• Published 4th Aug 2020
  • 1,235 Views, 19 Comments

Equestria Girls 2: Rainbow Rocks - Taionia05

  • ...
6
 19
 1,235

Chapter 5: Musical Troubles

Author's Note:

I’m sorry for making you guys wait for an entire month, the thing was that I had school to do since it’s starting back up again. I was working on porting Twilight Sparkle in Sonic Robo Blast 2. And a bunch of other things too.

I was also doing another new story (don’t worry, I’m not pulling a Twilight’s Big Adventure again, but it might take a while for it to come out because I have school to do) and that also took a bit of my time.

This chapter was originally going to be released on September 29, (my birthday) but I didn’t want to spend most of my time without celebrating my birthday, so I thought about it and just published this now instead.

Meanwhile at Sweet Apple Acres, the group were getting ready for rehearsal and shortly played their instruments (Rainbow Dash and Sonic: Electric Guitar; Applejack, Knuckles and Mighty: Bass; Fluttershy and Cream: Tambourine; Charmy, Pinkie, and Amy: Drums; Vector: Electric Keyboard; Espio: Shamisen; Ray: Piano; Rouge: Electric Guitar (Jazz); Rarity: Keytar; Twilight and Tails: Lead Singer; and Cheese: Back up singer).

Twilight and Tails began to sing the beginning lyrics slightly off key, then a high pitch screech was heard, causing the two to sing out of pitch (sort of). Sunset turned the knob to change the pitch, but it caused the same high pitched screech to be heard again, but a bit more painful. Fluttershy gave a awkward smile to Twilight, which caused Shadow to shake his head ‘no’ and she stop playing.

Shortly after, Rainbow silent told Fluttershy to start back playing. The 3rd screech was heard again, causing Applejack, Rarity, and Ray to back down from the noise, then they gave a shrug to each other and looked at Pinkie, Charmy, and Amy with the former two trying to keep the drum stick on their hand. Amy shook the two and they quickly snapped back to reality to see Applejack, Rarity, and Ray giving them looks as the three began to play. Outside the barn house, Granny Smith was walking by and took out two already eaten apples and plugged them in her eyes and she continued walking by.

Twilight and Tails continued singing and looked at the lyric notes to be nothing but crossed out words and Rainbow and Sonic played their electric guitars and a glowing light above Rainbow’s head was shining. After the song ended, Rainbow and Sonic looked around and saw that no one was happy, causing the two to make a frown face.

“Eh, that sounded... way better than the last... five times you've played it.” Spike said, trying to not sound unsupportive followed up by a nervous chuckle.

“Nnope” Big Mac said outside as he walked pasted the barn yard.

“I think it's pretty obvious what's going wrong with this counter-spell.” Rainbow pointed out.

“You're turnin' what should be the chorus into a five-minute guitar solo?” Applejack said as she, Knuckles, Mighty, and Rarity gave her annoyed looks.

“I have to pick up the slack somehow!” said Rainbow as she tried to defend herself. “Are you guys even trying?!” Rainbow asked the band.

“I’m trying.” Cream said.

“And plus, the song not even done yet.” Amy added.

“It’s fine.” Twilight said to Cream and then nervously laughed. “It'll be fine. One more time from the top!” Twilight said, then was about to sing into the microphone, but Shadow covered her mouth and looked slump.

“Could you finish the song first?” Shadow asked Twilight, which she nodded her head as the black hedgehog moved his hand away from Twilight’s mouth.

“Or, perhaps we could take a short break, try on some of the wardrobe choices I've put together? I'm particularly fond of this one.” Rarity suggested as she pulled her small wardrobe and put on a hot pink dress with glitter on it, yellow shoulder pads, and a yellow line the goes around he neck collet and down the the bottom of the dress, creating a yellow boarder at the bottom. “Eh, of course we could always go with something a bit more modern.” Rarity said as she looked at the dress while Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy gave each other a raised eyebrow.

“In case you haven’t notice, we’re trying to save the world, not thinking about what costume we’re suppose to wear!” Mighty told Rarity, who was now in a robotic yellow helmet and a yellow suit.

”Oh, you can never have enough costumes!” Rarity said in a robotic voice as she turned away from Mighty with her arms crossed.

“She just wants to make things fun Mighty! Isn't that what being in a band supposed to be?” Charmy said to Mighty looking bored, then Pinkie played ‘rimshot’ and looked bored as well.

“We don’t have time for any of this!” Sunset told the others. “You're supposed to check in at the Battle of the Bands in fifteen minutes!”

“Fifteen minutes!” The group shouted as the same time as they began to gather their instruments.

“What? But it's not ready! If we play our counter-spell in the first round and it doesn't work, the sirens will know what we're up to and make sure we don't get a chance to play it again!” Twilight said in one breath as the others immediately stopped in their place and looked at Twilight.

“Then we’ll try our best to give you enough time to think on that counter spell of yours.” Espio said to Twilight.

“But how do you propose we do that?” Rarity asks.

“We compete in the Battle of the Bands for real!” Rainbow answered to the others. “I’ll take over Twilight’s lead vocals again and we stay alive until the finals! We unleash the counter-spell then!” Rainbow said as she turns to Twilight. “You'll have figured it out by finals, right?” Rainbow asks.

“Of course she will. Twilight Sparkle's never met a problem she couldn't solve.” Spike confidently said to the group as he turns to Twilight. “Right, Twilight?” Spike asked as Twilight awkwardly shook her head and gave a thumbs up.

“Twi knows what she’s doing ya know.” Sonic added.

“Then let's go win us a Battle of the Bands!” Rainbow said as both her and Sonic were about to run to the school, but they immediately stopped in their track by Espio.

“But we can’t compete without a band name, do anyone have any suggestions?” Espio asked the group, but they couldn’t think of a name.

“How bout ‘Chaos Rainbooms’ if that’s what ya askin’.” Granny Smith said as she walked into the backyard as she bit into an apple.

“That’s doesn’t sound that bad.” Tails said as the group nodded in agreement.

“Think about it. You guys used the Chaos Emeralds before and create rainbows with the magic of friendship.” Sunset said.

“Well no more waitin’ around, let’s get to the auditions as fast as we can!” Sonic said as he zipped off in the blue streak and Shadow followed in a yellow streak and the rest of the Chaos Rainbooms and Sunset followed too as Twilight stayed behind with Spike as she waved awkwardly.

“Are you sure you got this Twilight?” Spike asked his friend, which she responded by quickly shaking her head, causing the purple dog to gulp worriedly.

“We can’t just stand here doing nothing. Come on Spike.” Twilight said as Spike jump in her backpack as Twilight picked it up, put it on her back, and ran to CHS as fast as she can.


Meanwhile at CHS gym room, all the students sat on the bleachers and gave each other glaring looks and stayed in their own band group and stopped doing so when Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna walked up on stage.

Celestia tapped the microphone three times to see if it was working, which it and said, “Welcome students to the first ever Canterlot High School Battle of the Bands. I believe I speak for everyone when I say it is by far the greatest thing we have ever done here at this school!”

The students cheered with excitement as they pumped their fists in the air, gave each team members fist bumps, high fives, and nodded to one another.

“We are so glad our three newest students encouraged us to turn this event into something exciting!” Celestia added as she pointed her hand out to the Dazzlings and Sonata waved at everyone with a big smile on her face, Adagio swaying her hair back and crossed her legs, and Aria looking at Adagio and back to Celestia and Luna.

Celestia handed the mic to her sister for her speak as she said, “But their can only be one band that can become victorious, but who could it be?” This cause all the students to stop cheering and gave mean looks to one another and shortly after, everyone began to argue as the green aura surrounds them as fly into the Dazzlings’ necklaces, which causes their eyes to turn red for a second before their eyes turned back to normal.

“Getting our magic back is the easiest thing ever, these students are so easy to manipulate.” Aria said to Adagio and Sonata.

“And the best thing about it is that we’re only at half our magic and I can feel it being so close to reaching!” Adagio said as she clenched onto her necklace and eyes turning red again before turning back to normal when the double doors burst open for it to be Sonic and Shadow stopping in the middle of the gym.

“Hey! It those two from that group of students from earlier before?” Sonata asked the two as they also looked at the two hedgehogs. “Why do they look the same?” Sonata asked as the other sirens groaned.

“It is and so are the rest of them.” Adagio said as they looked at the rest of the Chaos Rainbooms catching up with Sonic and Shadow.

“But they aren’t affected by our magic. So how are we supposed to get their magic.” Aria asks Adagio.

“They just need a little...push in the wrong direction, but it’s not going to be easy to do so, but I have a feeling that they aren’t letting them win and they’ll give them a bad time as it happens.” Adagio told Aria as the Chaos Rainbooms watched the students arguing with each other, but what the Dazzlings attention was Flash Sentry talking to Twilight and Adagio just smiled as she looked down at them.

“Next up is Snips and Snails for their performance!” Principal Celestia said in the microphone as both her and Vice Principal Luna walked over to the small table in the middle of the gym and sat down in the chairs.

Snips and Snails walked onto the stage in their “rapping” like backward caps, sunglasses, gold necklaces, and a jacket as well outfits and the lights were on them now and they began their song.

(Look I don’t normally do this, but I refuse to put their song in more detail, so after 1 and a half minutes later, Snails crossed his and Snips dropped the microphone, creating a loud, screeching noise causing everyone to cover their ears.)

“Well...that was uh...an interesting performance. Also, don’t drop the microphone again.” Principal Celestia said to Snips while her sister was rating their performance as they walked off-stage and taunting the Chaos Rainbooms, but they walked slightly faster when Shadow growled at them.

“That was the most unbearable performance I ever heard in my entire life!” Ray said.

“Well at least they the least of our worries gettin’ into the finals.” Applejack to the band.

“Let show them how awesome our band is!” Rainbow Dash also said.

“Wait!” Pinkie told Dash, then asks, “Where’s Rarity?

“Oh! Here! I'm here!” A female student voice called out, grabbing the group's attention to see it was Rarity in a new musical showcase outfit as she stood up straight and posed in style, but her friends didn’t give a reaction, except Cheese by looking confused as his orb changed to a question mark.

“So what’s with a of...this?” Espio asked Rarity as he stuck his hand out at the outfits, which caused her to look slightly confused.

“Well we’ll be performing in front of an audience, and it would be an act of crime if I didn’t wear something fabulous?” Rarity said as she turned back to her friends and then swayed her hair as she stood with her hand in her hip and her leg up front the other, which made Applejack to groan and put her hand on her face and Sonic giving a sigh and shrug.

“Remember, we’ll need to be good enough to make it through but not so good we let the sirens see the magic within us. They could realize we plan to use it against them.” Twilight told the band before they walked up stage.

“Got it! Be cool enough to win, but not so cool that we end up showing off the whole ears and tails and rainbows thing. Sooo... about twenty percent less cool.” Rainbow said in her own type of language.

“And while we’re doing amazing, Twi can have more time to think of that counter spell against those girls!” Sonic added as he looks over to Twilight as she gave an awkward smile and rubbing the back of her head. “Are ya sure you got this just like Spike said?” The blue hedgehog asked, which she quickly replied by nodding.

“Now let’s go up there and Rock ‘n’ Roll!” Charmy cheered as the Chaos Rainbooms ran up stage as Sunset, Spike, Twilight, and Shadow stayed behind.

“I hope they do go up there.” Spike worryingly said.

“Well I’m more concerned about those students?” Shadow said, causing the purple dog to zip out of Sunset’s hands and beside Twilight, who was sitting near the wall trying to think of an counter spell. “They seem to be more aggressive than before and who know what they could be up to?” Shadow added as he looked at the students standing in their own band and giving other teams mean looks and some cracking their fist as well.

“You do have a point.” Twilight said, the she also said, “If anything goes wrong up there, make sure you stop it before if gets worse.” Shadow nodded before he turned his back away from Twilight and looked at the Chaos Rainbooms.


Up on stage, the Chaos Rainbooms looked down at the other band team and looked a bit worried that they’re still under the Dazzlings’ control.

“Okay team, lets try our best to make ourselves great, but not too much just like Twilight said.” Vector hushed to the Chaos Rainbooms.

“So let’s get this thing startin’!” Mighty also hushed towards the Chaos Rainbooms.

“One, Two!” Charmy and Pinkie yelled as they hit their drum sticks together to began playing.

[Shake Your Tail]

(Chaos Rainbooms)
We've just got the day to get ready
And there's only so much time to lose
Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party
So let's think of something fun to do

The Chaos Rainbooms sang, trying their best to make it to the finals, but Prim Hemline and her band planned to ruin the Chaos Rainbooms’ performance and to do so, she pulled out to magnets attached to a line.

We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen
We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right
All our friends are here
And it's time to ignite the lights!

Prim hoisted the two magnets down to Rarity and the metal fringes in her clothes were now attached to magnets, lifting Rarity off the ground a few inches, then Prim started to mess with the fashionista and move her like a puppet, which caused Applejack, Vector, and Shadow to look a bit skeptical, but only Shadow noticed it since Applejack and Vector couldn’t do anything and the black hedgehog quickly makes his way up on the platform before it gets worse.

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail

(Tails)

So what you didn't get it right the first time

While the Chaos Rainbooms continued performing, Pinkie noticed the CMC rolling their eyes to the music, she flip one of the drum and kicked the switch to shoot confetti in the air, which causes Rainbow, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Ray, Fluttershy, Cheese, Cream, and Rouge to look above them to see confetti.

(Pinkie Pie)

Laugh it off, no one said it is a crime

(Rouge)

Do your thing, you know you're an original

(Applejack)

Your ideas are so funny that they're criminal

Applejack sang as Rarity bumped into her, then kicked her away and got slightly annoyed.

(Chaos Rainbooms)

Ohhh-ahh!

They all harmonized, then one of the confetti was inhaled by Tails, which caused him to start chocking and fortunately, Mighty quickly rush towards Tails and hit the fox’s back and cough out the singular confetti and Tails looked at the crowd and they didn’t say a thing.

Meanwhile, Shadow reached Prim and her band mates rushed towards and snatched the string that was used for the magnets and materialized a yellow spear in his hand and cut the sting, allow Rarity to move freely and Prim and her band walked away from Shadow, but not before one of them growled at him.

We've just got the day to get ready
And there's only so much time to lose
Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party
So let's think of something fun to do

They Chaos Rainbooms continued performing and Snips and Snails sneaked up the platform and grabbed on of the headlights and moved it on above Fluttershy’s head and everyone had their eyes on her, but they couldn’t stop snickering and Shadow stood behind them and threw them off the platform and onto some bags to break their falls.

(Chaos Rainbooms)

We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen
We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right
All our friends are here
And it's time to ignite the lights!
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight
Shake your tail, shake your tail
Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!

The Chaos Rainbooms finished their performance and expected it to be horrible, but to their shock, a few of the students and Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna applauded to their performance which caused the Rainbooms eyes to widen and their pupils to shrink, but it quickly faded as they gave each other high fives.

“Well that went better than I thought it would be?” Ray said as they walked to the backstage with Sunset, Twilight, and Spike were.

“This is absolutely dreadful!” Rarity cried out. “These stupid magnets won’t get off of my newest outfit and it making my arms hurt from keeping them up after that!”

“I think they’re some scissors in a classroom to take them off of you.” Cream said to Rarity.

“Well at least you guys did better than the other band, but it won't matter if you don't have that counter-spell ready. You all find a place to practice where the sirens can't hear you. I'll keep an eye on things around here.” Sunset told the Chaos Rainbooms, then they turned their heads to Twilight, but she was too busy trying to think of the counter spell.

“So how that counter spell coming along Twilight?” Rainbow asked, which caused Twilight to put the book down and look at her friends.

“It um...going great!” Twilight nervously answered, but Spike only looked at her with an raised eyebrow and said nothing as he jumped into her backpack.

“Well you have to think about one quick before things get worse than it already has.” Knuckles said as Shadow landed on his feet next to Sonic, which startled him by surprise.

“Way to make grand entrance there bud!” Sonic responded to Shadow with his arms crossed.

“Hmph, the thing about those students is that some of band mates are getting worse.” Shadow said to the Chaos Rainbooms, which made them a little bit worried.

“So you’re saying that they were trying to sabotage our performance so and make everything really difficult for us?” Pinkie said in one breath and asked if she was correct, which the black hedgehog responded by a nod.

“I don’t mean to sound demanding, but you have to think about that counter spell really quick!” Rouge told Twilight, which she nervously smiled.

“Let’s find a place where the sirens can’t here us.” Espio said as they left out the door, but before they left, Rouge grabbed Shadow’s hand and dragged him with the others and group left the gym with Shadow leaving Sunset behind to watch over things and saw Derpy and her band performing.

As they left out the gym, the Dazzlings looked at them and then looked at each other and giggled, then Adagio told the two, “So they made it through the performance with barely any trouble? Alright girls, let’s trying something a bit more different. Adagio looked down at Flash Sentry and Aria and Sonata also looked at Flash and the three sirens smiled as their ruby necklaces glowed bright.