• Published 22nd Aug 2020
  • 8,463 Views, 250 Comments

Her Broken Childhood - girasol



After Twilight and her friends blasted Sunset Shimmer with The Elements of Harmony, they did not expect things to take another turn.

  • ...
6
 250
 8,463

Twenty: Burn

Sunset awoke with a jolt. At first, she did not know where she was. After blinking a couple of times, she recalled that she was at Rarity’s.

“Sunset?”

Sunset looked up to see Twilight’s purple face watching her. She positioned herself to sit up but stopped when she suddenly felt dizzy.

“Are you okay? You wanna lay back down?” Twilight asked her.

The amber girl nodded, trying to blink back her blurry vision.

“Do you want water? Are you hungry?”

Sunset nodded, trying to sit back up. Suddenly she felt of wave of nausea hit her. She whimpered, breathing heavily.

Twilight nodded, quickly speeding the girl into the bathroom, “It’s okay, just take all the time you need. I’m not going anywhere.”

After the girl was finished, Twilight flushed the toilet. The small girl whimpered as she cried into Twilight’s embrace.

“Shh... it’s over. It’s okay...” Twilight put a hand to the girl’s forehead. Hmm... she feels warm. Twilight was about to grab the thermometer to check the girl’s temperature when she remembered that a pony’s—well human in this case—temperature rise after nausea. “Come on, let’s go back into the living room.”

Twilight carried the sick girl in her arms as she walked out of the bathroom and into the living room. She gently placed her on the couch and offered the girl some water, “Here sweetie, drink water.”

Sunset slowly took the glass in her hands and drank it half way. She shook her head and handed the rest to Twilight.

Twilight took the glass, placing it onto the side table next to Sunset. Twilight watched in worry as Sunset closed her eyes, seeming too exhausted to do anything else. Twilight sighed, lifting the blanket to the girl’s shoulders.

Twilight slowly got up from the couch after making sure Sunset was asleep and walking into the kitchen where her friends were.

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were sitting together at the counter while Rainbow Dash, and Applejack were at the table. Rarity was standing by the window, her forlorn gaze shifted over from the window to Twilight as she heard her come in.

Hearing footsteps, Fluttershy got off of the stool and made her way over to Twilight, “Is she okay?” Fluttershy whispered.

Twilight closed here eyes, “She threw up again, and she’s asleep now. Where’s the notebook? I need to write it down.”

Rainbow sighed as she passed Twilight the notebook.

Taking the notebook and grabbing the pen, Twilight checked the clock and began writing it down.

Nausea, 6:30pm. Felt warmer than before, looked drowsy and exhausted.

Twilight sighed, clicking the pen closed and placed her face in her hands. After a deep breath, Twilight lifted her face, “I should go watch her—“

Fluttershy put a hand to Twilight’s shoulder, “I’ll go, you should rest Twilight.”

Twilight shook her head, “Fluttershy—“

Fluttershy shook her head as well, “You’re exhausted. Rest. I’ll watch her, don’t worry,” and with that, Fluttershy left the kitchen without another word.

Twilight watched her shy friend leave the scene. She sighed again and she sat down at the table with Applejack and Rainbow Dash. She turned to Rainbow Dash, “Any word from Spike about Princess Celestia?”

Rainbow opened the journal, turned to the last page and shook her head, “Nope.”

Twilight sighed once more. Why wasn’t the Princess answering? She usually responses immediately. Twilight couldn’t shake the feeling that the sun princess was hiding something. Something is going on. Why was a page ripped out of my book?

“Twilight?” Rarity called.

Twilight turned to her pale friend, who was looking very concerned.

Rarity put her pale hand on Twilight’s shoulder, “Why don’t you go upstairs and rest for a bit?”

Twilight shook her head, “I have to stay here in case Sunset—“

“Sunset is resting right now. And you should be too,” Rarity told her, giving her a determined stare that told Twilight she won’t back down.

Twilight rubbed her lips together at the suggestion. She was tired, but she couldn’t bring herself to relax. Princess Celestia hasn’t written back and it bothered her very much, “No it’s okay. I’m fine Rarity.”

“Ah think ya should go rest sugarcube,” Applejack told her, “Ya look exhausted.”

“I’m fine, I just wanna be here when Sunset wakes up. I—“

“Twilight, you need to take care of yourself,” Pinkie Pie interrupted, “You can’t function if you don’t rest.”

“Pink’s got a point.” Rainbow said.

Twilight glanced around the room at her friends. Each one of them giving her the same look Rarity had. Realizing she wouldn’t win this argument, Twilight sighed once again in defeat, “Okay...”

Rarity put a hand to her friends shoulder again, “Come darling, you can use my bedroom.”

Twilight nodded. She still didn’t want to rest but she knew her friends had a point, so she just let Rarity lead her to the bedroom.

“If you need anything, Sweetie Belle’s right down the hall,” Rarity told her before shutting the door closed.

Twilight sat on Rarity’s bed, regretting not bringing her backpack upstairs with her. She could’ve used this time to further research. Twilight thought of sneaking back downstairs to grab it, but her friends would stop her.

Twilight took a deep breath before she laid down on the plush purple bed. She found that she felt a lot tired that she first assumed. I guess I could try to get some sleep...


Fluttershy glanced over at the sleeping child who was curled up to one side, seeming to be uncomfortable. Fluttershy pulled the blanket closer to Sunset’s shoulders, hoping it would help.

Sighing, she faced away from the girl. She couldn’t bare to see anyone suffer. Even though Sunset Shimmer was a bully, she always tried her best to be kind to her. She wouldn’t have wished this suffering on anyone, not even the old Sunset Shimmer. She hated seeing her in pain. She’s a child. One that had to grow up so fast.

A tear drop fell from Fluttershy’s eyes thinking about all the horrible things written on the notebook. Fluttershy wiped the tears off of her cheeks. Oh dear, why do I always get so emotional?

A whimper from Sunset brought Fluttershy out of her thoughts. Looking over at the girl, Fluttershy noticed that she was trembling. Frowning, Fluttershy pulled the cover up more.

Sunset kept on whimpering, now beginning to jerk around in her sleep.

Fluttershy quickly stood up from the couch and knelt down next to Sunset. She herself began to tremble with the sight. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness, what should I do?

Fluttershy gently put her yellow hand on Sunset’s shoulder, “Sunset?” She managed to choke out. Sunset wouldn’t wake. She kept on shaking. With a jolt, the pink haired girl realized she was having a seizure.

Panting, the animal lover mentally went through what she remembered her parents told her about people having seizures. Fluttershy quickly checked her watch. Okay, I need to get her turned her to her side... Gently, she turned her to one side and put a soft pillow underneath her head... Remove any sharp objects nearby... Just in case, Fluttershy removed the blanket... Check the time... 7:10, it’s been a minute.

Finally Sunset stopped, she was breathing heavily and had her eyes half open, eyes staring ahead.

“Sunset?” Fluttershy called, “Are you alright?”

“Wha happened?”

Fluttershy turned around to see four of her friends standing by the living room entrance, “She just had a seizure,” she whispered. She turned back to Sunset, “Sunset can you hear me?”

Sunset slowly blinked, her eyes were still half closed.

Taking that as a no, Fluttershygot closer to the child, “Can you hear me Sunset?”

“Should I get some water?” Rarity asked, already stepping out of the living room.

Fluttershy shook her head, “Not until she’s fully awake,” she gingerly took the small girl’s hand, “Sunset?”

This time, Sunset blinked twice and looked at Fluttershy right in the eye as she slowly nodded.

Fluttershy breathed in a sigh of relief, “Do you know what’s my name?”

Sunset nodded, Flutter-Fluttershy.

The animal lover smiled, “Good. Can you tell me your name?”

Sun... Sunset Shimmer,” the girl croaked out.

“Good,” Fluttershy said, feeling a little more relaxed. Let’s see... what else can I ask her...

“I’m tired Fluttershy...” Sunset told her, already starting to close her eyes again.

Fluttershy gently ran her fingers through Sunset’s hair, “I know sweetie... I just needed to make sure you were okay first. Do you want some water?”

Sunset nodded and off Rarity went into the kitchen. She quickly returned, handing Fluttershy the full glass of fresh water.

Fluttershy took the glass, and motioned for Pinkie and Applejack to sit her on the couch. They both gently lifted her from the ground and sat her next to Fluttershy.

“Water?” Fluttershy asked the child next to her.

Sunset nodded and Fluttershy helped her drink the water. After a couple of sips, Sunset pulled away, “Can I lay down?”

Fluttershy nodded, taking the glass away, “Yes, you can sleep now if you want.”

Fluttershy carefully watched the girl as she laid back down and clutched her Phoenix plush. Soon, Sunset was fast asleep once more.

“Should we tell Twilight?” Pinkie asked.

Applejack shook her head, “We’ll tell ‘er when she wakes up,” she gave out a huff and crossed her arms over her chest, “She’s been at it all day with them books.”

“Are you sure—“

“Ah know. She ain’t gonna like it,” the farm girl interrupted, “But she needs rest too. It ain’t gonna help if she’s too tired ta help Sunset.”


Twilight yawned, sitting up in Rarity’s bed. She furrowed her brows and glanced around the room. I guess I did need the rest...

She got off the bed, furrowing her brows even more, confused on why the house was so silent. She fixed the bed to how Rarity had it before and headed out the door.

As she walked down the stairs, Twilight could hear quiet conversations amongst her friends.

Twilight stepped into the living room as her friends all turned towards the sound of footsteps.

“How did you sleep darling?” Rarity asked her.

Twilight shrugged, “I guess I really needed it,” Twilight glanced around the room at her friends, wondering why they all had the same anxious expressions on their faces, “What? Did something happen?”

Applejack cringed, “Uhh... Ah think it’s best if Fluttershy tell ya.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as she moved her eyes from Applejack to Twilight. She took a shaky breath and cleared her throat, “Umm... she uhh... she had... a seizure,” she squeaked out.

Twilight eyes widened and then narrowed, “What?!”

“Now Twilight, before ya—“

“Why didn’t anyone wake me?” Twilight asked, cutting the farm girl off. She ran over and knelt next to the still sleeping Sunset, “Tell me exactly what happened.”

Fluttershy shrunk at Twilight’s tone, “Well, when I was watching her, she seemed to be really uncomfortable. Then... I saw the signs of a seizure. I remembered what my parents told to do when someone has a seizure, so I did that. It lasted for about a minute,” Fluttershy wilted, “She wasn’t fully aware of her surroundings when the seizure stopped. She said she was tired but I made sure she was alright before we gave her water and I let her sleep.”

Twilight was silent the whole time. And I wasn’t here for any of it... “Why didn’t anyone wake me?”

Applejack crossed her arms, “Twilight ya looked exhausted! Fluttershy knew wha to do. Ya needed to rest!”

Twilight hung her head low, “You’re right. I’m sorry. I’m just...”

The group heard a whimper coming from the couch. Sunset was tossing around, her face scrunched up in distress.

“Shhh... you’re okay Sunset. I’m here,” Twilight said, caressing Sunset’s hair.

Sunset began to pant, “My head...”

Twilight put a hand to Sunset’s face. Hmm... she definitely feels warm... “I’m going to take your temperature again okay?”

Sunset nodded as she watched the older girl turn on the thermometer with a beep. She opened her mouth when Twilight put the device to her lips.

Twilight anxiously watched as the thermometer’s numbers rose. She took her eyes off of the thermometer for a second to watch the shivering child. Sunset has her eyes half closed and her hands clenched to Twilight’s shirt. The young girl definitely looked sick. If it wasn’t for the veins peeking out of her shirt and spread across her arms, Twilight would have guessed she had the common flu.

Finally, the thermometer went off. Twilight gently took the device out of the girl’s mouth and froze. 104.5°F?! Twilight put a hand to Sunset’s forehead. Okay. She’s definitely warmer than before...

Sunset gasped, her hands were clenched around her shirt, sweat was dripping from her face.

Twilight put a hand to Sunset’s shoulders, “Sunset? What’s wrong?”

She said nothing. Her eyes were tightly closed as she began to tremble.

Twilight trying to keep her own breathing steady, put her hands on Sunset’s hands, “Breathe Sunset... breathe...”

Sunset began taking deep breaths, desperately trying to steady her breathing. A jolt of pain shot through her back, making her collapse on Twilight.

Twilight, who immediately knew the bow familiar signals of the... episode, put her hands on Sunset’s, “Sunset... breathe... it’ll pass... it’s gonna be ok— AHH!” Twilight screamed out she felt her hand beginning to burn. She quickly took her hand off and stared at it. While it wasn’t red, like she expected it to be, it was a little pink from the heat.

Sunset on the other hand, was panting heavily. Her eyes were still shut and she was still clenching on to her shirt.

Twilight reached for her again but recoiled, “Sunset... honey I’m right here, we’re all right here...”

Sunset let out a screech, making everyone flinch and cover their ears. They turned back to Sunset again and watching in horror as more veins grew on Sunset’s arms. Now they were about halfway through forearm.

Finally, Sunset’s screams of agony had stopped, her breath becoming more steady with each passing second. When she finally caught her breath, Sunset opened her eyes and began to weep.

“Oh Sunset,” Twilight said, holding the girl in her arms, “It’s okay. I’ve got you. It’s okay... it’s over...”

The rest of the group watched the pair. Rarity seemed to be trying not to have a panic attack, her memory wandering back to earlier this morning at the library.

Pinkie Pie’s hair was flattened once more, something that she was beginning to get used to. Fluttershy was with her, tears streaming down her face as she was comforted by her pink friend.

Applejack was frozen in place. She tried to keep her breathing steady as she noted how much more the black veins had grown since this morning.

Rainbow Dash was also frozen in a place, not able to keep her eyes off of the girl’s arms, as much as she wanted to look away, she just couldn’t.

Twilight offered Sunset the glass of water, which she took, “How are you feeling?”

Sunset handed back Twilight the water and shook her head. She sniffled, not wanting to look at Twilight, “I... I hurt you...”

Twilight blinked at her. She glanced at her own hand. It wasn’t her fault that she burned her, it’s never happened before... so why now? Why did she get burned when she touched her? “Sunset...”

Sunset shook her head, recoiling away from Twilight, “I hurt you...”

Twilight took a deep breath and slowly shook her head, “That wasn’t your fault—“ She reached out to Sunset, wanting to comfort her, but the fiery haired girl flinched away from her, shielding herself from her.

Twilight sighed, trying to figure out what happened during the episode. She didn’t want Sunset remembering the pain she was in, but she had to know what was going on. Or else she’ll have no idea how to help her.

Twilight pulled back her arms, letting them hang down in defeat, “Sunset. Yes, I may have gotten a little burned—” Sunset whimpered at the statement, “But that wasn’t your fault. You cannot control what’s happening to you. I don’t blame you for that Sunset. I want to help you. I don’t want to see you in any more pain. But in order to do that, I need you to tell me what’s going on.”

Sunset whimpered, putting her arms around Twilight, “Everything was hurting. Especially my arms and legs...”

Twilight held her tighter, “Can... can you tell me how you were feeling when...” Twilight trailed off, not knowing what to call that episode.

Sunset began to pant, “My head... my head was hurting a l-lot. And I felt like there was fire on me. And I felt like I couldn’t breathe... everything hurt... and... and—“ she began to whimper, tears streaming down her still soaked face.

Sunset chocked back tears, “I... I thought I was back with... mother and father...”

Twilight was taken aback by her response. She was hallucinating? Her fever was so high that she began hallucinating? That’s a trait in high fevers. “Sunset... is that... the first time... that happened?”

Sunset shrunk inwards, nodding her head in shame.

Twilight’s eyes widened. This is not a disease, unless it’s a really rare one... this is something else... if there magic involved, it must come from a an extremely high ranked unicorn or wizard. Twilight sighed and held Subset tight, “Sunset... I’m so sorry. You—”

“I’m s-sorry...” Sunset whimpered.

“It’s okay,” Twilight said, slowly running her hand through Sunset’s hair, “You have nothing to be sorry for. We’re going home soon. I promise. After tomorrow, you’ll be home. We just need Princess Celestia to reply and then we’ll go home. And I promise you’ll get better. Okay?”

Rarity turned her face away from the two Equestrians and noticed her younger sister by the living room entrance. She seemed frozen in shock, not knowing what she just witnessed.

“Sweetie Belle,” Rarity beckoned. Her sister came forward and leaned close to her, “Why don’t you take Sunset up to your room. Er... maybe watch a movie or do something while we... talk? Just distract her, I don’t think she realizes that it’s dark. She happens to be afraid of the dark so just keep her mind off of it and... everything else. Alright?”

Sweetie Belle nodded. She slowly walked over to Sunset, “Hey... would you like to go to my room? We could draw if you want.”

Sunset tensed up, she slowly looked up at the middle schooler. No, she did not want to draw or go to her room. Right now she did not want to leave Twilight. She scooted closer to Twilight, never taking her eyes off of Sweetie Belle.

“Sunset, why don’t you go?” Twilight told Sunset, giving her an encouraging smile, “Sweetie Belle won’t hurt you honey. She just wants to be your friend that’s all. Right Sweetie Belle?”

Sunset seemed to perk up at the mention of the word ‘friend’.

Sweetie Belle nodded, “Of course! I wanna be your friend Sunset!” She stepped a little closer to Sunset and extended her hand, “C’mon, let me show you my room!”

This time, Sunset hesitantly accepted the middle schooler’s hand.

Sweetie Belle smiled, “I’ll show you the way!”

Twilight smiled as Sunset let Sweetie Belle slowly lead her away from the living room. Once they were gone, Twilight opened up Sunset’s journal, hoping that her faithful assistant has some news on Princess Celestia.

She disappointingly didn’t find any new messages. Taking a pen, she began to write again.

“Whatcha doing there Twilight?” Applejack asked her.

Pinkie moved over next to Twilight, “Any news about the Princess?”

Twilight shook her head, “I’m going to message Spike again. I’m not sure why she hasn’t written back yet...” Twilight shut the book and looked up at her friends when she finished writing.

Rainbow furrowed her brows, “Does she usually take this long to write back?”

Twilight shook her head, “No. she usually writes back right away—“

The brown journal in her hands began to vibrate and glow.

“Oooo!” Pinkie’s eyes were wide in awe at the glowing book.

Twilight quickly opened the book.

Twilight,
I sent out the letter when you asked me to, but the princess still hasn’t written back. I know that’s she’s received them, but she hasn’t told me anything about why she’s not replying to the letters. Don’t worry Twilight, I let you know right away when she sends a letter back.
Spike

Author's Note:

Do you all like shorter chapters or longer ones? The latest chapters I’ve written have been under 2,000 words. Do you all prefer short chapters or one long one about 2,500 words?