spike's slow mind struggled to recall the name. After a small period of time the name clicked in his head, "OH! I'm sorry Fluttershy, how long's it been? A year? Two?"

"I was here last week Spike, " Fluttershy said sweetly, having gotten used to working with Spike's dwindling memory. "How are you today?"

"Oh.....I'm fine, how are you Rainbow?" Spike asked genuinely.

Fluttershy sighed, "That was even faster than last week." She flew up, and using a magic washcloth, went from scale to scale, polishing them one at a time. By the time she was done and had gotten back into Spike's line of sight he said something that caught her completely off guard.

"So how's Starlight doing?" he said in a merry tone.

Fluttershy froze, a tear formed in her eye, but she quickly wiped it out and turned back around to Spike with a smile. "Oh, she's doing fine." She lied, "I'm sure she'll be coming back from the hospital any day now." she turned to finish Spikes cleaning when he continued.

"How's Fluttershy?" he asked causing her to freeze, "It's been awhile since I've seen her, though she does have a lot of animals to care for, but I'm sure she'll come see me sometime." he happily babbled unaware of the tears slowly pouring on his hand. After a few minutes of organizing herself, she flew out of his view and did the back of his neck. A few minutes later she finished and was about to visit the chefs to grab one of Spikes' specially made meals when he saw her and jollily eclaimed.

"Oh! Fluttershy you've come to visit me!"

She froze and turned to him, "You.....you......you recognized me."

"How could I not recognize you?" he said happily "How ha...." he cut off when he saw her crying, "oh are you alright?"

"You recognized me?" she said through tears, "You haven't recognized me in years." she sobbed as she hugged his claw. Spike stared blankly at her for a while, trying to figure out why a pony was crying on him.