• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,726 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,726

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 111

"Ready?" Luna asked from next to me as we overlooked the collection of dream portals. A total of four hundred and seventy three of them. I know because I counted them. Three times just to be sure it was all of them. They were the ones I had sought out during the last week, the ones I had found going from dream to dream to find the right professions and ages.

The potential first wave of colonizers.

"As ready as I can be," I confirmed, "This will be difficult."

Luna didn't answer, but magic flickered around her horn and then I felt her power surround me. I reached out through the dream realm, touching dream after dream as I focused, pouring my power into them.

I brought the dream around me, forming the images and the sensations as I slowly stepped forward onto the stage into a lit place, shapes before me. Dark shapes, hundred, diffuse, ill defined.

I looked out across them and smiled, half spreading my wings, "My name is Blank Page. Most of you have heard of me or even answered to my request for a letter. I'm speaking to you today through your dreams because there are things I have to tell you about the past and the future."

I shifted my wings and stretched them for a second, "Everypony thought the thestrals were cursed... and they're right. But not in the way most ponies think. Thestrals were never pegasi cursed with these wings. Thestrals are the forth pony tribe." I said before I smiled, doing everything I could to keep the drain from the spell from showing, "but let me start from the beginning."

"Once, many thousands of years ago, batponies lived in the southern jungle. During those times, before the unification there were wars of tribe against tribe, clan against clan. All the tribes fighting for power. Thestrals was just one among the four. But something happened, they were driven back deeper and deeper into the jungle. Maybe their enemies discovered something they didn't, maybe they were simply outnumbered. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is that an alicorn came to them, a thestral alicorn before even the birth of Luna and Celestia," I said before I continued, "He promised them power. Safety. Revenge against those that would threaten them."

I shook my head, "He turned them into monsters. Oh, he gave them the power they wanted, they drove their enemies back. They won victories over them. But that strength, that power came at a cost. It turned them... it turned us into blood drinking vamponies."

I sighed and folded my wings, looking towards the side, "The rest is history. I don't know who cast the curse to try to force thestrals back to what they were before, but my money is on one of the unicorn tribes in the area. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. It was the start to the hiding. The fear. Generation after generation of thestrals forced to hide to keep from being driven away. Cast out by their villages, their friends. From fear and ignorance," I said and then I let silence stretch out for a while.

I stomped my hoof on the stone of the stage, "But that's why I'm here. That's why I'm talking to you right now. I... we... have found a way to break the curse and the magic beneath it, to turn thestrals back to the way we were meant to be. Many of you have pegasi siblings. It's part of the curse that most foals from a thestral are pegasi, true pegasi that never get their real form. Removing the curse and the magic beneath it... it fixes that. Thestrals could return to being a true tribe again..." I said before I flicked my ears back and looked down, "But not in Equestria. Not now. Not yet. You all know what it's like, you all grew up in it, you don't need me to tell you about the constant fear. The reactions if ponies find out. Constantly hiding who you are, even from your friends."

"If we're going to fix any of this... we need to do it right," I told them and then smiled slightly and glanced up at my horn, "One alicorn did this. And here is yet another one promising to fix things for you, to have an easy solution. But I'm not. I don't have any easy answers. But what I do have... is a plan."

I scraped my hoof against the stone and raised my head to look out over them again as I redoubled my efforts to keep the spell going and keeping the image I projected to them steady and unbothered, "And I'm going to tell you of it. We have a way to break the spells upon you. Half a dozen thestrals including myself have already undergone it. Which brings us to the reason I am talking to you, and you specifically. There are over five thousand batponies, but only just under five hundred of you here. So why you? Because of who you are. You're carpenters, doctors, engineers and architects. Farmers and animal handlers, weather ponies and smiths. You're here because you're the kind of ponies we need for this plan to have a chance of working."

I smiled and shook my head, "In two months a train leaves from Canterlot and heads as far south as the line goes. From there there would be a flight to the edge of the jungle. We would find the site for a new village, a thestral village. You are the kinds of ponies that would be necessary for that sort of thing to even have a chance of succeeding."

"I am asking for a lot," I continued, "Asking you to leave your lives now, to move your families away from where you live now for something unknown is more than anypony could ever ask of you. I couldn't even with good conscience promise that it's going to work. There are some things I can promise. I can promise that it will be difficult. I can promise it's going to be hard. I can promise that there will be times that you wished you never came."

Spreading my wings again, I looked at them fiercely, pouring everything I had into the spell as I felt my magic start to falter, "But I can promise one more thing. And that is that I think it is the best chance that your foals will be able to grow up without needing to be afraid or needing to hide who they really are, to be ashamed! We would be the first ones there, the ones to start building something new! Something… that could be great. More would come to join us in time but somepony needs to get the ball rolling."

Sighing softly, I then smiled, "I know what you're thinking. You have survived fine so far, and you have. Your ancestors have. You'll survive where you are and so will your foals, be they pegasi or thestrals," I said and then nodded, "You're right. You'll survive and so will they."

"But come with me if you want to live."

PreviousChapters Next