• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 3,416 Views, 251 Comments

Luster Dawn: New Days of the Magic of Friendship - SamSwordsman123



Twilight wants to break the curse of immortality to pass with her friends. But first she must find a Successor to take her place. Can she do it or does Equestria need her to stay? What tests await candidate Luster Dawn as an ancient villain returns?

  • ...
22
 251
 3,416

Chapter 25 Dawn of a New Ruler

Many years passed across the land under Twilight’s guidance. She preserved her homeland to the best of her abilities until Luster was ready to take the throne. Now, tonight she would leave Equestria in the hooves of somepony else and join her friends. They’d discussed their retirement, and agreed to go to Silver Shoals like Twilight’s predecessors. Their time would soon be upon them, and she needed to transfer her immortality if she was to join them.

Luster waited nervously for Rarity to finish adjusting her dress for the coronation. “Do you really think I’m ready to become the next ruler of Equestria?” she asked the older mare.

Rarity giggled. “When we were younger, Twilight doubted herself many times. She’d have the worst panic attacks and make long checklists. We called it Twilighting. You are very much like her, darling. That’s why I’m sure you are ready. You’ve come to understand friendship as much as she has. Believe in yourself, Luster.”

Luster sighed. Rarity’s kind words did not fully convince her, and so she waited in silence. The fashionista pony later stopped and began scanning the gown from top to bottom, one final check to ensure everything was in order.

“This is going to be the last dress I will ever make,” Rarity said sadly, but then brightened up. “At least I don’t have to worry about leaving spiders on you like I did with Twilight at her coronation. I do hope everything else goes smoothly for the others. It will be a good chance at redemption this time around.”

Luster chuckled softly. She’d heard about the coronation disaster. Everything went wrong with Twilight’s friends doing their tasks. She’d assumed it had been the reason that they’d apparently drifted apart, but she’d been wrong. Twilight and her friends were still close as ever, now that Luster was taking over, they would be able to spend their final days together at Silver Shoals. All of them had done so much for Equestria over the years. They deserved to be together after spending so much time apart.

She emerged from the changing room to meet her parents. Starlight and Sunburst both smiled at their daughter in the purple dress Rarity made for her. Trixie was there with them as well, along with Luster’s friends that all helped her defeat Grogar. It seemed so long ago now. So much had changed over the last few years. Georgia was going to take over Fluttershy’s animal sanctuary with Iggy. River joined a traveling comedy show made in honor of Cheese Sandwich. Yelena would be keeping the Hayburger business going. Gallop, meanwhile, he and Luster were now engaged and planned to marry sometime after the coronation.

“You look beautiful, Luster,” Starlight said, nuzzling her daughter. “We’re both so proud of you.”

“Yeah, first you go to Celestia’s school and became so talented. Unlike me,” Sunburst said with a nervous grin as he adjusted his glasses. “Then you become Twilight’s protégee, and now you’re going to be the new Ruler of Equestria!”

“You’re one great and powerful pony. Taking after your Aunt Trixie!” Trixie said with a smirk as she poked Luster. “As well as Mommy, Daddy, and goody four hooves Twilight, of course.”

Luster blushed. “Thanks, Mom, Dad, Aunt Trixie. I’m glad you are all so proud.”

“They’re not the only ones, you know!” Gallop said as he walked up to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Friends all proud of Luster!” Yelena said.

“That’s right!” River agreed. “You deserve this, Luster!”

“You’ve come a long way,” Georgia exclaimed as she flew up.

“I couldn’t have done it without all of you,” Luster said.

They all hugged.

“Well, you best not keep Twilight waiting. We’ll see you down there,” Starlight said.

They went to the banquet area below the tower while Luster made her way to the top where Twilight would be addressing her subjects for the transfer of power. The princess stood there magnificently, Spike at her side. Twilight smiled at Luster, then looked below. The crowd contained every species in Equestria; ponies, yaks, kirin, changelings, hippogriffs, dragons and more.

Twilight began her speech. “It has been my honor to govern this country in place of Celestia and Luna since their retirement. But now it is my turn to hand over the throne to another successor. Luster Dawn has proven to me that she is capable—”

“Now, hold on!” a loud voice echoed throughout Canterlot, startling every creature present.

Discord suddenly materialized out of thin air above them. Twilight jumped.

“You honestly expect me to let you simply walk out on your crown after all the tests I gave you to prepare you to take it?” he asked, grabbing her by the face. “Why in Equestria are you doing this? Oh wait, let me guess! It is because you’re afraid of outliving your friends since you’ve been made immortal!”

There were gasps from the crowd below at this revelation.

“Princess Twilight is immortal?”

“Can that really be true?”

“She has the same flowing mane as Celestia and Luna!”

“But they died!”

Discord looked from Twilight to the crowd below. “Why don’t you go ahead and tell them the truth?”

Twilight was silent for a moment, then gave him a big frown. Everything had been going perfectly so far. She walked over to the balcony and spoke once again.

“Yes. It is true. I am immortal like Celestia and Luna were! During my coronation, they transferred their powers over the sun and moon… the source of their immortality… to me.”

“The sun and moon?” one pony said.

“I thought it was because they were alicorns!” another stated.

Many ponies began speaking at once, their voices overlapping.

“Quiet! One at a time!” she screamed in her royal voice before pointing to a random pony. “You! What are your thoughts on this!?”

The stallion she’d pointed to hesitated before gaining the courage to speak. “Well, I… I am surprised that you are trying to pass on the crown to somepony else even though you could rule forever.”

Many ponies nodded at this.

“You are our princess! How can you just choose to leave us like this?”

“Please stay, Princess Twilight! We love you! We need you to protect us!”

Twilight’s heart fell seeing all the saddened and angry ponies who were now upset by her decision. But there was no turning back. “Believe me! I wish I could please you all! But if I stay immortal, it will mean losing all my best friends!”

The crowd fell silent. Down in the crowd, Twilight’s friends were looking up at her with teary eyes.

“She’s actually willing to give up something like immortality and ruling for us?” Applejack said.

“Oh, what a friend!” Rarity exclaimed in her dramatic voice. “I don’t know if I could do the same!”

“So loyal,” Rainbow Dash said with admiration.

A blue dragon wielding a scepter flew up to the balcony where Twilight stood with Luster, Discord, and Spike. Like the purple and green dragon, Ember had grown up these past few decades. Though she had grown slower and Spike had become taller, she still maintained her lean dragon figure. Still, when she landed, she caused a soft thud.

“You know Twilight,” Ember said. “Even if you do outlive your main group of friends, it’s not like you will lose all of them. You still have me, Spike, and others.”

Twilight sighed. “You’re right, Ember. I will always have friends as the Princess of Friendship. But many more of them will pass sooner or later. I’d be facing an unending cycle of loss, just like Celestia did in her reign. That was the hardest part of her job. She only remained on the throne for a thousand years because she wanted Luna back.”

Discord chuckled. “You don’t need to necessarily lose any of them, your Highness. I brought Sombra back from the dead! I’ve kept little Angel Bunny from aging all these years for Fluttershy. I could easily halt every creature’s aging process with a snap of my fingers! You can rule over a land of immortals!”

There was a moment of astonished silence.

“Are you crazy?” Applejack yelled from down below. “Do you have any idea how much the population would grow if every creature was immortal!? We’d never be able to feed that many ponies without seriously damaging the environment!”

Discord sighed. “You’re right! So much for that idea! Well, here’s another option. I could simply make the five of you immortal!”

He pointed to the Mane Five whose eyes widened. “That way, Twilight has all her best friends by her side. Together forever.”

The five of them fell silent for a moment.

“Immortal Rainbow Dash does have an awesome ring to it!” the Pegasus said.

Applejack put a hoof on Rainbow Dash, shaking her head. “That’s a generous offer and all, Discord. But I’m gonna have to refuse. Death is a natural occurrence, and… should be accepted. We’ve all lost members of our family.”

She looked down, clutching the scarf that had once belonged to Granny Smith who’d passed on shortly after Celestia and Luna. Her eyes began to tear. Noticing this, Rainbow Dash put a foreleg around her friend to comfort her. Pinkie Pie made a similar look as she thought of Cheese Sandwich.

Rarity sighed. “As much as I relish the thought of remaining young and beautiful forever, I find the idea of watching everypony else I love die to be ugly beyond words.”

“Wouldn’t be a fun thing,” Pinkie Pie said. “Ever since I lost Cheese Sandwich, I’ve felt as though there’s a part of my happiness gone forever!”

Fluttershy looked down in remorse. “It would be cruel, not only for us but of us as well to do that.”

Discord looked at her in shock.

“Fluttershy, you don’t want to die, do you? I certainly don’t want you to!”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Nopony or creatures wants to die. But immortality is not something everycreature can be happy with.”

“I’m immortal and I’m happy!” Discord declared.

“You are different Discord, you are the Spirit of Chaos. You were born this way, I’m just a pony.”

“But then why did you let me prevent Angel from dying?” he asked.

“He wanted to live longer, and I wanted him to live as long as I would!” Fluttershy replied.

“But then… why not spend eternity with me?” Discord asked.

“I love you Discord. I would be glad to spend eternity with you if all the others were willing to do it. But it’s not up to me to make their choices. And I’ve seen enough life to know it can be painful as well. I think at some point I would lose my desire for life given enough time. I would much prefer to live a shorter life rather than wait until it loses all its happiness.”

“Oh poo! Well, what does everypony think Twilight should do then?” Discord asked turning back to the crowd.

The ponies looked up at their ruler who shivered nervously.

“Well,” the same stallion who’d spoken first said. “We don’t want Princess Twilight to rule us if it would hurt her. But… if she is gone, then who is going to be responsible for maintaining harmony in Equestria?”

“All of you will, of course,” Twilight said proudly, now feeling a wave of relief.

“All of us?” the stallion asked.

Twilight nodded. “When I defeated Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow the first time, I told them that there would always be darkness in Equestria, but there will always be light as well to oppose it. The Magic of Friendship is that light, and even if my friends and I are gone, others will continue our mission after we are. But more… I believe that it is truly my time to pass on the torch. Truthfully, I don’t think that if I stayed behind after my friends died, I’d be able to wield the Magic of Friendship anymore. Celestia lost her ability to use that magic after she banished Luna, who was her one true friend. The same goes for me, I could never find friends as true as those I made in them. It would only grow weaker the more friends I lose. Even the thought of that weakens my magic. If not for Luster, I would have fallen against Grogar. There is no doubt in my mind she is fully capable of taking on my role as the Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria now. I know that I’m leaving you all in capable hooves. But I must leave this choice to Luster as well.”

She turned to her student.

Luster gaped at her teacher. “So, you’re going to give me immortality?”

Twilight nodded.

“What if I don’t want that?” Luster asked. “I know that it can be a gift, but I don’t know if it's worth it. I mean, if Celestia and Luna gave it up…”

Twilight nodded. “That would depend on your point of view. Whether you think the benefit outweighs the costs. But know this, the power over the sun and moon can be transferred to another pony if you wish. You can find a successor of your own if you so choose. Ever since I heard Starlight was pregnant with you, I had high hopes that you could be the one to help me break the curse!”

“So, I can choose another to take my place?” Luster asked.

“Yes… or you can keep it and rule as long as you like. The choice is yours.”

Luster looked at her mentor, unsure what to do. In a way, Twilight wanted Luster to take her life from her. But watching all her loved ones die while she remained trapped in time sounded even worse. And if Luster didn’t take it, who would? Besides, Twilight would be happy this way, and while Luster wanted her mentor to live, she didn’t want to force Twilight to suffer… after quickly considering all the alternatives, she nodded.

“I’ll take it,” Luster said. “And do the same as this someday.”

Twilight smiled with teary eyes. There was just one final thing to do now. She looked back at her subjects below. “To be fair, I think it would be best to vote. All with faith in Luster raise your hooves!”

Twilight did so, quickly followed by her friends sitting at their table. Many ponies and other creatures raised their hooves or claws as well. Knowing that Twilight’s magic would weaken if she lost her friends, they knew they needed a new group of protectors to defend them and carry on the Magic of Friendship.

Twilight smiled. “That settles it then.”

She lifted her crown from her head and shot a beam of magic into it. Just as it did at her coronation years ago when Celestia and Luna transferred their power to her, it took on a new form. Now it was a sun crown similar to Celestia’s, though with Luster’s rising sun cutie mark at the top. Twilight then put it on Luster's head, Equestria now had a new ruler and Princess of Friendship.

“All hail Princess Luster Dawn! Ruler of Equestria!”

With the crowning ceremony over, everycreature had a chance to talk and enjoy each other’s company. Twilight gathered with her friends at a table down below just as she had years ago after being bestowed with her own crown. Now she had abandoned it along with her golden shoes.

“At least the food was served properly this time since I was here to make sure,” Applejack said. “But still, that was a bit of a bump in the road, wouldn’t you say, Twilight?”

“Yes,” Twilight agreed. “There are always going to be those. But I’m glad we’ll all be spending the rest of our days together at Silver Shoals after this.”

“It's awesome that we’ll see each other every day from now on! Just like the good old days,” Rainbow Dash said. “Hate to leave the Wonderbolts, though.”

“We all have to retire at some point,” Applejack said. “None of us are getting any younger.”

“Indeed. I’ve already got several gray hairs,” Rarity said. “What I get for being such a drama queen, I suppose.”

“Still, I’m surprised you never got a husband, Rarity,” Spike said. "I mean, I had the biggest crush on you when I was little.”

The white unicorn smiled as she leaned into Spike’s side. “I know. That was very sweet of you, Spike. But I suppose not getting a husband is what I get for being greedy at Shining Armor and Cadence’s wedding.”

Spike arched his eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I mean pushing the other bridesmaids out of the way…. that wasn’t a very generous moment on my part. The one who catches the bouquet is supposed to be the next to get married, but it never happened to me. Though I did have a lot on my plate with all my fashion business and traveling around Equestria. I just didn’t have time for a husband or a foal. Besides, my whininess probably would have annoyed him. I’m surprised you put up with me when I had you carry so many things at times.”

“Hey, I was a big strong dragon even then!” Spike said with a grin as he flexed his muscles, causing everypony to laugh.

Rarity gave him a loving smile. “Oh, Spikey Wikey.”

As they sat and talked, three familiar mares approached their table. Twilight smiled at the grown-up Cutie Mark Crusaders who were still teachers at her old School of Friendship.

“Howdy Twilight!” Applebloom said.

“Hello ladies!” Twilight said as she got up and wrapped her wings around the three of them in a hug.

“We missed having you in Ponyville!” Sweetie Belle chimed.

“I missed you too!” Twilight replied. “But I’m proud of the work you’ve done for the school all these years! You’ve come a long way from the three little fillies who worked so hard to get themselves their cutie marks.”

“Thanks! Now you’re going to Silver Shoals, just like Celestia and Luna to retire and…” Scootalloo started.

“Yes,” Twilight said. “To live out the rest of my days with my best friends.”

“You could have stayed immortal, though. Ruled for a thousand years like Celestia.”

Twilight shook her head. “She had it rough. Celestia may not have shown it, but she kept a lot of grief hidden away behind her smiles. So many friends passed during the course of her reign. I have no intention of sharing that pain.”

They finished their meal, then Twilight decided it was time to say goodbye to Luster and the others. She got to her hooves and made her way to her former student who sat with all her friends and parents.

“Well, we’re leaving then. Goodbye, Luster,” Twilight said as she approached her student and gave her a nuzzle.

“I’ll be able to come and see you at Silver Shoals though, right?” Luster asked

“Of course. You are always welcome, until the end,” Twilight said before turning to Starlight and Sunburst. “Your daughter is really special. I’m sure you're both proud.”

“Beyond words, Twilight,” Starlight said. “I learned a lot from you back when I was your pupil. But I’m glad I never became a princess. Who knows whether that would have caused me to become a tyrant again?”

“Oh, come on, dear,” Sunburst put a hoof around his wife. “Your cult leader days are long behind you. You would have made a great princess if you ever got the chance.”

“Will you be retiring soon as well?” Twilight asked.

Starlight nodded. “I’ll probably put Ocellus in charge. She’ll watch over the castle, school, and map. Guess she’ll be Head Changeling of the school and stewardess of the castle.”

Twilight nodded. “I’m sure Ocellus will do a great job. You and Sunburst certainly did. I’m proud of you both.”

She was hugged by Luster, Starlight, and Sunburst, then it was time to go. Twilight joined Spike and all her friends from her Ponyville days. They would spend the rest of their lives together at Silver Shoals. It would be just like the good old days, but with no disturbances from danger.

As Twilight left to say goodbye to Luster, Spike also had someone he needed to say goodbye to as well. He met Dragon Lord Ember among her kind, the dragons were laughing as at the entertainment put on by the now grown-up cake twins and Pinkie Pie's son, Lil’ Cheese.

"Hey, Ember!” Spike called out as he approached her.

“Spike!” the lean blue Dragon Lord said, flying up to Spike to hug her first-ever real friend. Ember had grown more accustomed to feelings and displays of affection over the years and now had no problem with displaying them.

They embraced each other for a moment, then Spike said, “Twilight’s going to Silver Shoals. Just thought I’d come and say goodbye.”

Ember nodded. “Too bad she decided to give up that immortality. First pony friend I ever made. Ah well, life goes on, right? We all have different lifespans. Speaking of which, what are you going to do once she’s gone?”

“What?” Spike asked.

“You realize even if she doesn’t outlive her friends, you’ll outlive all of them,” Ember said. “We dragons live for a few thousand years. My dad’s getting pretty old, though. Probably be gone in a century or two.”

This had not occurred to Spike, and the thought chilled him to the core. He would spend thousands of years without Twilight and all their friends? They were like his family! Fate had threaded them together long ago, since the day of Spike’s birth when Rainbow Dash had performed her first-ever Sonic Rainboom. All the others acquired their cutie marks as a result of that and Twilight hatched him from the egg during her entrance exam at the School for Gifted Unicorns.

They’d all been together for the best years of Spike’s life. All his best friends and his first love. Now… they were all going to leave him someday soon. He lowered his head in sadness.

Ember put her claws over her mouth. “Oh! I’m sorry, Spike! Me and my big mouth! Just like when I first tried making pony friends.”

She pulled him into another hug.

“You know it’s not going to be forever. Just a few thousand years before you see them again in the afterlife. If there is one, that is.”

“That’s not exactly comforting, Ember.”

“Well… uh…” Ember paused in thought, hoping to find the right words to console her friend. “You’ll always have me! Why don’t you come to the dragon lands after…”?

“That’s a great idea!” someone said.

Spike looked in the direction of the loud shout and saw a red dragon a bit bigger than him.

“Hiya, Spikey Wikey!” Garble said with a friendly smile.

Spike returned the smile halfheartedly and accepted Garble’s high claw.

“Garble,” he greeted his former enemy turned friend.

“So, you’re gonna come live with us after the old pony princess passes, huh?” Garble asked.

Spike gave a frown at gun. “Hey, don’t insult my big sister!” he snapped.

“She’ll be your little sister before long if you keep growing!” Garble said with a chuckle. “Anyway, I’m totally down for having you live in the dragon lands!”

“Now hold on, Garble, he didn’t say yes.” Ember corrected. “Just think about it, Spike. We’ll be waiting to welcome you with open claws if you accept.”

“Right, thanks.” Spike replied before walking off.
He turned around and noticed Pinkie Pie talking with the cake twins and Lil Cheese.

“You guys make sure to keep the parties going strong in Ponyville, okay?” Pinkie requested. “Just don’t do anything crazy like Cheese Sandwich did?”

“Don’t worry, Mommy!’ Lil Cheese said with a smile. “I’ll be sure to avoid anything that could result in a terrible tragic accident!”

“We’ll make sure he does,” Pumpkin Cake said.” Don’t worry, Auntie Pinkie! You just enjoy your retirement with your friends!”

Pinkie Pie hugged them while Spike watched, a smile returning to his face. Pinkie Pie then began walking back from where she’d come. A fun idea then occurred to Spike; he flapped his wings. He saw Pinkie’s tail twitch as her magical sense came in, but it was too late! Spike seized her from above and flew back toward the table where the rest of the girls sat.

“Wee!” Pinkie screamed for joy at the brief but very fun exciting ride.

Twilight returned from talking with Luster and the others.

“Everypony ready to go?”

They all nodded. The Mane 6 and Spike then began the walk to the train station, which would take them to Silver Shoals...

Author's Note:

Well we’ve finally made it to the chapters which made up the end of the story from the original one Passing On Together. Made a few little modifications here but not many, such as including Luster’s friends a little bit and taking out the flashback of when Luster defeated Grogar which appeared in the last chapter.