• ...
2
 1
 480

Articles Overlooked

Pinkie Pie was sprawled out on her bed amidst a terrible mess of wrinkled sheets and scattered pillows, sleeping so heavily even the rocks on her family farm would be jealous.

Her unfortunate alarm clock had been dashed against the wall on the other side of the room for the crime of attempting to wake her, yet sleep was ever an elusive thing, and in the end the frustrating call of the waking world would not be denied.

About half an hour after the time of death, the sun shone through her bedroom window in retaliation for the mechanical abuse, piercing the pink eyelids of the untidy tyrant that lay drooling on her one remaining pillow.

She fought savagely, desperately, but no amount of kicking and flailing could ward off the avenging light, and soon the sudden and unpleasant realization that she had overslept erupted in her head, raking across her mind like nails on a chalkboard and severing the fragile bonds of sleep.

Her eyes flew open like window shades and she abruptly rolled over, disoriented, which sent her accidentally tumbling over the side of the bed and onto the floor.

“Ouch.” What the landing lacked in grace it made up for by shaking off the last vestiges of her grogginess. After a brief struggle to unbind herself from her bedsheets, she bolted upright, so quickly that she lost vision for a moment and nearly lost her balance as well.

She took a moment to steady herself, waiting for everything to swim back into focus before proceeding to scout her room for fresh clothing.

After a few seconds she recalled that she had deliberately left out a pair of jeans the night before, and prioritized her search filters, eventually identifying them hanging from the rack mounted on the back of her bedroom door.

Before she made a move to grab them, however, there was the somewhat imperative matter of changing her underwear. She had fallen asleep in yesterday’s bra and panties, and just barely remembered setting aside the jeans before collapsing onto her bed, exhausted from helping everyone prepare for today.

Stepping lightly over the ensnaring sheets, she halted before her dresser and hastily undid her bra.

It fell to the floor, immediately forgotten, her breasts spilling out and expanding to their full, fluffy shape that reminded her of those pink balloons she liked so much.

Pressed for time, she swiftly managed to liberate one leg after the other from her panties, leaving the article where it fell and proceeding to hastily peruse her collection of colorful socks and undies that she kept tucked away in her dresser until, at long last, she found a matching set of white panties and knee-socks with pink stripes.

The pants she slipped on quickly, deliberately snapping the elestic with a satisfying sting and smiling to herself. Her socks were less cooperative, forcing her to hop and pull while her unbound chest tugged and shook with notable discomfort, but she managed somehow and she took a moment to appreciate the comforting pressure that hugged her legs.

When it was time for the jeans she neglected to alter her tactics, replicating the sock incident with uncanny accuracy until she unexpectedly toppled back onto her bed with a dignified squeak.

One again she flailed about, kicking her legs and tugging at the hem of her jeans until her sock-covered feet appeared out the bottoms of her pant-legs.

Having tugged the waist up as far as it would go under current conditions, she rolled forward into a standing position where she easily finished pulling them on and zipping them up, fastening the button with gratifying finality.

She wanted to do something with her hair, but did not have a mirror in her room as she no longer trusted them after hearing of her equine counterpart’s disturbing incident with the Mirror Pond. Still, she did her best to secure her wily curls, threading her hair through the back of a CHS softball cap into what she hoped resembled a loose ponytail.

As she turned to leave she caught sight of Gummy, her diminutive pet alligator, staring at her from atop her dresser. She didn’t remember seeing him there a moment before when she was rifling though her drawers. Also, there was something about his usual blank, unchanging expression the seemed to suggest that he was trying to tell her something.

“Good morning gummy.” she said first, feeling bad for not noticing him earlier. “What’s the matter?”

He blinked, and that was about the extent of his response.

She frowned and put her hands on her hips. “I don’t have time for this.” she groaned as she picked him up and placed him delicately back in his terrarium. Without a second thought, she rushed out of the bedroom and into the main space of her tiny apartment.

She was hungry but time was slipping away, so she responsibly chose to eat a few spoonfuls of leftover frosting from yesterday, trying not to imagine the frustration of missing her rendezvous and being left behind.

When the container was empty she bolted to unlock the door, swinging it open with alarming speed to reveal Applejack on the other side, about to knock.

“A.J.!” she said, relieved. “Thanks for coming to get me. My alarm clock didn’t go off so I overslept, but now I’m ready.”

Applejack slowly lowered her hand and looked her up and down. “Are ya sure yer ready?”

Pinkie looked confused. “Of course. I mean, I know my hair is probably a mess but like I said I was running behind. I was just about to head out...”

She noticed that A.J. wasn’t making eye contact and slowly followed her gaze downward. When realization finally came, her face was flushed with embarrassment. She stiffened up, looking on with a pained expression on her face.

“I’ll be right back.” she said dryly, closing the door and dashing back to her room to fetch a bra and a shirt.

Author's Note:

I actually wrote this relatively quickly, having begun and ended whilst in the middle of work on other things. I have taken a few liberties by combining certain features from EqG and FiM while still maintaining the link between the human world and the animal one. I have yet to find a particularly detailed reference for locations in the human world, so I am making do with my own imagination.

The purpose of this story was to play around with the omission of details, and the amount of freedom that can come from leaving things out. I also wanted to see how much the mind of the reader is willing to fill in, making assumptions based on expected behavior and patterns both within the story and text, and without.

As always, I hope you like it. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 1 )

It was pretty obvious she was going to forget to put on clothes. I'm surprised she didn't make it out the front door naked.

Login or register to comment