• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 5,358 Views, 137 Comments

My Little Argonian: Family is Sacred - Warren Peace



After breaking the fifth Tenet, an assassin from the dark brotherhood gets sent to Equestria.

  • ...
16
 137
 5,358

A Walk in the Woods (Pt1|Ch7)

Chapter Seven: A Walk in the Woods

“You do?” I asked, my eyes widening slightly in surprise.

Fluttershy released me, leaning away to look into my face without having to strain her head, “Why wouldn’t I?” she asked, a bit taken aback, “Everypony makes mistakes sometimes. Besides, what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t forgive my other friends?

“After all, friends forgive friends.”

I was quiet for a second, “Friends forgive friends...” I parroted.

“Friends forgive friends,” Fluttershy asserted with a smile...

“Friends forgive friends, it’s what we do,”

Fluttershy embraced me again as she started to sing, her gentle grasp light like a feather on my chest, filling it with a pleasant warmth.

“Friends forgive friends, and I forgive you.”

I could have sworn that I felt regretful when she released me again, pointing a hoof down towards the floor towards two squirrels.

“If you’re willing to apologize,”

“When you just made a mistake.”

The first squirrel approached the second, who appeared sad. It tapped its fellow on the shoulder, chittering something back while avoiding the sad eyes of the second creature.

“Then who am I to criticize,”

“And not say that it’s okay?”

The second squirrel smiled, wiping its nose with a paw and giving its friend a hug, chittering something in reply. The first returned the smile, hugging the other back.

“Because friends forgive friends, it’s what we do,”

I turned back to Fluttershy and she to me, meeting my uncertain frown with a bright smile.

“Friends forgive friends, and I forgive you.”

Fluttershy took off, swooping over to the door and opening it. She gestured with a hoof for me to follow and I complied, Twilight right on my tail with the other critters.

“If you said something you didn’t mean,”

“And you’d like to take it back.”

The day was in full bloom, bright and sunny with a newfound warmth to it all. Fluttershy trotted down the dirt path, stopping by a series of bird houses nestled in a skinny tree.

“An apology will wash all wounds clean,”

“And set a friendship back on track.”

She held up a hoof and a brightly colored blue jay landed on it. She gave the bird a gentle, loving nuzzle, turning towards me. The bird left her and hovered in front of me for a second, smiling before it flew off.

“Because friends forgive friends, it’s what we do,”

I didn’t flinch or try to pull away as Fluttershy flitted back to me and gave me another hug. My arms, at my sides, twitched, trying to pull themselves upwards towards Fluttershy and return the hug. I held them back...half-heartedly.

“Friends forgive friends, and I forgive you.”

Fluttershy let go again and took to the sky, trails of songbirds singing after her and all of the animals present heading towards the spot where she was landing. Twilight and I followed.

“If you’re feeling sorry because you”

“Upset one of your friends.”

Fluttershy looked over all the happy animals present, her tone like that of a loving mother giving some advice. Twilight and I stopped at the edge of the ring of animals, listening in as if part of the crowd.

“Chances are all you have to do,”

“Is say sorry to make amends.”

My eyes flickered to Twilight for a moment, her body looked at ease, but her face showed a subdued uncertainty. Fluttershy rose slowly into the air, the colorful songbirds flying like ribbons around her in entrancing patterns, the light playing off her fur beautifully.

“Friends forgive friends, it’s what we do,”

“Friends forgive friends, and I forgive you.”

Fluttershy hovered in the air, the low sun making a halo around her head. The multi-colored birds raced around her with their song, creating a cacophony of color and sound as they filled the air around her.

“Friends forgive friends, it’s what we do!”

“Friends forgive friends, and I-I-I-I for-give yo-o-o-ou!”

And with the suddenness that had borne it, everything snapped back to normal. The animals around her dispersed in every direction as if nothing had happened. The bright smile Fluttershy wore faded back to an equally kind, but less bright version.

“I...I mean we are friends, right?” Fluttershy asked, descending slowly to the ground and trotting slowly up to me. She fixed me with an inquiring look, hoping to confirm her belief.

“I...” I began, halting as I considered what she’d asked.

Are...we? I wondered. Fluttershy had taken me into her own home, cared for me and helped to fix my wounds. She’d done more for me than anyone back in Skyrim ever had...or at least than the majority had. And yet...

You didn’t seem to have a problem lying to her face a few moments ago, my mind pointed out.

That was... I began, thought process dying as I couldn't find a word to use.

Different? How so? You didn’t mean your apology, but you don’t know whether or not the creature that you lied to is your friend?

“Yes, of course we’re friends,” I said, for once not entirely sure whether or not I was lying. I tried to put on a smile, but felt my face warp into a grimace.

“Oh, good,” Fluttershy said, her smile brightening a bit.

“Do you mind if I...borrow our friend here for a moment?” Twilight asked, an underlying edge to the friendly mask that her tone wore.

“Well I guess,” Fluttershy replied, backpedalling almost immediately afterwards, “I mean, if that’s okay with him,” she looked to me for confirmation. I spared Twilight a glance.

“I see no harm in it,” I admitted, and if I turn out to be wrong then it’s not like I can’t handle it, I didn’t say, fingers tingling by my knives.

“Oh, well okay then,” Fluttershy said, smile brightening again, “You two have fun, then. I need to go make sure all my animal friends are okay,” she started to go and Twilight turned on me, only to freeze as Fluttershy turned back, “Before I go, is there anything I can get you? Are you hungry?” she asked.

I shook my head, “I’m fine...thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Fluttershy smiled, taking to the air and heading back towards her cottage.

Twilight waited to make sure that Fluttershy was really going before she turned towards me again.

“Fluttershy accepted your apology. So while I didn’t entirely buy it, for her sake I won’t call horseapples,” she growled quietly, trying to look as menacing as a pony could, “but if you ever hurt one of my friends again, I won’t be giving you any warnings. You got that, Mister Falíe?”

“So long as they don’t start anything, I won’t have to finish it,” I growled back, voice as icy as the winds of Eastmarch. I turned to head back to the forest when I remembered something, “You know my name,” I observed as I turned back to Twilight, a hand twitching by its respective knife.

So? What’s the big deal? my mind asked.

How does she know my name? I haven’t told anyone, or thing, my name since I got here, I replied, eyeing Twilight warily.

What? Do you think she’s a daedra or something? Maybe she read your mind?

Maybe, I replied.

“I do,” she replied, “The cutie mark crusaders came to Golden Oaks library yesterday looking for a book on sabotage and said that someone named Aram Falíe had given them the idea of getting a sabotage cutie mark!”

I couldn’t help but give a ghost of a smile, “Children and their games,” I muttered, a flash of something berating my vision for but a moment.

“Children and their games!? Are you crazy!?” Twilight yelled, almost instantly realizing the volume she’d just used, she cringed and looked back towards the cottage. Fortunately for her, Fluttershy was nowhere in sight, “Ponies could’ve gotten hurt if they tried something like that!” she growled in a quiet voice, “Why on earth did you reinforce an idea like that?”

My smile turned into an annoyed growl at her words, “They’re children for Sithis’ sake! What are they going to do? Children have overactive imaginations, what harm is there in letting them try out their fantasies?”

“What harm is there!?” Twilight snapped back, voice raising just a bit again, “They were trying to get cutie marks in sa-bo-tage!” she sounded out as if it’d make me understand better. It didn’t, “Do you have any idea what that means?”

“That they’ll play around like children do in their games! Perhaps get under the feet of careless adults!” I growled back, “You’re insane to think that those three younglings could cause any major harm.”

I’m insane!?” Twilight exclaimed, taken aback for a second, “You don’t know these fillies like I do, mister Falíe! Just last week they tried to get cutie marks in cow herding and almost destroyed Ponyville with the ensuing stampede!” she continued, looking away for a second and muttering, “again...”

I gave a small snort of disgust.

Sometimes I wonder if the elderly are blinder than the children that they sire, I grumbled mentally, I’ve wasted enough time on this fool, let her believe what lies she wants to, she’s wasted enough of my time with her babble.

I turned away from Twilight, still glaring at her over my shoulder as I made my way back towards the forest, still intent on learning about the local flora.

“Where are you going?” Twilight asked, anger still sitting in her voice.

“That’s not your concern,” I replied, taking my gaze from her once I’d stumbled a ways away, one hand lingering near its respective knife.

“Ugh! ‘It’s not your concern’!” she mimicked me, “You know what? Fine, it’s not my concern! Go have fun eating fearcap mushrooms in one of the most dangerous forests in Equestria!”

I didn’t bother with a reply, not looking back as I headed back into the forest. Had I decided to look back I probably would have seen Twilight contemplate something with a fierce scowl and, right as I disappeared from sight, give a sigh of defeat and follow after me into the twilight darkness of the Everfree forest.

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

The Everfree Forest...

The same group of fearcap mushrooms that I’d found earlier bid me good day as I passed them by, following the same path that I had taken into the forest earlier. Again the gnarled tree branches and leaves strangled the light entering the forest, choking it down to a semi-darkness.

Whether it was by my presence or not, few sounds met my ears. There were no calls of wild animals as they hunted and were hunted, no breeze to tug at the leaves and their branches, no gurgling of a thin stream that pierced through the soft soil underfoot.

I pulled a branch out of my way as I pushed onwards and my eyes caught onto a field of blue between two trees ahead. Continuing onwards and between the two trees, I came across a large field of blue flowers.

“Wow,” I commented, scanning over the large bed. With this many at my disposal I’d have no shortage of whatever effects they possessed.

As with before, I slowly settled down into a seated position before the mass of blue flowers and waved my hand over one of them. My ring lit up brightly, bringing a ghost of a smile to my face.

Now we’re talking! I thought, reaching out to...

“I would not do that if I were you. Touch, that is, those leaves of blue.”

I flinched at the sudden addition of a voice behind me, leaping to my feet and twisting around. Again my cast threw me off balance, but I threw out my arms and steadied myself before drawing my knives. I gave a quick exhale of relief that I hadn’t ended up kissing the ground again.

Well it took you long enough to finally get the hang of fighting with a cast, my mind commented, I ignored it for now.

My eyes locked onto the source of the rhyming voice. It was a pony-looking creature wearing a darkly colored robe. Its face was held by shadow, out of which two glowing eyes regarded me. I stared back at the creature, waiting for it to make the first move. For a time the creature stood still, happy to just watch me as I watched it.

Almost a minute ticked by before the creature’s stance relaxed. It reached up and pulled back its hood, revealing a striped face and intelligent blue eyes.

“Many creatures I’ve seen in my travels afar. Yet I can’t place a name to the one that you are,” her eyes flicked to my twin knives and she took a few steps forwards, eyes scanning over me with curiosity, “either way, you’ve nothing to fear from me,” she halted a few paces away, still out of slashing distance, “unless you are not friendly.”

I remained silent and sized her up. She was no larger than any of the other ponies I’d seen here, though the stripes part and the lack of bright colors was an interesting contrast. Aside from the robes she wore a series of rings around her neck and one foreleg, both of her ears also sported golden jewelry.

Well it looks like some of these creatures do wear clothing after all, my mind noted.

As to any weapons I was sure that the robe could easily hide something, but as far as I could tell there were not any suspicious shapes poking through it. This, of course, was no sure assurance that she was completely unarmed.

“Whether or not I’m friendly is based off of whether or not you are,” I said, not letting my guard down.

The creature was silent for a moment, eyeing me up and down again, “Fair enough, I do suppose. A simple question, though, I wish to propose. You are a stranger here, you must agree. So what do you seek in the great Everfree?”

“That’s not your concern,” I replied, flexing my fingers as they rested by my sides, “now I ask that you leave.”

The creature raised an eyebrow, “If you wish for me to leave you be, tell what it is you seek to me.”

An animal cried out far off in the ensuing, steely silence that followed as I considered my options. I didn’t dare attack her here and now, not knowing what I was up against...

Even then, what can a crippled argonian stand up against anyways? my mind taunted, just tell her that you’re here for knowledge or something, what’s she gonna do?

That’s exactly what I don’t know, fool! I snapped back.

So you have a better idea? Just stand here and try to see who can hold their tongue the longest?

Annoyed that I wasn’t able to instantly come up with a response, I went over my options again. An all out attack was certainly not going to happen. Additionally, it wasn’t as if I was going to be running anywhere any time soon.

My eyes flicked quickly to my cast, Infernal object, I growled mentally, though without it my leg wouldn’t heal right, I admitted with a mental sigh, a flash of yellow and pink, of teal eyes, zipped across my vision for a fraction of an instant. I stored the thoughts away and brought my gaze back to the real world.

The creature continued her quiet look, waiting for my reply.

“Knowledge,” I admitted.

“Knowledge? Hm, I would ask for proof, but in your words, I do hear the truth,” the creature replied, eyes looking over me once more as if re-evaluating. Her gaze turned to the blue bed of flowers, “Much of local flora, do I know. Far much more, though, can I show.”

Had my ears had the capability, they would have perked up at this.

So she’s an alchemist, then? my mind commented.

I glanced away from her for a moment, eyeing the blue flowers before my gaze returned to the creature, “what’s the price of knowledge around here?”

The creature’s eyes found mine once again, a hint of confusion crossed her face and her voice was taken aback when she replied: “Of bits and baubles I do not require. All that I ask is you listen and desire.”

“Desire what?” I inquired, do these creatures fear currency for some reason? First that Rarity creature fixes my armor for free and now this?

A poor argonian questions not having to pay for something? Just when I thought I’d seen it all…oh, and you forgot Fluttershy giving you free room and board, you ungrateful idiot.

Oh, to Oblivion with you! I snarled back.

“Desire the knowledge that I bestow,” the creature replied, ending my mental battle, “So that mentally, you may grow,” her head swiveled back to the blue flowers, “You almost did touch poison joke. Its leaves of blue are not a joke.”

My stance relaxed just a bit, my eyes following hers to the flowers, “What sort of potions and poisons can you use them for?” I inquired.

“Very few tonics and brews there may be, for to cultivate this plant is hard, you see,” she replied, turning her body to the bed of plants and gesturing me closer.

And so began our lesson.

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

Later that day...

Zecora, as she called herself, was well versed in the art of alchemy. So much at times that I found myself annoyed at the fact that she knew better than I did. Of the many things she went over as the sun traced a path through the sky, a few stood out to me in particular.

One such plant, drakesbeard, was a blood red moss that was used as a powerful spice. However, if ground into a fine dust it created a powerful irritant that sent me into a sneezing fit and stung my eyes like a fiery set of needles. Additionally, if it was ground into a paste it could be used to, albeit painfully, staunch the bleeding of wounds.

A young root from one of the many trees of the forest bled a sweet, golden liquid that Zecora confirmed had very powerful painkilling properties both when consumed or rubbed on anything from burns to cuts.

A small, black and white mushroom called skullstalk was highly toxic. The cap was smaller than the width of my little finger, meaning spotting it was difficult. It had no taste or smell, something that I took Zecora’s word for, meaning it could be slipped into food without the taster’s knowledge, something that brought a ghost of a smile to my lips.

A reed that grew in stagnant green water that stank of death tasted equally foul, but Zecora assured me that the colorless fluid excreted when one chewed on it was a powerful anti-toxin. The reed itself, however, was toxic if swallowed...or ground into a paste and set into a weeping wound.

Darkness was fast approaching as Zecora led me back to a small hut, a satchel that she’d given me filled to the bursting point with a mass of different alchemical goodies. She halted a set of yards from her home, crickets already singing quietly in the brush around us, and turned to me, eyes ever-inquisitive.

“The bow that you wear is of ebony, this I can see. And the knives at your sides, they are equally deadly,” she commented, “neither are tools I would often see, that someone like a herbalist would carry.”

I remained silent.

“I ask one last thing before I bid you adieu. That thing is simply: what is it you do?” her gaze burned into mine as the sun shed an orange light through the swaying, evil trees, “do not think to lie to me, for a thing I shan't fall for is mere trickery.”

I considered for a moment. Zecora was certainly a helpful creature, but so were most of the alchemists of Skyrim, and I wouldn’t be caught dead telling one of them I was an assassin. That said, telling her was out of the question.

But it still wouldn’t a good idea lie to her, my mind warned, to have her suspicious of you wouldn’t be a very smart thing to have.

I gave a conceding frown in response and considered for a moment, “I help others with certain problems that they have...with each other usually,” I replied, coming half-way with the truth.

Her eyes traced from my eyes to my weapons again, no doubt noting as my fingers twitched by my knives, but otherwise remained relaxed at my sides. They flickered back to me once more, her face an unreadable mask as her eyes judged me.

“The truth you speak, no matter how weak,” she admitted, “I trust you to have a good night. Be sure that you do not let the bedbugs bite.” she turned from me and headed to her hut, leaving me on my own.

I watched her for a moment before deciding to take the risk and turn my back on her to set out through the forest...and instantly realized that I had no idea where I was going.

Zecora had taken me along a winding path through the forest, one that I had not paid attention to in light of everything that she’d told me of the plant life. I grumbled a curse at myself before Zecora’s rhyming voice stepped in behind me.

“If you should find you’ve lost your way, then know you’ve a guide not far away,” I turned back towards her as she indicated off to my right, “while perhaps you were distracted by my tale, I have long noticed that you’ve picked up a tail.”

I frowned at the use of the same word twice, something that she’d yet to do, but a crashing of brushes where she’d indicated sent a shot of adrenaline through my system. My hands fell to my knives in a heartbeat as something purple leaped out and…

“Wait, you knew I was following him all this time?” Twilight asked, surprise with a hint of annoyance licking at her features, “and you didn’t say anything?”

Zecora chuckled, “Your study of him from the dark was intense. I did not wish to interrupt your reconnaissance. But now many things there are that I must do, chief among them I know is a stew,” the mysterious creature continued, trotting the rest of the way to her hut and, without another word, entering and closing the door behind her.

I turned to Twilight with a growl.

“You were following me?”

Author's Note:

I've got a love-hate sorta relationship with this chapter. On one hand I had a blast writing everything before the woods, that song in particular, was really fun to write.

HOWEVER, the woods scene was a massive pain in the mother-freakin' ass to write. It's the whole friggin' reason that this chapter took many months to finally finish. Even then it would've taken even longer if I hadn't decided to write the cop-out that it now is (which is the biggest reason that I don't like this chapter).

But now that this road bump is over, I should be able to work faster.