• Published 15th May 2021
  • 1,474 Views, 42 Comments

The Chains of Command - Kaipony



Fizzlepop could not be more pleased at becoming the newest instructor at the School of Friendship. If only she had known that was not going to be all dodgeball games and wilderness treks with her classes.

  • ...
1
 42
 1,474

On Mission

The afternoon sky was clear, but the brightness belied the sharp autumn nip carried on the slight breeze. Far off on the horizon, clouds hung over the Everfree Forest. Overhead, a wedge formation of birds strove southward, periodically calling out to one another. Even the grass had relinquished its former soft emerald, having faded into a delicate shade of wheat that crunched underhoof.

Beneath a tree, the only tree on a small rise just outside the school grounds, sat a single unicorn mare. The leaves on this tree had long since shed their verdant greens and adopted a vibrant assortment of reds, yellows, oranges, and browns. Even the bark of the trunk felt rougher and coarser. Fizzlepop sat with her back against the tree and thought about the bark's rugged texture that scratched at her coat. It was armor, protection against the elements, and whatever would seek to do it harm. A shield stopping everything on the outside from getting to its heartwood.

Fizzlepop sighed and reached for her rugged, worn saddlebag leaning against the tree trunk, its fabric the color of a fresh bruise. She pulled from it a small bag and carefully undid the twine that kept it closed, spreading a few pieces of fruit, a canteen of water, and a purple pansy sandwich with lettuce out in front of her. She drank from the canteen and nibbled on a pear, letting her eyes unfocus and consider something intangible beyond the hills and horizon as she chewed.

Her ears swiveled as her somber reverie was abruptly interrupted by the sound of approaching voices. Familiar voices. Fizzlepop continued eating her pear while her ears tracked their movement and picked up the looming sounds of hooves and claws on the brittle grass. They were drawing nearer on the other side of the tree, and Fizzlepop made no effort to alert the six distinct voices she heard as they approached the low rise.

"My beak feels sore. Can you even get a sore beak from exercise?" a tired feminine voice said, one who Fizzlepop usually knew to be energetic and peppy.

"As much as you talk sometimes," a slightly snarky male voice responded, "I'm wondering why you haven't had one in the past."

"Gallus, be nice to Silverstream," a rougher female voice chided. "Yona's back sore from holding up friends. Don't need sore ears from listening to complaints, too."

The voices and steps halted on the other side of the tree. Fizzlepop kept silent and continued to listen as a second, smoother male voice added its thoughts to the conversation.

"It's just an obstacle course," the voice said. "Miss Fizzle told us we'd all need to work together and that everyone had to cross the finish line to complete the course. We just have to work to do better next time."

"Well said, Sandbar," Fizzlepop finally said, eliciting a series of surprised yelps from the group of newcomers. She offered a welcoming smile to the six friends that rounded the trunk to greet her.

"Good afternoon, Miss Fizzle," Ocellus chirped.

"Good afternoon, students." Fizzlepop set her lunch aside as Yona gave her a confused look.

"Why professor eat alone?" Yona asked.

"Yeah," Smolder added. "Cafeteria’s plenty big and fancy from what I recall for you guys, isn’t it?"

"I hear you have a full ice cream buffet with every kind of topping imaginable," Silverstream gushed, squeezing her face between her paws. "I love ice cream!."

Fizzlepop suppressed a groan at the thought of ice cream and scratched at the back of her mane. "I... prefer the quiet when I eat. The staff lunchroom is far too cramped." She laid down and folded her front hooves. "And, if you recall some of our previous lessons," Fizzlepop declared, "I like being outside."

Smolder snapped her talons and shook her head. "I don't believe that for a second, coach." The dragon folded her arms across her chest.

"Oh! I know," Silverstream announced excitedly. "It's because some of us students and staff are still scared of you." She glanced at her friends for concurrence.

"Silverstream!" Ocellus cried. She moved to sit near the unicorn, her surprised face mimicking that of Sandbar and Yona. "We're not, Miss Fizzle. Scared of you, that is."

"It's okay," Fizzlepop said, reassuring Ocellus and the others.

"No, not 'us' us," Silverstream hurriedly corrected. "I mean some of the parents.” She tapped her beak, a thoughtful look crossing her face. “And new students... and teachers..." She stopped when she noticed the look everyone was giving her, blushing and squeaking out a small, “Sorry!”

"Yeah," Gallus added. "I bet they're still not quite over the whole invasion of Canterlot and enslavement of other races under the Storm King's banner thing."

Fizzlepop's ears sagged, and she fought to keep her chin from drifting downward. "Yes." She coughed politely. "That. And, you could say that I'm not exactly the easiest pony to approach."

The six students all looked at the ground and held their tongues for a few moments. Then, Gallus nudged Sandbar. "Ask her."

With a sidelong glance, Sandbar cleared his throat. "We, um, also heard that you were arguing with Mr. Grubber the other day too."

"And vaporized a hoofball," Smolder added, to the shocked and alarmed glares of her friends. “What? She did!”

Fizzlepop could not entirely suppress the growl that escaped her lips, and she looked away. She hid the scowl fighting against her calm demeanor, and it took too many heartbeats to steel her emotions and turn to face the students again.

"Is everything okay, Miss Fizzle?" Sandbar asked.

Fizzlepop did not immediately answer. She stalled, taking a bite of her sandwich. The students did not, as she had hoped, lose their interest. Swallowing, Fizzlepop sighed and took a drink from her canteen. And still, they remained.

"My altercation with Mr. Grubber and the incident with the hoofball are separate issues," she finally answered. "There are some things I'm good at when it comes to providing instruction, but..." Fizzlepop frowned at the thought of her actions that day. "I seem to be consistently failing in other areas." She shook her head and attempted to smile. "My apologies, children. I shouldn't be setting any this on your shoulders."

"When I need to unwind, it's always helped to have friends who are willing to listen," Silverstream said, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. "If I didn't have someone to listen to me when I needed to talk, I'd just end up keeping everything locked up inside and going crazy."

"And Counselor Starlight says that's never the solution," Ocellus added. She looked around at each of her friends. "I think we've all had times when we just want to forget about what's bothering us, but if we do that, then there's no way we could fix whatever it is that's wrong."

Fizzlepop nodded, the corners of her mouth turning up very slightly as she imagined Ocellus's words in Starlight's voice. "Good advice, to be sure. I suppose you could say that I'm frustrated with the way certain individuals are behaving. That, and I'm doubting my ability to deal with these individuals."

"So, what teacher's plan?" Yona asked immediately. Every head turned to regard the yak.

"Excuse me?" Fizzlepop said.

"Teacher Fizzle's plan. Teacher has a problem, so teacher needs plan."

"That's right," Sandbar added, backing up Yona's assertion. "Since day one, you've drilled into the class that we all need a plan before you tackle a big problem. You know, a plan A, B, and C. That's what you're always telling us. Whenever you're trying to deal with an issue, you have a plan, backup plan, and a backup to the backup." He hoofbumped Yona.

"So, what's your plan?" Gallus asked.

"Stay away from everyone so I don't make them nervous and worried?" Fizzlepop said with a casual flick of her hoof. She surveyed the unamused expressions evident on every student's face. "How about I stop trying to do more, like socializing, and just go back to what worked when I was just a substitute teacher?"

"Tsk," Smolder scolded. "Those are terrible plans."

"Yeah," Gallus added. "Besides, that only counts as one plan."

"I’m glad our lessons have made an impression on you, but this situation is different."

"How is lesson different?" Yona asked, genuinely perplexed. "Yona see no difference."

"It turns out that problems with ponies and other creatures can't simply be attacked head-on. Or so I'm constantly reminded. It takes time. It takes different approaches. I was never trained for this sort of situation." Fizzlepop slapped a hoof against the brittle grass, spraying a few khaki blades across her lunch. “You come at something head-on, and if you encounter a wall, you knock it down. And it's really frustrating. Why can't others just get over their issues and work with me?"

"That's not how friendship works," Ocellus said plainly. "Like you said, it takes time and effort, but there's also an investment. You have to be invested in others, and they, in return, have to want to be invested in you."

"You have to pay attention and compromise," Sandbar continued for his friend. "It's a two-way road. Both you and they have to meet each other somewhere in the middle." He shrugged. "And if they don't try, it's really up to you to decide if you want their friendship, or at least their acceptance, enough to do the work for both of you."

"Yona never taught how to be good friend. Just learned to be one from good friends." The yak struck a proud pose. "Professor Rarity calls it on-the-job training."

The pose, which Fizzlepop found to be very reminiscent of those she had seen Rarity strike during her many moments of something the fashionista called "fabulosity," and she laughed aloud. "I thought you all were supposed to be the students here, not me."

Gallus smirked and inspected his talons. "Well, we wouldn't be getting this whole friendship student thing right if we hadn't learned something."

"Some of us are better eggheads than others," Smolder quipped, nudging Gallus with her elbow. The griffin nudged her back, and the two tousled for a moment in a good-natured shoving match before laughing.

"Heh," Fizzlepop chuckled. "Thank you all." She repacked the remains of her lunch, stood, and strapped on the saddlebag. "You six go on and enjoy the rest of your lunch break before your next class." She started down the short hill toward the school.

"Where are you going?" Ocellus called out.

“To finish up some work.” Fizzlepop stopped and looked back over her shoulder. The six friends watched her with looks of mild concern and no small amount of hope. "And then I think I’ll have a cup of tea." She paused and offered the students a warm and genuine smile. "From the staff lunchroom. I will see you all in class tomorrow."

~~*~~

By the late afternoon, the faculty cafeteria and lounge were beginning to fill up as teachers and staff shuffled in and sat at the tables and couches with cups of tea and tales of the day's work. The conversations were lively and the air hummed with pleasant tones. Then, Fizzlepop walked through the door. The occupants of several tables eyed her arrival with anxious hesitation, quieting into hushed murmurs.

Fizzlepop sighed and fought against the scowl that was threatening to bubble to the surface. She ducked her head, avoiding eye contact, and headed straight for the long, low counter that held everything needed to make teas, coffees, and cocoas. Fizzlepop sniffed the lukewarm pot of coffee sitting at the far end and grimaced at the stale, bitter smell. She prepared a strong cup of earl grey for herself instead. Scanning the room for available tables, she found one with a single, familiar occupant. All of the others were occupied by small clusters. The table’s resident looked up at her as she approached.

"Hello, Fizzlepop," Trixie said dismissively. "If you're looking for Starlight, she's busy being a counselor again." She sighed and pouted. "The fragility of these students is beginning to rob Starlight of her chances to spend her free time with her best friend."

"Hello, Trixie. May I join you?" Trixie's eyebrows shot up, and she froze with a stalk of celery, laden with peanut butter and raisins, halfway to her mouth. She recovered quickly and gestured to an empty chair. Fizzlepop sat one seat away and looked into her tea for a moment. She cleared her throat. "H-How are you doing today?"

"Trixie is perfect as always, but thankful for her decision to bring her own snack today." She indicated the spread of peanut butter, raisins, crackers, and celery in front of her. Then she whispered, "If you want some advice, avoid the three-bean salad they brought in from the student cafeteria." Her voice dropped into a harsh whisper. "I think I saw a yak hair on one of the plates."

"Noted." Fizzlepop sipped at her tea in silence while Trixie took note of the cafeteria's newly subdued atmosphere.

"Trixie wonders if you've ever tried just talking to them."

"Of course I have."

"Starlight has said many, many times that an apology, or simply talking, can go a long way when trying to get others to hate you less." She twirled a fresh celery stalk in her magic. "Trixie still has reservations, but it does seem to help."

"Fine advice, I think," Frizzlepop grumbled. "But my track record with apologies and strangers is severely lacking."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Watch." Fizzlepop pushed her mug of tea aside and climbed on top of her chair. She cleared her throat, and every creature in the room fell silent, their attention entirely on the unicorn now. "Excuse me, everyone," she began. "This will only take a moment."

Simultaneously, every new staff and faculty member dropped to the floor. Bags of bits slid across the floor and bumped up against the legs of Fizzlepop's chair. A few of the older faculty that had not shown any concern over Fizzlepop’s arrival slowly edged away from the scene, small grins on their faces as though sharing in a private joke, while a chorus of voices called out from under the tables.

"This is it. The coup is starting!"

"I don't want to be turned into a black crystal!"

"That's all the lunch money I have. I'll bring more tomorrow, I swear!"

Fizzlepop glanced down at Trixie with a weary sigh. "See?"

The showmare chuckled. "Trixie is impressed," she said, eyeing the bags of bits. "She requests that you show her how you did that so she can use it in her next performance."

Sparks blossomed from Fizzlepop's horn like an angry firework display, and all movement and cries for mercy ceased. Trixie grumbled something about lighting display trademark infringement but was drowned out by Fizzlepop's raised voice.

"Perhaps I could have announced myself differently," she said to the cowering ponies. "I promise, no one is going to be turned into a crystal, and there is not going to be a coup. Unless the Princesses become tyrannical despots that require removal for the sake of all of Equestria." Somewhere outside, a rather loud cricket chirped. "That was supposed to be a joke," Fizzlepop added quickly.

When no one laughed, she shook her head. "Nevermind. It seems you all remember I used to be Tempest Shadow, Commander of the Storm Legions. I'd like to reintroduce myself as who I am: Fizzlepop Berrytwist, a fellow teacher. I came here to the School of Friendship a year ago as a substitute while Headmare Twilight Sparkle and her friends attended an important task. When the school needed a fitness instructor, I was invited to return. During that time, I made some of your acquaintances, but I also made a few mistakes. Very big mistakes."

"I'll say," Trixie mumbled around a mouthful of crackers.

"Shut up, Trixie," Fizzlepop growled. She softened her expression and readdressed the crowd. "Perhaps my biggest mistake was assuming that everyone would simply learn to eventually accept me despite my past. I thought that my actions alone would be enough, but I never did take the time to use my words as well. So, first of all, I want to apologize. For all the pain and suffering I've caused, I'm truly sorry."

Those who had taken refuge under the tables poked their heads out, wearing expressions of wary curiosity instead of alarm. Fizzlepop took the opportunity to step down and kick the bags of bits that rested nearby back to their owners.

"I abandoned friendship when I was still a foal because I thought that friendship had abandoned me. I surrounded myself with what I believed was strength and power.” She paused for a heartbeat. “But ultimately I was only deluding myself." Fizzlepop hesitated and swallowed hard. "I’m having to relearn a lot about fitting in with normal society, but I am trying. You don't have to be afraid of me. The pony that brought strife to Canterlot is gone, but her memory remains. That's a memory that I hope, one day, I can replace. And in place of Tempest will just be me, Fizzlepop." She took a deep breath and offered the room a small, lopsided smile.

There was no applause or heartwarming musical notes to mark the close of Fizzlepop's speech. She waited, and was rewarded with a few pensive glances sprinkled in amongst the bewildered, whispered conversations that started back up.

"Give them time," Trixie remarked. "Starlight says that reputations take time to establish." She grinned knowingly. "Or to reverse."

"No one is scrambling to leave the room anymore or begging for mercy. That's a win, I guess," Fizzlepop said wryly. "I suppose patience is a virtue I could practice more often. Which reminds me. I have a question for you." She took a seat across from Trixie and leveled a quizzical gaze at her. "I see you eating in here all the time. What exactly do you do at the School?"

"Trixie provides a much-needed dose of pizzaz and flair, of course." When Fizzlepop's gaze did not waver, Trixie snorted. "How do you think ponies who listen to the problems of everyone else cope with all that chatter? Even Starlight needs someone to vent to now and again. She also needs help sometimes when she gets overwhelmed." Trixie gave the other mare a magnanimous nod of her head. "Trixie could even see if she could fit you into her busy schedule, if you ever need advice from a great and powerful, um...are we friends?"

Fizzlepop gave Trixie a small, hesitant grin. "I suppose we could give it a shot. Just don't pull that great and powerful stuff on me." Her face lit up suddenly. "There was one other thing I needed to talk to you about."

Pushing her food to the side, Trixie folded her hooves on the tabletop and smirked. "Trixie supposes that if we're going to try to be friends, then snacks can wait a little longer."

"I want to get Starlight something for Hearth's Warming. Something to say thank you for all her time and effort." Her gaze softened as though looking back upon a treasured memory." I don't think I would have survived the past year here without her advice and friendship. She and I don't often talk about her interests, which I need to work on. I was hoping you might have an idea."

"Well," Trixie mused, "as her GMPBFF—"

"Her what?" Fizzlepop interrupted with puzzled amusement.

Trixie rolled her eyes. "Her Greatest and Most Powerful Best Friend Forever, of course." She popped another peanut butter-laden stick of celery into her mouth and chewed thoughtfully. "As Starlight's best friend, you've come to the right mare." She levitated a glass of water to her lips and took a long sip. "So, Fizzlepop," Trixie began with a knowing grin, "how much do you know about kites?"