• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 3,927 Views, 38 Comments

Four Friends Play A Board Game - GeodesicDragon



Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Spike, and a board game. What could go wrong?

  • ...
4
 38
 3,927

One-Shot (Edited)

FOUR FRIENDS PLAY A BOARD GAME

by GeodesicDragon

"One, two, three, four, five... " Applejack manoeuvred the game piece around the board, counting slowly. "Nine, ten, eleven." She looked at where her piece was and sighed. "Aww, dang it."

"Uh-oh, Applejack!" Rainbow Dash said gleefully. "Cloudsdale is mine, so you owe me twenty four bits in rent!"

"I know," Applejack replied, picking up a few paper notes and passing them to the grinning pegasus.

"Thanks, AJ." Rainbow laughed heartily. "Okay, it's your turn now, Rarity. Try not to end up in jail again."

Rarity huffed and picked up the dice with her magic, tossing them gently into the middle of the board.

"Seven." she counted out her steps, landing on a place — which caused her to gasp excitedly. "Yes, Canterlot!" she squealed. "I'm buying that!" She quickly snapped up a load of notes and passed them to Spike. "Here you go, my darling banker." She cooed. "One title deed for Canterlot, please." Spike blushed and took the money, passing her a small card in return. She set it down next to her and let out a small cackle. "I now own both Canterlot and Las Pegasus!" She said. "As soon as I get hotels on them, you're all doomed!"

Rainbow Dash ignored the unicorn's laughter and picked up the dice, throwing them haphazardly onto the board. She looked at her roll and grimaced. "Three," she groaned. "Great."

She moved her game piece forward, landing on a spot with a picture of Princess Celestia on it.

"Royal Taxes!" Applejack laughed. "Looks like you don't get to enjoy those two hundred bits I gave ya earlier!"

Rainbow Dash grumbled to herself and picked up the money, putting it into the middle of the board.

"Uh, Rainbow?" Applejack raised an eyebrow. "What in tarnation are you doin' that for?"

"I'm putting the money into the middle of the board." Dash replied.

"I can see that," Applejack said. "But why are ya doin' it?"

"So that anypony who lands on the Free Parking space can get it," Dash retorted, raising one of her own eyebrows. Applejack gave her a blank look, to which she rolled her eyes and sighed. "In my opinion, that Free Parking space is useless — so I've decided to give it a purpose." She explained. "Anytime somepony pays taxes, they can put the money in the middle of the board. Anypony who lands on Free Parking then gets all of it."

Applejack shook her head. "That is the... I don't even..." she paused for a moment. "Nope, it sounds like cheatin' ta me."

"How is it cheating?!" Rainbow replied, raising her voice.

"Because anypony who lands there gets free money," Applejack replied, her own voice increasing in volume. "I don't believe in ponies gettin' somethin' fer doin' nothin' at all."

Rainbow facehoofed. "It's only a game, Applejack," she grumbled. "You don't need to take it so seriously."

"Rainbow Dash is right, Applejack," Rarity said gently. "After all, games are supposed to be fun."

"Why the hay are you takin' her side?" Applejack shouted. "If it ain't in the rules, then it can't be done."

"I'm with Applejack on this one, girls," Spike added. "If it's not in the rules, then technically it can't be done."

"Okay, fine!" Rainbow yelled, picking up the money from the board and tossing it into the banker's tray. "There, happy?"

"Rules are there to be followed, Dash," Applejack said matter-of-factly. "Ya can't get by in life if yer makin' 'em up as you go along."

"It's just a game, for Pete's sake!" Dash shouted, throwing her forehooves into the air exasperatedly.

"I know that, but—" Applejack began.

"No!" Dash interrupted. "You take things way too seriously, Applejack. You're such a... a killjoy!" She spat the last word out.

Applejack's face fell.

"Now see here, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity scolded. "That was entirely uncalled for. Apologise at once!"

"Why should I apologise?" the pegasus fumed. "Because I know I'm right — all night long she's been fussing over the rules." She put on her best Applejack impersonation. "'Ya can't buy hotels till you buy houses first.' 'Three doubles, off ya go ta jail!' 'It's two hundred bits fer passin' Go, not three hundred!'"

Applejack's eyes filled with tears. Wiping them away, she narrowed her eyes and pointed an accusing hoof at Rainbow Dash. "I'm the killjoy?" she shouted, her voice heavy with emotion. "What about you, Dash? Yer totally incapable of makin' a decision without turnin' it into some kind of contest!"

Rainbow Dash scoffed. "That's ridiculous!" she argued.

"Is it?" Applejack laughed. "What about when y' went ta Fluttershy's ta get a pet? Ya couldn't make up yer mind, so you started that little contest to see which one was the 'coolest.'" Rainbow opened her mouth to reply, but Applejack silenced her with a wave of her hoof. "And tonight, you've only been buying the properties which you think are cool." She narrowed her eyes. "Is that why you didn't want ta buy Appleoosa?"

Rainbow spluttered and fidgeted, trying to find the right words.

"So don't get on at me bein' a 'killjoy', when you can be just as bad," Applejack hissed. "There's no fun in watchin' you debate to yourself over which properties are cool and which ones ain't."

Rainbow ran her hoof over the back of her head as Rarity coughed. "Can we get back to playing now?" she asked gently. "Or will you two continue to ruin the evening?"

Applejack's eyes narrowed further. "Oh no ya don't!" she said fiercely. "Don't you go accusing us of wreckin' the evenin'. Are you forgettin' what happened at Twilight's slumber party?"

Rarity gasped. "That was your fault as well, and fine you know it!" she said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, I know," Applejack replied. "But at least I'm prepared ta admit it." A sly smirk appeared on her face.

Rarity ground her teeth together, a low growl escaping her throat. She opened her mouth to fire off a retort when Spike spoke up.

"Everypony calm down!" he yelled. "You've all ruined the evening, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that, all right?"

"WHAT?!" the three mares said in unison.

"Oh, that's rich coming from Mister 'turn into a giant dragon and destroy half of Ponyville!'" Rainbow Dash brought her face closer to Spike, who didn't flinch at the invasion of his personal space. "If anypony knows how to wreck things on a grand scale, it's you!"

Spike clenched his fists. "Take that back." he said.

"Make me." Dash replied, sticking her tongue out.

Suddenly, a cushion hit her in the face, sending her flat on her back. She stood up and looked at Rarity — who had an evil grin on her face, and another cushion ready to throw.

"All right, that's it!" Dash bellowed. "Bring it on, Miss Prissy Pants!"

The three mares and Spike leapt on each other, shouting various swear words and insults. In the resulting flurry of hooves and claws, the game board was knocked off the table.

***

The wind howled through the royal garden in Canterlot, the black clouds in the sky announcing their presence with thunder and lighting. As the wind buffeted the statues, a loud crack was followed by bellowing laughter.

The flashes of lightning illuminated a solitary figure, who snapped his fingers and conjured up an image of the fight taking place in Ponyville. Watching it eagerly, he let out a small cackle.

"Ah, board games," Discord said to himself, taking in his new-found freedom. "How wonderfully chaotic."

Comments ( 38 )

Ah, so true. But the Appeloosa thing was really terrible.

Edit: I think I'm first.

Loved it. Short and funny. Characters are spot-on. I didn't spot a single mistake.
Thoroughly enjoyable - have a thumbs up!

...also, I'm with A.J. When I was younger I felt like I was the only one who actually read the official rules to Monopoly. :ajsleepy:

Discord is such a troll :rainbowlaugh:
And Board Games are not good for friendships, play them with your enemies.

Huh, I've always played it the same way Dash was with the taxes-go-in-the-middle thing.
Certainly an interesting piece even if it's fairly short and simple.:twilightsmile:

Yup, sounds like how my board games end. Nicely written:twilightsmile:

This is awesome and you should feel awesome. This should be in the featured box, definitely.

A light fic. :twilightsmile:

That was good, and it does express how everyone is like when they are playing a board game, especially Monopoly (or Monopony in their case). I do, however, have to agree with Rainbow Dash. Free parking only gives you 500, and it is very hard to land on. So, we made it that if landed on taxes, we had to put the money in the middle, and whoever got Free parking would get all of it.:ajsmug:

1165123 You are not the only one. :twilightsmile:

:facehoof:why are board games so difficult

Nobody messes with Spikey-Wikey! :raritywink:

That was hilarious, point to you.

Ah Monopoly, ruining friendships and families since the Great Depression.

the Monopoly Guy is Discord in disguise. that's why one game can result in no one talking to each other for a week

This story is awesome, and I read it before it was featured! Awww yeah!

It's not featured yet, is it? It should be. Anyway, three yays and some magicks.
:yay::yay::yay::coolphoto:

1167725

No, it's not featured.

And honestly? I don't expect it to be.

Funny thing that's not all board games that do that... Just Monopoly. And there are many different "rules" to that game! I've heard of epic family fights of that game.

And bringing up Spikes Growth that was a low blow!

1168676

Don't blame me! It was Rainbow Dash who brought it up! :rainbowwild:

Yep. That's how every game of Monopoly turns out. My old man is the only won who's ever wins at the game because he's the last one still at the board after everyone has already left in a fit of rage. Seriously, when I used to work at a toy store I used to tell people not to buy that game or Scrabble.

The title made me think of this:

Why do so many fics end with Discord getting released?

1176441

Given how most Monopoly games end, I felt it was the right thing to do.

And because its funny.

1176605 This is missing one thing I'f someone gets both dark blue spots.... You flip the table and leave

This is exactly what happens every time I play monopoly with my friends.I super-lose and flip out.

Do a sequel using "Risk".
Whenever I played it with my friends we would make alliances and 2 turns later back stab our ally. We got a kick out of how high the back stab count got:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: I think the backstabbing got up into the 70's once.

This is a hilarious story! :ajsmug: + :rainbowderp: + :raritywink: + :moustache: + Monopoly = hilarious!

Reading this story makes me wonder if they're ever going to make Monopoly My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic addition.

"Board games." Discord said to himself as he took in his freedom.

"How wonderfully chaotic."

XD XD XD XD XD

:rainbowlaugh:+:moustache:+:applejackconfused:+:raritystarry:+Monopaly= XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

1166708 I agree with you. When me and my sister play Monopaly she always gets mad at me for winning and last time she got mad well. I asked her to please put up the game stuff and I left the room. When I got back she had dumped everything into the bow and left it on my bed. :rainbowlaugh:

Monopoly: It destroys families.

I wonder how the Mane 6 would feel about playing the MLP Monopoly game? :rainbowderp:

1189960

I've seen worse, one person owning the dark blue, the browns, the oranges and reds, all with hotels, needless to say that person was the winner, it's also a good trap :eeyup:

Monopoly, the most sinister game in existence

I think this video describes it perfectly

:rainbowlaugh:

That was grand:moustache::raritywink::ajsmug::rainbowlaugh:

"So that anypony who lands on the Free Parking space can get it," Dash retorted, raising one of her own eyebrows. Applejack gave her a blank look, to which she rolled her eyes and sighed. "In my opinion, that Free Parking space is useless — so I've decided to give it a purpose." She explained. "Anytime somepony pays taxes, they can put the money in the middle of the board. Anypony who lands on Free Parking then gets all of it."

That's similar to how my family plays Monopoly.

Hello! Have a review -- and though this is not only a silly one-shot, but very old, it holds up fairly well I think. A good fic for a quick tea-break read.

Monopoly, the game that destroys friendships and makes enemies :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment