• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 11,099 Views, 402 Comments

The Elements of Excess - cleverpun



[Canceled] What if Discord's magic preyed on everypony's strengths instead of their flaws? Hilarity, arguments, and a dangerous breakdown or two, naturally.

  • ...
24
 402
 11,099

Ch. 7: Ego

Ch. 7

Ego

Three-hundred-and-forty-two books. Eight-hundred-and-thirty-four discreet spells. Thirty-three consecutive hours without sleep. An average of ten-point-three-six books per hour since last night, and an average of two-point-four new spells per book. Some were quite inane. She had graphed their usefulness and only thirteen percent of them would actually be helpful in a situation she would encounter in the near future.

None of those numbers mattered. All that mattered was results. She didn’t need a graph for those; they were right in front of her. She put down her book, and she could feel her magic seep off of it as she let go. Her entire body felt incredible: full and potent and coiled. It felt like she could do anything.

Anything?

Well, of course anything; she was Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent, after all. And Beautiful. She looked at her bed, the window right above it.

You know, I never liked that window. And I can do anything, can’t I? Why should I have to put up with it?

It made perfect sense. Before she could even give it a second thought she felt her spark rush out of her body in a blinding flash of purple magic. When the light faded the window was gone, along with most of the wall it had been connected to.

You can’t argue with results.

Moments later Spike would burst through the door and ask what happened. She could sense it. Even without the precognition spells she could feel his footsteps on the stairs, could hear him panting, could taste his breath coming out in short bursts. The magic coursing through her body had amplified every one of her senses.

“Twilight! What happened!?” Spike stopped. “W…what happened to you?” He jabbed a finger at her.

“Oh, hello, Spike. That’s right, I guess I didn’t show you the wings yet!” The crescents of purple energy wafted outward. The tips of them nearly scraped a few books, but she adjusted their path easily. Their bases were anchored to her shoulder blades, and there was a magic conduit connecting them directly to her nervous system. They were just like a part of her body.

“H-how did you…?”

“You like them? I designed them myself. Pure magical energy, attached to my body, wired to my brain. Once I learned the right spells it was trivial, really. Everything is trivial for Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent.”

Spike turned to huge gap in the wall. “Uh…and, what about that?”

Twilight turned lazily to the hole, almost as if she had forgotten about it. “Oh, yes. Guess I didn’t realize my own strength.” She turned back to Spike. “I do now though.” She smiled, but failed to notice how uncomfortable it made Spike.

“Well, that’s, uhm…”

“Something wrong?”

“No, not really, I mean… You just seem a little—”

“Amazing? Brilliant? Beautiful? Well I already knew that, Spike.” She smiled that same unsettling smile. Suddenly her face fell. Without warning she vanished in a burst of purple energy, reappearing less than an inch from Spike’s face.

“Gah!” He flinched and fell backward. “Don’t do that!”

“But that’s not what you were going to say, was it, Spike?”

“What?”

She hovered just above him. The magic wings hummed faintly, but didn’t move. “You weren’t going to compliment me? What are you getting at?” She leaned forward with each sentence. “Are you saying that Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent and Beautiful doesn’t deserve praise? Are you some sort of skeptic?”

“Twilight, your face is really close to mine…”

“Everypony is always underestimating me. You, and Applejack, and Celestia…” Twilight paused, then smiled again. Her teeth didn’t quite line up correctly. “That’s it!”

“What’s it?”

“The perfect way to show everypony what Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent is capable of.”

Spike tried and failed to make eye contact with her. “What are you talking about, Twilight?”

One of Twilight’s ears twitched. “Speaking of underestimators! My friends have arrived to see me off!”

“See you off where!?”

There was a flash of magic, and suddenly Spike and Twilight were in the foyer. Spike’s head spun, disoriented by the abrupt teleport. There were some ponies talking near the door.

“What do you mean you ‘lost it!?’ That note was very important, Pinkie! How am I supposed to protect you from yourself if you won’t listen to me?”

“What’d you say, Fluttershy? I wasn’t listening.”

“Exactly! And stop eating things you found on the ground!”

“Don’t worry, Pinkie Pie, I’ll buy you a nice—”

“Ugh, would y’all be qui—” Applejack’s sentence faltered as she opened the door and saw Twilight. Everypony else ground to a similar stop as they leaked into the building.

“Hello, girls!” Twilight smiled.

“T-Twilight? What the hay happened to you?”

“Pretty wings!” Pinkie said.

“They don’t look very safe,” Fluttershy took a few steps back.

“You like them?” Twilight swept them open. “Made them myself. Pure magical energy. Wired directly to my nervous system.” Twilight folded the wings back up and turned to Applejack. “You can apologize now, AJ.”

“What fer?”

“For underestimating my magical ability earlier, of course.”

“Twilight, look at yerself. Doesn’t any of this seem off to ya?”

“Of course not. Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent is a magical prodigy, after all.”

“But ponies don’t just get better at things overnight! And you were never this much of an arrogant pain before!”

“I dunno, AJ.” Rainbow rubbed her chin. “Twilight is pretty amazing at everything…”

“Rainbow, shush!” Applejack gave her a stern glare.

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “You’re just like Celestia, Applejack. Underestimating me, getting in my way… But that’s okay. You see, I’ve realized something. It’s not your fault you’re an impediment. Celestia sent me here specifically for that reason!”

“What’re you talking about?”

Twilight didn’t seem to hear her. “In one night of studying I’ve learned more than I ever did here, or with Celestia. She sent me to Ponyville to hamper my potential, so I wouldn’t be a threat to her! It’s all so obvious in hindsight. All those tests were just to make sure I didn’t get too powerful…”

“Twilight that’s—”

Twilight continued talking, just loud enough to hear. “But’s that’s okay. Her plan failed. And now that I’ve finally realized my true potential, I can really show her the things I’ve learned. All eight-hundred-and-thirty-four of them. Of course, I’ll only need about fifty of those to take over Canterlot and kill Celestia—”

“What!?” everypony shouted.

The noise finally snapped Twilight out of her monologue. “Don’t interrupt me!” A burst of purple lightning arced off of Twilight’s body and struck the floor just in front of Applejack’s hooves. It came and went in an instant, but the massive scorch mark on the floor and the acrid smell in the air lingered.

There was a noticeable moment of silence as everypony stared at the floor, including Twilight.

“Twilight?” AJ’s voice was heavy with concern.

“I…” Twilight stared at the scorched floor, then her own body. “I don’t…”

She suddenly felt incredibly off. Her body felt heavy, constricted. It was like she was wearing dozens of metal shackles and hadn’t noticed until now.

“It’s alright, Twilight. Do you want a hug?” Rainbow offered.

“Or a nice glass of imported water?” Rarity asked.

Twilight put a hoof to her face. She suddenly felt incredibly tired. What happened to me? she asked herself. No answer came.

Everypony was so shocked by Twilight’s behavior that none of them noticed Pinkie inching towards her. She had been staring at Twilight’s wings ever since they had arrived: thinking about what it would feel like to touch one. Nopony would mind if she got a closer look. A flash of purple light and a weird smell threatened to distract her, but they weren’t important.

By the time Pinke was close enough to touch them, nopony could stop her in time. She heard a few ponies shouting about something, but that wasn’t important, either. They couldn’t possibly be shouting at her. She jabbed a hoof at the magic wing. It felt sort of fuzzy, and tingly.

Twilight’s shoulder twitched, and a pulse of magic flew off her body, knocking all six of her friends several feet backwards. Pinkie smacked into a chair, and the other five landed in a heap near the door.

Fluttershy tried to ask if everypony was okay, but her face was pressing into somepony’s leg.

Applejack tried to point out how overweight her friends were, but her face was pressing into somepony’s elbow.

Rarity tried to offer some helpful advice, but her face was pressing into somepony’s haunch.

Spike tried to push his way out of the pile, but there were four ponies pressing onto his arms.

Rainbow was completely content.

Twilight took her hoof out of her face and looked around. What happened?

Some lesser ponies tried to touch Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent, and Twilight Sparkle the Omnipotent didn’t take kindly to that.

That made sense. The voice didn’t sound quite like her own, but it made sense. Twilight unfurled her wings and started to hover a few feet above the floor.

“Well, thank you all for coming to see me off—”

“You’re welcome!” a muffled voice said.

“But I’ve wasted enough time here as it is. I have an appointment with the ‘Princess.’” She nearly spat the last word out. Energy started to crackle along her body.

“Twilight, wait!” Spike tried to reach out an arm, but was still pinned by the pony pile.

It was too late. Twilight vanished long before he had even shifted one claw.

Pinkie poked her head out from behind the overturned chair. “That was fun! Let’s do it again!”

“Pinkie, come get these ponies off me!” Spike shouted.

The mass of bodies murmured muffled assent.

“Ohh, dogpile! Why didn’t you invite me?” Pinkie took a few steps back, clearly intending to add herself to the pile in the most energetic manner possible.

“Pinkie, don’t!”

“Why not?”

“Uhm… we’re all sitting on a bunch of candy?”

“Oooh! Candy! I want some!”

With Pinkie’s help they all finally managed to get untangled and upright.

“Hey, where’s all the candy!?”

“Candy causes cavities, Pinkie.”

“There is no candy.” Applejack dusted off her hat and returned it to her head. “Well…that coulda gone better.”

“I know! This is simply dreadful!” Rarity said.

“It’s okay, Rarity, we’ll think of something.” Rainbow stroked Rarity’s mane, perhaps a few more times than strictly necessary.

“No, no, you don’t understand, Rainbow! If Twilight has infinite magical powers then what in the world am I supposed to get her for her birthday!? It’s a shopper’s nightmare!”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “We have bigger problems than your shopping list, Rarity. What are we supposed to do now?”

“We should give her a hug. A long, intimate, loving hug,” Rainbow suggested.

“Well, that’s a creepy plan,” Applejack said.

“Creepy? I’m don’t see how. I just want to spend a long time touching my friend, physically.” Rainbow continued to stroke Rarity’s mane as she explained herself.

“That sounds incredibly unsanitary,” Fluttershy said.

“Ooh, we should throw her a castle-warming party!” Pinkie gasped. “Do they make ‘congratulations’ cards for coups? That’s an untapped market right there!”

“A party could work.” Rarity rubbed her chin. “And I could make her a new cape and tiara for after she usurps Princess Celestia. I doubt Celestia’s would fit her.”

“Celestia wears capes?”

“No, Pinkie, the tiara.”

“Ugh, would y’all listen ta yerselves? These ideas are terrible!” Applejack punctuated her sentence with a stomp. “We need to be thinking of ways to stop her!”

“That sounds too dangerous,” Fluttershy said. “We should just sit back and wait for her to finish her assassination. I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt.”

There was a gentle knock at the door. Everypony was too absorbed in their argument to notice.

“Sweet apple cider, how many dumb statements am I gonna hafta put up with today? Y’all can’t be seriously suggestin’ we sit here an’ do nothin’!”

“I dunno, AJ,” Rainbow said. “Twilight is our friend, I’m sure she knows what she’s doing.”

Before Applejack could respond, the door slowly swung open, creaking just loudly enough to catch everypony's attention.

Everypony turned around just in time to see Princess Celestia walk in.

The Princess ducked under the door, though she managed to do even that in a deliberate, regal way. Once she was completely inside the building, she shut the door telekinetically and turned to Spike and the Elements. “Hello, my little ponies. I haven’t missed anything important, have I?”

Author's Note:

Before publishing this chapter EoE had been compared to; Project Saturation, the Pony POV series, and the Pony Psychology series (in that order).

I personally do not find these apt comparisons. Whether this chapter reaffirms those similarities (because super-crazy) or defies them (because it's still a comedy), I'll leave up to you, my highly intelligent and handsome audience. I still haven't read the latter two, though. And I had a pleasant chat with one of Project Saturation's animators and they confirmed that the two are quite dissimilar (lolwut human Discord?).

Music while writing this included Nine Inch Nails and Mindless Self Indulgence, for that super-fun breakdown feeling!