• Published 5th Aug 2020
  • 1,072 Views, 28 Comments

A Captain’s Lament - Moonlit_Stardust



Betrayal, Banishment and Eternity. The hight of a Captain's life cast down by the one her served.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,072

A Captains Return

I continue to rub my abused nose as I walk further down the path, it is still a good two miles to Ponyville and then another mile and a half to Sweet Apple Acres. I can only hope that they remember me, after all that happened those years ago in the Everfree, otherwise I suspect I am about to get a buck to the head for “Trespassing” on their property. Though not like it won’t be the first time Bright Mac did it, though I can understand the first time as he was in life or death fight or flight mode.

Though as I walk down the road past the sign I can’t help but think back to my life in Banishment, The battles, the people, the lands and so on that I doubt anypony from Equestria has seen in the last six hundred or so years. But with those fond memories also comes all my mistakes, failures and the people lost. From Alliance of Kingdoms on the Griffon Isles, to the Shamanic tribes of Zebrika and so many more lands no other pony has likely seen even now.

Through all of it, these last few decades have given me some of my fondest memories, I can say without a doubt that I regret nothing I have done or achieved. That’s not to say that I don’t have regrets, many a time have I done things that would make villains turn from their paths. But I have never and will never harm an Innocent, each thing I regret; I regret for the simple fact that I didn't do it sooner.

I have propped up Governments, tore down others and in more than one case created ones from nothing. I have both saved and doomed many beings over the last six hundred years and in most cases nothing but good has come from it!

But the cost, the cost is what I regret the most. So many lives lost to achieve even the good things, that is by far my most heavy burden and highest of regrets.

One such event that almost joined that list happened just two years ago. I had been traveling down a rarely used trade path at the time, it’s remoteness and proximity to the Everfree and Timberwolf Territory making it a less used but shorter route to the Boarder of the Griffon Empire and Equestria, the paths end lands travelers in the boarder town of San Featheton that acts as Equestria Rail hub within the Griffon Empire for trade. By this time my Banishment had ended just over a week ago while I was visiting with friends in the Capital, after visiting I had decided it was time to finally go home after so long. I had decided on taking this lesser known trade path on my way back to San Featheton as to avoid other travelers to the best of my ability.

Two years ago

I regret EVER taking this Moon damned path, it may be a shorter path but the overgrowth and fallen logs make it a damn pain to navigate. I guess I shouldn’t complain though, given I am already halfway down it and will likely make San Featheton by the end of tomorrow. Though at this rate I will need a new pair of boots by the time I ge-

“AHHHHHHHH”

“SHIT”


I start running towards the cry before it even dies out, drawing Moonbeam as I go. I know enough of this forest to not hold back on my speed, the trees and rocks blurring past me as I hop bushes and fallen logs. I can feel my adrenaline starting to pump and my mind focusing to a point as my senses enhance themselves and I start picking up the smell of rotting wood. I know the smell all too well; Timberwolves.

I see a clearing in front of me after a minute of running through a thin line of trees, I pick up my pase and leap through it. I land on the first Wolf, caving it’s skull in under my boot as the ground cracks and dust is kicked up. I slowly straighten up and walk out of the cloud of dust I created to see three more Wolves that have now fully turned to me.

I reverse my grip on Moonbeam and push off the ground into a sprint, in seconds I am on the first of the three Wolves as I spin and drive the edge of Moonbeam through the Wolf that was at the head of the three. As I right myself I look to the last two standing Wolves, both of which have flattened their leafy ears while their heads lower slightly.

I Flick Moonbeam out to throw the Green blood off her before speaking “Leave, now. Your pack mates will return to the Mother Tree in time. This is the only warning you will get, next time I will personally inform her that her pups are breaking our agreement.”

They bow their heads even more and turn, running back into the Trees. After a moment I sheath Moonbeam and turn to look at the Ponies I had just saved.

The mare is on the small side, even for Ponies, her fur is a light Peach and her hair is long and colored a Light Orange. She is wearing a Short Light Purple shirt and light Brown Work Pants.

I Turn to my left to look at the Stallion, only to get a Hoof to the Face, I stagger and slowly lose consensus. Before I am completely gone I can just make out the mare starting to berate the Stallion and then Darkness.

I woke up in their Camp about two hours later, laying on a to small cot in a tent. After getting up and walking out the Stallion, who introduced himself as Bright Mac, proceeded to apologize repeatedly for the kick. I simply waved it off and told him that if he really wanted to Apologize then he can just buy me a cider, or five, down the line.

They started explaining that they were returning from the griffon capital to the boarder town of San Featheton, where they had planned to board a train heading back to their home in Ponyville and had been told of this shortcut in a small trading outpost some miles back. They were told of the potential dangers of the lesser used trail, but decided that cutting a day off their travel was worth it.

I told them that the Trail was so little used due to it’s proximity to Timberwolf Territory, that only heavily armed caravans took this route when they had time sensitive cargo to deliver to San Featheton’s Rail Station.

I stayed the Night and took the offered meal, it was a good night of laughing and stories that I haven’t had in a long time and I relished in it. I shared some stories from my time in the Zebra Lands and of those who I met and Befriended. While Pear bragged about her cooking and Bright regailed me with his strength. It wasn’t until very late into the night that we all called it quits and went to bed, I do not regret the lack of sleep that I got and I suspect that neither did they.

The Mare, who introduced herself as Pear Butter, grabbed me the next day before I could leave and wrapped me in a bone crushing hug and proceeded to tearfully thank me repeatedly once more. I Hugged her back as best I could and told her that I am Happy I was near, as they were two of the best ponies I have met to date.

I departed from their Camp shortly after, with the promise that I would visit the first chance I got.

Present

As the memory fades from my mind, I bring my left hand up to the side of my face and wince at the ghost pain. Earthen Ponies hit harder than Drunk Alicorns, I swear. Had I been braced for it I might not have gone under, maybe.

I soon refocued on the trail ahead of me and edge the small Village started to come into view, Whie past it was my Destination. If I was a pony my jaw would have likely dropped to the ground, the sheer amount of Apple Trees is mind boggling, stretching from the access road and too well out of sight over the hills in the distance, it's breathtaking to take in no matter who you are.

After I metaphorically pick my jaw off the ground, I start down a side road that bypasses the Village near its outskirts. I would rather not have my return reported just yet, I want to see Sun Butt on my own terms and not hers.

With that thought in mind I pull my Hood closer to my head to hide my face and continue down the road.

It takes another forty five minutes and one pothole, but I reach the entry arch to the property. It’s a beautifully carved sign that reads “Sweet Apple Acres” in large western style script that you would have expected out of Earth's old west, under the script is a large indent cut faded red apple.

The entryway was beautiful and if I turn my head left or right I can see small wooden picket fences running into the distance in each direction. It is like something out of a plain state in looks and it brings back half remembered memories of my past near one thousand years ago.

I shake my head of the memories and procide past the entry Gate and start my walk to the Farm House in the distance, a red barn sitting near it and off to the right. I can hear a soft “Thwack” coming from off into the orchards to my left and I can hear a Banjo playing from the direction of the house.

It was a few more minutes before I reached the porch and low and behold there sat Pear Butter, playing a Banjo and humming a wordless tune completely lost in the moment. It’s a catchy little tune and sounds oddly familiar even if I can’t place it.

As she hums the last of the tune she opens her eyes and looks up and forward towards me, she lets out a slight squeak and jumps into the air which makes the chair she was sitting on fall back with a loud tack of wood on wood.

Not even a few seconds later the front screen door flings open and out comes three more ponies. The first is Bright Mac, he doesn’t look a day older from when I last met him but he does look less lanky and more well built with defined muscles.

Behind him is a Colt, he is big for his age at near my height and a bright apple red fur color, around his neck is a tan Neck Collar. He is developing some fairly large muscles from farm work.

The elder Mare behind the Red Stallion is lime green and wears a bonnet like piece of fabric over her head and has her hair tied into a loose bun on the back of her head. She has this aura about her, that aura that makes you stop and listen when she starts speaking. It almost reminds me of Zakera, she was a Zebra Shamaness I met some ten years ago on my trek through Zebrika.

I wonder how her Daughter is doing.

A small breeze picks up and I am reminded that my Hood is still up and shadowing my face. It's funny really as you would think a cloaked person standing on your property would put people on edge. But no, they are just standing there looking at me.

I look over to Bright Mac, my face still shadowed “Well” I start off “it’s been awhile hasn’t it?” Bright Mac starts and his ears fold back flat to his head.

He looks me up and down “Well I can’t rightly say I have met you before, not often we see cloaked ponies moving about here or much less on the Farm” His head tilts at the end and a confused expression adorns his face.

I let out a small Laugh “Well I remember you, after all you still owe me a Cider for that kick to the face after I saved your hide!” It took a moment, but then his pupils shrank to pin-pricks and his ears stood on end and strait up.

I reached up to my hood and pulled it back and down, it was almost terrifying in the way his smile started to climb to the edge of his face, but before he could say anything there was a sudden high pitched sound from off to my right where Pear Butter was standing. In the time I was watching Bright she had gotten over her shock and was now speeding towards me like a demented orange missile.

It was less than a second, but I found myself on my back and a certain orange and cream color mare trying to hug the life out of me with all her not inconsiderable strength, again. I bring my left hand up and start petting her head before looking at her Husband who is now on the floor holding his side laughing, much help he will be!

I look back down to the head of fuzzy orange hair, I can’t help but chuckle a bit at her bubbly and friendly attitude after all these years “Yes Pear I missed you too, but if you don’t kindly mind can you let me go?” she lifts her head and looks at me with a pout “Now don’t give me that look, I have been on the road for a week and would much enjoy a bath and some of that food you bragged about back when!” It took a moment for my words to register, but then she was off me and back into the house like her tail was on fire.

I stood up and dusted myself off with a few pats, once i was done I looked over to Bright and saw the smile on his face. It was almost smug and knowing. I raised my brow in a question and he looked towards the house then looked back at me. The way he said it made me wonder if running was still an option, but the smug smile told me otherwise.

I let out a sigh “well, I opened this can of worms so I might as well eat them, I mean what’s the worst that can Happen!” the look on his face told me that I just doomed myself.

An Hour Later

Oh by the Moon it did get worse, so much food and so little room! Pear spent an hour making food for her family and me, I was not ready for it all. But for all my current pain, the dinner really lifted my spirits some. It was nice to be among friends again, even if I was within spitting distance of Canterlot, and I would endure much more pain to have more of this.

During the Dinner I got introduced to the rest of the family, The first was the Big red stallion called Big Macintosh. He was only fifteen and already matched me in height at six foot nine and was well built from assisting the rest of the family on the farm.

Next was the orange filly called Applejack, she was a witty little thing and as blunt as an apple to the head. At eleven she was well on her way to being the most Honest being I have ever met in my long life and I wish her well. Though Call Her Jacky at your own Parral.

Last but certainly not least was Granny Smith a Lime Green witty old mare, but don’t let her age fool you she could still whack you with the strength of even some of my battle hardened troops from my time in the Legion. If she decides to give you some advice, it is best to heed it.

The Dinner ended in a food fight, and by the time we were done cleaning up the mess the moon was hanging in the spotted blackness of the night. Pear and Bright had gone to put Macintosh and Little Jacky to bed for the night while Granny Smith had gone to bed shortly before dinner ended.

I found myself on the roof of the house a few hours later, unable to sleep and looking up into the night sky watching the moon in all it’s wonderful splendor. While I was laying there a song came to mind, one I had heard before I was brought to this land and one I had only shared with one other being on this planet some six hundred years ago. It started as a bit of humming, but it spoon turned into a sung song as the magic started taking over.

“In the Night, In the Light, a dream within a dream”

I began to sing, letting the Magic of Music take hold over me and bring out this sad but uplifting song from so long ago.

“With my eyes to the sky, I feel you staring at me”

I can feel the eyes on me, as I am joined by Pear and Bright at my sides.

“But if I awake, I know your warmth would fade to the dark”

I can feel the sadness in myself, the water forming in my eyes, as I remember memories of the past when times were good.

“So I close my eyes, and keep you in my mind and my heart”

As the magic builds, so does the music it is producing, tears trailing down my cheeks as more memories come back to me unbidden. The faces of old friends and defeated enemies alike.

“Though we try, I know I may never see you again”

The music is really picking up now, Pear and Bright singing in time with me both having tears in their eyes as the magic shares the sadness I am experiencing to them.

“Though we try, if our time spent apart will only bring us pain”

At this point the pain has driven Pear and Bright to waterfalls of tears and I can’t say I am any different as the memories and flashes of the past, both good and bad, keep coming back.

“Then I’ll use it to guide me toward the stars and their shine, and finally lay to rest all my regrets, forevermore”

I reach my hand out towards the Moon and in almost near sync so do Pear and Mac fueled on by the emotions and magic of the song. I can see all the faces, all the places, all the memories both before and after my banishment. I can feel the pain and loss of those Noble Legionaries who fought and died in the Nightmare War. I can feel the satisfaction of hunting down and Slaughtering the Nightmare Cult that brought about the near Destruction of Equestria.

I can feel the Anger and hate at Celestia for the stripping of my Titles and Honor after I had done so much for Her. The blood, Sweat and Tears rendered Moot when she Banished me from Equestria for six hundred years and for what? Well that I don’t know, not yet anyway.

The magic went on for another two minutes before ending and when it did Pear latched onto me in a death hug, sobbing and crying still. I can’t blame her, this magic has a way of reaching out and making others understand the pain that sometimes simple words can’t express.

I reach up and start petting her head and whispering words of calm until she falls asleep still latched onto me like an over tightened strap.

From my left a hand landed on my shoulder and as I looked Bright gave me a nod before laying back down.

That night three people shared the pain of one, that night a friendship was born from the suffering of another shared by the magic of music and that night, a memory would be forever forged into minds until the days they died.

Author's Note:

Well there we go! Chapter two of A Captains Lament. I had been intending to upload it sooner but between the Heat, Power Fluctuations and the Sudden Lighting Storms popping out of nowhere, I just haven't had the time.

Kinda glad though, it allowed me to spot and fix many issues and add more details to this chapter because of it!

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy it and let me know what you think! Also if you spot any issues let me know, as I know I missed something.

Comments ( 12 )

10867566
10867613
10867640

There will be more to come and I am glad you all are liking it :pinkiehappy:

Very few grammar errors but not too bad. Just a very minor amount of editing needed but still a very good story. Hope to see more in the near future :pinkiehappy:.

10867777

Errors! Where! :pinkiegasp:

if you can point them out, I will fix them when I can :pinkiehappy:

Here are the items I noticed.

From Chapter 1:

The Rebellion….. What I clusterfuck of a shitshow, started by a nightmare Cult that had a hatred of the sun princess. I still wonder to this day how they got into the Palace to kidnap her sister. I will forever wonder if I had been faster, could I have stopped what would become one of the worst wars since the Black Crystal War? Could I have saved her from what they made her?

This sounded weird but I think you meant “What a clusterfuck of a shitshow that started by…

With that he turns on the spot and leaves back though the door and shuts it.

… leaves back through the door…

I sigh and stand up from my chair, multiple joints popping as I do. I guess it’s a good excuse to put off the rest of the paperwork for the time being. I start my way towards the door and then though it and on my way to the Throne Room.

… door and then through it and on my way…

I gather my wits in preparation to go through the doors, but my right hand still falls to the Hilt of Moonbeam, the last gift from my Fiancé before she fell to the Nightmare all those years ago. I then step forward and give the left door a light push to open it and step though.

… push to open it and step through.

I have only gone through the doorway less than fifty feet before a ward trap activates and I freeze in place unable to move anything but my eyes. How, how did Moonbeam not sense the trap! She is spelled to detect these kind of magical arts!

I had only gone


… in place. Unable


How?! How did..


She has spells to…

“I was accused of Trason and Murder, among other charges, but I can say with full confidence that I DID NOT DO THESE CRIMES, to those out there among the lines you know this!” A slight cheer goes through the crowd, I have personally worked with a good number of these people and those I haven’t know of my reputation.

treason and murder, among other charges. But I can say with full confidence that I DID NOT COMMIT THESE CRIMES! To those out there among the lines, you know this!




From Chapter 2:

I see a clearing in front of me after a minute of running through a thin line of trees, I pick up my pase and leap through it. I land on the first Wolf, caving it’s skull in under my boot as the ground cracks and dust is kicked up. I slowly straighten up and walk out of the cloud of dust I created to see three more Wolves that have now fully turned to me.

…line of trees. I pick up my pace and…

I Turn to my left to look at the Stallion, only to get a Hoof to the Face, I stagger and slowly lose consensus. Before I am completely gone I can just make out the mare starting to berate the Stallion and then Darkness.

I turn to my left to look at the stallion, only to get a hoof to the face. I staggered and slowly start to lose consciousness. Before I am completely gone, I can just make out the mare starting to berate the stallion and then… Darkness.

I woke up in their Camp about two hours later, laying on a to small cot in a tent. After getting up and walking out the Stallion, who introduced himself as Bright Mac, proceeded to apologize repeatedly for the kick. I simply waved it off and told him that if he really wanted to Apologize then he can just buy me a cider, or five, down the line.

…later. Laying on a small cot…


…the stallion, who…


…wanted to apologize, then he can just buy me a cider (or five) down…


This one has small changes but you might want to look at it:

I stayed the Night and took the offered meal, it was a good night of laughing and stories that I haven’t had in a long time and I relished in it. I shared some stories from my time in the Zebra Lands and of those who I met and Befriended. While Pear bragged about her cooking and Bright regailed me with his strength. It wasn’t until very late into the night that we all called it quits and went to bed, I do not regret the lack of sleep that I got and I suspect that neither did they.

I stayed the night and took the offered meal. It was a good night of laughing and stories that I haven’t had in a long time and I relished in it. I shared some stories from my time in the Zebra Lands and of those who I met had befriended. While Pear bragged about her cooking and Bright regaled me with his strength. It wasn’t until very late into the night that we all called it quits and went to bed. I do not regret the lack of sleep that I got and I suspect that neither did they.

I soon refocued on the trail ahead of me and edge the small Village started to come into view, Whie past it was my Destination. If I was a pony my jaw would have likely dropped to the ground, the sheer amount of Apple Trees is mind boggling, stretching from the access road and too well out of sight over the hills in the distance, it's breathtaking to take in no matter who you are.

… soon refocused on the…


…me as the edge of the small village


…view, while past…


… my destination.


… ground. The sheer amount of apple trees is…


… boggling. Stretching from…

I shake my head of the memories and procide past the entry Gate and start my walk to the Farm House in the distance, a red barn sitting near it and off to the right. I can hear a soft “Thwack” coming from off into the orchards to my left and I can hear a Banjo playing from the direction of the house.

…memories and proceed past…


gate and start my walk to the farm house in the distance. A red…


… my left and a banjo playing from the…

Next was the orange filly called Applejack, she was a witty little thing and as blunt as an apple to the head. At eleven she was well on her way to being the most Honest being I have ever met in my long life and I wish her well. Though Call Her Jacky at your own Parral.

Though call her Jacky at your own peril.

I found myself on the roof of the house a few hours later, unable to sleep and looking up into the night sky watching the moon in all it’s wonderful splendor. While I was laying there a song came to mind, one I had heard before I was brought to this land and one I had only shared with one other being on this planet some six hundred years ago. It started as a bit of humming, but it spoon turned into a sung song as the magic started taking over.

… but it soon turned into a song as the…


Their might be more but these are the only ones I decided to get since they had the errors I caught more of. Just so you know, I’m no editor but this was what I could tell and I’m hoping it’s able to help :twilightblush:.

10868075
Thank you! I will go over these tomorrow (err, today as it’s 2:30 in the morning for me) and fix them all!

It’s funny, I think Google Docs hates the word “Through” as even I have noticed it’s the word it most commonly corrects to “Though” and I can’t figure out WHY!

Well I WOULD like to know what Sunbutt's deal is with what she had done in banishing him for half a millennia.

I crave more.

11190477

The next chapter is just about done, sorry my time to write as of late has been next to nothing >.<


10901010

All will be revealed in time :moustache:

what a great history , almost Made me cry , the fact that it is really cancelled:pinkiesad2::raritydespair:

Login or register to comment