• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 4,945 Views, 321 Comments

A Soul in Steel and Iron - Cyber V



I was just a ordinary guy and lead a normal life, but when I died, I wish to live more and I got it.

  • ...
15
 321
 4,945

Chapter 3: Discovery

Discovery

"Come on Jace, wake up," Clockwork pleaded to the still form of the automaton on the table as she's flipping through the stack of instructions for any clue on to turn him on. "I don't believe it," she said frustrated as she tossed the instructions onto the table after going through them a dozen of times, "somepony or something, gave me these instructions for this amazing engineering wonder… and they forgot to put in a freaking on switch. I mean come on, that should've been the first thing when one is designing a machine, especially one on this scale."

Clockwork's stomach then started to grumble from the lack of food that it has received today, "argh, I can't think on an empty stomach," she stated as she moved away from the table and back to the fridge to feed her stomach with its measly contents. She hastily put together a sandwich with the last of contents of the fridge and a bite out of it, "ugh, I think the cheese went bad," she commented as she tossed the sandwich into a trashcan beside the sink, while the bitter taste of the bad cheese is ravaging her sense of taste.

Clockwork levitated a cup out of the dish rack near the sink and floated it under the faucet and turn on the water, quickly filling the glass with water. When the class filled up with water, she shut of flow of water and brought it close and took a mouthful of and swished it around, washing the bitter aftertaste of the cheese. There must be something I'm missing here, she thought as she spit the water into the sink and looked back Jace on the table, releasing a sigh as she remembered her promise, "maybe there's a step I missed."

She quickly downed the rest of the water and put the glass back into the dish rack before she walked back to the table and picked up the instructions and brought them over into the candle light and started examining them more carefully for any steps that she might have missed during the construction of Jace's body. "Ah!" She cried out in aggravation as she threw the pages of Jace's specs onto the floor, causing them to scatter all over the table, "I looked through all of them carefully and the only thing I found, are some little markings on some of their edges."

"And I'm talking to myself or maybe I'm talking to you Jace, but you're currently a lifeless statue though so maybe I'm talking to myself still," Clockwork said in defeat, "I think I better pick these up now," she suggested as she started to pick up the pieces of paper from the floor with her magic, but as she was picking them up, she noticed that some of the markings match up. "What do you have here?" she questioned as she dropped the other pages and brought the two closer to each other.

As soon as she fitted them together, she was surprised to saw that the markings now formed into a sequence of words: The final step. "You got to be freaking kidding me?" Clockwork said in disbelief at what she just learned as she looked at the rest of instructions on the floor, "the final step is hidden throughout the other pages?" she asked to air as she lifted up the other pages and saw that they are fragments of words.

"Ah great, not only is the final step spread throughout the other pages, they're in form of a puzzle," she observed as she brought another set of pages together and saw that they don't match up, "I hate puzzles," but then she gaze drifted over back to Jace. "But I'll do it just this once for you," she added as she placed the other sheets of paper on the table and started randomly placing the pages to find the last step.

"There it's finally done," Clockwork said as she placed the final piece among with the other pieces, now creating a long line of papers stacked on top of each and finally revealing the last step to her after spending hours working on it. Clockwork let out a yawn as stood up from the floor, compelling her to look at a small ticking clock on the table and saw that is very late into the night, "oh wow, it's getting late. I really need to go to bed, but first…" she turned her attention to the final step before her hooves, "let's see what the final step is."

She levitated a lone candle stub from the table that has somehow outlasted its other waxen brethren above the last instruction, "The final instruction…" she let out a yawn as she started to read through weary eyes, "… is to get the soul to start flowing through its new form and this can be accomplished within a few steps… yes, finally!" Clockwork announces as the numbness of sleep is temporarily banished and to be quickly replaced be the sense of excitement, "… the first step is to rest the source of one's stores of magical aura onto the forehead of the figure in need."

"One's stores of magical aura?" Clockwork questioned when she read that, "does it mean my horn?" she asked out loud as her eyes look up at the silvery glow encased horn on her forehead, "well I guess so, because one's magical aura does mean the magic inside of anypony and since I'm a unicorn in this case, I think that the "the sources of one's stores" will be my horn," she concluded, "so the first step is saying that I should place my horn on Jace's forehead," she said as she looked at Jace as she suddenly imaged herself kissing where Jace's mouth should, causing him to wake up like some kind of prince in a reversed situation of some kind of fairy tale.

Clockwork shuddered at the thought, "oh thank the gods that I don't have to do that," she thanked and then she looked at Jace and added, "no offence Jace, but I'm saving my first kiss for my special somepony someday and you're not even a pony," she then comprehended what she said, "oops sorry, but you might've been once, however you're not anymore," she stated and then frown as her bad habit got the best of her, "well let us continue the final step, shall we?"

When she didn't get answer in response, Clockwork lightly slapped her hoof into her face in annoyance, "why am I asking you? You're currently a nonresponsive hunk of metal," she let out a sigh at what she just did, "let's just continue with the final instruction, so I can catch up on some the nights I skipped when I was building you," she looked back at the final instruction and resumed reading, "…now then extend your magical aura throughout the body until it has filled every space within it, hold it there for the final step. To fully connect the soul to its new form is the final step, say the spell; ignire in anima et factus unum cum mea, igniting the aura within, causing the crystal to fuse with the gems throughout the body, thus connecting it to its new form."

"Okay, step two is pretty self-explanatory, but that last step seems a bit weird though, because I never seen a spell structured like that," Clockwork admitted as she finished reading the last two steps of the final instruction, "but if it can help you Jace, then I'm doing it," she carefully lifted the puzzle made out of the pages of the scroll with her magic off the floor and stacked them in order on the table, all the while as the creeping feeling of sleep is slowly returning, "I better do this quick, don't want to fall asleep on the floor again or I'll have a back aches in the morning," she walked over to Jace's head with the candle following her. It came to a stop above the stacked instructions as Clockwork stood at the head, "alright step one; rest horn on forehead," she placed her horn on Jace's forehead, approximately over the area where the crystal of Jace's soul is resting, "check."

"Step two; let the magic flow from me and into the body," she closed her eyes and concentrated, releasing energy from herself and guiding it throughout Jace's body until it filled every available space, "and hold it there, check," Clockwork strained as the exhaustion of maintaining multiple spells at once started asking for its' price, "okay, now for the last step; igniting the energy inside the body, connecting Jace's soul to it as well as to the body."

She took a deep breath to help steady her nerves and to clear the sleep from her mind before she uttered the words of the odd spell, "ignire in anima," she felt the magic inside the body starting to change, but she pressed onward with the spell, "et factus unum cum mea." As soon as the last word left her tongue, she felt her magical reserves inside her and in Jace's body suddenly burst like a firework, quickly filling them both up with magic that feels… chaotic, but at the same time orderly, which made Clockwork to drop the candle from the sudden rush of the strange magic invading her natural reserves of magic. "Whoa, what was that?" she asked as she started to shudder, "well whatever it is, it feels like I am on some kind of sugar rush."

But just as soon as the chaotic magic had invaded her reserves of magic, it started to withdrawal from her and into Jace's body, along with her own sources of magic, "wait, what's going on? Stop, you're taking my magic," she panicky ordered the chaotic magic that's stealing her own. When the flow of her magic didn't stop, Clockwork tried to cancel the spell by severing the flow of her magic, but found that she no longer has control of it. She even tried to remove her horn from Jace's forehead, but found that she can't even move, "please stop," she pleaded with whatever or whoever that has control over her, "just stop and let me go, please."

As Clockwork was about to faint from her reserves being drained by some unknown force, the flow of magic unexpectedly reversed and quickly rushed back into Clockwork just as the force that was holding her suddenly disappeared, causing her to be flung back from the sudden backlash of magic. Clockwork flew back and landed painfully on the hardwood floor and started to feel her head pounding like one is banging on a set of drums. "Oh my head," she said as she placed her hooves on an area of her forehead right below her horn, "if I ever find this Karma character, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind when I find him for putting me through this… just as soon as this headache passes," she promised as she slowly stood up groaning as she felt every ache make itself known as if she just went through a washing machine.

"Wait, Jace," she looked back at the table and at Jace and there she saw a silvery glow encasing Jace's metal form, "Jace?" Clockwork warily asked the mechanized being on the table as she took a few cautious steps towards him. She jumped in surprise when the glow suddenly became as bright as a star, blinding her from the sudden flash of light. "Ah jeez, my eyes," Clockwork cried out in pain as she held her eyes in her hooves. After rubbing her eyes to clear the sunspots from her eyes, she looked away from her hooves and at Jace. She moved closer towards to the table, alert for anymore sudden bursts of lights, but as she neared the mechanical creature on the table, she became aware of a bitter smell of something burning.

"But I don't have any food left, so what could possibly be burning?" Clockwork asked and then she noticed a faint glow coming from next to Jace and it was getting brighter. Curious at what it is, she walked around the table to see what was making the glow and when she came into view and she felt her heart stop at what she saw what was making the glow; the stack of pages contain the spec designs for Jace's body had somehow caught on fire. "Oh scrap, oh scrap, oh scrap!" Clockwork panicky repeated as she bolted from the table and towards the sink, quickly picking up the same glass that she used from the dish rack and quickly filled it with water from the faucet.

When the glass completely filled up, she removed it from underneath the flow of water and rushed back to the table containing the now fully formed blaze, that's consuming Jace's blueprints. She brought the glass of water over the flames and dumped the water on it, causing the fire to immediately go out and black smoke to rise from the blueprints, causing Clockwork to start coughing as some of it entered her lungs. She waved a hoof over where the instructions were, hoping that they weren't damaged to badly. But when the last of the smoke disappeared and revealed waterlogged black ashes instead of the instructions, Clockwork felt her hopes of saving them dash away at their sorry sight.

"Oh slag," Clockwork said as she floated the glass back over to the sink and shut off the still flowing water, "well it is a good thing that I was able to finish you Jace," she pointed out the silver lining of the situation, "but what caused the fire?" as soon as she said that, her eyes settled on a pool of melted candle wax in the middle of the remains and then she understood what happened, "oh scrap metal, I'm going to get it from Karma when he finds out that I accidently set fire to his diagrams," but then the pain and headache returned when the adrenaline left her systems, "or I guess we can call it even thanks to all the pain he did to me," she suggested as she craned her neck and felt it pop in some places and then she realized something, "wait, did the final step even work?"

She quickly made her way over to Jace and leaned over his face, "Jace can you hear me?" she asked him, but instead of a normal response, she heard a clicking of gears coming from his chest. Feeling excited, she quickly rushed around the table and put an ear on his chest, listening for another sound. When she didn't hear anything, she removed her ear and rubbed a hoof in it and placed it back on the chest plate, was I imagining it?

A few seconds later she was answered with a click of gears moving and then another and another, until the sound of gears started to move into rhythm like that of a heart, "yes, yes, yes," Clockwork happily repeated as she pulled her ear away from Jace's chest, "he's alive, he's finally alive," she giggled out of excitement as she rubbed her hooves together in glee, Clockwork immediately realized what she was doing and stopped the sleep deprived induced act, "okay note to self; do not do that again, ever," she instructed herself just as she let out a yawn, telling Clockwork that it is very late, "oh jeez, what time is it?"

She looked at the clock on the table and was shocked to learn what time it is, "it's freaking four in the morning?" Not believing at what she's seeing, she rubbed her eyes to temporary clear the sleep from them and looked back at ticking timekeeper, "oh scrap, it's really four in the morning," just then the tolls of the activities that she did earlier started to ask for their payments. "Okay, I think it is time for me to go to bed now," she stated as she then started to wobbly make her way towards a set of doors at the back of the room and away from the remains and the now completed automaton. Clockwork entered through the right one and closed the door just as the metallic being's right hand moved.

Deep underneath the surface of the earth, a lone cloaked figure calmly walked down an empty hallway that not many like to walk down, because of what rested at the end. After walking a few more yards, the cloaked figure came to a stop at a set of non-descriptive metal doors, but the doors isn't the reason why many stay clear of this hall, it's what behind them that many feared.

The shrouded figure took a calming breath to steady its nerve and then lifted its forearms and rested a pair of paws on them, and with a controlled force, the figure pushed open the door, where sounds of metal scraping each other and steam hissing of release met the one that opened the door. The bipedal creature walked through the doors and took a few steps inside the room that was dimly lit by oil lanterns hanging around on the walls, revealing a series of metallic limbs ranging from a wing of a Pegasus to that of a dragon's forearm.

However the now nervous creature wasn't looking at the décor of the room, but at a larger cloaked figure sitting at a table with an assortment of metal parts on it, and back facing the smaller figure. "What is it?" the shrouded being called out above the sound of the room, causing the creature to hesitate, which was clearly a mistake, "if you're not going to answer me straight away whoever you are, then I think it is time to replace that mouth of yours with a metal version, because after all, I do like to have my questions answered immediately," the shadow covered form threatened.

"My apology Master," the smaller figure said as it then kneeled on the floor, eyes looking down at the stone floor underneath its feet, "I'll answer immediately from now on."

"Ah, Alpha is that you?"

"Yes Master," Alpha quickly answered as he lifted his head up from the floor and towards his master, while pulling back the hood of his cloak and revealing a Diamond Dog underneath the cloth.

"Well what is it Alpha? Because you perfectly know that I don't like to be disturbed," Alpha's master questioned as he lifted a covered forearm and an assortment of metal parts lifted up into the air from the table and started to assemble together as they floated around the caster.

"Master, I believe we've finally found it," Alpha responded back, as he once more bowed to the stonework floor.

This caused the master to pause in what he's doing, "are you sure?" the robed figure questioned as he turned around and looked at the bowing Diamond Dog.

"Yes Master, one of our sensors throughout Equestria had picked up a strange magical energy surge just about five minutes ago," Alpha supplied as he heard a chair scraping against the floor as his master stood up from it. He then heard heavy metal steps moving across the stone floor as his master is walking towards him.

"Are you positive?" the sounds of heavy walking increased.

"Yes Master, the magical signatures are the same."

The Diamond Dog heard sounds of steam releasing and creaking metal as his master stopped in front of the still bowing dog, "where?" Alpha's master inquired. Alpha looked up from the floor and at his master.

"In a small town called Ironwood Falls."

"Morning Clockwork, whoa, you look terrible," Frosting observed from behind the counter as a ragged looking silver unicorn with a heavy looking saddlebag stepped into the Sweet Shoppe, "did you do something last night?" the white Pegasus asked Clockwork as she sat down and face plant into it and started to make tired-filled groans to the grains of wood of the table, letting them know of her lack of sleep.

"Frosting…" Clockwork started without removing her face from the table as she heard her friend approaching her table, "… is there anything on that menu of yours that can make wake me up while at the same time killing this headache that's killing me?"

"Well I might have something that can help…"

"Good, give it to me please, because I have some appointments today and I don't want to give the elderly ones heart attacks at the sight of me."

"Okay then, but don't you think you're overrea- AaAaHh," Frosting screamed when Clockwork lifted her head up and stared at her friend with bloodshot eyes, accompanied with bags under her eyes and with the messy mane and ruffled coat, causing Clockwork to look like some kind of wraith from a foal's nightmare.

"You're the third pony to scream like that this morning," Clockwork stated, now slightly annoyed at her friend's reaction, as she pulled her eyes from her friend and laid her head down on the table with her eyes closed, trying to gain some sleep due to the lack of it she had last night.

"Sorry, but what happened to you Clockwork?" Frosting asked concerned for her friend's health as she felt her heart starting to slow down from the fright she gotten at the sight of her friend, "how did you get into this horrible state?"

"This is what a little mixture of magical exhaustion and sleep deprivation can do," Clockwork explained as she barely opened her eyes and squinted at her friend without lifting her head up from the tabletop, "now, about that order? Because as I said; I have a headache that's killing me and I also have some appointments today as well."

"Yeah, you'll definitely need it then, one Wake-Up Call coming right up," Clockwork then heard her friend opening her wings and then flapping noises which was soon followed by Frosting bounding over tables and counters and straight into the kitchen, where Clockwork then heard pots and pans moving about, making something what Frosting called a Wake-Up Call.

Whatever that is, Clockwork thought as she closed her eyes and tried to keep her mind clear so the headache pounding in her head won't use it to hurt her some more, "Karma, you're seriously going to get it for putting me through all of this craziness," she vowed as she felt sleep starting to take hold…

"Here you go," a cheerful voice called out, startling Clockwork and causing her to jolt upwards in her seat, like a student getting caught sleeping in the middle of class by the teacher, "wow, you must be really tired to even try to sleep here," Frosting stated as she placed a steaming cup in front of the silver machinist, "then this will definitely wake you up."

Clockwork looked into the cup and saw a bubbling white half liquid half solid substance in it, and she wasn't sure that she was imagining it or not, but she thought she just saw it trying to climb up the walls of the cup, "ah Frosting, not that I judging your cooking credentials or anything, but what exactly is it? Because I think I just saw it move," Clockwork inquired as she moved the cup with her hooves, trying to see if the thing in the cup will move again.

"Um, I rather not say what I used to make it," Frosting said to her, "but this recipe was made by my grandmother and she was the town's herbalist, so everything she made is perfectly okay to consume," she assured Clockwork.

"Well if you say so," Clockwork said as looked back at the cup and picked it up with her magic, not noticing the confused look from Frosting, and brought it up close to her nose and took a sniff of it, but didn't pick up any odor. I hope whatever this thing is, it is tasteless just like its smell, and then she winced as the headache made itself known, making Clockwork's decision for her, "well, down the hatch," she brought the glass to her mouth and downed the glass, and immediately started coughing and gagging as the concoction slid down her throat and into her stomach, causing Clockwork to shudder at the feeling it made on the way, "ah yuck, it taste like I just swallowed a cup of chalk paste," Clockwork gagged.

"Huh, for some strange reason, my grandmother's mixtures always taste like chalk," Frosting revealing that hidden fact of the drink that she gave to Clockwork.

"Why didn't you say that before I drank that disgusting drink," Clockwork complained as she rubbed her tongue with her hooves to get rid of the taste of the drink.

"If I had, would've you drank it then?" Frosting asked her, "and besides the headache is gone and you're not tired anymore, aren't they?"

True to the Pegasus' word, Clockwork found that her headache is indeed gone, as well as filled with energy that overcame the tiredness, "whoa you're right," Clockwork amazed at how fast the concoction worked, "that's some amazing stuff, even if it does taste disgusting."

"Alrighty then," Frosting started as she stood up from the table, "now that your headache is gone and you're not on the verge of falling asleep where you stand, what would you like for breakfast?" At the mention of food Clockwork started to growl, causing Clockwork to sheepishly smile at the Pegasus, "and judging by how loud your stomach was, I say that… you probably used the last of the food you had in your house, but had to toss it out due to one of the ingredients going bad, which then means that you didn't have any food to eat before you can here."

"You what know something Frosting, I sometimes find it very scary that you know me so well that you can word by word go over what I did last night," Clockwork stated.

"The only thing I can't figure out is how you got into that horrid state," Frosting confessed, "so I'm going to get you some breakfast and in payment, you're going to tell me what's going on with you, because you've been acting weird lately and I'm worried about you Clockwork," and with that, Clockwork watched her best friend walk back behind the counter and then into the kitchen to get her meal.

Clockwork sat there, thinking on how to tell her friend about Jace and his predicament as she started to fiddle with the empty cup that had contained the chalk tasting drink between her front hooves, hoping that it could help her with own predicament. "Ah scrap metal," she said in defeat as she pushed the cup of the foul substance away from her and out of her physical reach, it came to a rest near the edge of the table on the other side, "I am a suppose to explain about Jace, without me sounding like some kind of loony?" she asked herself as Clockwork let out an overwhelmed sigh.

She turned her attention back to the cup and brought it over with her magic and started passing it back and forth between her hooves, "on one hoof; I tell my best friend about Jace and possibly get checked into the nearest mental ward, however on the other; I lie to my best friend about Jace and I might end up losing her as a friend," the cup came to a stop in the middle of the representations of her choices.

"Oh what should I do Jace?" She asked out loud as she grasped the cup in her hooves and releasing it from her magic.

"Who's Jace?" a voice suddenly asked, startling Clockwork and causing her to drop the cup from fright, which then hit the table, but luckily didn't break from the impact. The silver unicorn looked around and saw that during her discussion with the cup, her Pegasus friend had quietly left the kitchen and approached her table with a tray of food and overheard her saying Jace's name. "So who's Jace?" Frosting repeated as she set the tray on the table and then proceeded to sit across from Clockwork.

Clockwork looked at the tray of food and saw a platter of cheesy eggs, hay bacon and buttered toasts and an apple turnover, with a glass of milk on the side. When Clockwork got a whiff of the meal, she felt her mouth started to salivate at the thought of eating the meal, but Frosting quickly brought the tray of food closer to her and out of Clockwork's reach, "nah ah, not yet, you're going to tell me what happened to you first, then I'll let you have the food," she negotiated, "and you're going to start by telling me whose Jace."

"Fine you win," Clockwork admitted defeated, which she was then with her stomach starting to complain to her for its deny of food, "Jace is the pony that I am helping with the project that I just finished put together last night after almost a whole year, which then explains why I was tired this morning."

"What about the magical exhaustion?"

"Apparently to get the project to start, it was to take my magic and then hit me with it, like it was some kind of fish," Clockwork answered as she rubbed the side of her head from the memory of the pain.

"And what exactly is this project Clockwork?" Frosting asked, "Because you never mentioned about it."

"Sorry Frosting, but I was asked to keep the secrecy of this project," she apologized, "so please understand that I can't tell you everything," she remorsefully added, "but I can say this though, it is going to help Jace and others around him as well."

Frosting sat there, staring at Clockwork as she processed what she told her. After about a minute she finally spoke up, "here," she said as she pushed the tray of food towards Clockwork, who then said thank you and started digging into the food, "I believe you, but know that I am just concerned about you."

"I know Frosting, because you're my best friend," Clockwork said as she took a breather from eating, "so be assured when I say that I'm going to be perfectly okay from now on," Clockwork assured her Pegasus friend and then she resumed eating her breakfast.

Half an hour later, Clockwork stepped out of the Sweet Shoppe with a full stomach and completely refreshed, "thanks for the meal Frosting," she called back to her friend who is now standing in the doorway of the restaurant, "I promise to pay you back for it later, maybe by the end of the week," she promised as she made her way down the street.

Frosting watched her until she turn a corner and disappeared from sight, "was I imagining it or did Clockwork's magic seem a bit… different?"Frosting asked herself just as she saw a group of ponies making their way towards the small restaurant, "maybe it was just me," she concluded and then she realized something, "ah great, now I'm talking to myself just like Clockwork."