• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 3,473 Views, 251 Comments

Luster Dawn: New Days of the Magic of Friendship - SamSwordsman123



Twilight wants to break the curse of immortality to pass with her friends. But first she must find a Successor to take her place. Can she do it or does Equestria need her to stay? What tests await candidate Luster Dawn as an ancient villain returns?

  • ...
22
 251
 3,473

Chapter 18 Galloping Gala

Luster pulled her mane out of its usual ponytail and let it flow straight. Her friends were all there with her at the Ponyville Spa. They climbed into the tub, soon feeling soothed by the hot water. They each let out a relieved sigh, and after unwinding, stepped out into bathrobes.

Luster put her head under the mane dryer along with River and Yelena. She and her friends then went to the changing room and dressed in their outfits for the Gala.

Luster emerged in the same orange dress she’d bought before the Starcutter Crisis. She also had red shoes and the blue amulet her mother gave her to allow her to see through a changeling's disguise.

Around her, her female friends grinned. River was in the same dark blue dress she’d bought with Luster. It had patterns of running water and waves on it. The Kirin adorned a pair of raindrop earrings on her ears as well. Georgia took off the crimson bell scarf around her neck and put on a bright red dress, it had no symbols as griffons lacked cutie marks, but she did include a gold collar from Griffonstone meant to be used at formal occasions.

Luster looked at her reflection in the mirror.

“How do I look?” she asked River.

“Great!” the Kirin said. “That sun hair piece and the flames on your dress just scream hot!”

Luster blushed. “Well, I just hope Gallop likes it.”

She opened the door to the changing room and found the young stallion himself waiting outside. His green tuxedo reminded Luster of the lettuce on a hayburger. His eyes widened as he saw Luster in her dress.

“Whoa, Luster, you look… great!” Gallop said, turning red as ketchup.

“Thanks,” Luster replied with a nervous smile. “You too.”

They smiled at each other for a moment, then-

“Luster, move please!” Yelena said as she waited behind.

“Sorry,” Luster said, walking out of the yak’s way.

The Future Five exited from the spa. As they walked around Ponyville, the passing by ponies looked at them with wide open smiles.

“So, are we just gonna take the train to Canterlot?” River asked.

Luster shook her head. “My mom scheduled a couple Pegasus flown carriages to take us there. She’s coming as well, so she can meet with Princess Twilight.”

Luster led them to the Castle of Friendship. Starlight, Sunburst, and Trixie all waited for them outside in their own outfits for the gala. Starlight smiled with teary eyes as she watched Luster walking alongside Gallop.

“Oh, my little filly’s all grown up and going on a date!” she said. “Mommy’s so proud!”

“Mom!” Luster cried out. “That’s embarrassing!”

“Sorry, honey. Well, is everycreature ready?”

They nodded.

In the apartment Queen Chrysalis was hiding in, she looked at Cozy Glow.

“You’re certain that Luster Dawn is going to this Gala tonight?”

Cozy nodded. “It’s the biggest party in Canterlot that occurs only once a year. Twilight is hosting it now. She has to invite her student!”

“Well then, this would be a perfect opportunity to take Luster Dawn!” Chrysalis said, getting up. “Let us be off!”

“Hold on! She has an amulet that can see through your disguises!” Cozy reminded her as she got in front of the former queen. “I think I better go alone!”

“What about Lord Tirek?” Chrysalis asked.

“He’s busy working for that rich pony!” Cozy said.

Chrysalis scowled for a moment. “Fine, but you better not fail me. Follow Luster Dawn and grab her as soon as the opportunity arises! Here, you’ll need this.”

The changeling queen levitated a small silver that had a pair of swirling patterns on it toward Cozy.

“Stick that on her horn and it will render her magic useless,” Chrysalis said.

Cozy nodded. “Right.”

She turned and began to walk out of the apartment they rented, but Chrysalis stopped her.

“Cozy!”

The mare stopped and looked back at the changeling.

“Be careful,” Chrysalis said.

“You’re worried about me then?” Cozy asked.

“Well, I’ve gotten used to you by now,” Chrysalis said. “It’s pleasing to have others that are there for you. We are… friends, after all. Aren’t we?”

“No!” Cozy said.

Chrysalis’ eyes widened slightly.

“We’re fiends!” Cozy grinned.

“Ah, yes! Fiends!” Chrysalis said with an evil laugh. “I like that better. We... fiends, have to stick together! I just wish I could come with you.”

“I know, but the amulets Luster and Starlight have detect changeling transformations. She would see through your disguise in an instant. Besides... you’re the queen. Just relax and let this humble little pony do your dirty work!”

Chrysalis glanced at the smiling pony, and after a moment smiled herself.

The carriages drawn by the royal guards were taken directly to Canterlot Castle. Starlight tipped each Pegasus a few bits.

“Thank you very much, good sirs!” she said.

They made their way to the front doors where Spike sat at desk. The dragon advisor wore a black tux with a red tie.

“Tickets, please! Tickets! No creature gets in without tickets!” Spike said.

They got into the line. It took a little bit of waiting, but as more and more ponies presented their tickets, the Future Five and Luster’s family got closer until they were in front of Spike.

“Ah, hey, Starlight!” he said as they approached. “I was expecting you to show up!”

“Thank you, Spike!” Starlight said and started walking in... only to be stopped by his muscular claw.

"Tickets, please!"

Starlight arched her eyebrow. "Seriously? You know who I am!"

Spike's face was formal and empty. "Yes, a pony who needs to show me her ticket."

Starlight began searching for her ticket, grumbling. "Somebody is enjoying his position way too much today…"

"The Great and Powerful Trixie thinks that Spike is just giving everycreature an equal treatment." Trixie's lips curled into a smirk. "You of all ponies should know how that is, Starlight."

Starlight glared back at the smirking mare, but a smirk of her own quickly filled her face. "Well, I guess that's better than him trying to search everycreature for a ticket with the power of some mind-altering amulet."

Trixie's smile flattened. She bit her lip and glanced at the ground. "... touché."

"Anyway... Here you go, Mr. Stickler!" Starlight said, finally levitating her ticket. "Happy now?"

With a formal expression, Spike began scrutinizing the piece of paper. "... actually, it looks kind of forged..."

"SPIKE!"

Starlight's yell finally shattered Spike's mask, forcing a smile back on his face. "Okay, okay, go right in!"

“Thank you!” Starlight said, but as soon as they passed him, she turned to Trixie. "Did you put him up to this?"

Trixie huffed dramatically. "The Great and Powerful Trixie is appalled that you would even consider such a thing!" But then she smirked back again. "But she wouldn't rule that possibility out completely."

Starlight opened her mouth, but before she could utter a word, they walked into the castle to the entrance hall. Princess Twilight stood on the balcony as creatures climbed the stairs.

“Welcome,” she said to them as they made their way up.

“Princess!” Luster said as she, her family, and friends all approached.

“Hello, Luster. It’s good to see my top student and her family and friends here!” Twilight said.

Starlight hugged Twilight. “It’s been so long since I’ve been in Canterlot for a night of fun,” she said. “I’m glad you invited us.”

“I figured it would probably do you some good with all that’s going on. Enjoy the Gala!” Twilight added as another pair of creatures passed her.

“Twilight!” Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared from behind the princess. “Are you gonna stand here all-night welcoming ponies and other creatures? Remember it really disappointed you when you stayed by Celestia’s side all night and she was too occupied by everypony else!”

Twilight giggled. “Don’t worry, Pinkie, I’ll be setting up times when anypony can approach me and others can’t. That way, I can set aside time for the ponies that matter most to me!”

She led them to the banquet hall where everycreature gathered. The rest of her friends stood in the back of the hall, including Discord. Twilight walked over and joined them before turning to face her many guests. Then she lit up her horn, and her voice could be heard through all of Canterlot.

“Welcome mares, gentlecolts, and all creatures from Equestria!” she said. “I hope you are all ready for the Grand Galloping Gala!”

“Yes! Yes!” River said eagerly.

“We have prepared a wide variety of things here this evening! First and foremost is, of course, dancing and partying! The parties have been planned by none other than the best party pony in Equestria, my friend Pinkie Pie!”
Pinkie grinned widely.

“There will also be a food stand run by Applejack featuring her finest apple cuisine. So don’t forget to stop there!” Twilight said.

Applejack waved.

“Y’all have a good time partying tonight, and if you get hungry, I have plenty of treats for y’all! Hope to see ya soon!”

The cowgirl pony walked outside. Rarity meanwhile looked in wonderment at all the outfits.

“Oh, such lovely dresses and fabulous tuxes everywhere I look!" she remarked. "So many of them were made from shops I own all across Equestria!”

Discord turned to Fluttershy. “Are you ready for a night of fun, my love?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy said politely. “Just don’t go threatening to send somepony to another dimension. A little chaos to liven things up won’t hurt, but don’t take it too far.”

“Right, perhaps I should take a vacuum cleaner to Rarity. It was absolutely hilarious the way she just covered herself when there was nothing to see!”

“Well, excuse me!” Rarity scowled. “I was stripped naked in front of everypony!”

“You’re about the only pony who ever worries about that!” Rainbow Dash said. “We don’t usually wear clothes!”

“Well, if I had my way, everypony would wear clothes all the time!” Rarity said.

Fluttershy and Discord both flew out onto the dancefloor while Pinkie began playing her many instruments, and music filled the room.

Luster looked at her friends, “Well, are you guys all ready?”

“Yelena wanna go to Applejack’s applestand!”

“I think I’ll stay and start dancing, or maybe I’ll see if Pinkie will let me sing a song or two!” River said. “Then maybe I can get the Princess to notice me and make me her royal entertainer!”

Luster looked at Gallop. They both blushed.

“Well, guess it's you and me then, Luster!” Gallop said.

Cozy Glow noticed Spike collecting tickets.

“Uggh! I forgot I needed one to get in!” the disguised Pegasus said. “What do I do?”

She thought for a minute, putting a hoof to her chin. Then a wicked thought occurred. Cozy Glow made her way away from the castle and hid in the tall bushes that had been shaped like a pony along the path. If she could just ambush a lone mare heading in, she could steal her ticket.

It took some time, many of the mares had either friends or dates, but sure enough, there was one unescorted that came up the path to the castle.

The unsuspecting mare stepped in front of the bushes Cozy hid in, and the psychotic filly who had transformed into an adult seized her. There was a small yelp and a few sounds of hooves punching, then Cozy emerged from the bushes in the mare's dress which held the ticket in its pocket. Cozy got the twigs and leaves out of the dress, then made her way back to the castle entrance where Spike sat. A bit of sweat fell down her brow as she approached. Even with her body transformed to look like a different color and a grown-up, she was still worried that somepony might suspect her.

Giving a fake smile, Cozy presented her ticket to Spike.

“Go right in!” the dragon said.

Cozy smirked. He was so easy! Now came the hard part….

Luster looked at Gallop.

“Well?”

“Well what?” Gallop asked.

“Do you want to dance?”

“Yeah!”

“No, you ask me!” Luster said.

“Oh, uh-“

“Excuse me?”

Luster turned and to her surprise, saw Princess Flurry Heart approaching her. The younger alicorn wore a sparkling blue dress for the Gala.

“Oh, Princess Flurry Heart!” she said with a bow. “What are you doing here?”

Flurry smiled. “I wanted to come by and see my aunt. The Crystal Empire usually has a Grand Galloping Gala, but we didn’t have it this year since we had that crisis with Starcutter. But I would like to thank you for defeating that traitor.”

“Ah, yes, that... If you don't mind me asking, were you able to get more information out of him?” Luster asked.

Flurry shook her head. "He’s still standing by that ridiculous story about Grogar. Though we haven’t found anything like a journal detailing his plans, there’s no denying he was the one responsible for what happened. But, I didn't come here to kill the mood, but would you two care to join me for a meal?”

Luster looked at Gallop. “I guess we can dance after we eat, right, Gallop?”

“Sure, no rush!” Gallop agreed. “Who wouldn’t want to dine with a princess?”

At that moment, the door to the banquet hall opened again, and a familiar pony entered. It was Pale Palace, the one that Luster had run into with River at the Hayburger.

Cozy Glow saw the many attendees in the banquet hall - Luster Dawn was among them. She walked inside casually. She’d located her target; now she just needed to wait for the right time. Once Luster was alone, Cozy Glow could nab her.
She looked around, trying to play the part of a party going pony. She spotted a table filled with a variety of drinks and looked over them. She quickly settled on fruit punch, as it was her favorite. Taking a sip, she glanced around the hall and saw Luster Dawn sitting with a male Earth Pony and Princess Flurry Heart. There was now a Kirin on the stage singing while Pinkie played her many instruments in one.

“Excuse me!” a voice said.

Cozy Glow turned and saw Princess Twilight.

“Oh, your highness!” Cozy said, bowing her head.

Though she managed to pull off a calm look, Cozy felt nervous. Twilight was much bigger now, equal to the size of Celestia. Twilight looked at her with unmistakable suspicion.

“You remind me of somepony I used to know, somepony who recently escaped confinement,” Twilight said, her eyes narrowed.

Cozy gave a fearful look. She was gonna get caught! There would be nothing she could do about it this time! She’d been able to battle royal guards last time because the Bewitching Bell, in addition to making her an alicorn, had also gifted her with knowledge on how to use the magic. Against Celestia and Luna, she had been able to use the bell since she’d known she wasn’t gonna be able to beat them head-to-head. But now, as just an ordinary Pegasus, she didn’t have a chance.

But when Twilight spoke, it was with a giggle. “But you can’t be her! She’s only a filly after all and hasn’t grown up since she was trapped in stone.”

It was a good thing Cozy Glow’s cutie mark was covered by her dress because if Twilight had seen that, she would have known it was her.

“Well, I hope you have a wonderful time at the Gala!” Twilight said brightly.

“Thank you, Princess!” Cozy said, thankful her voice was different as well.

Twilight walked off while Cozy took another sip of her punch. Turning her attention back to her target, Cozy's eyes went from Luster Dawn to the cup she held. An idea of how to get Luster away from the crowd struck her like lightning.

“It's so simple, it might just work...”

Luster looked at Gallop eagerly as they resumed their plan to dance now that they were done eating with Princess Flurry Heart.

“Now, where were we?” she asked.

Gallop chuckled nervously. “Would you like to dance?”

Luster nodded. It was finally time!

“Yes, Gallop!” she said.

He reached out with his hoof, and Luster extended hers to take it with a smile, blushing intensely. This was her moment! She was finally gonna have the dance that she’d been longing for ever since she’d asked Gallop to the Gala.
Her heart grew warm as her eagerness did as well. Suddenly, she felt a light bump on her side. There was the sound of water splashing, and Luster felt her dress get soaked. She looked and saw Pale Palace had bumped into her, holding a - now empty - punch cup.

“Oh! Oh, I’m so sorry!” Pale said. “I should have been watching where I was going!”

A bit of frustration flared up in Luster, but she repressed it.

“No, no, it’s okay,” Luster said. “We all make mistakes!”

Luster looked down at her dress; the punch left a noticeable red stain. She’d just bought this gown, and she was about to dance with Gallop. Now the feeling of eagerness for the dance vanished.

“I’m really sorry, but… maybe we can fix that!” Pale said. “Come on, let’s head to the bathroom!”

Luster looked at Gallop, who shrugged.

“I’ll wait.”

Their dance was certainly not coming as fast as Luster would have liked. She walked off with Pale Palace toward the bathroom, hoping they could get the stain out. Cozy, meanwhile, gave an evil grin off to the side. Soon she would have the little pony in her hooves. If she could just get her to the bathroom, knock her out and then just fly out of here, everything would be fine!

They entered the bathroom and Luster removed her dress. She turned the faucet on with her magic as Pale Palace stood behind her. The silk grew wet and Luster squeezed, to her relief the stain came out.

Cozy reached into the pocket of her own dress with a hoof, and pulled out the magic suppression ring. She grinned openly now. Just put the ring on Luster’s horn, knock her out, and…

Cozy raised her hoof high from behind Luster. Then the door to the bathroom opened. Rainbow Dash and Rarity stepped in. Cozy quickly hid the ring behind her back.

“Good evening, darlings! Luster, here!” Rarity said, levitating a new gold dress inside the bathroom. “I keep a few spare dresses around in case some troubled mare might need them. You cannot go on the dance floor in a wet dress!”

“Oh, why thank you, Rarity!” Luster said.

“I can take that one for you and return it when it's dried!” Rarity said, taking the orange dress.

Luster put on the gold dress and walked outside. Cozy Glow growled and put on a nervous grin when Rarity and Rainbow looked at her.

“Do be careful next time darling! I worked a lot on those dresses,” Rarity said.

“Yeah, no pony wants to have their dress ruined,” Rainbow added.

“Of course!” Cozy said.

Luster made her way back to Gallop.

“Oh, you got a new dress?” he noticed.

“Yeah, Rarity said it was better than wearing a wet one. What do you think?” Luster asked, twirling around.

“Uh… it looks fine. Though I think the one with the flame patterns suited you better.”
Luster nodded, then asked, “Well, think we can finally have that dance now?”

“Yeah!” he said.

“Great!”

She immediately began to thrash her hooves about with her eyes closed, her face scrunched up. When she opened them, she saw Gallop looking at her with an awkward expression. Some other ponies were as well.

“Ooh! That reminds me of Twilight at her birthday party that one time!” Pinkie said. “Speaking of parties, I think it’s time to really get this one going! Discord!”

The Spirit of Chaos looked over from where he was dancing with Fluttershy. Then he suddenly teleported and appeared on the stage with Pinkie holding a guitar.

“If you weren’t dancing the night away, you certainly will be now!” he shouted.

The draconequus began to rock, and so did every pony else. They were moving against their will… dancing hard! Luster and Gallop along with them! Luster couldn’t stop! She went up to Gallop and he spun her around so fast she grew dizzy and twirled into a group of four mares. Yelena (who’d returned from Applejack’s applestand) jumped high in the air and landed with immense force, making a rumble and causing the guests to lose their footing. Georgia was flying all over. The griffon grabbed a curtain she passed with her claws tearing it to shreds.

“Somecreature help me!” she screamed.

Luster was suddenly dancing with ponies other then Gallop! She was on her hind legs and a random stallion had his hooves on her waist! Then she moved onto another stallion! Then a mare! Pale Palace had her hooves on Luster. The unicorn looked into the Pegasus’s face and saw her grin for a second. Luster felt her hooves leaving the ground as Pale began to flap her wings and they were suddenly in the air, spinning around while Pale flew. The white Pegasus looked toward the door as though hoping to get out. Given the circumstances, Luster couldn’t really blame her. No doubt all the creatures present now wanted to leave… or at least for Discord to stop making them dance like this!

“If I can just get out!” Pale grunted.

Luster felt the Pegasus tighten her hold on her, as though she wanted to take Luster with her. Maybe she was trying to help Luster as well? But what was with the grin? It had seemed so… victorious. Or had that merely been from feeling excited? No, if she were excited by what was going on, she wouldn’t want to leave, right?

“Okay, Discord, that’s enough!” Princess Twilight’s voice called.

“Oh, but this was just the good part!” the Spirit of Chaos said as he stopped playing the guitar.

Every creature stopped dancing as soon as he did so. Pale Palace looked at Luster, then set her down on the ground.

“Golly, that was wild! I was afraid I’d have to get out of here!” she said, putting a hoof behind her back and walking off.
Luster nodded nervously. She looked over to Princess Twilight who approached Pinkie and Discord.

“Good way to spice up the gala, just don’t give ponies too much of it! We don’t want to give every creature the worst night ever like we had in our day!” the princess told them.

“Well, I’d say we’ve made a lot of progress!” Pinkie said. “Of course, with me as the Party Planner, how could we not?”

“Oh, come now, Twilight, you agreed with Celestia that the first gala I attended was the most fun in years!”

“Yes, you did make things interesting, I admit. Celestia certainly liked it, but I want to keep the guests entertained more than myself,” Twilight said. “At least we managed to break the Gala curse here.”

Luster made her way back to Gallop.

“You okay?” he asked.

She nodded. “Yeah, but maybe dancing isn’t really my thing.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, you weren’t the best dancer there. Maybe we can try again later. You want to maybe take a walk outside?”

She nodded once more. “I could use some fresh air after that little crazy dance.”

They walked outside the castle to the royal garden full of finely cut trees and looked up at the stars.

“The night’s really pretty, huh?” he asked.

“I bet it's great to be the one to lift the sun and moon. You get to see them rise each time. I’m often inside reading or still asleep when that happens,” she said.

They sat on the grass for a while silently.

“So, what do you think we’re going to do after this?” Gallop asked.

“I’m not sure,” Luster said. “Tonight didn’t exactly go as I planned. First, I get punch spilled all over me, I tried to dance with you, but that didn’t go too well.”

She looked down. “Maybe that’s a sign that we shouldn’t be together like that. I mean… we’re friends, right? If we become something deeper that could maybe upset our relationship with all the others or-”

“Not true!” a voice called.

Luster and Gallop looked behind them to see River, Yelena, and Georgia watching them.

“We like the idea of you two!”

“Yelena agree!”

“You’re like a couple jewels in a crown that belong together!” Georgia said.

“Did you guys follow us out here?” Gallop asked.

“We’ve been watching you all night, hoping to see something happen!” River Song said. “True friends don’t let anything destroy their friendship! Even if it somehow doesn’t work out with you two as more than friends, I believe our bond can’t be broken after what we’ve been through! Because we are true friends!”

Luster looked at them and managed a smile.

“You’re right. We’re true friends! There’s no doubt about that in my mind. We might not have been able to perform a rainbow laser yet, but I can still feel it. You guys were there for me when I was on my own without my parents. I know I can count on you guys. But… give us some privacy!” she shouted.

The other three fled. Luster turned back to Gallop.

“Well, they support us. But still I-“

Luster was interrupted by Gallop as he pressed his lips to hers. For a moment, she stood there wide-eyed.

“I like you, Luster. I’ve liked you ever since you asked me to this Gala. I know it wasn’t the best first date, but there’s always another chance. I thought there was no hope left for me ever falling in love again after Glamor Shine, but you showed me otherwise. It might not work out, but I think you’re a pretty smart pony!" Realizing what he said, he stammered and blushed. "Erm… I mean pretty pony! Um... I mean, smart and party... um... I mean-”

Smiling, Luster silenced him with her hoof before he could embarrass himself even more. She then pressed her lips to his, they remained embraced in their kiss for only a few seconds, but those seconds were so precious they could have lasted an hour for both of them. Then they sat there just glancing at each other, the silence that filled the air between them was louder than a thousand words. They barely noticed the gentle tapping of River’s hooves as she grinned widely.

They looked back up at the moon, their hooves touching. Then Luster put a hoof over her heart; this meant she and Gallop were now marefriend and coltfriend now. The realization caused her to smile, but as she felt her chest, she noticed something was missing. She looked down.

“The amulet!”

As she watched the two ponies, Cozy Glow smirked.

“You’re really, really lucky, Luster Dawn!” she said. “But your luck won’t last forever, now that I have this!”

She held up the amulet Luster had worn... the one that would have allowed her to see through Chrysalis’s disguise. Without this trinket, Luster wouldn’t be as well protected the next time they tried.

Still smirking, Cozy turned around and flew off back to Ponyville…

Author's Note:

Well, Gallop and Luster are finally together! But will their romance last? Even I’m not so sure, I’m tempted to have them break up at some point just to have a little drama. That’s how life is after all, it's very rare to marry your first girlfriend or boyfriend. I remember how deeply affected I was by my second break up with my first love. I might be willing to look for new ones now, but I’ve never been the same or as happy as before that.

Well, Luster didn’t get captured this time, but (Spoiler Alert) that will happen soon. I know I promised edits on fanfiction.net though I’m a little behind on that. It will likely happen this week for sure as I’ve taken care of it on fimfiction. Of course I doubt I will ever get every grammar error fixed on this fic but ah well.

Last updated 10/14/23.