• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 5,356 Views, 137 Comments

My Little Argonian: Family is Sacred - Warren Peace



After breaking the fifth Tenet, an assassin from the dark brotherhood gets sent to Equestria.

  • ...
16
 137
 5,356

A Beginning of New Things (Pt2|Ch4)

Chapter Four: A Beginning of New Things

With three of us exhausted or sore from our wounds, and with the sun already beginning its descent, we opted to spend the night behind the crumbling walls of our new sanctuary. It took some searching before we came across some serviceable beds in the servant’s quarters. Dust and cobwebs coated most of the room, but eventually we gathered enough moth-eaten bedding for a couple of beds.

Top on the list of things to buy: some new beds! my mind commented as I eyed the decrepit state of the room.

And facilities for cooking, I added. We’d eaten what little food we’d brought, and if the hole-ridden blankets meant anything, our chances of finding edible food here were slim to none.

Yes, and perhaps stock up on some more mead, my mind replied, the sweet alcoholic taste taunting me. Yet I left my bottle where it was, I still hadn’t found a substitute in case it was all that there was.

We may have difficulty in getting such facilities here, though, I thought, returning to the more important subject, This sanctuary should remain a secret, and it won’t be a secret if we have masons and smiths paying visits.

Then just buy the basics and cart them here with Choc, my mind proposed, drawing my attention to the pony in question as she finished dusting off a bed, She certainly appears capable of carting goods around.

We’ll see, I replied, then spoke to my gathered acolytes, “We should set up a watch rotation, just in case.”

As much as I doubted that we’d need to keep watch, I figured it was better to err on the side of caution, especially in unfamiliar territory. We were still deep within the Everfree forest, and it certainly had more than dragons to offer us if we wanted to test it.

“I will take first watch,” Choc offered, “Not tired for sleep.”

“I’ll take last, then,” I said, Can’t fall asleep after I wake up, anyways.

Moonbeam and Rain exchanged glances before Moonbeam shrugged and said, “Second?”

“Sure, I’ve got third,” Rain replied, flapping her wings briefly, “Dang, wings are killing me, I just wanna get some rest already.”

“Okay, so, um…” Moonbeam trailed off, looking at the two beds we’d made with uncertainty, “How are we going to do this..?”

Rain rolled her eyes, “Oh, c’mon, it’s not like we haven’t snuggled under the same covers before, Moonbeam,” she said with a wink, then without her borderline seductive tone: “And don’t worry, I’m too tired for any funny business anyways. Let’s just get some sleep.”

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

...

I stood at the steps of the Bannered Mare in Whiterun, hearing the musical merriment that spilled out the crack of the doors. Yet thick fear spilled down my throat like sour mead at the thought of entering it, I knew that something lurked inside, something I couldn’t face.

But I also knew that the blue-scaled dragon was about, looking to make a meal out of me for killing it. The streets were deserted and dark, as night had settled, and I’d be safer from the dragon inside. It still took all my strength to ascend the steps and step inside.

“We drink to our youth, for the days come and gone! For the age of oppression is now all but done!” a bard sang, plucking strings of a harp.

The Inn was crowded, quite possibly because of the dragon outside, yet no one seemed to worry. Tankards clashed and were downed, raucous laughter was shared among friends, and the bard kept plucking without a care in the world. Yet despite the merriment, the lump in my throat remained, choking me and setting my heart racing with unknown terror.

“We drove out the empire, from this land that we own! With our blood and our steel, we did take back our home!”

“Why is everyone being so noisy!?” I hissed to the barmaid as she cleaned a tankard idly, barely able to manage a whisper, “There’s a dragon out there, it’ll hear us!”

“You want a drink?” she asked me, not heeding my warning.

“No, I don’t want a drink!” I tried again, giving the main floor a wary glance, there was still no sign of whatever terror lay within this place, “I want all you fools to be quiet! There’s a dragon out there, if all of you don’t shut-up, it’ll hear us!”

“There’s no dragon, the Dovahkiin killed it,” the barmaid replied, uncorking a bottle of nord mead and filling the tankard, “You want a drink?”

“No, I killed this dragon, and now it wants to kill me!” I retorted, “and I don’t want a damn drink!” I choked out, my hand gripping the tankard all the same.

“We drove out the empire, from this great land of ours! And we burned all their banners on a great, blazing pyre!”

“No, the Dovahkiin killed it, and then ate its soul, don’t you know?” she picked up a rag and began scrubbing at a stain on the bar, “You want a drink?”

The noise of the bar and the fear in my heart was driving me to my wits end. My hand grew tight around the tankard as I stood shakily, lip curling back. If they didn’t all be quiet, we’d be good as dead!

“I told you!” I growled as I flung the tankard at her, “I killed it!”

Yet the world evaporated away, and suddenly I was no longer in a bar. My hand was warm as I gripped the hilt of one of my daedric knives, the weapon plunged hilt-deep into the chest of...of…

“You...killed…me...” he whispered, blood spilling from his lips.

0 . o . 0

I jerked awake, hands finding my knives as my chest heaved and my heart pounded. Looking around, I quickly took in my surroundings, finding myself in the old servant’s quarters. I made out Choc and Moonbeam asleep in the other bed, and a pair of golden eyes staring back at me from across the room. At first I startled, but Rain’s dark shape settled my fears.

“Whoa, you okay?” she asked, quietly so as not to wake the others.

“I’m fine,” I muttered back, sitting up and throwing my legs over the side of the bed.

“Hardly looked that way,” she replied, eyeing me up and down, “You were mumbling something, then you just jumped up like someone jabbed you with a hot poker.”

“I’m fine,” I said again, adding just enough of a growl to get her to leave it alone, “just a bad dream.”

“Oh,” Rain said, looking away all of a sudden.

Another bad dream? my mind asked in the ensuing silence, Do they seem to be getting more vivid all of a sudden?

I don’t know, I replied, wiping some sweat from my scaly brow, I haven’t been to the Bannered Mare in years, I think.

Is it any wonder why? my mind countered, pausing a moment, The little beggar girl wasn’t there to bother you for a coin.

It was just a dream! I snapped back, putting an end to my thoughts.

“You ever…” Rain turned to me, hesitating as I turned my eyes to her, “you ever dream about the ponies you’ve killed?”

“The ponies?” I asked with a frown, “I haven’t killed any ponies.”

“Or: the people,” Rain corrected herself with a shrug, “Ponies, people, whatever.”

“You...killed…me...” the voice from my dream echoed through my skull. I gave my head a quick shake to dislodge it before answering.

“No,” I lied, more to myself than to her.

“Oh…” Rain looked away again.

Lying to your acolytes already? my mind asked.

She doesn’t need to know, it’s not important, I replied with a mental growl.

Is it that? Or can you merely not think to face what you’ve done?

Rather than continue my internal debate, and to trying and forget it, I spoke to Rain: “How’s the night been?”

“Oh, um, fine, I guess,” Rain turned to me again, caught off guard by the question, “Nothing really happened, same with the others,” she jerked her head to where Choc and Moonbeam were sleeping.

“Nothing? No noises? What about anything that might not be so obvious?” I pressed.

“Well, the castle settling a little, but nothing that might be...I dunno, bad,” Rain replied, “I was about to wake you up,” she continued, stretching her wings, “You want another half our or so before…”

“I’m awake,” I waved her off, standing and shuffling away from the bed, “Can’t get back to sleep, anyways.”

“Oh, okay,” she said, trotting over quietly and hopping onto the bed, “G’night, then.”

I grumbled a reply, sitting on the remains of a decrepit chair to watch the door till the morning came.

“You...killed…me..!” his voice hissed from the darkness.

“Not my fault,” I mumbled.

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

Morning’s first light...

The dawn came without issue. Our sanctuary was quiet through the rest of the night, odd creaks and cracks of it settling the only noises that met my ear-holes. I woke the others as the sun spilled its light over the eastern horizon and had us out and moving soon after.

“Mmm...ow,” Moonbeam mumbled as we made our way towards towards the rope bridge, “Now my legs are sore, ugh.”

“Don't even get me started on my wings,” Rain added, walking with the rest of us as she kept her wings tucked to her sides.

“Will be sore after large run,” Choc commented, “Be happy burns were not bad.”

“The hard part’s over for now,” I replied as I limped at the head of the herd, “You three will head into Ponyville,” among the treasures that the dragon had kept was a chest of pony money: bits. I’d had each of my acolytes stock up on these before we’d left, “Buy supplies and scout out around town. An assassin must be wary of all nearby establishments, see what you can come up with. Guards, facilities, chokepoints, anything that might be of interest.”

“Where will you be?” Rain asked.

“I might not be as welcome in town as a group of ponies,” I gave her half of my reason.

“Oh, so you want us to rendezvous somewhere, sometime?”

“The cottage where you found me,” I replied, casting my eyes upwards again, “Later today, that should give you enough time for everything.”

0 . o . 0

My acolytes and I parted ways as we left the forest, the three of them taking the path into town as I made my way up to the cottage. Fluttershy had said that my cast would be able to come off soon, hopefully that would mean today.

Fluttershy’s animals were just starting to come out as I crossed the bridge and made my way up the hill to her cottage. Most paid me no mind as I stepped up to the door and knocked.

“Coming!” her soft voice came from within and a moment later the door was opened, “Oh! Hello, Aram!” she greeted, her smile tugging at memories of times long past. The cheer turned to worry, however, as she beheld my ruined bandages and wounded appearance, “Oh my goodness, what happened!? Was it timberwolves again?” looking past me, her horror grew, “Wh-where are you friends?!”

“Don’t worry,” I spoke up, giving her what I hoped was a reassuring look, “They’re running errands in Ponyville, they’re fine. I’m fine, too, I just had a little...fall.” I gave her most of the truth. No need to worry her about the dragon.

While she continued to chew on her lip, she relented and gave a small nod, “Okay...but do come in, I was just about to make breakfast, and we should get those bandages changed,” she said, making way for me and gesturing for me to take a seat on the couch.

I did as instructed, Fluttershy sitting next to me as she gently felt at my side. The feel of her hooves on my scales, pushing and prodding as she was, was comforting. Removing what scraps of bandages still clinging to me, I almost felt at a loss as she left me to get more.

“There we go,” she smiled after she’d finished, “Everything’s healing up quite well...though a little slow…”

Hm, I wonder why that would be… my mind inquired sarcastically, Any chance it could have to do with not following doctor’s orders?

Be quiet, I replied, then to Fluttershy as she examined my cast, “What about my leg? You said the cast could come off soon, right?”

“Well, I think it might need to, now,” she said, prodding it with a hoof, “It looks like you really did a number on this with that fall...but the bones should at least be back together by now,” she took a set of thick-bladed cutters from the basket she’d brought, “we’ll just have to see.”

Had anyone else brought a blade so close to my leg, they would’ve gotten a kick at the minimum. Yet I felt no alarm or unease as Fluttershy transferred the cutters to her mouth and began snipping away at the cast. And when it finally came off…

“Now I want you to be very careful, try to keep the leg as straight as possible while I check, okay?” she asked after cutting away a majority.

“Okay,” I replied with a nod, and with tender hooves Fluttershy finally freed my leg from the cast.

I nearly bent my free limb as I felt the cool cottage air on my scales again, yet I did as told as Fluttershy’s hooves traced up my wounded limb.

“Okay,” she said cautiously after finishing, “It feels like it’s mended, but take it slow anyways. I want you to bend your leg slowly, it might feel a little stiff, but it shouldn’t hurt too badly. Let me know if it does.”

Following her instructions, I bent my leg slowly back towards me. As she’d said, the muscles seemed a little stiff, but there was no major pain. Just in case, she had me repeat the exercise a few times, ensuring that there was no pain.

“So I’m good?” I asked, now seated with both legs bent, the weight of my cast lifted like a curse from my limbs. It felt so good I almost smiled...almost.

“Yes, it looks like your leg has finally healed,” Fluttershy replied with a smile that warmed my innards and sent flashes of memory flitting through my mind, “But don’t go running around filly nilly, now. You really do need to take it easy, use that crutch I made if you have to, okay?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take it easy,” I replied.

0 . o . 0

“You said you’d be gone a while, but I didn’t think it would be the whole day,” Fluttershy spoke as she stirred up a batch of oatmeal, “Where did you go?”

Pondering a moment as I chewed my bite of apple, I chose my lie carefully. Knowing she probably spoke often with Twilight, I didn’t want the annoying unicorn coming after me with more questions.

“We camped out in the Everfree forest,” I said, injecting some of the truth into my words.

“Oh?!” Fluttershy appeared startled at the mention of the forest, though her look faded fast, “You were okay through the night, though, right?”

“We were fine,” I took another bite from the apple, chewed, and swallowed, “Zecora told us there weren’t any timberwolves nearby.”

“Well I’m glad to hear that you all had fun,” Fluttershy said, adding some chopped apples and a dash of what smelled like cinnamon to her brew.

Why, yes! It was as much fun as dragon-slaying can be! My mind commented.

Shush!

With the final ingredients added, Fluttershy poured two bowls and set the table; tea for her, water for me. The oatmeal was delicious and the water was refreshing as it poured down my throat. We ate in contented silence.

Once I finished, I deposited my dishes in the sink and turned from the kitchen, enjoying the ability to use both legs again. Yet the celebration could wait; with my leg now free I’d have no trouble slipping back into my armor, and I meant to do just that as I headed up the stairs.

0 . o . 0

My armor was where I’d left it and fit just as well as the day I’d put it on, if perhaps even better. Noting this and the lack of damage reminded again of the ‘Rarity’ character Twilight had mentioned.

I’ll need to get my acolytes their own armor eventually, I thought to myself, not liking how distinguishing their colors and cutie marks were. It wouldn’t do to have them running about with nothing to conceal their identities.

And maybe this ‘Rarity’ will be the one to make it? my mind commented.

Perhaps, I replied.

Now armored up, I redid my belt and quiver, sheathing both knives and selecting my bow. Experimentally, I raised the weapon and flipped up my hood, a ghost of a smile crossing my lips as I felt the enchantment in the back of my head. It was subtle without an actual arrow nocked and drawn, but it was there. Walking about, the enchantments on my boots kept my footfalls silent as the grave. Finally things were starting to feel much, much better even if my wounds were still tender under the enchanted leather.

Stepping to the window, I found the sun still rather low in the sky. I had plenty of time before my acolytes returned and little to do to spend it. The thought of them brought a curious look to my face as, briefly, I wondered how my acolytes were faring in town...

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

In town...

It was another bright and sunny day in the little town of Ponyville. Birds were chirping their songs and ponies were smiling and chatting about this or that. In the marketplace, a group of three ponies drew occasional glances as they casually trotted past the stalls of goods. After all, it wasn’t every day that Ponyville got three new visitors.

“So that’s everything on the list?” Rain asked, surprised as she looked from the small scrap of paper to Choc’s larger frame. Her saddlebags were full of ripe fruits, vegetables, and an assortment of other foods.

“Unless you’re reading it wrong, yes,” Choc replied in Stalliyi, both Rain and Moonbeam understanding her, “Like I said, it’s easy to talk a pony down on the price of goods, if you only know how.”

“Well we’ve still got plenty of bits, and...” Rain trailed off as she spotted Moonbeam looking around cautiously, “Seriously, Moonbeam, relax.”

“Oh, what?” he started, mane standing on end, “Sorry.”

“Dude, really, relax,” shook her head, grinning goofily, “We’re not in the old pony lands anymore, our posters aren’t gonna be on any boards. This is Equestria, land of peace and harmony, not Prance or Stalliongrad, lands of sex and booze.”

“Hey, we have more than just booze,” Choc whinnied with an somewhat indignant snort.

“I’m kidding,” Rain smiled with a roll of her eyes.

“Not about Prance, though,” Choc snickered, getting a whack from Rain’s wing.

“Ow, crap! Ow, ow!” Rain winced, holding her side where the dragon had struck her.

“You okay?” Choc asked, playful tone replaced with a more serious one as she halted next to the pegasus, “We could go see a doctor about...yesterday.” She said, eyeing the occasional passerby as Rain’s sudden outburst drew a few extra looks.

“No, no, I’m fine, I’m fine,” she waved Choc away with a hoof, “Still just a little sore.”

“You’re not going to die on us are you?” Choc asked, only half serious.

“No, just, walking hurts.”

“So fly,” Choc suggested.

“Flying hurts,” Rain replied.

“How about bouncing?” Pinkie Pie energetically interjected, all three acolytes jumping at her sudden appearance, “Oh, well that’s more jumping,” she giggled, “But you’ve got the right idea!”

“What...who the hay are you?” Rain asked, recovering and eyeing Pinkie up and down, wings cocking ever so slightly.

“Me? Well, I’m you’re guys newest, bestest friend Pinkie Pie!” Pinkie declared, the acolytes exchanging awkward glances, “See, I saw,” she giggled, “heh, see-saw, anyway, I saw you ponies here in the market and I thought to myself: Hey, I don’t know those ponies! And since I know everypony in Ponyville, that meant that you were new in town and I like to welcome all the new ponies to Ponyville!” Pinkie took a deep breath and launched herself into the air, “So-o-o-o welcome!”

The three acolytes exchanged awkward glances as Pinkie hovered in the air with an expectant smile. Yet as it appeared clear her three newest, bestest friends weren’t going to automatically warm up to her, her smile deflated as she fell back to the ground.

“Did I come on too strong?” she worried, “Oh, please tell me I didn’t come on too strong!”

“Oh, no,” Moonbeam spoke up at the mare’s distress, tone placating, “we’re just, not really looking for new friends right now, I guess. We’ve sorta got a good thing going here, you see.”

“Oh,” Pinkie moped, C’mon, Pinkie Pie! she thought to herself, Don’t give up that easily, you’re sure to win them over somehow! Then her ears perked up, Oh, hey, I’m getting my own thought, dialogue! Hi, readers! “Well…” Pinkie said before the three acolytes could leave, “At the very least, let me show you around the town! I know all the best places to visit! If you’re looking for fresh food, my good friend Applejack has the best darn apples you ever tasted, or if you’re looking for some fancy new clothes, then Rarity’s the girl for that, or if your hooves or sore, I totally recommend the Ponyville spa, or if…”

0 . o . 0 . o . 0

The Cottage...

They’re probably doing fine, my mind assured me, after all, they’re ponies, you aren’t. Best to send them for routine business and the like. Who knows what kind of attention you’d get.

None good, I’d imagine, I replied, stepping away from the window and heading downstairs, keeping my descent slow and measured. Yet my leg felt fine and didn’t fail on me as I reached the bottom.

“I’ve got to head into town in just a little bit,” Fluttershy called from the kitchen, trotting out soon after. She startled at the sight of me in full armor, yet quickly regained her composure, “Um did you need me to get anything? Or, perhaps you’d like to come along as well?”

“No thank you,” I replied, “I was thinking of...resting a bit more.”

Oh, sure you are, my mind commented.

Quiet!

“Oh, that’s good,” Fluttershy said with cheer, happy that I was taking her advice, “If you need me to make you anything before I go…”

“I think I’ll manage,” I said, trying to manage a smile, but getting only an awkward grimace.

“Well, okay then, I’ll see you later today, okay?”

“See you later,” I waved as she passed through the door.

So how are you going to rest today, then? my mind inquired, Go beat up more timberwolves? Maybe dance with another dragon?

Make potions with some help from Zecora, I replied, I’ll be resting my leg and putting my hands to good use.

Hm, fair enough, I guess, my mind was forced to concede.

0 . o . 0

The path to Zecora’s hut was clear, a soft glow spilling out the windows.

“Who is it, I wonder, that knocks at my door,” I heard her voice after I rapped at the door. She looked up at me after opening, “Ah, it is one who has come here before.”

“Hello,” I stated as the zebra eyed me up and down, taking note of the armor.

“I see you’re not limping with your cast,” she turned away from the door, leaving it open as she stepped back inside. I took it as a gesture of invitation, following her in, “It is good that you have healed so fast.”

“Thank you,” I said, I think…, “I was hoping you might be able to teach me more of the flora of this land.”

“More you wish to know, is there?” Zecora inquired, sipping at a brew she was making before giving it a few more stirs, “Of this knowledge, I may share.”

Setting the spoon aside, Zecora turned to the wall, picking up a parchment in her maw and bringing it to me. Raising a brow, I took the scrap of paper and scanned over it, finding only the alien pony writing.

“What is this?” I asked, “I can’t read your language.”

“It is a list of all my needs,” Zecora replied, back to stirring at the cauldron, “On it things like plants and seeds.” She frowned, “Of your illiteracy, I did not know. Perhaps some examples, I may show.”

“So you want me to do your shopping?” I asked, not entirely liking that prospect.

Hey, she’s offering you free lessons, if she wants you to get some things then that seems fair to me, my mind put in, silencing any mental complaints.

“If my lessons, you wish to be taught, there are some things that I have sought,” Zecora replied. Again she stepped from her cauldron, eyeing and gathering a number of different herbs and ingredients off her shelves. They were stuffed into a bag and hoofed over to me, “As you can see, I am making a stew,” she gestured to the cauldron, “So I leave the gathering of these ingredients up to you.”

I opened the bag she’d given me, eyeing the contents. Only a few of the things inside I recognized from the Everfree forest. Pulling the drawstrings tight, I attached the small bag to my belt.

“How many of each will you need?” I asked, somewhat annoyed I’d been made a errand boy again.

“Ten or so of each should do,” Zecora answered, tasting her brew again, “Until you return, I should bid you adieu.”

0 . o . 0

Zecora was kind enough to offer me a steaming bowl of whatever it was she’d cooked up when I returned. It was thick and somewhat bitter, but filling all the same. Taking the bag, now much fuller than before, Zecora bade me sit as she spread the ingredients out before me.

First she had me separate the flora into two groups, noticing as I did that my ring glowed only over one of them.

“That ring that you wear is enchanted, I see. Though what, I would ask, could this enchantment be?” she inquired, sitting with hind legs crossed in what appeared to be a thoroughly uncomfortable position.

“It detects poisons,” I replied.

“A boon to any alchemist, I can be sure,” Zecora remarked, “It would certainly help if of a plant you’re unsure.”

I nodded in agreement, and the lesson began.

First Zecora had me study the poisonous plants, much to my delight.

The first plant was Rotreed, a close relative to the stagnant reed Zecora had shown me earlier. Like its cousin, it was toxic if crushed and ingested, but dried and ground it became a potent stamina enhancer.

Second was the Blackpetal Flower, a mean-looking flower with pointed barbs running the length of its stem. The barbs were somewhat deadly, but the flower petals themselves contained a paralytic agent that could be enhanced with drying.

Third were Spotted Mushrooms, with a cap that contained a powerful psychedelic agent that sent consumers into a wild frenzy. The spores, if inhaled or ingested were also fatal if not treated quickly.

The fourth and final of the poisonous ingredients was the Dragonheart flower. The petals caused chilling symptoms similar to those caused by fire resistance potions, and the flower’s bulbous heart, surrounded by the petals, induced violent vomiting when ingested or crushed and absorbed into the skin.

I paid a little less attention to the helpful ingredients, just enough to get the rundown on the Bluebulb flower. Like the blue mountain flowers of Skyrim, it secreted a sweet-tasting liquid that helped the healing process. Its large seeds, found seasonally, also made a tasty snack when baked.

“It is good to have someone as interested as I,” Zecora said as she swept up all the ingredients I’d gathered, setting them on shelves, “But for now I have other things to do, so I say to you good bye.”

“Goodbye, then,” I said, happy to have learned a number of new poisonous ingredients. I stood and spoke, “Thank you.”

“Welcome you are, as always I say,” Zecora replied, “Though a suggestion I have...if I may?”

“Sure,” I allowed, frowning.

“You’ve shown me a weakness, this you must concede,” Zecora gave my frown a smile, “Perhaps before we next meet, you will learn to read?”

She has a point, my mind put in.

“I’ll work on it,” I said.

Author's Note:

This is one of those chapters that I feel really meh about, but it gets the story to a point where we can jump ahead a couple months (which is what will happen next chapter) so in the end it gets the job done.