• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 1,899 Views, 687 Comments

Rainbow Dash's Unstoppable Ego - MagicS



Bored at the recent lack of adventure in her life, Rainbow Dash goes flying off to find some.

  • ...
6
 687
 1,899

PreviousChapters Next
Awakening to Disappointment

Eyes slowly fluttered open to see a bright light and white ceiling above them. Her body lied in a bed with a sheet covering most of her and a curtain for privacy walling her off from most of the rest of the world.

“So I lost, huh?” Rainbow Dash said as she woke.

“I’m afraid so, yes,” a voice from beside her said.

She glanced her head to the side where she saw Ark’Nogt sitting there on a stool. “How long have I been out?”

“A couple of days. The final match is starting soon as a matter of fact,” he told her.

“Sia’Lorna?”

“She’s in it of course, facing off against Wandering Claw the wolverine.”

Rainbow Dash sighed and sunk her head back into the pillow, just staring up at the ceiling again. “Good for them, I guess. How long have you been watching over me?”

“Well I was there when the nurses first took you away and I’ve been checking up on you since. But I’m only here for your waking on account of a doctor notifying me you’d be waking up soon.”

“Still, thanks.”

“It’s simply my duty,” Ark’Nogt happily replied.

Rainbow Dash lied there for a minute longer, her mind practically empty as she just didn’t know what to think about. She remembered the fight and she remembered how confident she had been. And also how happy she had been to think she was going to get the perfect cap to her journey. Now that had all fallen apart and she just felt so… so… done. She had made it to the top of the world after going through so much else only to be disappointed in herself. Unsatisfied. Embarrassed. This wasn’t how it was supposed to go at all. She was going to win this tournament and then probably go home and tell all her friends what an amazing adventure she had just gone on. But that just felt ruined for her now. It wouldn’t be right, she’d feel way too unhappy with herself.

She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, opening them back up. “I want to watch the fight.”

Ark’Nogt smiled. “I figured you would. And no need to worry about your head or anything, the nurses told me you’re fine once you wake up.”

“I’d go even if I wasn’t...” Rainbow Dash grumbled as she threw the covers off herself and hopped out of bed. She raised an eyebrow at Ark’Nogt. “You said it was starting soon?”

He nodded. “An hour at most. We have plenty of time to get there, my wife is already at the stadium.”

Rainbow Dash sighed. “At least I get to meet her then.” She walked up to the curtain and threw it open too while Ark’Nogt hopped off his stool. “I’m ready to go if you are.”


Mera’Nogt was, unsurprisingly, a very positive and social Reindeer who immediately wrapped Rainbow Dash in a hug when they met.

“My husband has told me much about you and your fights were a wonder to watch! It’s a true pleasure to meet you!” She said to Rainbow Dash.

“Heh, thanks,” Rainbow Dash tried to appear normal and smiled but she felt a wince inside when her fights were brought up. The fresh loss was going to bother her for a while.

Ark’Nogt was a bit more in tune with Rainbow Dash’s feelings and ushered them along to their seats. “Come, come, let us sit down first and then maybe we can talk more.”

They had met Mera’Nogt at the stadium and the three of them were now walking through the stands together. Rainbow Dash noticed a lot of the other Reindeer here watching her. Which was really no surprise after the fights she had had, they obviously recognized her. Like this though it didn’t feel good to be the center of attention. Instead it just kind of made her feel worse. She should’ve been standing in the middle of that ring listening to their cheers and then celebrating her grand victory. Now she was just some other competitor who had lost, even if her fights were good.

Despite asking to come here she wasn’t even really sure if she wanted to watch the fight, or how much she would pay attention to it. She supposed she still wanted Sia’Lorna to win. She supposed that it would at least be nice if the one who beat her won the whole thing. But mostly she just still felt empty.

The three of them sat down together and Mera’Nogt started asking Rainbow Dash all sorts of questions. Which normally she would love but now she was just on autopilot as she answered. It went that way until Sia’Lorna and Wandering Claw finally came out and stepped into the ring. Rainbow Dash practically froze up as she watched the two of them, neither one was probably giving her a second thought at all. Would it be a close fight? All she knew was how much they were focusing on each other, totally unknowing that Rainbow Dash was watching them right now.

It should be me down there right now. Rainbow Dash frowned.

“Do you think Sia’Lorna will win?” Mera’Nogt suddenly asked her.

Rainbow Dash still just stoically looked at the ring while she answered. “I haven’t fought Wandering Claw but yeah, I think she will.”

Everything else was basically a blur as the fight started soon after.

Even though it was a good fight, and she should be invested in it more, Rainbow Dash found herself having almost no reaction to it. Wandering Claw’s wild and full-body way of fighting was intense and Rainbow Dash would’ve loved facing off against it too. She would’ve loved facing Sia’Lorna a second time in that ring. But she didn’t get to do any of that. All she got to do was watch.

And it was lame. Lame even when Sia’Lorna won and Rainbow Dash mechanically clapped her hooves together along with everyone else. Lame when Mera’Nogt and Ark’Nogt both cheered for Sia’Lorna and asked Dash what she thought about the fight. Lame when she gave hollow, cliché answers.

Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame. This isn’t how her adventure was supposed to end.

“Do you want to go speak with Sia’Lorna and congratulate her?” Ark’Nogt asked. “I will certainly understand if you say no, but I believe Sia’Lorna will enjoy seeing you.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “It’s fine, I want to say hi to her too and everything...”

Ark’Nogt kissed his wife goodbye and she said farewell to Rainbow Dash too. While the rest of the Reindeer in the stadium were filing out after Tiza’Nogt presented Sia’Lorna with the medal, Ark’Nogt and Dash were going back into the underbelly of the stadium. Sia’Lorna and Wandering Claw were both going to be down there getting a check up from the nurses, Wandering Claw hadn’t been knocked out like Rainbow Dash had. There were plenty of officiators down here who waved at and greeted Rainbow Dash and she could only hollowly grin and wave back.

When they made it to the basement stadium the two went right over to the nurse’s station and Rainbow Dash came across the two finalists, including the victor, sprawled out on their own beds and being treated for the injuries they incurred. Wandering Claw was grumpier than normal and trying to shoo away any nurses that came near while Sia’Lorna was calmly lying in bed. Despite winning, she didn’t seem especially exuberant. Maybe because she had already won so many times or because she didn’t get to face Rainbow Dash in the finals. Whatever the reason, she simply looked “satisfied”.

She perked up a bit when she saw Rainbow Dash though. “Rainbow Dash, you’re awake! Did you watch the fight.”

Rainbow Dash kept the false grin on as well as she could. “Sure did! Nice job.” She grimaced a little awkwardly as she looked over at Wandering Claw. “Er, sorry dude, but it was close!”

Wandering Claw snorted and turned over on his bed, facing away from the rest of them.

“I’m glad you were able to come, since I didn’t get to say anything to you after our match ended...” Sia’Lorna smiled to her.

“Yeah… I mean, not gonna lie, I’m disappointed with myself for losing. It really sucks and it’s totally lame, but I’m still happy for you,” Rainbow shrugged.

“I know, but it was only right to go all out. If it makes you feel better I think you’d beat anyone if you were allowed to fly,” Sia’Lorna said.

“It doesn’t really. I was really trying to prove something, but thanks anyways.”

Ark’Nogt seemed to notice something had changed again with Rainbow Dash’s attitude and he glanced over to her in concern. “Is there something the matter, Miss Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash blinked a few times as she looked between him and Sia’Lorna. “Uhh… I guess I wouldn’t really put it like that but...” She took a breath as she lifted up a hoof to lazily rub the top of her head. “I just decided right now that I’m gonna be leaving. I’m gonna head home.”

The area grew quiet as even the nurses could tell that something was amiss between these friends.

Rainbow Dash looked away, past the wall of the stadium, staring off into nothing. “I’ll go tomorrow.”

PreviousChapters Next