• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 5,265 Views, 525 Comments

Star Trek: A Knights Gambit - Sparky Brony



The Enterprise is off on another adventure...but this time, sentient quadrupeds?

  • ...
17
 525
 5,265

Chapter 6.

The Captain of a starship has many pressures set upon him or her. Being the final arbiter of everything that goes on aboard the starship, the Captain’s time is usually filled with endless tasks and decisions that more junior officers kick up to the Captain so as to not be acting outside of their authority. As such, time spent in the ready room, when not occupied by computer work and other administrative tasks endemic to being captain that cannot be offloaded to a loyal yeoman, is a rare treat. Captain Picard sits comfortably in his chair as he sips on his tea and sighs as he leans back.

“Captain Picard.” Worf’s voice comes over the com system.

Mentally suppressing the urge to sigh, Picard glances at the chronometer, eight blissful minutes. He looks up a bit, projecting his voice to be more easily heard by the computer. “Yes, Mr. Worf?”

“Communication from the Galaxy, Captain Sershek wishes to speak with you, and he says it’s quite urgent.”

That gets Picard’s eyebrows to rise. A Vulcan saying something is quite urgent. He nods. “Patch him through, please.”

The changeover is instantaneous as Captain of the USS Galaxy appears on his desk screen. “Captain Picard.”

Picard fights the urge to laugh at the disheveled look of the other officer. Sershek’s normally immaculate hair is in disarray, and the look on his face could almost be called panicked. Though his voice is fairly even as he speaks. “Captain Picard, as a Vulcan serving in Starfleet. I have been trained to be accepting of other cultures. I have dealt with the arrogance of Andorians, the stubborn pride of Tellorites, I have endured species as driven by emotions as Klingons, but these ponies defy any form of logic.”

Picard savagely suppresses the urge to smile. “Yes, they are almost human in nature, aren’t they?”

Picard again fights to keep his composure as the other captain presses on the bridge of his nose as though he’s trying to suppress a massive headache. Sersheck sighs and looks back up at Picard. “Captain Picard, are you cognizant of what this colonization will entail? The chaos we will be unleashing among the galaxy?”

“Chaos, Captain? In my conversations with the rulers of Equestria, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, chaos is the opposite of the nature of the ponies. In fact, they’ve rarely had any internal wars, and have never instigated wars with their neighboring kingdoms. Though being the arbiter of night and day for the whole world would have a chilling effect on any potential aggressors. Though I’ve communicated with the leaders of the Griffon Kingdom and Saddle Arabia, and they all hold the Princesses in high regard. I hardly see the ponies as agents of chaos.”

“Be that as it may, Captain. We have transported six thousand four hundred fifty seven ponies aboard our ship over the last six hours. In that six hours, we have had a unicorn randomly teleport onto the bridge. A group of ponies have started a song and dance number that involved nearly a third of our crew. A female unicorn child somehow snuck into main engineering and was discovered with her magical aura around our main reactor. She claimed that the crystal inside was misaligned, and the wrong shape. So she went about reforming the dilithium crystal in its cradle, in an active reactor. Then when she was done, her flank glowed brightly and she got one of those marks there, a wave somewhat like a warp frequency wave with a multifaceted crystal over it. She implied it was her special talent, even though she doesn’t fully understand it yet.”

“And, how has your reactor performed since then?”

“My chief engineer took it immediately offline and is currently inspecting the crystal for flaws. You know how dangerous the antimatter reaction can be.”

Picard leans back, taking another sip of his tea. “Captain Sershek, I understand your misgivings about the ponies. But cutie marks have been explained to me. And my crew has been learning of some of the ponies special abilities, they have been known to do some very intricate and specialized work going solely off of instinct. The fact that your reactor had to be taken offline rather than detecting a problem and going offline on its own tells me that the ponies, at times, have an intuitive sense, if you will, of how things work. Twilight Sparkle herself has astounded me with her grasping knowledge that would be decades, if not centuries, ahead of their knowledge base.”

That gets an uncharacteristic sigh from the Vulcan. “That was just the tip of the iceberg, as you humans say. Another child, this one a colt, got into one of the monitoring rooms for the starboard core of the main computer. Then he proceeded to reconfigure the subspace field around the core. And then when we tested the system after he was sent to his herd, the computer was operating nearly thirty percent faster. But it now randomly breaks into song, complete with musical accompaniment. This is intolerable.”

Picard nods. “I understand. I will inform Princess Celestia to let the migrating ponies know that they need to follow the rules of the starship before they are brought aboard. Perhaps you would send a few crew members down to the beaming sites to inform the ponies of your rules?”

Sershek blinks a few times. “That is an excellent idea, Captain Picard. Provided that we can get our reactor going in time, we should be departing in five hours time. The one way trip is estimated to be twelve days. The Galaxy will do its duty and return for more ponies.”

“Have the dragons been beamed aboard?”

Sershek nods. “We have the entire clutch of recently hatched dragons. As well as some of the smaller adults along with two of the larger ones. How big can dragons get?”

“According to the ponies here, truly enormous, to where they wouldn’t fit onboard our ships without some serious refitting.”

“It would be labor intensive, but roughly a third of the internal volume of the ship is open space, as you well know for our class of starship. Perhaps we can make that space minimally habitable while we are underway, and can take some of our larger guests aboard there.”

Picard nods. “Make it so. And I will see you in roughly twenty-eight days.”

Sershek nods before his face disappears.


***

Twilight Sparkle blinks slowly at Dr. Crusher. “Not outlive my friends? What do you mean?”

Dr. Crusher turns to her computer terminal, tapping a few keys the display of Twilight’s magical aura floats out from the display and takes on a three dimensional aspect. “I don’t have a full accounting of everything to do with your magic, but I can see energy signatures. As I told you, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash have been scanned with this new setup. But I can see their unique signatures, their magical fingerprint if you will, intertwined with yours. Look at this.”

The doctor taps several keys, keeping an eye on the holographic display. Twilight’s own aura shifts over to the side, and several other imprints bring themselves to the forefront. Dr. Crusher turns back to Twilight. “From what I can see, this is an ongoing connection you have with your friends. I can see five other signatures in addition to yours. And in their scans.” A few key taps has the entire holographic display shrinking and moving to the side as another signature shows up. This one is obviously a pegasus. “I can see that your own signature is intertwined with theirs.” She moves away from the computer console, picking up her medical tricorder again before running the handheld sensor over Twilight’s horn. She leans down and looks seriously into Twilight’s eyes. “You are somehow connected to them, and I’m trying to figure out the nature of this connection.”

Twilight eyes the sensor as it’s passed over her again, her ears twitching at the faint sounds the device makes as it scans her. Crusher can see the pony is lost in thought. Finally, Twilight brightens. “The elements.” Then her face falls. “But they were destroyed. How?” Her eyes dart back and forth, trying to work through the conundrum. Then she smiles. “Now I know why. Whenever one of my friends gets close, I can feel them even without using my magic. How I can feel what they are feeling when their emotions are strong.” She turns to look at the display. “The elements, when they hit me, sending me to that place, where I became an alicorn.” She narrows her eyes. “I felt something, before the magic changed me and gave me these wings.” She extends one a bit. “I could feel their terror, their panic, as the elements were pouring all that power into me. I knew they weren’t doing it on purpose, that this was something beyond mere ponies, but elemental, a connection started there.” She smiles brightly. “They established a connection with my friends, and it’s endured even through the destruction of the elements themselves.”

“I’m sorry, what elements?”

Twilight blinks. “Oh, yeah, you don’t know about the Elements of Harmony.” She sighs, “Now that is a story. Well, the quick rundown would be, there were six elements from the Tree of Harmony. It was formed over a millennium ago when Starswirl the Bearded and his companions imbued the fledgling tree with the aspects of each of them. Loyalty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Magic. When they disappeared, the tree grew, its magic allowing it to tame the Everfree Forest. And then, to defeat Discord, the Princesses removed them from the tree, using their power to turn him to stone for a thousand years. Princess Celestia held the stones until Luna returned as Nightmare Moon, where I and my friends first used them against her, and reformed her, removing the darkness that made her Nightmare Moon. And boy, we’ve had some other adventures with them. But when I was able to figure out Starswirl’s unfinished spell, that’s when they made that connection between us. Things changed a lot that day.”

Dr. Crusher pats the alicorn gently on the withers. “Well, that helped me understand a lot more about you and your friends.” She looks at the display then back at Twilight. “Any other ponies have something like that happen to them?”

That gets a bark of a laugh from Twilight. “Oh, no. The Elements were unique. The only others to wield them were the Princesses. And their connection goes way back.”

Crusher puts the hand scanner back into the tricorder. “Well, that’s all the scanning I need to do for you. Do you have any questions for me?”

Twilight looks at the scan information as the computer digests everything, the diagram of her becoming clearer and more detailed as the computer adds the new information to the display. She looks at the Doctor. “No, but I’ve got to say, your computer system is just…amazing.”

“Yes, it has so many uses. It’s a wonderful tool for me, and for everyone on board.”

Twilight grins. “Well, I’ve got a lot of work to do.”


***

Princess Celestia walks slowly through the palace. Among her many duties as ruler of Equestria, her time at her school is easily her favorite. Working with young minds, helping bring these young ponies to the peak of their magical abilities. And while the school is said to be for unicorns, that’s not exactly exclusive. At this point, there are two pegasi who’ve shown exceptional magical abilities, and one of the rarest of the rare, an earth pony that also has magic. That little colt is going far in her estimation. He will be among the ponies last to be sent off on one of the starships that has been dispatched to help with this crisis.

As things are, the first ponies to emigrate are volunteers from major cities. If Equestria survives this, they will still have colonized a second planet, which is amazing for her to contemplate. There are other planets out there with intelligent life. And they are willing to help! The generosity of spirit of these members of this Federation continuously astounds her. Were she to walk the streets of Canterlot, she would encounter some of the different species that make up this huge assemblage of very different cultures, yet they are all working together to create harmony. That fact has a bright smile on her face as she walks into the school wing. She doesn’t have a new protégé at the moment, she hasn’t had one since Twilight Sparkle. Distantly she thinks that perhaps she should choose a new young pony to guide and show them the wonders of magic. Then her smiles freezes on her face. If they don’t figure out a solution to this crisis, all of this will be gone, destroyed in massive matter antimatter explosions as their planet is broken apart, to save billions of lives on another planet. She suppresses her emotions, Twilight and her friends, and the valiant crew of the Enterprise are going to do everything in their power to prevent that necessity. Betazed will be protected, and life will go on, not just for her, but for her beloved ponies.

The clop of the hooves of one of her guard snaps her to the present. The earth pony stallion slides to a stop and salute. “Princess. Communication from the Enterprise, they are beaming down the school children.”

That gets an uncharacteristic squeal from the Princess as she prances in place for a few moments. She smiles happily at the guard. “They are beaming down to the rotunda as requested?”

He nods and she whirls around and gallops off, keeping her wings tight against her body as she runs. Sometimes it’s the most wonderful thing to simply run. She skids around a turn and slows her mad dash to a more leisurely canter before stopping at the rotunda. Standing there are a multitude of these students, some truly small, all the way up to lanky teenagers. All of them are wearing simple jumpsuits in muted colors. She takes a deep breath, it wouldn’t do to greet them in a lather.

“Greetings and welcome to Equestria, young ones.” She intones softly. She notes the one adult in the typical Starfleet uniform, instead of red like Captain Picard, the front of the shirt is blue, though the rank insignia on her collar is not the typical small pips like the officers.

She steps forward and places her hands before her before bowing slightly. “Princess Celestia, I am Chief Petty Officer Gladstone. I am the primary school teacher on board the Enterprise. This is my class.” She names the children and each one acknowledges their name, getting a nod from the Princess and a warm smile as each name is pronounced. These are children from other worlds, not just their Earth, but from several planets in the Federation. Princess Celestia fights to contain her excitement, children born in space, or born on completely different worlds.

“As this is part of your education, I will show you around our magical school. Equestrian magic is unknown to your Federation scientists, but we are working to help your scientists and engineers understand the ways of our magical abilities. I am going to show you how we teach young magic users on our world.” She turns and starts walking, the class shambling along behind her. “One thing that is common with your science and with our magic is math. Mathematical theories are used in magic just as they are with the science and technology you use on a daily basis. In fact, much of your technology, from instantaneous translation to your matter replicators, we have magical equivalents. For example, I am not speaking your language. I am speaking mine, but once one of my mages figured out the translation matrix that your universal translator uses, we’ve applied it magically so what I’m saying sounds like the language you are familiar with. And matter replication, we have similar spells to turn common materials into things we desire. We accomplish with our magic what you do with tools.” She smiles brightly at the children.

She turns a corner and opens a door. “In here is a basic telekinesis class. While telekinesis is a basic skill almost all unicorns have from birth, this teaches handling of finer objects, and also bolsters the strength of the caster.” She nods to the teacher. “If you understand energy conversion, we don’t actually generate magical energy. We use it, it’s everywhere, imbued within the universe is energy that we can tap into with our horns. That is not to say that using our magic isn’t effort, and can be quite taxing. So, unicorns in particular, crave high sugar foods to keep our own energy up as we channel large amounts of energy. And what this teaching does is trains the casters to use the energy more efficiently.” She gestures at a small filly, her eyes squeezed shut as her horn is brightly lit. Dozens of colorful balls are dancing around her head in an intricate pattern. “Experienced casters can pick up and manipulate dozens of items at a time, some more than others.” The teacher tosses several new balls towards the unicorn filly, who integrates them into her pattern. “This is what is known as magical fundamentals. We have group projects where one pony will set a gear in motion, and others add more gears, keeping them all spinning, but they have to get creative, not just a single plane of gears, but many directions and speeds, all powered by the one initial gear.”

As they move through the school, Celestia works to show the children different disciplines among her school ponies. Answering questions as the children bring them up. Finally they get to a large room, filled with shelves of books. “And now, my dear children, is the library. I’m sorry to say that you haven’t been taught our written language, but here is a large assemblage of our written history. Many of these books are being scanned into the computer on the Enterprise for reference when it comes to combatting our current problem. Captain Picard has talked about, if our efforts to save Equestria bear fruit, sending down a computer system much like what is in your starship, allowing all of this information to be preserved.” She smiles warmly. “Hopefully this will happen in the near future. Now, I want you all to move among the ponies here, sit down and talk with them, get to know them. Make friends.”

The children slowly scatter to various parts of the large room as the officer moves up to Celestia. “Truly amazing.”

Celestia tilts her head slightly. “Hm?”

“When you were described to us, given your technology level, I did not expect the amount of teaching going on here. You ponies have a tremendous knowledge base to draw from. About disciplines that are completely unknown to the Federation. If we can save this world, teams of scientists could spend lifetimes learning about you ponies.”

That gets a warm smile from the solar diarch. “I sincerely hope that will be the case. Not just for my sake, but for all the ponies and the citizens of your Federation. I hope we can be friends.”

The petty officer nods. “I hope so, too. And I do hope Captain Picard works on formalizing a relationship between the Federation and Equestria.”

“Oh? Formalizing?”

She nods. “I don’t think you would qualify to join the Federation, you are a special case though. Normally we are completely hands off when it comes to civilizations without the ability to travel faster than the speed of light. But given the circumstances, perhaps associate status, or protectorate might work out.” She stops and thinks for a moment. “I mean, if you would want ponies involved in life outside your star system.”

Celestia brings up a hoof and taps her chin. “I would want to talk to Captain Picard about that.” She smiles at the human. “Thank you.”

***

Captain Sershek is in his ready room, much of his time when in his sanctuary here is either spent meditating, or doing necessary computer work. As of right this moment, he’s reviewing the report sent to him from his chief engineer. He looks up at the door chime. “Enter.”

The door slides open, admitting his first officer and several ponies. Sershek looks at Zaitsev. “I asked for the child and her parents.

A peach colored unicorn steps forward. “We are her family. I am Light Step, lead mare for our herd. If you must pronounce punishment for our little Light Speed…” She looks at the filly cowering between the front legs of a Pegasus stallion. “We will all be involved. She was our responsibility.”

Captain Sershek stands up, unconsciously tugging at his uniform tunic. “I have no reason to pronounce any punishment. I merely summoned you here so I can understand more of what happened.”

Poking her head out more, the little filly looks up, “Mister Captain sir, I’m sorry. I didn't mean to cause problems."

“Actually, apologies are not necessary. I was reviewing my engineers report. He included scans of the crystal before you did what you did. And it turns out that there was flaws in the crystal, the passage through the barrier around your world had caused harmonic fracture within the crystal. It was sufficient at lower power levels. But once we had gone to warp, it likely would have caused the crystal to fracture. It took detailed analysis of the routine scans to find that flaw. Without that analysis, we would never have known that the flaw existed. You very likely saved the ship. But what I need to understand is…how?”

Light Speed gulps and takes a few steps forward. “Well, mister Captain, it didn’t sound…right. I could hear it vibrating all through the ship. It sounded sick to me. So, when I got to engineering, I reshaped it so it could be strong again, stronger than it was before.”

“Sick?”

Light Speed nods. “I don’t know fully what this cutie mark means.” She turns sideways, “But, I have discovered my special talent, and to think I discovered it my first time on a starship. I can feel the resonance inside your power crystals, the heart of the ship. I’ve always liked going to Canterlot and going through the crystal caves below the city. But that dilithium, I can feel it better. It sings to me, I can feel it. I know you turned your reactor thingie back on, I knew the moment it turned on cuz of its singing, right now. And it sings beautifully.”

“And that brings me to what you did. Federation and Vulcan science, among many others, have spent centuries to perfect the shape and composition of dilithium crystals for use in warp engines. And you did in seconds what trained scientists have spent their lives on. How?”

The filly looks down at her light blue hoof, pawing gently at the carpeted deck. After a moment, she looks up. “I really don’t know. It’s not always easy to explain what a cutie mark means. I was sad because I’m older than most ponies in my class and I didn’t get my cutie mark in school. And then I come on to your ship. And then I could feel your crystal. And it was sick…” She looks up at him. “I knew I could fix it, its happy now.”

Sershek nods. “Well, you will be happy to know, the reaction is now significantly more efficient now. I have approved the use of the new crystal for now. If it proves to be as efficient as initial tests show, we will transmit the new design to Starfleet Engineering. You will get credit, young…filly…for making all of Starfleet more efficient. So, for that, thank you.”

The filly beams as his first officer leads the ponies from his ready room. As the door closes he sits down in his seat heavily. “Completely illogical…” the first officer murmurs softly.

***

The transporter field fades from around Captain Picard and Dr. Crusher. Nestled in somewhat of a valley is a well constructed animal sanctuary. Though Picard takes a moment to look, the numbers of creatures are nearly identical to Earth creatures is breathtaking. The yellow Pegasus is walking slowly towards them. Dr. Crusher leans over towards him. “Amazing, Jean Luc. I’m going to have to do DNA scanning, but these look like Earth fauna.”

Fluttershy stops, hiding a bit behind her mane. “Welcome.”

Picard smiles brightly. “This is your sanctuary?”

She nods. “It’s called the Sweet Feather Sanctuary. All the animals here are being rehabilitated so they can be released back into the wild.” She flinches as a white rabbit has come up and is tugging on her mane. “Oh, Angel, wait your turn.”

The rabbit chitters at her, then she shakes her head. “No, I’m busy right now, Angel.” She looks up at the two humans. “I’m sorry, but Angel can be very insistent when he wants something.

Crusher blinks slowly. “You can understand what he’s saying?”

She nods. “Of course. But with your translator thingie, can’t you?”

Picard and Crusher look at each other for a long moment before shaking their heads. Fluttershy smiles. “Well, most ponies can’t understand my animal friends, either.”

“Are they sapient?” Picard asks.

Fluttershy narrows her eyes. “I think I understand what you are asking, whether they think in the same way ponies do, or griffons, or minotaurs.” She looks up at Picard. “Or you humans. And I would have to say…no. They are smart, in their own ways, but limited. They tell me their needs and wants, but they don’t think about much beyond immediate needs and desires. I can’t have a philosophical conversation with a deer or a duck.” She smiles brightly, which falters as her eyes focus behind the two humans. “Oh, hi Discord.” Her smile comes back, brighter than before.

Picard and Beverly spin around, and they look up. A creature is standing there, the most insane amalgamation of different species parts that either have ever seen before. The creature ignores them and exits a hole in the air, which snaps closed behind him. “Oh dear Fluttershy, are you ready for our tea?”

Picard frowns, something is familiar about this creature.

“Captain Picard, Doctor Crusher, this is my friend, Discord.”

Discord perks an eyebrow then twirls around the pair looking them up and down, "Bipedal hairless, dogs or primate?" Standing up to his full height he looks down at them, "No magic? Ugh, these creatures have barely crawled out of the muck." Sticking his nose into the air he huffs, "This kind of creature probably zips around in space between the stars, thinking they are superior to everyone else, trying to do good but actually messing everything up. Blah."

Fluttershy’s voice gains some hardness. “Now, Discord, be nice. They are trying to help our world.”

“Help? What help can they be compared to all-powerful the lord of chaos!” He spreads his limbs wide and laughs, out of nowhere the sky turns dark and black clouds appear with lightning flashes as bolts silhouette him.

It’s Fluttershy’s turn to roll her eyes. “Oh so dramatic. This isn’t Ogres and Oubliettes.” She says sarcastically.

Dr. Crusher steps forward. “This world is in danger, Discord.”

He turns quickly and fixes her with a stare with his yellow eyes. “Danger. No. Not with me around. I’ll never let anything happen to Fluttershy.” The yellow pony clears her throat loudly. Discord rolls his eyes. “And her friends.” Getting a beaming smile from the Pegasus.

“Then perhaps you are not aware that this world, and the bubble of space around it is hurtling into the…”

“How boring, she just keep yapping away,” Discord turns and snaps his fingers, and with a bright flash, Dr. Crusher is turned into a large dog, which barks at him.

“Discord!” Fluttershy snaps.

He turns and looks at her. “What?”

“Turn. Her. Back!”

“Would you rather I turned her into a bunny?” He stops, looking down at Angel. “On second thought, one of those is more than enough.” He looks at Fluttershy and sighs. “Oh, very well, for you, Fluttershy.”

He snaps his paw and with another flash, Dr. Crusher is standing there. “…Betazed. And not to mention the entire system is in danger!” She stops, looking around. “What happened?”

Picard is jolted from his thoughts. “I know you.”

“Of course you do, we were just introduced,” shaking his head Discord smirks. “I’m pretty famous around here, I even have my own stained glass image at the castle.”

Picard takes a step forward. “True, but you are more than the ponies know, aren’t you?”

Discord whirls around, bending down to glare at the Captain. “You would presume to know my identity? I am Discord. I am Chaos incarnate. I am Fluttershy’s friend. Do you want to take this outside?” With a snap of his fingers Discord opens a rift to a realm of pure chaos.

“I know that voice, Discord.” He glances at Fluttershy then back to Discord. “In fact, I think we’ve met on a few occasions.”

He glances at Fluttershy then back to Discord. “In fact, we’ve met on a few occasions.”

Discord rolls his eyes. “Oh, someone might have met them, I mean, humanity has gotten farther out from their home system than was expected. Likely someone was ordered to make contact with them.” “Discord.” Her voice is carrying a lot of warning, getting the creature to flinch. "What? I was in stone for 1000 years remember? That was before you and I became friend.” Discord half shrugs,

“The arrogance of these primates.” Discord flows over and embraces Fluttershy. “Now, don’t you worry, Discord will take care of any dangers to our home, you don’t need to worry that pretty pink mane of yours.”

Fluttershy blinks. “What is he talking about, Discord? How do you know him?”

Discord rolls his eyes. “Oh, we might have met, I mean, humanity has gotten farther out from their home system than was expected.”

“Discord.” Her voice is carrying a lot of warning, getting the creature to flinch.

“Oh, no offense intended, Fluttershy. That was before you and I became friends.”

“Discord, you come clean right now. Tell me how you know these humans!”

Picard crosses his arms and smiles smugly. “Yes, I’d be happy to hear you spin the tale, Q.”