• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,695 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,695

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 66

“Oh yes,” I said and looked up with a small sigh, “Rain forest. It’s in the name.”

I didn’t manage more than to finish saying that before the occasional drop turned into an outright biblical downpour.

This place seemed to have two weather modes.

Hot and humid or raining.

I flicked my wings to get the worst water off them which lasted about half a second before they were soaked again.

“You sure this is the way?” I then asked, looking to Dee where she was standing on a fallen tree trunk.

“Which of us has a compass cutie mark?” she asked in turn.

I raised my hoof in surrender, “Okay, okay,” I said and flicked my ears before tilting them to try to stop rain from pouring straight into them as I glanced back towards the caravan of ponies following along behind, quickly shaking my head to try to get some of the water out of my mane. It didn’t exactly help.

Midnight and Tempest were next and Midnight in particular looked absolutely miserable right now.

I couldn’t blame her with everything going on and the rain was just… the last drop I suppose.

Not that anypony looked particularly happy after a day’s worth of trekking through deep jungle, but at least we had not run into any predators yet.

“How are we looking for distance?” I asked and jumped onto the fallen trunk and then down on the ground again next to her, “Think we’ll get there tomorrow?”

“...I don’t know,” Dee admitted and shook some water off her wings before touching her soaking wet shirt, “We’re a bit less than half way and we’ve done okay, it depends on the jungle. But I think we might do it assuming it doesn't get a lot worse… might be close though.”

“Two hours until Sunset,” I said, “We should start looking for somewhere to camp.”

Dee nodded and pointed forward, “There is a rise in the jungle over there, been heading towards it for thirty minutes. We’ll get there in ten minutes or so. You can’t see it from here, but can from the air. The scout said there is an almost vertical cliff we can make use of as one side of our defenses.”

“Good thinking,” I said and looked back as Midnight split the tree trunk in three parts with two flares of magic before tossing the middle part to the side to open up to allow everypony past without needing to climb over it.

“Okay everypony,” I called out, raising my voice loud enough for everypony to hear despite the rain, “We’re almost at tonight's camp site. If you see any relatively dry wood, pick it up. We’ll need it for the fires.”


############


“Oh, now you stop?” I said and glanced up towards the sky as we reached the camp site as it stopped raining.

The camp site looked about as good as we could expect, a solid cliff face on one side and the guards were building what would be a half circle of fires around the outer edge of the site.

Might not stop a rexosaurus if it finds us again, but it’d keep the smaller ones from getting too brave combined with our guards.

We hoped.

Then again, even if the smaller ones were magic resistant too, nothing that small could resist something as magically powerful as Midnight. Or hell, even Tempest.

Her control might be generally crap, but that unicorn outputs some serious wattage.

I pushed my hoof down on the tent peg firmly, double checking that it stayed put for a second before I looked around.

No individual tents this time.

We had just strung a big patch of material salvaged from the airship between the trees to keep the rain of everypony as well as it could, while keeping everypony in one easily defended place.

I checked the two closest lines with my hoof before I nodded and flapped my wings a couple of times before shaking myself to get rid of the worst of the water.

It didn’t help much.

I shook my wings again and then then walked in beneath the shelter, keeping my wings raised to make it at least a little easier to dry off.

“You know,” I said as I crossed over to Moon Dancer as she twisted her mane in her magic, working the water out of it, “I think I have had enough rain to last me a year.”

Moon Dancer smiled slightly and ran her magic over her coat, brushing some water of herself before she nodded, “I know what you mean,” she said and then put her glasses back on, her magic pulling her mane back and tying it back with her hairband, “But it could have been worse.”

“How could it have been worse?”

“Well… thestrals could have come from the North and that could have been a snowstorm…”

I shuddered at the very idea.

PreviousChapters Next