• Published 31st Jul 2020
  • 718 Views, 59 Comments

Descendants of the Isle - Melody Song



Four villain children. One prince determined to turn them good. One royal school. And a whole lot of drama.

  • ...
9
 59
 718

Baking Villain-Style

The four kids snuck down to the kitchen, which was apparently open until midnight anyway. According to a chef that was leaving the kitchen, it was for students to use for class assignments. Or just if they were hungry. He told them to make sure to leave before midnight, because the doors were charmed with a timer to magically lock when the clock struck twelve AM. Tempest and Luna got to work, Luna taking the lead as being the one who knew how to cook.

“Okay, almost done. It says the last thing we need... is a single tear, and I never cry.” Tempest said.

Gallus and Pharynx had been shunted to the side, having almost added the wrong ingredients twice. Gallus now saw a chance to redeem himself and grabbed an onion.

“So let’s chop this up, problem solved.” he said, tossing it up and down in one claw while he cradled Monarch in his other.

“No.” Tempest said sharply, looking back at the spellbook. “It says we need a tear of genuine sadness. And this love potion is the best one I could find, it apparently gives the best results, so we have to follow it exactly.”

“I thought a tear was a tear. Thorax and Ocellus shed them all the time.” Pharynx said

“While that’s true about your siblings, Pharynx, a tear is not just a tear. For example, while they both have antibodies and enzymes, an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear.” Luna said

“Listen to you. Looks like all that studying paid off.” Tempest smiled at Luna, who blushed.

“Yeah, I knew that.” Pharynx said in response to Luna's explanation, blushing in embarrassment.

“You did not.” Gallus said, smirking

“Yeah, I did. But you didn’t-”

“Shh.” Tempest hissed, as they heard footsteps.

Luna used her magic to toss a towel over the spellbook, while Tempest began stirring the batter inconspicuously. Ember walked in, and smiled.

“There you are Tempest. I was looking for you!”

“You were?” Tempest asked, and Ember nodded.

“Yeah, all the girls want you to do their hair! Only on your first week here and you're already becoming popula-” Ember then noticed the batter. “Ooh, midnight snack? I came down for some gems, but whatever you’re making looks pretty good…”

“Oh, they’re just cookies-” Tempest gasped as Ember reached and swiped a finger into the batter, pulling it out and sticking it in her mouth to taste. “No no no!”

“Wait!” Gallus reached out to her.

“What? My claws are clean, I washed them before coming down here.” Ember said as she tasted the batter. “And it's not like I'm going to double dip or anything.”

“Do you... feel anything?” Luna asked hesitantly

“Yeah, like, maybe it might be missing something?” Tempest covered

Pharynx took off and flew to her, landing and giving her a nod. “Hey there.” he said, winking.

Ember glowered at him, then looked back at the girls. “Could use some chips.” she told them.

“Chips?” Pharynx asked

“And those are?” Tempest asked, going back to stirring the batter. Ember went to the cupboard.

“Well, dragons use gem chips but I’m talking about... aha!” Ember pulled out a bag and walked back to them. “Chocolate chips. Only the most important food group.”

“What’s chocolate?” Gallus asked, and Ember seemed surprised.

“Didn’t your moms ever-”

“My parents abandoned my sister and I on our grandpa’s doorstep.” Gallus said

“Didn’t they die?” Luna asked

“Gruff says it’s the same thing.”

“I don’t have a mom.” Tempest added

“Okay... parents then. Didn’t they ever make you chocolate chip cookies?” Ember asked.

They all looked at each other. What was she talking about? Ember didn't notice their confused silence and continued talking as she poured the chocolate chips into the bowl of batter.

“Like, when you’re feeling sad, and they’re fresh from the oven, with a big glass of milk. Then while you eat them your mo-er, parent makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective, and…" Ember looked up, seeing their expressions. "Why are you all looking at me like that?”

Tempest sighed and looked down. “It’s just...different on the Isle.” she murmured.

“Well... I know that, but... I just thought... even villains love their kids…”

Ember trailed off as she saw their downcast looks. She stared at them, taking in their expressions. Gallus cradled Monarch, looking down at the kitten and blinking rapidly as he pet him. Pharynx leaned against the countertop, gazing at the floor. Tempest stirred the batter quickly, glaring down at it as if it had offended her. Luna simply stood with her forehooves on the counter, staring blankly at it. Ember blinked and sniffled a bit.

“How awful…” Ember breathed, then looked away. “M-my mom used to make me cookies all the time, before she… she...”

Tempest saw a tear slipping down Ember’s cheek, and quickly leaned forwards and wiped it away with her hoof. She pretended to brush it aside but really flicked it into the bowl.

“Yeah, well, we’re so sorry to hear that, but we need to get these in the oven. Thanks for coming to check on us…” Tempest began pushing Ember to the door.

"Are you sure? I can stay and help-"

“No, really, have a good night!"

"Oh, okay then, I guess see you at the Blitzball game tomor-"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow, bye, evil dreams!” Tempest called, before beginning to shut the door behind Ember as the dragoness headed off.

“Goodnight.” Ember called, they could see her wiping her eyes before the door closed.

“Okay, boys, get the cookie sheets, Luna, turn on the oven.” Tempest ordered

“Yes ma’am.” Pharynx said, saluting her.

Tempest rolled her eyes and swatted at him. He dodged out of the way and joined Gallus in collecting the cookie sheets. Luna headed for the oven while Tempest returned to the batter, grinning as she realized they had all the ingredients. There was no way this plan would fail. It was perfect.

Author's Note:

So it seems the Isle kids have some family problems. Well, that will be addressed in a later chapter. For now, I hope you enjoyed this one, next one comes next week!

~Melody Song