• Published 3rd Aug 2020
  • 1,939 Views, 161 Comments

Starshot: Star Speaker - Tums Festival



A group of ponies accidentally activate a dormant alien spacecraft. Things only go downhill from there... Or uphill, depending on who you ask. | In Part I of their tale, the ponies figure out their ship, and Luna figures out her true potential.

  • ...
3
 161
 1,939

Requiem for an Engineer

"C-Captain, I know the events that transpired here were, well, terrible, but are you sure a direct confrontation is wise?" Doctor Whooves gulped, striding alongside an airborne Luna. He had already told her where to go, and they were quickly drawing near it.

Luna narrowed her eyes, which were currently leaking a small bit of black energy. Something that usually only happened when she was greatly losing her temper. "Wise? Perhaps not. Just? Yes."

"If the Steward is smart, she'll be waiting for us where we need to go anyway," Tempest proclaimed. “No matter what we do, we’re in for a fight.”

"Exactly," Luna said firmly. “Doctor, how long before we--”

"Wait, stop!" Doctor Whooves said, screeching the group to a halt. He pointed to an adjacent door. "The hyperdrive is dead ahead, though the Solarium should be stored here."

"Then the moment has come,” Luna said, her voice still filled with tranquil, righteous fury. "Alright, ponies! Weapons ready. If the Steward is within…"

"Captain…" Derpy said, concern in her voice. “I have… issues about this.”

Luna glanced at her, annoyed. “Of what sort?”

“It's just… Well... You’re…”

“Spit it out.”

Derpy’s eyes began to water slightly. “You’re scaring me here, okay?!”

A beat.

“The only one who should be scared is the Steward,” Tempest said. “You have nothing to worry about, my friend.”

“And that’s why I’m scared,” Derpy said. “Is this the right thing to do? Just go in there and shoot her?”

“She would do the same in our position,” Luna growled. “Her entire crew found that out the hard way.”

“But we aren’t her!” Derpy cried. “Just because space is turning out to be a brutal place doesn’t mean we have to make it worse. We should be doing the opposite! Let’s at least try to capture her, stun her, anything else, if we can.”

“It’s what Quick Card would do,” Doctor Whooves said softly, giving Luna a hopeful smile. “And it’s what I think you’ll ultimately do.”

Luna closed her eyes, breathing deeply in an attempt to calm herself down. The two of them were right, after all. And she had learned the hard way that her temper and best judgement didn't always mix.

“Ponies…” Luna said softly, the black energy leaking from her eyes subsiding. "... Do not harm her unless there is no other option."

Doctor Whooves and Derpy smiled at that, giving her a respectful nod. Tempest's stance was a bit harder to judge, though ultimately, she didn’t seem to mind.

"Alright, but if she’s in there, she’s likely to have a few of her bone walkers with her," the latter said. "Targeting them is our priority. And remember what we talked about: spread out once we’re inside. We don't want anypony getting caught in a crossfire. On your mark, captain."

Luna nodded. “Very well. Three…”

Doctor Whooves powered on his Shard Cannon.

“Two…”

Derpy flicked off her weapon’s safety, gulping nervously.

“One…”

Luna concentrated, flooding her horn with mana...

“HARK!”

And yanked the door open with her magic and flying into the room.

"Close enough," Tempest shrugged, moving in after her, Derpy and Doc Whooves in tow.

It did indeed appear to be a store room. One with brilliantly glowing barrels at the far end. There were three intact, with another having leaked most of its supply via a hole in its side. However, the remainders’ light still easily illuminated the entire room.

And in the center of it was both the Steward and four of her skeletal cronies, all armed with Shard Cannons.

Fortunately, Luna's team was much faster than them. Whether it was because of the latter's physical limitations or a lag in the Steward's control over them she didn't know. What she did know was all it took was a blast from her Beam Rifle to literally turn one’s frontal half to ash, the rest collapsing.

A split second later, Tempest opened fire, her Shard Cannon turning on its own towards one of the skeletons. A tap of the button on her chest piece was all it took to send dagger-like crystals into it, blasting it into pieces.

However, she wasn't done yet. As quickly as she had taken down the first, she flicked her eyes, and hit a button on her chest piece. The cannon quickly swivelled to the creature next to the first.

She tapped the ‘fire’ button, her cannon fired with a tremendous CRACK!, and the skeleton became no more than a series of scattered bones.

This left the fourth and final skeleton to Derpy and Doctor Whooves.

The former fired her Beam Rifle wildly at it, missing the creature and nearly hitting one of the Solarium canisters. “EEP!”

Doctor Whooves had better luck, however, with his cannon's automatic targeting systems doing the aiming for him. With another series of CRACKS! from his cannon, the zombie's bones decoupled and exploded from the point of impact, flying in every direction.

"Hah!" Derpy grinned. "Team Starshot: Two. Spooky Scary Skeletons: Zero!"

As quickly as it started, the fight was over. Whether because she was overwhelmed or had another plan in mind, the Steward hadn’t made a move.

"So, even now, you would be nothing without our technology," the Steward said coldly, her shadowy form billowing. "That which you could never hope to create yourself. When the disgusting legacy of the before-time fails you and the mask falls off, you are no more than parasites living off our rot."

"You speak to us about morality?!" Luna snapped. "After what you did?!"

"I see you've done some snooping," she growled. "Tell me, did whatever you found mention how they attacked me?" She began to pace furiously. "They, who the Deep Ones uplifted after your wretched people confined them to the fringes! They, who I loved like my own children!"

"What are you on about?" Doctor Whooves grunted, apparently having found his courage. The Steward was quite less menacing in this wide, well-lit room, after all. At least somewhat. Her very sight was still unnerving, to say the least. "We've never met them before!"

"You mean you haven't figured it out yet?" she laughed bitterly, glancing towards Luna. "I'm actually surprised. They once served you, after all."

Luna's eyes widened in shock. "So… they were originally from Equestria?"

"Our Empire is home to many species from The Garden," she explained. "Snatched from it while your eyes were averted, or traded to us when tyrants ruled." She raised a hoof. "Yet only one was worthy of being our vanguard. Only one deserved it. Or so I thought."

"This… explains quite a bit," Doctor Whooves whispered.

The Steward glanced away from them, and there was actually a tone of sorrow in her voice as she continued: "Do you have any idea how many times I was a shoulder for them to lean on? How many of their lives I saved while decks shook and fires roared? Or how many times I personally praised them in the presence of the Deep Ones? Commending their bravery, their loyalty, their ferver?"

The fire in her voice returned once more. "Yet when the time came when I needed them…. When the time came to reunite with my love... They weren't willing to sacrifice for me, despite how much I sacrificed for them."

Luna was unmoved. "You speak like a parent who thinks their child 'owes them' for their love. I have never been one to agree with the sentiment. However, even if I did, what you asked of them was too much."

"What I asked was much less than others have," the creature said flatly. "Though no task is too great when in service of Deep Ones."

"Even if that were true," Doctor Whooves said pensively. "Would that task have been for them, or for you?"

She shifted her gaze. "It would have ultimately, so there is no difference. Stay your tongue among matters you know nothing of, Child of Gallopfree."

“I truly think have me confused for somepony else,” Doctor Whooves said, skepticism lacing his tone. “Also, I’m pretty sure ‘Gallopfree’ is an indie rock band.”

“Yeah, are you just making stuff up?” Derpy asked.

Tempest furrowed her brow. “No, I don't think so. She believes what she’s saying: don’t you, Steward?”

“There is no reason to lie when the truth is so sublime,” she replied. “Though leave it to heretics to only believe what’s before their eyes.”

“I don’t care about your beliefs,” Tempest said. “I care about where they lead you. Take it from somepony who knows: these rationalizations you're doing… they won't hold up to even your own scrutiny in time. The longer you don't look reality in the eye, the harder it'll hit when you finally do."

"I don't need a lecture from a lower being among lower beings," she hissed, gazing at Tempest's shattered horn. "One who can't even utilize the arcane filth of the before-time."

Tempest gave her a death glare. Fortunately, however, Luna didn't need to stop her from attacking. The former held herself back.

"I, too, am done with talk," Luna said coldly. "Here is 'what's going down'. You will surrender to us and we will take you to the Starshot as our prisoner. You will stay with us until we return to Equis. Once there, you will stand trial for your crimes."

"You can't be serious!" she laughed, her grin finally returning. "Surrender to you? Bow to your pathetic, heretical excuses for laws?!"

"That… would be a bit unorthodox," Doctor Whooves said. "The equivalent of taking somepony from another nation to trial for a crime committed there, to be honest."

Derpy shook her head, disappointment lacing her eyes once more. "Doc, do you really think her own people would care about what she did? Now that we know what they're like?"

"Probably not," the Doctor sighed.

"Indeed," Luna said. "And always remember: laws may be different in other worlds, or in different points of time, but justice will always be justice."

"How poignant," the Steward giggled. "But what makes you think I'd even consider this?"

"Because there's only so many ways this can end," Luna said. "Either with you defeating us, us defeating you and leaving you here to rot, or what we just said. You won't be doing the former, so if I were you, I'd take the latter"

"Arrogance," she growled. "Pure, unfiltered, arrogance. What makes you think I couldn't kill you all in the blink of an eye? I killed far more before, and they actually knew how to use those weapons you're holding."

She glanced at Derpy, who blushed slightly. “I forgot to breath in. My bad?”

"Because if you could take us, you would have already," Tempest continued for Luna, a hint of a smirk on her. "The logs were detailed. Your crew were caught off guard. They didn't know about your creepy necromancer trick. We do. And you know that we know. All you’re doing now is stalling for time - trying to think of a way out of this. Haven't thought of anything yet, have you?"

Luna couldn't help but raise her eyebrows, impressed.

The Steward appeared to be somewhat as well, as for once, she was left speechless for a moment. “I… you don’t know that! I could just be trying to find out what you know!”

“Well, we’ve given you all you’re gonna get,” Tempest said. “So by all means… we’re waiting.”

Time ticked by at a snail’s pace as the group stared each other down. Tempest’s argument was a good one, and Luna found it to be the most likely case. However, there was still a chance the Steward had a card to play. After a minute dragged by, however, that seemed less likely. The Steward continued to stand, motionless, save for her eyes, which continued to flick about the room; as if she was still trying to think of something.

‘Best not to let her do so.

“I take it you accept our terms,” Luna said, before glancing at Tempest and jostling her Beam Rifle slightly. “Does this weapon have a stun setting? Such as the phasers from Space Trek? I assume even creatures as brutal as these would have use for prisoners.”

“Affirmative,” Tempest nodded. “Button on the left near the barrel toggles it.”

That was all Luna needed. With a satisfying ‘click’, she set the weapon to stun and took aim.

“Wait!” the creature called.

“Hm?”

She held a look of great confusion. “What is this… Space Trek?”

“The way things should be out here,” Doctor Whooves said. “And not the way they are.”

“Quite so,” Luna said.

And with a muzzle flash, another beam fired forth from her rifle, this time in a blue color. It seemed the Steward had truly given up, as she didn’t attempt to dodge it or offer any sort of resistance. Instead, she took the brunt of the blast, her shadowy form collapsing to the ground.

Something unexpected happened then, however: the shadow receded slightly, revealing what was underneath it…

Both Luna and Doctor Whooves gasped in shock. The former had seen this type of pony before, but not for eons. And apparently, the good doctor was in the same boat. The funny thing was that Luna had thought of them earlier, but had quickly discounted it as impossible.

Yet as she gazed upon its form, she vowed to stop making that mistake from henceforth. For laying before her, with its bat-like wings hanging to the side and with fuzzy bits at the tip of its ears on display, was none other than...

“A thestral?!”