• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,741 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,741

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38

Midnight looked at me, “An expedition?”

I nodded, “I’m putting one together to the southern jungles. The objective is to find out the origin of the thestrals,” I said and spread one wing to show it off, “I’m putting together the team right now and… well… I need an organizer.”

That much was true. No way I could handle that myself and the best organizer I knew, Grey Velvet, was busy handling the rest of Equestrias demands on Celestia. But I wasn’t about to say that to Midnight.

Midnight shifted her wings, looking out through the castle window for a long moment, “I don’t know how useful I would be, Page.”

“Well, I thought I would offer,” I told her and sighed, “To be honest, I… need somepony with your skills for it. I don’t have the skills needed to organize a hundred ponies and get the entire thing working like it should with supplies and equipment and everything. Quite frankly it’s like herding cats and I know myself well enough to know that I can’t do it. Sure, I can tell them what to do, but keeping track of it all and such…”

Midnight blinked at me, “That many ponies?”

“Actually more,” I admitted, “The airship can house about hundred and seventy ponies in relative comfort. I’m not sure we’ll need that many so a lot will likely be used as supply storage and to give ponies a bit more room to move about. I don’t know how many we need yet, but the crew alone is going to end up with almost sixty ponies in a three shift rotation. Then there are the guards that need to come, that’s at least another ten ponies, likely more. There’s me, and Amber and Tempest are coming as well. Moon Dancer is the head researcher. Then there is the rest of the team members. We’ll need archaeologists, biologists, thaumatologists, their equipment. Then there are various other support staff like pegasus air scouts and I don’t know how many more.”

I sighed and flicked my ears, looking at her, “...Help…”

Midnight put her hoof over her muzzle, looking like she was trying not to giggle.

“Oh yes, laugh at me,” I grumbled and sighed, “Seriously, I need help. And if Friendship didn’t warrant an alicorn, you would totally be the alicorn of organizing.”

Midnight gave up on hiding it and grinned at me, “You do need help.”

“...Told you.”

She shook her head, “I’m just not sure I’m the pony for it. I have a lot on my mind right now.”

“I know,” I said and shook my head, “But this could help you take your mind off things.”

Midnight shifted her wings and put her hoof on the small table, looking at her cup of tea for a long moment, “...Okay,” she finally said, “I’ll come.”

“You’re hired.”

She looked amused, “I am?”

“Yep,” I agreed with a nod, “Nopony else is doing this for free, why would you?” I asked and shrugged my wings, “you get bits, the same as everypony else.”

Midnight shook her head and then blinked, “...Wait, I have a job?”

“Yep.”

“I never had a job before…”

I blinked at her, “What, really? Even discounting the Princess thing, weren’t you a librarian?”

She shrugged her wings, “Well… yes, but… no. I got my stipend from the crown and I got to live in the Ponyville library in return for running it as nopony else wanted to, but…”

I smiled at her, “Welcome to the working class, Princess Midnight.”

Midnight shot me a look and then sipped her tea, “So, when do we leave?”

“As soon as we’re ready,” I said, “Not like ‘it’s winter’ is going to matter that far down south. I’ll make sure you’ll get everything you need when it comes to the paperwork and such. I’ll put you in contact with Moon Dancer too, she’ll likely have a list of what personnel we need on the research side ready by now.”

Midnight looked at me and then sighed, “You really do need help.”

“...What did I do wrong?”

“You can’t just put a schedule ‘as soon as we’re ready’ or you’ll never get everything done,” Midnight said and shook her head, “I’ll look over the details and set an estimated departure date. Which airship are we taking?”

“The Storm King’s Mistake. It’s the captured airship that landed in Canterlot during the invasion. It’s been refitted for pony use.”

Midnight raised her eyebrow at the name but she slowly nodded and pulled out a notebook, scribbling a note down. She nibbled at the tip of her pen for a second before she started to scribble down notes.

I let her work and sipped at my tea, looking out into the heavy snowfall outside the window. Buck you, weather! Soon I’ll be out of your reach, snow! Warm weather, here we come!

“Are you making a note of ponies we need?” I asked, looking over to Midnight.

She nodded, “Support staff,” she agreed and made another note.

“Do you think we’ll need an animal handler?” I asked, flicking one ear as I put on a thoughtful look, “Just occurred to me that it could be useful.”

Midnight frowned at her notepad, “...Maybe. The jungles are almost like the Everfree Forest, aren’t they. The best one I know of is Fluttershy, but I don’t know if she’d be willing to leave her animals for this long, it might take months to find anything.”

I nodded, “Doesn’t hurt to ask.”

Besides, I think this was one that she might have some personal interest in. But I couldn’t just say that or it would expose her.

PreviousChapters Next