• Published 13th Jul 2020
  • 252 Views, 6 Comments

The Friendship Initiative - Jatheus



In the aftermath of a devastating war, former enemies try to coexist while dealing with the demons of the past. A bold plan pairs warriors from opposite sides together in hopes of creating unity before a healing Equestria tears itself apart.

  • ...
 6
 252

Friends

Scootaloo was wide awake. The events of the evening had certainly been bizarre, but she felt cautiously good about how things had come out. Ash Eater’s breathing pattern had changed just a few minutes before, signaling that he had finally fallen asleep. The pegasus eased herself back, untangling her forelegs from the stag. He shifted, pulling his own limbs away and turning. The mare took advantage of the movement and withdrew from the alcove. Her side was a little stiff due to the awkward position she’d been laying in for the past hour.

She stretched and yawned, deciding that she might get a glass of water before she left the kitchen area for her own alcove.

“What are you doing up?” Arista whispered.

Scootaloo gasped in fright and uttered an unintelligible sound that never quite knew what it had intended to be.

“Sorry!” Arista moved closer.

“It’s fine,” Scootaloo recovered her breath. “I just wanted a glass of water.”

She felt it wiser to not mention her visit to Ash Eater’s alcove. He probably wouldn’t have appreciated his own part in that to be shared, and she certainly didn’t want to offer a half explanation and cause confusion.

Arista rummaged for a moment on various shelves in the kitchen and presented a clay cup of water to the pegasus.

“Thanks,” Scootaloo said.

She drank down the water and set the earthen vessel down. Arista was still standing there.

“Did you need something?”

The little one grinned sheepishly but didn’t say anything.

“Okay... well, I’m going back to bed.”

As she made her way back to her alcove, Scootaloo could hear the little one padding along behind her. The mare worked her way into the small sleeping chamber and settled on the earthy bedding. She was pretty sure that Arista was behind her. Though the pegasus was uncertain whether she wanted a distraction, she was becoming certain that she would have one.

“You’re not as mean as I thought ponies would be,” the little doe seemed amazed by the notion.

“What makes you say that?”

“All the stories Daddy and Ashy ever told me about ponies are scary, but you’re not scary at all.”

Without warning, dozens of memories from the war came back to Scootaloo. There certainly had been a time when the pegasus could have been the subject of a nightmarish tale to keep changeling nymphs from getting too close to ponies. They would not have even needed embellishments. Scootaloo felt the weight of sorrow at the things she’d had to do, the things she had chosen to do. She stared upward to the top of her alcove and said nothing.

“Are you okay?” Arista asked.

“Yeah... I guess... I’m just glad you don’t think I’m scary.”

The little changeling stood there for a moment, still staring at the pegasus. Then she moved closer.

“Is your ear okay?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo snorted a laugh. “It hurt, but it wasn’t that bad.”

“I’m glad.”

Turning to face the little one, Scootaloo asked, “Are you alright? I didn’t get a chance to check on you before we left earlier.”

“I just got a little bruise. I’m okay,” Arista nodded. Then she added, “Thanks for bringing Ashy home.”

Scootaloo still wasn’t sure what to believe about what had happened with him. She was certain that she made the best decision with what she had seen, but she needed time to think about it some more. She realized she should answer the nymph.

“You’re welcome.”

Arista moved closer, settling on the floor near the pegasus, “Can I touch your mane?”

“Huh?”

“It’s so bright and pretty, and I bet it’s soft too.”

Unsure how to respond, Scootaloo decided to just go with it, “Sure, I guess.”

The pegasus turned her back to the nymph, who gently began playing with a hoof full of mane.

“It is soft!” Arista excitedly whispered.

“Thanks,” Scootaloo replied uncertainly.

They were quiet for a little while, Arista seeming completely focused on her exploration of a new texture. For Scootaloo’s part, the gentle touch was beginning to help her relax. The nymph began separating the mane into three groups and then pulling them around each other.

“Are you braiding my mane?” Scootaloo felt confused, as the changelings didn’t have manes as such.

“Ah huh.”

“Where did you learn how to do that?”

“We make vine ropes sometimes. This is how we make them stronger. I think it’s pretty.”

Scootaloo was both amused and intrigued, “You know what?”

“What?”

“You’re nothing like I would have thought either,” the pegasus admitted.

“Really?”

“I don’t know what I expected, but... you’re really smart and funny, and...”

“And what?”

“Kind.”

“Had no changelings ever been kind to you before?”

“I... no, I don’t guess so. There have always been tricks or some hidden angle that they were working to get something from me.”

Scootaloo felt a little bad describing her interactions in that manner, but she believed that being honest was more important in this case.

“Oh... is now a bad time to mention that I’ve been being nice so I could cut your mane and keep it for myself?”

Scootaloo felt her eyes go wide as she half turned, glaring at Arista in the darkness. She could just make out a coquettish smirk.

The nymph giggled, “I have jokes.”

The pegasus stifled her laughter as to not awaken everyone else. Arista continued her efforts to create a rather tight braid. Scootaloo’s mind wandered to the events of the day, specifically when the two of them had returned from the dispensary and listened in on a conversation that the adults had been having.

“You know, you really shouldn’t eavesdrop on others.”

The nymph stopped braiding long enough to ask, “What is an eve? Why would I drop it on someone?”

“No, eavesdropping is listening to a conversation you aren’t part of and they don’t know you’re listening.”

“Why not?”

“It’s not nice.”

“Momma told me to always listen if I can hear, cause I might learn something useful. She said don’t get caught.”

Scootaloo stopped herself from countering that logic. It occurred to her that it made perfect sense for a changeling to have that view. She watered down her response.

“Oh, well, ponies consider it a very rude thing to do. Sometimes you want to tell somepony something in private, because it’s about somepony else and you don’t want to hurt their feelings.”

“But why say it if it’s hurtful?”

“Umm... okay, you’ve got me on that one. So do you always sneak around to listen in on things?”

“Oh, yes. They say lots of things but they don’t always remember I listen. That’s how I found out what is a doe’s best weapon.”

Considering the nymph’s awareness of her parents banter and understanding the implications thereof, Scootaloo felt herself cringe instinctively at what was coming next.

“Her brain. Momma said so.”

“That’s... really smart,” Scootaloo sighed with relief. “After what you told me before about social calls, I thought you were going to say something else.”

“Well...” Arista smirked, “Momma does know how to get her way!”

Scootaloo giggled with the nymph.

...

Ash Eater stared at the wall. He had awakened some time before, but he had no impetus to move. He felt as if his entire life, he had been living a lie. Every terrible thing he had done in pursuit of victory, those choices that had seemed necessary at the time that had been haunting him for so long, now they punished him with waves of overwhelming regret.

He felt as though he didn’t deserve to have survived the war after everything he’d done, after all the ponies he’d hurt.

‘But you did survive,’ he thought to himself. ‘So what are you going to do?’

He didn’t have an answer for himself. He sighed, lacking the energy to do anything but let his mind continue running in a self-deprecating circle.

Fortunately, others in the house eventually began to stir. The stag still remained unmoving, but at least the sounds of breakfast being prepared gave him some distraction. Some low chatter began as well, and it seemed that everyone else was up. As they gathered around the table, Ash Eater overcame his inertia and drug himself out of the sleeping alcove.

A dull pounding headache greeted him as he stood. The stag grunted against the sensation. As he stepped into the central area of the house, all eyes were on him. He could feel them. His own eyes wanted to bring up tears for how he had behaved the previous day, but he held them in check.

He halted his approach when he neared the table. Meeting their gazes in turn told him their dispositions without a word being spoken. Haltere looked as one who wouldn’t have any nonsense. Soot Nosher was equally stern, but he also had a sense of prepared wariness. Arista was frightened.

That alone was enough to bring the tears back. Ash Eater again struggled to not let a single one escape. There was something else in his sister’s eyes. She had a hopeful longing.

Scootaloo’s mane was uncharacteristically in a tight braid. She looked exhausted, but more noteworthy than that, she lacked any trace of condescension or judgement. She pressed her lips together and nodded an encouragement at the stag.

Ash Eater felt his determination rise as he took a deep breath and padded over to his sister, kneeling in front of her, “Cherished mother of the hive, I meant you no insult or disrespect. I didn’t intend to hurt you; forgive me.”

Her fear melted away as the stag bowed his head. She leapt forward and threw her forelegs around her brother. He was caught a little off balance, but managed to stay upright as she embraced him. Ash Eater next looked up to his parents.

“I’m sorry for the trouble I’ve been,” he swallowed around a lump that formed in his throat. “I’m sorry for the ways I’ve disappointed you both.”

The tears finally got the better of him, overwhelming the stag’s defenses. He cursed himself for not maintaining control. His mom joined the embrace, and his father approached and placed a hoof on his son’s head.

“It is already forgotten,” Soot Nosher offered.

A weight lifted from Ash Eater‘s heart, but he still felt raw from the emotional release. There would be more apologies to give in the coming days, he expected, and he had no idea how he would manage to get through them.

From where the stag was surrounded by his family, he could just see Scootaloo watching them. She had a curious expression on her face, almost as if she were surprised by the affectionate display. She said nothing, but her eyes locked with Ash Eater’s, and they held each other for a moment. She nodded and gave a little smile.

For the first time he could remember, Ash Eater felt no disdain or hostility toward his former enemy.

...

Scootaloo was amazed at the difference in Ash Eater’s personality that followed their talk in the night. It was almost as if he were a completely different person. It was concerning that he almost seemed depressed, but unlike the other times she’d seen him in such a state, there was no anger, only contrition. She became more convinced every hour that whatever change had begun within him, it was genuine and not just some display.

The pair stayed at his family’s house for two additional nights before getting up for an early start. While she didn’t use her lamp much any more, her eyes having adjusted to the dim soft glow of bioluminescent moss, she was looking forward to being above ground again. Scootaloo had her saddle bags all packed up, and the two made their goodbyes.

While Ash Eater was talking with Arista and Haltere, Soot Nosher approached Scootaloo at the doorway.

“I would speak with you,” he said, gesturing to the door.

Scootaloo nodded, exiting into the larger cavern where the fat drops of precipitation pelted her from above. Soot Nosher followed, and the pair walked about half-way down the path to the main road before stopping. She met his gaze, noting a solemnity to the expression on his face.

“I have hated ponies for a very long time. Your ways are different, but mostly I held bitterness over battles we fought with each other. I was part of the first invasion of Canterlot all those years ago. I had hoped to manage some great deed and clear my family dishonor. As it happened, we lost the day.”

Soot Nosher seemed deep in thought for a moment, carefully building the story he was delivering, “Worse than that, I found no glory of any kind. My group failed to even take our objective before the entire swarm of us were thrown out by that magical barrier.” He took a breath, “But none of that matters anymore. I didn’t like you when you arrived here with Ash Eater. It made me sick that he had to put up with continued imprisonment. But I have to admit, you... you’re not what I expected.”

Scootaloo couldn’t miss the sincerity in Soot Nosher’s eyes.

“Ash Eater has been in a very dark place within. My wife warned me of it just before the war, but after he was wounded, when he lost the use of his horn, that’s when I realized just how twisted he had become... what I had done to him with my example. Of late I was becoming afraid that there was no road back for him.”

The older stag took another deep breath, “Thank you, Scootaloo the pegasus, for defending my daughter, and for bringing my son home. We are indebted to you more than I can say… My house, my service is yours whenever you have need of it...”

Scootaloo felt rather like an actor on stage, as if a spotlight had been put on her and she’d forgotten her next line. She almost tried to think of something deflective or sarcastic to say, but Soot Nosher’s words had formed one of the most heartfelt expressions of thanks she had ever received. It was even more meaningful because of all the trouble she had been through with his son.

“Well, I’m...” she fumbled for words, “It was worth it. Ash Eater and I have butted heads many times, and I bet we will again. I guess... I just saw a lot of myself in him. You know? For me, finding a way back from that place, that savage warrior that I had become... it wasn’t easy.”

As sincere as Soot Nosher had been, Scootaloo suspected that he was as uncomfortable with such heartfelt talk as she was. His eyes conveyed understanding.

Fortunately, they were spared any additional discomfort by Arista bursting through the door, followed moments later by Ash Eater and Haltere. The nymph charged directly at the pegasus and slammed into her, grabbing around her neck in a mighty hug. Scootaloo had managed to brace herself and didn’t fall over.

“Hey, there,” the pegasus greeted the newcomer.

“I wish you could stay!”

Scootaloo and the parents chortled at the child’s excitement.

“Maybe I can come visit you next time!”

Scootaloo smiled, “Anytime you want.”

“So, does that mean we are friends, like really?” the nymph looked up hopefully.

A smile worked its way across the mare’s muzzle. When she had come down to this place, she had given up on making even one changeling friend.

“Yeah, I guess it does.”

Haltere smiled warmly, “You are welcome to our hive, whenever you are nearby.”

Ash Eater was solemn, almost sullen as he quietly made his goodbyes to his parents. Scootaloo tried to listen, but her attention was taken by Arista.

“Hey! You never gave me that race!”

“Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah! I was going to show you how much faster I am than you!”

Scootaloo’s competitiveness sparked a small blaze within as she looked to the parents. Haltere nodded approvingly. The mare then turned to Ash Eater.

“Would you mind carrying my bags and meeting me at the entrance to Stone Hive.”

“Yeah,” he said simply.

She passed her load over and stretched a little before returning her attention to the nymph.

Arista grinned, “Are you ready?”

“Bring it!”

“Go!”

The pair bolted gleefully down the dark and rocky paths of the great cavern that is Stone Hive.

...

Ash Eater flew alongside his guardian, the light of day blinding them after having been underground for so long. They were in a slow climb, working their way up to Canterlot so Scootaloo could check in with Princess Twilight Sparkle. The pegasus was grumpily muttering something to herself. Ash Eater wasn’t sure if he should say anything.

“Let’s have a race,” Scootaloo said to herself. “We can run through the dark with jagged rocks everywhere. It’ll be great...”

While he had initially thought Scootaloo might have let Arista win, Ash Eater was now convinced that a combination of being unfamiliar with the area and the near total darkness for which her eyes were not designed had put the pegasus at a significant disadvantage. It would have made him smile but for the heaviness in his heart.

As good as it felt to have reconnected with his family, the past was haunting Ash Eater more and more. Accepting that he had been misguided for so long brought a great deal of shame with it. Certainly some of that must have been natural to anybody who had fought in a war, but the things he had done in battle were the least on his mind. It was the other things, the interrogations he had conducted, the betrayal of Nimba...

He accepted these thoughts and let them fill him up. He couldn’t bring back the dead or undo the hurts he had inflicted on so many others. Suffering the memories would be his penance. Whatever else happened, he would never forget, nor make the same mistakes again.

...

Scootaloo escorted Ash Eater to one of he guest suites in Canterlot Castle.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay here for a bit?”

“Yeah,” he replied.

The mare could tell that he was still upset. As unsettling as it was, she felt more confident in his apparent change by the day. He had become quiet and reflective. Where she had always seen obstinate behavior previously, the stag was now calm and compliant. More than that, it made sense to her that a great amount of regret would manifest itself in this way.

“Okay, well, I’ll be right back. If you need anything, just ask the guards,” she said with a smile.

One corner of the stag’s mouth upturned for the shortest moment in acknowledgement of her pledge to return. It was almost a smile. The pegasus was escorted to a waiting room, where she had only just become settled on a plush velvet sofa when Princess Twilight Sparkle entered the room.

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” Twilight greeted.

“Oh, no, I only just got here,” Scootaloo dismissed the apology.

“I have things lined up. For now, Ash Eater will stay here as a palace guard. Queen Chrysalis agreed to keep a close watch on him. That way he won’t have to be locked up, and he won’t have to interact with ponies too much.”

Scootaloo took a breath, “Twilight, thank you for that. I really appreciate it, but our situation has changed in the last few days.”

The princess raised an eyebrow curiously as she seated herself on an identical sofa opposite the pegasus.

“I took Ash Eater to see his family down in Stone Hive, and they weren’t at all what I expected. It turns out that they were as bothered by his behavior as we were.”

Scootaloo took a moment to sift out which details were both necessary and important to relay.

“He had an argument with them that ended in a bit of a scuffle. Nobody was seriously hurt, but it really made him think about things.”

Twilight Sparkle glanced up at Scootaloo‘s recovering ear before restoring eye contact.

“Later that night, he had a bad dream, and I didn’t know what to do, so I tried to help him calm down. Then... he opened up to me for the first time. I was skeptical at first, but we talked for hours... he cried into my shoulder about things he had done during the war, ways he’d hurt ponies. I’ve never seen anything like that from him. As far as I can tell, it’s real remorse.”

The princess sat back in thought for a long moment, “So, what do you want to do?”

The question hung in the air for a time. Scootaloo knew what she wanted, but in that moment it was as if she had lost her voice. Somehow, after all that had happened, committing to keep Ash Eater at this point almost felt like a lifetime sentence. She took a deep breath, hoping that it might not be quite that permanent.

“I would like to continue as Ash Eater’s guardian. If what I have seen in the past few days is real... it’s so much more than we even hoped for. I can’t walk away from that.”

“Oh, good!” Twilight Sparkle grinned, seeming almost giddy, “I was hoping you’d change your mind!”

The two shared a giggle as Scootaloo stood to leave.

“So, do you think you have a chance at actually becoming friends with Ash Eater?”

The pegasus couldn’t help but smile as she formed her response, “I went down to Stone Hive with no changeling friends. I’m pretty sure I left there with four.”