• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 28,064 Views, 3,490 Comments

The Many Secret Origins of Scootaloo - defender2222



Everyone wonders what Scootaloo's story is. Apparently, everypony in Ponyville has their own answer

  • ...
78
 3,490
 28,064

defender2222

There were certain things that, since she had moved to Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle had come to expect to find when she woke up. They included:

-Pinkie Pie attempting to throw a 'Good Morning!' party in her bathroom (how she managed to hide in the toilet that one time, Twilight never knew)

-Spike dancing around in sunglasses, playing his saxophone (though that wasn’t THAT annoying…except when Octavia had spent that one week pestering him to join her band and be her drakefriend)

-Rainbow Dash knocking on the door, wanting to know if the new Daring Do novel was out (‘Maybe I should let her know about Fluttershy…if only to see her have five heart attacks in a row’)

-Mayor Mare dancing in her yard while wearing a cow costume, attempting to make the grass grow (which happened more often than one would think/hope)

But finding Derpy and Dinky Hooves sitting at her table while a strange creature that looked nothing like a pony made breakfast… that did not even make her Top 758 List of Things to Expect In the Morning(#758 was, of course, Queen Chrysalis sitting in her living room playing chess with a Diamond Dog).

“HI MISS TWILIGHT!” Dinky squealed.

"Morning, Twilight," the strange creature that had broken into her home said, checking the eggs to make sure they were getting fluffy (the trick is a splash of milk). "I was originally planning to make us pancakes but then I remembered that pancakes are made after a night of love-making and...well...no offense but I like my girlfriends to have hands." He paused, a smirk forming on his lips. "Of course, if I had even tried such a thing I'm pretty sure all the readers would have tarred and feathered me! Have you seen some of the reviews I got for the last chapter? Geez!”

“I tarred and feathered somepony once,” Derpy said. “And by tarring I mean hug and feathered I mean join the army and by did I mean I did not.”

Twilight just stared at Derpy before turning to look at the creature, deciding that between it and Derpy the creature would be the easiest to figure out.

He looked nothing like a pony at all; his face was flat, topped with very short blonde hair and a neatly trimmed goatee that encircled his mouth. He was bipedal, with long legs and arms that forced him to stoop as he worked on breakfast (the kitchen was designed for a pony, not a being over 6 feet in height). He wore a pair of jeans and a red hoodie, over which was thrown a long brown coat that reached his casual shoes. A pair of glasses rested on his nose and he seemed to always be pondering something or laughing.

At once she knew what he was.

"You're one of those humans Lyra was shouting about," Twilight said dumbly, looking around in fear, as if she suspected Lyra to leap out at any moment and try to take the stranger's hands (little did Twilight know that Lyra was out of town, promoting her new rap album "Lyra and Bon Bon Go Back to School").

“Of course he is!” Dinky said. “He’s like my daddy…except he can’t regenerate and is a human human and not a human who is really a Time Lord that regenerated into a Time Lord Pony.”

“Exactly.” The human pulled the fry pan from the stove and left it for Dinky and Derpy to divide up while he focused on making the hash browns. "Normally I'd prefer some bacon but I have a feeling you wouldn't take kindly to me eating something you might have had a conversation with. Too bad...breakfast isn't breakfast if I haven't made some baby animal an orphan."

"Who...how...why..." Twilight stammered, wondering (not for the first time) if none of the events of the last few days were really happening and she had, in fact, suffered a stroke and was now strapped to a hospital bed, hallucinating everything she was living through.

The human chuckled, finishing with the hash browns and motioning for her to join the rest of them at the table. Twilight dully did, trying to wrap her mind around these new events. Derpy was diving into the muffins the human had made while Dinky happily gobbled up her eggs. "All good questions,” he said as he began to spoon some scrambled eggs onto her plate. “The who is the most complex thing to answer. The short answer is that I have many names...Kevin, Carter, Jonathan, Geno, Arliss, Mr. Chaos (A personal favorite of mine, I must admit) but currently I am going by defender2222."

“You’re like me!” Derpy said, swallowing a hunk of muffin. “Sometimes I’m Derpy and sometimes I’m Ditzy and sometimes I am Deathstorm, Dark Queen of Ruin.”

Dinky nodded. “I’m always Dinky.”

"defender2222? Really?" Twilight asked, staring at the strange human.

"Hey, I could make fun of your name, Miss Sparkle. Sounds like you should be a laundry soap." Defender held out his hands like he was a Manehattan theater director setting up the scene. "Twilight Sparkle: It gets your tough stains out!" Dinky giggled at defender2222’s joke, while Derpy looked at her bubble cutie mark and wondered if she hadn’t gotten Twilight’s by mistake.

"Like I haven't heard that one before," she grumbled, levitating some toast over and taking a bite (if she was going to suffer through insanity at least she could get a meal out of it).

"As for how I got here: the magic of the 4th wall...and not because of a lack of creativity as I know SOME of you believe! Yeah, you…yes, you, the one that is getting ready to go read “Cadence Rising” instead of this! Don’t you dare click that link!"

Twilight watched as the strange man wagged his finger at seemingly empty space. "Uh...who are you yelling at?"

"The readers," defender said with a shrug, all his anger suddenly burned away, leaving him calm. "You know, the people that keep giving this story favorites?" Under his breath he muttered. "Haven't gotten a TVtropes page yet...lousy-"

"What do you mean, readers? What readers?"

defender2222 sighed. "How to explain this without shattering your sense of worth..." he tapped his chin, contemplating that riddle as he munched on his hash brown.

"Why don't you just be blunt?" Twilight asked. She had decided 3 seconds into this conversation that she must be dreaming or having a psychological break (considering last night she had fought with her reflection, that was becoming more and more likely) and it would be worthless to try and fight with logic. Better just to give in and accept defeat (much like the Manehattan Mets did every baseball season).

"Alright then...you are currently in a fan fiction that I created a few weeks ago that is being read by nearly a thousand humans."

Twilight blinked. "A...what?"

"Fan fiction," Derpy stated happily, poppy seeds from her muffin covering her lips like snowflakes. "It is a story written by a fan not attributed to a show or movie. It would be like if Rainbow Dash wrote a story about Daring Do. defender2222 thinks we are in a show."

"That…is crazy.” Twilight shook her head, wondering if the human was just as nuts as Lyra (and every other pony in Equestria, apparently).

"Oh boy..." the human tugged on his beard. "Ok, be blunt, be blunt...you are my interpretation of a cartoon character that is part of a franchise that was originally designed to sell toys to little girls back in the 80s."

"...Tydal already tried the 'you're a toy' story."

“Did I get a figure?” Dinky asked.

“Not yet but your mom did.”

“Cool!” Derpy said happily. “I hope it came with toy muffins! I wouldn't want toy me to get hungry.”

defender2222 continued. "Yes, Tydal told you the toy origin, and other than that Scootaloo part, everything he said was true… but I created Tydal which makes me his daddy and thus whatever he said I can take credit for because that is what fathers do." defender2222 blinked, considering his words. "Wait...I established that Tau Sunflare is his mother...so I just made it canon in my story that me and an alicorn have a kid...holy crap that is twisted, even for me!" He looked down, lips pursed. "Hope I don't owe any child support or alimony."

Derpy blinked. “You owe her all-your-money? How will you pay your rent?” She let out a horrified gasp. “How will you buy-“

“Muffins?” defender asked.

“-pizza!” Everypony stared at Derpy, who glowered a bit at them. “What…I can like more than muffins!”

"That's racist!" Dinky proclaimed.

Twilight blinked, going back to defender’s explanation. "I only understood every third word you said," Twilight complained. She ate a bit of her eggs, considering all defender2222 had told her ('even if he is crazy, at least he is a great cook!'). "So...you are trying to tell me none of us are real?"

"Heck no!" the writer exclaimed. "You are very real."

"How can I be...you just said I was a cartoon character."

"That doesn't make you any less real. In the hearts and minds of millions of fans you exist and that is all that matters. Look at it this way...more humans know your name than mine. They know what you look like, your life story; there are maybe a thousand people at most that know I exist. If anyone is less real at this table, it's me!"

"...you're a bit crazy, aren't you?"

defender2222 smirked. "We're all crazy, Twilight. I’m just ahead of the curve.”

“I’m not crazy!” Derpy said, trying to balance 5 muffins on her head while Dinky cheered her on.

Twilight had to accept the human’s logic (as much as she didn't want too). "So...as for the why…why are you all here?”

Defender2222 tugged on his beard (apparently a nervous habit). "Ah, and now we come to the meta part of this chapter." The writer flashed a wide grin at his audience. "Be glad, originally I wrote this entire thing as a dream that wasn't nearly as funny and was incredibly meta. It was like Abed from Community had written it."

“We’re here because Mr. defender invited us!” Dinky said happily. “He said we are popular with the fans and he wanted his chapter to be liked by as maaaannnnyyyy people-ponies as possible!”

“And to make up for all the icky sex stuff that grossed out some of the readers,” Dinky said, making a ‘yucky’ face.

Derpy frowned. “I liked the sex stuff…”

defender2222 leaned back in his chair, stretching out his lean 6 foot 2 frame as he took control of the conversation. "You see, every chapter of this story has been a parody of different origins and ways to tell stories. I've done clop fics and superponies and mystical origins and OCs. This chapter is the Author-Insert chapter and the ‘human comes to Equestria’ chapter, where I blatantly add myself to the story and have a starring role. I think I'll also add a bit of Mary Sue here and make everyone love and respect me like I'm Jonathan from that one Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Mainly because I am still sad some people didn’t like the last few chapters and I need cheering up." He paused, taking out a note pad and wrote ‘Note to Self: Scootaloo as Buffy chapter’.

Twilight was about to comfort the deranged man, but Spike chose that moment to walk into the kitchen and the baby dragon, upon seeing the human, let out a gasp. "You're defender2222! You are the one writing this fic! This is so cool, can I have your autograph?"

"See what I mean?" defender asked Twilight with a laugh, grabbing a quill and a scroll and quickly signing an autograph. "I can also make him squeal…want to see?”

"Maybe later," Twilight said, rolling her eyes at her assistant's antics. defender2222 quickly added a plot twist where Spike decided to leave them alone and turned back to the unicorn. "Ok, I'll admit that is handy...any way I could learn to do that?"

"Sure, but it would only work in stories you wrote, not in the real world. Believe me, if I had god-like powers in my reality, I would be worse than Discord."

"Did you just admit you'd be an evil bringer of chaos?"

"I actually think of you as chaotic neutral,” Derpy said.

Dinky looked at the audience. "Meta!"

"...can we get back to the point?"

"Right right, sorry...I am rewriting this chapter during my lunch and I let my mind wander. Now then, the question of 'why am I here'. That is rather simple too: I want to tell my own origin story about Scootaloo....because what use is there of being a self-inserted Marty Sue character if I can't have all the answers?"

"I guess none. And of course this has nothing to do with you having a gigantic ego and wanting to be part of a popular story, does it?"

defender2222 clapped. "Nicely done, Twilight. Very good burn."

"Thank you," Twilight said with a slight blush as Derpy and Dinky applauded.

"Now then, time to give the fans what they have been waiting for: The TRUE origin of Scootaloo!"

~Several Years Ago at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’s Studio~

“Great table read, guys!” Lauren Faust called out, waving to the actresses as they grabbed their coats. “I’ll see you at recording in a few days!” Securing her notebook and script (which was covered in scribbles and revision notes), Lauren made her way towards her office, only to pause when she saw Meghan McCarthy, the writer of the episode they had just gotten done reading, juggling several scripts, a cup of coffee and a laptop case. Taking pity on her, Lauren hurried over and snatched the coffee before it spilled all over the ground.

“Thanks,” Meghan said.

“No problem.” Lauren followed Meghan into her office.

“Listen, I wanted to talk to you about the episode.”

“Shoot,” Lauren said, taking a seat.

"I really think the Cutie Mark Crusaders are going to be a big hit with the fans," Meghan said with a grin, reaching over and grabbing a stress ball off her desk and tossing it in the air.

"Wait a minute, I don't understand..."

"What is there to understand? These are the writers of your show, who created you and all of the new characters.”

“I think my brain is trying to claw its way out of my skull.”

“Yeah, that tends to happen when I tell stories.”

“My brain is always doing that!”

“…good for you, Derpy.”

"I want to go further with them, Lauren, really make them meaningful characters. I have some great ideas for episodes involving them and the main cast." Meghan thumbed through her notes. "Ok, so we've already done an Applebloom story, but Cindy and I came up with this great episode involving Sweetie Belle and Rarity fighting over their different views and Applejack helping them out."

Lauren nodded her head in agreement. "That sounds like a great idea! I don't know if we can get to it this season but we'll make sure it gets into season 2."

"Great!" Meghan said with a grin. "Now, I also have this idea for an episode involving Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo...I don't know if Hasbro will go for it, but I really think we should make them half sisters and they haven't really known each other, but now-"

"Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo aren't sisters," Lauren said simply.

"Oh...well, I just assumed, since the other two were sisters..." Lauren merely shook her head and Meghan shrugged. "Alright, no big deal...I suppose I could modify that pitch...oh! I have the perfect idea! What if Scootaloo's parents are overprotective and don't want her hanging out with the Crusaders-"

"Scootaloo doesn't have parents."

Meghan was flabbergasted. "Wow...you want to go the orphan route? That's edgy!"

Lauren stood up and walked over to the window, hands clasped behind her back. "She isn't an orphan either, Meghan."

"Then...what is she?" the puzzled writer asked.

"Nothing. Scootaloo is nothing. She has no backstory...and she never will. She is merely a character designed to move the plot along."

Meghan went from flabbergasted to floored. "Lauren...you...you can't be serious! Those /4chan/ boards will explode if we do something like that! The fans have been naming every character and giving them a backstory...for God's sake they made that one brown pony the Doctor and have developed an entire backstory for Derpy that is more complex than anything we've come up with for Twilight Sparkle ("HEY!")! We...we have to give them some kind of backstory for Scootaloo...it would just be evil not too!"

“Evil?” Lauren slowly turned, a wicked gleam filling her eyes. "I know." She raised her hand to mouth, extending her pinkie and placing next to the corner of her lips. "Mwhahahaha.... Mwhahahahah! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHA!" She threw her head back and chortled in evil glee at the thought of driving her fans insane. "Now then...come Mini-Me!"

A Lauren Faust that was 1/8th the size of the original hurried out from a closet, joining regular Lauren in laughing.

~MC~MC~MC~

"And that is how Equestria was made," defender2222 said. "God, I've waited a long time to say that!"

"..." Twilight stared at defender2222, her eyes swirling about like Pinkie's when she did her 'Evil Zecora' song.

defender2222 just smirked. “Well, I need to be off…you have a busy day ahead of you…wait till you hear Cheerilee’s theory on Scootaloo…the fans have been bugging me for it for so long…” He stood up, Dinky and Derpy joining him.

Twilight snapped out of her insanity. “Wait…why would I need to hear Cheerilee’s theory…you just told me Scootaloo’s origin.”

defender2222 sheepishly smiled. “Well, about that…what is real in MY universe is not what is real in your universe.”

“So…this was just a big waste of time?”

“You got breakfast out of it, what more do you want?” defender2222 complained as he made his way to the door.

“More muffins?” Derpy asked.

“More lines?” Dinky added.

“No wonder you don’t have a TVtropes page yet!” Twilight shouted. “And I hope people give you bad reviews!”

defender2222 began to sniff. “You might be smart, Twilight, but you aren’t good at sparing people’s feelings!” the writer began to cry, Derpy and Dinky comforting him.

“It’s ok…I’m sure you will get a page soon enough,” Derpy said soothingly, Dinky jumping onto his shoulder and patting him on the head as the three left the library. Twilight merely rolled her eyes, returning to her breakfast.

“That was mean, Twilight!” Pinkie said, jumping out of the fridge.

“Pinkie…what are you doing here?” Twilight shouted in shock.

“I got a twitchy twitch that somepony was breaking the 4th wall and I wanted to stop them!”

“…huh?” Twilight muttered.

“The fourth wall…somepony was breaking it! I hate it when ponies break the fourth wall.”

“Seriously?” Twilight questioned.

“Of course! It’s cheap and stupid and anypony that thinks otherwise should be ashamed!” Pinkie turned towards the audience. “You hear me?”