• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,697 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,697

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23

I awoke to the sound of birdsong and blinked against the light filtering in through the branches of the tree above me. The sun was rising above the horizon in the distance which put it straight into my eyes.

That's what I get for not checking the direction of the sun before going to sleep. Luna was nowhere to be seen, but after I dropped the thing I had been carrying twice, she hard ordered me to get some rest.

She had been right, of course.

No nopony was in sight, other than...

Celestia was standing at the top of the hill, her horn lit brightly, her wings half spread as she raised the sun.

Her coat shone in the bright light, even dusted with ash still, she looked… radiant.

I rubbed my eyes for a second against the light before struggling up to sit with a yawn, finding myself bundled up in a thick blanket, several stones set around me, glowing softly as they radiated heat. I felt better, like last night had been a long day instead of 'about to drop dead at any moment'. I remembered the blanket, but the stones were new.

Stretching my wings for a second, I got to my hooves as I folded the blanket and floated it up to hang on a low branch before I made my way over to Celestia, waiting for her horn to stop glowing before I moved up next to her, "Good morning," I said, looking out over Ponyville.

The village looked mostly like it always did. No fires.

But the center tree the library had been built into... it was just gone. And every single window in the village seemed to have been shattered. Most of the snow inside the village also seemed to be missing.

"Good morning, Page," Celestia said softly and folded her wings as she looked out over the village.

"How's it looking?" I asked, turning to look up at her.

"Twilight was the only pony that was hurt," Celestia answered my unspoken question, "Other than some panic, everypony else is okay."

"That's good."

Celestia took a deep breath before she nodded, "It is. It could have gone so much worse."

I frowned slightly at her, "Where is everypony?"

"Asleep," she said and gave me a small smile, "You weren't the first pony that fell asleep, and you were hardly the last. Everypony that needed too is given shelter at the Apple Family farm. Luna didn't want to wake you and I volunteered to stay and keep an eye on you, I needed to raise the sun anyway."

I blinked at her, "Have you slept yet?"

"Not until every single one of my little ponies are safe."

Save me from overly responsibility taking alicorns!

"...At least clean up a bit, you're covered with ash," I told her and brushed my wing along her side, "I mean, seriously. How did you even manage to avoid all that ichor?"

Celestia got a flash of amusement across her face for a second, "Because I didn't use any cutting spells."

I flicked my ears and scraped my hoof against the snow covered grass, "I suppose that's fair enough," I admitted, "But still. Get some rest, everypony is safe."

She shook her head, her mane flowing freely, completely ignoring the light wind from the west, "I'm fine, Page," she said and spread her wings before she sighed, "...There is a reason I don't cast spells with my talent behind them… fire… it doesn't like being controlled,," she continued and looked down towards the village.

"Hard to just open a walnut when all you have is a sledgehammer, but this time a sledgehammer was exactly what we needed," I agreed before I smiled up at her, "...Speaking of which, I am really thankful you didn't hit me with that particular little ray of sunshine. Because, damn."

Celestia actually cringed slightly and I quickly shook my head,

"None of that!" I told her, "Enough is enough, Celestia!"

"Just because you don't blame me doesn't mean I don't blame myself," she said and looked to me, "Just like I blame myself for this. I destroyed Midnight's best chance to get back home."

"No, you bucking didn't!"

She took half a step back at my tone, "Page.."

"No!" I snarled and stepped forward, putting my hoof to poke her chest, "Don't you fucking dare turning 'Saving Equestria from eldrish tentacle horrors from beyond time' to 'failed to protect magical artifact'! You saved Equestria! Nopony died! Nopony else could have done what you did and I am not going to have anypony say anything else, you included! The fact that you managed to even keep the rest of the village from burning down is nothing short of amazing!"

Celestia's ears flicked back, "Page, I-"

"No! Don't you fucking dare! I have seen you do this for six months and I'm not taking it anymore!"

She spread her wings and took a deep breath, "...That's not fair."

"And I don't give a buck. Now get your multichromatic tail down beneath that tree and take a nap!"

Celestia looked like she would protest for about half a second before she folded her wings, "...I suppose I should get some rest," she finally admitted.

PreviousChapters Next