• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 5,348 Views, 137 Comments

My Little Argonian: Family is Sacred - Warren Peace



After breaking the fifth Tenet, an assassin from the dark brotherhood gets sent to Equestria.

  • ...
16
 137
 5,348

On the Subject of Outfits (Pt2|Ch5)

Chapter Five: On the Subject of Outfits

I brought the axe down in a solid stroke, the tool splitting the log and biting into the stump beneath it. Taking a moment, I let the axe sit in the log and wiped away a few drops of sweat from my brow. The split wood was tossed into a pile and I grabbed another log, pulling my daedric knife from the stump and placing the fresh log down where it had been.

“Do take a break from that, dear!” my wife called as she stepped up behind me, offering a waterskin to slake my thirst.

I smiled at the sight of her, her green scales reflecting beautifully against forests of Falkreath. Our home sat a short distance away; It was small, but we didn’t need a big home. Her scales were soft and warm against mine as she passed me the waterskin.

I slaked my thirst with the sweet mead within, wiping my mouth and passing the tankard back to her.

“Why don’t you come inside, dear? It’s almost time for dinner.”

“In a little bit,” I agreed, leaning in to kiss her. Her lips were sweet like apples, and so I kissed her longer than I’d intended. She giggled as we separated, “I just want to finish up here,” I continued, gesturing behind me with my knife to the few logs that still needed chopping.

“Well all right,” my wife amended, smiling as she moved back to the house, “I’ll have our little one wash up, then.”

Our little one, my smile only grew at the mention of our child, my heart fluttering in my chest. I watched as my wife strolled to the door, casting me a quick smile before entering.

Turning back to the remaining logs, the man I called brother drove his sword into my chest. The blade passed clean through my old leather armor, knocking me back a step as the air was torn from my lungs. Warmth blossomed where the blade met flesh and I collapsed to my knees.

“No!” I choked out past a mouth that felt as if filled with tundra cotton, yet he just stood there, wearing his muffled iron armor, his second blade still in hand, face cast in shadow, “No!

He knelt before me, silent, and placed his free hand on my shoulder, using his second blade to point off behind me. Though my chest heaved as I struggled to get air past a throat clogged with fear, I turned my head.

Black smoke filled the sky as my home burned. I tried to choke out a cry, but it died in the back of my throat and only a whimper escaped me. The roof and walls had collapsed, and from within my wife and child watched me with forlorn eyes as they burned.

“You could’ve had this…” he whispered in my ear, “...but you killed me…”

And then everything froze, all of it. The flames ceased their endless dancing, the smoke stopped billowing, and the choking terror in the back of my throat vanished as I realized it was a dream. I turned my head, spying…him just standing there as he had, yet the shadow over his face was gone and I turned away in fear of it.

Standing on uncertain feet, I poked the sword hilt sticking out of my chest and it vaporized into a million tiny shards that danced up and away on the wind. The shards rose further and further until my eyes met Nirn’s three moons resting in the sky...but that wasn’t right, Nirn only had two moons!

Yet the third...it was white and cratered almost like...Equestria’s?

“What in the unholy name of Sithis?” I wondered aloud.

“It is as we had feared,” a powerful and regal voice spoke from behind me, “You’re tormenting yourself, Aram Falíe of Skyrim.”

I wheeled about, a sour expression crossing my face as I faced Princess Luna once again.

“You!” I spat, anger rising on my tongue. I jabbed a finger back towards the frozen flames, “What did you do!?”

Luna approached, passing...his frozen form with an inquisitive glance and I kept my eyes firmly on hers. She trotted around to my side and I turned to face her as she eyed the house curiously.

“This terror is not of our doing,” Luna replied, looking to me, “In fact, we crafted this dream to be a pleasant one, from your own fondest memories.”

“My memories!?” I growled, “This never happened!”

“No,” Luna shook her head once, “but you once loved another just like her,” she pointed to the argonian female inside the house, “And we only guessed that such a relationship would include offspring. You favored this region,” she eyed the scenery with a pleasant smile, “and quite rightfully so, tis a beautiful scene.”

“And the fire!?” I snapped, “A-and…” I jabbed a finger to where I knew he was waiting.

“And the axe into the knife, the waterskin into the tankard, the armor,” Luna gestured with a hoof, “That was you.”

I remained silent.

“At first we wondered as to why you were suffering so many nightmares. Perhaps the stress of travelling to a new world, perhaps it was a signature of your species, we didn’t know,” Luna continued, “So we...conducted an experiment.”

“Why!?” I demanded, still running on my fumes of anger.

“We told you once before: we are the shepherd of dreams. It is our duty to ensure all those in Equestria have a restful sleep,” a frown creased her lips, “Yet as we said: you proved a troubled sleeper, so we took the liberty of conjuring you what was supposed to be a pleasant dream,” she paused, looking across the frozen chaos, “Then you tore it down and turned it into yet another nightmare. Or, rather, he did,” I didn’t turn to look as she gestured to the frozen man.

“No...how...how could he do that!?” I snarled, throwing a finger out as I took a step towards the Princess, “He’s...he’s…” yet I couldn’t say it.

“Dead?” Luna asked, “We figured as much.”

“Then…how!?”

Luna looked towards him for a moment, eyes sizing up his frozen form, “Who is he? How did he...”

“That doesn’t concern you!” I snapped back, cutting her off in fear that her questions would trigger something in my mind. My brain was already boiling with conflicting emotions of rage and sorrow, not happy with the events that had unfolded before me. I didn’t want any more.

“If you wish for help, then it does concern us,” Luna raised a brow.

“I never said I wanted your fornicating help!” I spat back.

Luna shrugged with her wings, “All the same, you do need it if you ever wish to dream of nicer things. Especially if…he is a tantabus.”

“A what?” I scowled at her.

“Tell us this,” Luna began, “Did you once do something horrible? Perhaps concerning that man?” her eyes bored into my soul, “Was it you that killed him?”

I tore my gaze away, “It wasn’t my fault…” I muttered.

“Ah,” Luna replied knowingly, “A tantabus is a creature of nightmares, usually self-conjured after a traumatic event, though it varies from person to person. What it does, in laymare’s terms, is force the dreamer to suffer constant nightmares concerning that specific traumatic event.

“And before you ask, no, we cannot will it away. A tantabus may only be conquered by overcoming the trauma that sired it. In short,” she tapped my chest, “only you may stop these nightmares, because it is only you who is causing them.”

Again, I remained silent. I didn’t wish to think about what she was suggesting.

“Tis much to take in, we understand,” Luna commented, “Though again: we are willing to help if you wish to conquer that which plagues your dreams.”

“You looked into my memories,” I changed the subject as a sudden worry struck me. If she’d seen my past with the dark brotherhood, knew what Sithis had in store for me here...my fingers curled around my knife hilts as I wondered if killing Luna here would be at all effective.

“Glanced is a better word,” Luna replied, looking away with a sudden sheepish smile, “the mind is a sacred place, and it is not our right to delve there without consent. We merely took a quick peek at what pleasantness we could find...what little of it there was.”

That gave me pause. If that was the case then firstly my secrets were safe, but secondly...I wondered why my fonder memories of him had not surfaced instead. Yet that was a dangerous train of thought, and with a quick glance to the man’s frozen form I banished it from my mind.

“Don’t do that again,” I snapped, my harsh tone more to keep my mind away from spiraling thoughts than for any real anger.

“Very well,” Luna replied, maintaining her calm air. Her wings lifted from her back as she began flapping them, the third moon lighting up brightly as she ascended towards it, “We wish you the best of luck, Aram Falíe...you’ll need it.”

0 . o . 0

I awoke with a start, hands darting to my knives. Yet I only felt my scaled sides and the soft sheets on top of me. Eyes darting about, I recognized the room I’d taken for myself in our sanctuary.

Some dream, huh? my mind commented.

I only gave a mutter as way of reply, throwing off the sheets and hopping out of my bed.

Other than the bed and a small, simple table the room was barren of anything but dust. My belongings sat on the stone floor at the foot of my bed, there was no need to waste septims…bits I reminded myself, on useless furniture.

Dressing, I gathered my knives, bow, and arrows and made my way down towards the kitchen, smelling hot food as I did so. As I followed my nose, I reflected over the past two months since we’d taken the sanctuary from the dragon.

It had not been as easy as I’d liked carting goods from Ponyville to the castle, but we’d managed to stock up on everything needed. New beds to sleep on, facilities and foodstuffs, toiletries and even simple bathing quarters. We even managed to shore up some of the more damaged parts of the castle to keep them from deteriorating further.

That wasn’t to say there weren’t any problems, though. I frowned as I remembered some of the questions my acolytes got from the townsfolk in Ponyville. Where were they taking these things? What were they going to use that for? Did they need help with the installation? Were they going to throw a party...that last one gave me pause, but I just shook my head and continued on my way.

So far we hadn’t had to kill anyone, but I’d be a liar if I said we hadn’t come close a few times. A few of the more inquisitive ponies had found themselves waking up in hospitals. But our secrets were still safe, and nopony was the wiser.

Dobroe utro,” Choc greeted, expression stony as ever as she went back to stirring a pot.

“Good morning,” I greeted back after a moment, recognising the phrase. Sniffing the air, I eyed the pot she was stirring, “Kashka again?”

Da,” she replied, and I recognized the Stalliyi word for ‘yes.’

The main dining hall for the castle’s previous owners had mostly caved in and collapsed. Fortunately, the kitchens had been largely untouched by the sands of time and had been easy to renovate. Great, oaken tables had long since disintegrated and so we’d bought smaller ones that comfortably sat the four of us. Dusty old ovens and stoves had been repaired, and the pantry had been stocked and enchanted by Moonbeam.

If nothing else, he’ll be useful when it comes to enchanting weapons and armor, my mind commented as I frowned at the thought of the cowardly unicorn.

My acolytes had progressed well throughout our stay at the castle; Rain was now easily able to sneak up on me without a sound. Choc had been taught to be quieter though she still preferred her strength over stealth. And while Moonbeam had showed improvement in fighting and sneaking he was still squeamish any time killing arose as a subject. However he did prove his worth in the realm of magic, showing skill at enchanting objects.

“Morning!” Rain greeted, trotting into the room. Moonbeam was close on her tail, shuffling in tiredly with his mane a mess.

Speak of the daedra… my mind commented as I eyed Moonbeam.

Dobroe utro, Moonbeam, Rain,” Choc replied, turning off the stove, “Food is soon.”

0 . o . 0

“Again,” I said as Rain and Moonbeam separated, the former grinning as the latter tucked his tail.

Rain charged at a frightful Moonbeam, wings snapping forth in tandem. Two balanced blades, both made of wood, launching at the unicorn. One flew high and one flew low, making it harder for Moonbeam to counteract them.

His horn flashed and he winced as one of the missiles bounced off his telekinetic strike, the other was dodged by a quick sidestep. Yet Rain was upon him before he was able to secure his footing, ducking under the mouth-swing of his baton and striking his throat with an upwards slash.

And she didn’t stop there as she rammed her left shoulder into his breast. Twisting, she wrapped a forehoof around his neck and slammed him into the grass. The wind went out of him in a gasp, baton falling away from his lips as she kept him pinned with a hoof.

“Dead!” Rain declared, spitting her wooden dagger into a forehoof, an exhilarated sparkle in her eyes.

“I…” Moonbeam gasped, trying to get air back into his lungs, “...I give up...I give up!”

“You’re dead,” I scowled, arms crossed, “You can’t give up when you’re dead. Recover.”

Rain offered a hoof, which Moonbeam reluctantly took, and pulled the unicorn to his hooves. The two spread out again, turning to face each other. I waited a moment, watching them; the corners of Rain’s lips had a slight pull to them, eyes gleaming like that of a wild animal’s. Moonbeam’s legs trembled, tail tucked and ears flat in clear discomfort as he eyed Rain with an anxious expression.

“Again.”

This time Rain feinted her throws as she charged, but although he flinched Moonbeam didn’t blast the empty air with his magic. Rather, he retreated quickly, jerking his head to the side as he telekinetically yanked Rain’s forehooves out from under her. Caught off guard, Rain tumbled with a muffled shout, not losing her mouth-held dagger.

Moonbeam hesitated, startled that his strike had actually worked. Then, as he realized it had, he charged in with a whinny, raising his baton for a strike. Rain rolled to her side, one of her wings snapping out at Moonbeam’s charge and a throwing knife bounced off Moonbeam’s snout.

The unicorn gave a shout, losing his baton as Rain used her momentum to roll to her hooves. She rushed his flank, her second throwing knife launching past Moonbeam’s telekinesis and striking his ribs.

“Wait! Stop, stop!” he yelled as Rain leapt, tackling him to the ground. She planted herself atop him, sitting on his stomach and using her forehooves to shove his to the grass. That taken care of, she leaned in and pressed her dagger to his throat.

“‘furrender?” she asked through her weapon.

“Yes, yes, I give up!” Moonbeam winced back, hind legs kicking in the air. He let out an ‘oof’ as Rain hopped off him, rolling over and standing.

“If you surrender, you might as well be dead,” I chastised.

“No, if I surrender they’ll take me to jail!” Moonbeam snapped back, though his courage withered under the glare I gave him, “And I can escape from jail.”

“Really, everyone will take you to jail?” I asked with a scowl, “What if they’ve got a knife and they find you standing over their wife’s corpse? Do you think they’ll take you to jail, then?”

“What!?” Moonbeam exclaimed, taking a short step back, “That...that’s horrible! Why in the world would I be killing somepony’s wife!?”

“Because you were paid to!” I snapped back, annoyed by the stupidity of the question, “Maybe a secret lover wanted her dead, maybe she was a fornicator having an affair, it’s beside the point!” I hissed, “I’m here to train you three to be assassins but you can hardly hurt a damn fly!”

“I can hurt a fly!” Moonbeam countered with a snap of his tail, “I just...another person…”

“You had to have known what you were getting into when you came to me two months ago,” I growled with arms crossed, “Why couldn’t the creature of stone have sent me someone useful!?”

“Hey,” Rain interjected, garnering my attention, “So maybe Moonbeam isn’t a killer. He’s got other uses, and he’s one of my friends,” she defended, “he belongs here just as much as I do.”

“The dark brotherhood isn’t in the market to make friends,” I countered with a frown, “We’re in the market to make bodies, and if you can’t even do that then you’re next to useless.”

“I…” Rain began, scowling with a huff as she tried to think of something to say, “There’s been countless times where Moonbeam’s proven his worth to me,” she finally managed, “None of us would be here right now if he wasn’t a part of the group.”

She’s got you there, my mind commented.

Be quiet, I grumbled back, folding my arms, “Recover,” I ordered.

0 . o . 0

Moonbeam did manage a rare win here and there by the time the two were exhausted, but at the end of the day Rain still had far more.

She’s right about him, you know, my mind spoke up as I watched the two head back to the castle to wash up.

What use is he if he can’t kill? I countered, I need cold-hearted assassins, not tail-tucking pansies.

You said it yourself: his magic has proved invaluable, and as much as you’ll hate to admit it, a thief skilled with a lockpick is something you need, my mind continued, You may have had your differences with the Thieve’s Guild, but this isn’t Skyrim, remember? And in any case you still have yourself, Rain, and Choc all ready to slit throats and crush skulls.

They’re not enough, I grumbled, The Dark Brotherhood back home had more than triple this paltry bunch of ponies.

Not always, my mind countered, If you’ll recall, they were once reduced to just three assassins: the listener, Nazir, and Babette. Astrid had betrayed them to the Imperial Legion and almost all was lost…

I know the story, I muttered, All odds were against them, yet they still managed to kill the Emperor and complete the contract.

So maybe you don’t need an army of assassins to fulfill Sithis’ wishes, my mind said, If the old brotherhood managed to kill the Emperor with just three, what can this new one do?

I remained silent.

You have your sanctuary, you have your funds, and you have your assassins, Aram, my mind spoke again, I think it’s time to find the creature of stone.

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

The Sanctuary...

As it was one of the largest, easily accessible, rooms still standing within the castle, the kitchen area was where most meetings were held. So, once Choc had returned from a quick food run, I had my acolytes gather here.

The three of them sat opposite me at the table we used for eating, an uncertain worry on Moonbeam’s face, one of curiosity and veiled interest on Rain’s, and a typical emotionless furrow on Choc’s brow. As I stared back I wondered briefly at my words, telling them to fight or sneak was easy, much else was difficult for me to find words for.

“We’ve been here two months now,” I began, simply deciding to plunge into the issue, “It’s time for us to move on to the next phase: finding the creature of stone.”

A look of anxiety smeared itself across Moonbeam’s features, Rain’s interest unveiling and Choc’s brow remaining furrowed as she stared back at me.

“So from what you’ve told us, the creature of stone’s in Canterlot,” Rain spoke up, “‘Where royal sisters preside’ and all that.”

I nodded, “You’re my most capable acolyte when it comes to stealth, Rain. You’ll be coming with me to find the creature of stone.

“But first...we’re going to need outfits for all of you: both for physical protection, and to hide your identities,” I gestured to their highly visible cutie marks, “The dark brotherhood uses armor like mine, enchanted to help with our missions,” I turned to Moonbeam, “That’s where you come in.”

Moonbeam gave a curt nod, perking up just a bit at the mention of magic.

“If you want to prove your worth to me, then start putting that horn of yours to use,” I waved a hand at the bony protrusion, “Weapons and armor. You say you’re good at making things? Now’s the time to put that to the test. We spent a good portion of our funds getting your laboratory set up, time to make it pay off.

“Choc,” I addressed the earth pony, “You’ll stay here with Moonbeam, hold down the fort while we’re gone.”

Da,” she nodded.

“On the...subject of outfits,” Moonbeam spoke up hesitantly, “I don’t know what you’re looking for, but I’m really not a seamster.”

“That’s fine,” I replied, “So long as you can enchant them, that’s all I need.”

“But then who do you want to make them?” Moonbeam asked, looking about the table at the other ponies present, “None of us is really in the clothing market.”

“No, none of you are...” I said, looking down at my armor for a moment.

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

Ponyville...

Rarity had only just stowed the last rolling clothes rack and was about to amble over and lock the front door when the entry bell gave a jingle.

“Sorry, darling, we’re closing up for the night,” she spoke up, closing the storage closet and turning, “But we open bright and early tomorr...oh,” she trailed off at the sight of Aram and three other ponies, only just a little startled at the argonian’s presence, “Aram, was it?” she asked, eyeing his weapons and armor.

“I need some outfits made for my friends here,” he said, gesturing with a hand to the ponies.

“Oh, well, certainly, my dear, but I’m afraid you’ll have to come back tomorrow, I’m closing up shop…” Rarity trailed off again as Aram procured a small diamond from a bag at his hip, offering it forwards, “Closing up shop just for you, I mean,” Rarity smiled, taking the gemstone in her magic and trotting off to her measuring room, “Right this way, then!”

Author's Note:

This one was a bit of a doozy to write and I had initially planned on taking a different direction, but it all worked out in the end. I hope I'm not boring anyone here or messing this up, I always feel that what I'm writing isn't ever good enough, but that's probably just my inner paranoia talking :raritywink:.

This one's a little on the short side, but I think it gets the job done.