• Published 13th Jul 2020
  • 252 Views, 6 Comments

The Friendship Initiative - Jatheus



In the aftermath of a devastating war, former enemies try to coexist while dealing with the demons of the past. A bold plan pairs warriors from opposite sides together in hopes of creating unity before a healing Equestria tears itself apart.

  • ...
 6
 252

Surprise

‘My most venerable queen, the curiosity of these ponies is annoying. Without breaking your command to abstain from aggression, I was able to repay their invasive questions with equally uncomfortable jabs of my own. Perhaps next time they will be a little less inclined to endlessly pester me.’

Scootaloo could feel the mirth as she walked into the gathering. Food was still scarce, though enough raw ingredients had been scrounged together to bake a tiny carrot cake, which she was eager to taste. The Apple’s farmhouse was hosting ponies that Scootaloo had not seen since the war had ended. Additionally, Princess Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie had come.

Glitterdust’s brother, Duster, was preparing to leave the farm to attend an art school in Manehattan. Scootaloo hadn’t had much time to spend with him since she had taken Ash Eater in. Glitterdust’s inexplicable curiosity notwithstanding, the rest of Duster’s family still harbored hard feelings about changelings in general and Ash Eater specifically. As such, Scootaloo had left her ward at the apartment with Sweetie Belle for this occasion.

LD was chatting with Apple Bloom by the stairs, but the farm pony seemed unimpressed with his attempts at flirting. The the orange pegasus headed that direction.

“Hey, Apple Bloom, are you still listening to this loser?”

The pegasus stallion turned toward her and grinned, “Captain? Or was it Major by the end?”

“That’s ancient history for me. It’s just Scootaloo now.”

“As a matter of fact, I was gonna make my escape any second,” Apple Bloom jabbed.

“You make it sound like no matter what I try, I’m not getting anywhere with you,” LD sounded oddly cheerful.

“Welp,” Apple Bloom considered this, “sounds to me like you’re catchin’ on.”

“Harsh,” Scootaloo grinned, “but I believe I once told you that you were barking up the wrong Apple Tree.”

LD waved her off, “I’m playing the long game. Sometimes early setbacks will happen.”

Scootaloo laughed; Apple Bloom shook her head, resigned to the fact that she would be rejecting the amorous pegasus’ advances for a bit longer yet.

“So, how have you been?”

“You know me, the rock that keeps everypony else together,” LD feigned a smile.

Scootaloo could tell he was bothered by something. She wasn’t sure whether this were the place to press him about it. She surmised that his trip home may not have gone well. From what she had last heard, he was going to make a visit to see his parents and “twin”. LD had feared that they might react badly to their only colt having been magically duplicated. Truthfully, Scootaloo wasn’t sure how anypony would be able to handle such a bizarre situation.

A gray pegasus approached the trio, working his way through the gathering. It was the guest of honor. The spitting image of his older sister who was lost during the war, Duster managed to get through it mostly in one piece, some deep scars notwithstanding.

“Ma’am,” he greeted her.

Duster’s harsh and gravelly sounding voice had been rendered so by a wound inflicted by Ash Eater in the final major battle of the war.

“How are you?”

“We’re fine, I mean I’m fine,” he made a nervous smile. “There’s been plenty to do on the farm.”

“Ain’t there always?” Apple Bloom agreed.

LD chimed in, “I find it refreshing to keep busy. Especially if I can find a worthwhile pursuit.”

He looked at Apple Bloom as he said it. She rolled her eyes at him.

“I’m gonna grab some of that there punch. Anypony want some?”

“Sure,” Duster said.

Scootaloo nodded.

“I’ll help you,” LD grinned as the two walked away.

Apple Bloom was annoyed but had the situation well in hoof. Scootaloo decided to let her take care of it for now.

“Speech!” Pinkie Pie cried out, “Make a speech!”

“Oh,” Duster said softly to Scootaloo as the crowd took up Pinkie’s chant, “I guess that’s me.”

“You’ve got this,” she encouraged.

Duster climbed up the bottom of the stairs and faced everypony. He was looking well, but Scootaloo could sense the sadness in him. He had never been quite the same since she’d given him news of his older sister‘s death.

“Thank you all for coming,” he began, “I’m not really sure what to say.”

He fidgeted uncomfortably before continuing, “I met most of you because of the war. I’m glad that’s over with. I’m glad we can get back to...” he took a breath, staring off for a moment.

“It’s good that some things have survived. I’m glad that there is time to... I’m glad the killing has stopped... glad that we can do what we are here to do... enjoy the days, spend time with friends and family... Sissy was always reading books, and she told me one time that, ‘Art is simply the act of creation for the purpose of the creator.’ So, I guess like many pursuits, it’s a journey of self-discovery. Thank you all for being here to help me begin mine.”

Scootaloo got lost in her own thoughts as he finished. She had been close friends with ‘Sissy’, Duster’s older sister, Sparklefly. Her loss was still weighing heavily on many of them. Scootaloo tried to put it out of her mind so as to not let her sadness about it sour the party.

...

Ash Eater stared at the wall of Scootaloo’s apartment above Carousel Boutique, his eyes heavy from another fitful night where sleep eluded him. She had gone out and left the bothersome unicorn to watch him as if he needed a nymph sitter. It wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t always find some inane questions with which to bombard him.

“So, what’s on your mind?” she asked far too cheerfully.

Boredom was the only thing really on his mind, and he had been trying to enjoy it.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing at all?”

“Nope. Not a thing.”

“Oh,” she seemed disappointed.

There was a chance that she would remain silent, or she would have another meddlesome inquiry. Ash Eater braced himself for the latter.

“So...” she hesitated.

The changeling sighed.

“Never mind.”

“What?”

“It’s nothing, really.”

He sighed again, “Out with whatever is in your little mind.”

“Well,” she paused again. “Changelings feed off of somepony else’s love, right? How does that work?”

He stared at the overly curious unicorn for a long moment, “Traditionally, we would impersonate someone you love for a time. We could either replace them permanently when the time came, or use a memory spell and bring them back so nobody is the wiser.”

“I know that part. I’m really wondering just how the feeding works. I know you eat food like we do.”

“You can’t live on love only, that would be ridiculous.”

Her brow furrowed in thought, “So, how does it work?”

“While we are imposing, we reap the benefits that the dupe would normally get.”

“That’s all?”

“Essentially. Our magic is also enhanced by the energy of their affections.”

They grew silent for a brief space. Ash Eater could already see that she was not yet satisfied with his answers.

“Okay, is it related to physical intimacy, to mating?” she asked, a slight blush on her face.

“What in tarnation are y’all talkin’ about?” Apple Bloom practically shouted.

Both the changeling and the unicorn were startled, not having heard the door open. Ash Eater could not resist the opportunity to use the sudden arrival.

“I believe I have just been propositioned.”

“What!” Sweetie Belle squeaked as her face flushed a bright crimson.

“I think you’re a little young for me, but I was ordered by my queen to be cooperative. Do you want to do it here, or do you prefer privacy?”

“Now wait just a gol-dern minute!” Apple Bloom roared.

Sweetie Belle tried to speak, but the initial attempt came out as inane sputtering.

She finally managed, “I’m older than you!” before she fled the apartment, galloping past her friend in the doorway.

Ash Eater felt far more amused than he had expected at how well he had gotten under the unicorn’s skin and allowed himself to be taken in uproarious laughter. He was not even upset by the onslaught of berating that Apple Bloom unleashed at him.

...

Scootaloo walked with Twilight Sparkle back toward her apartment after the festivities had wound down. The two had been getting to know each other far more closely since the war had ended, though it seemed as if it were more of a student and teacher relationship that had developed.

“I noticed that you were feeling a bit down earlier. Are you okay?” the Princess asked.

“Yeah,” Scootaloo replied.

She didn’t want to talk about what was on her mind, not yet. It still made her far too sad, and she had no intention of letting her guard down and becoming an emotional wreck. She couldn’t afford to show that sort of vulnerability in front of Ash Eater.

“We’ve all had a lot of hard times of late,” Princess Twilight Sparkle said. “It’s amazing that any of us have made it through them. But if you think about it, the reason we did is because we have each other to rely on.”

The sentiment rang true to Scootaloo, but it only served to deepen the feeling of sadness for her lost friend.

“I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m here if you need me.”

Scootaloo was touched by that, but felt the need to deflect, “Thanks, Twilight, that’s... really sappy.”

Seeing a mild shock on the Princess’ face, Scootaloo giggled. Twilight grinned and joined the younger pegasus in a laugh.

As they drew near to the apartment, Scootaloo could hear stomping within just before the door flew open, loudly slamming as it did. Her unicorn friend exited at a furious pace, looking somewhat flustered.

“Sweetie Belle, are you okay?”

“Not a feather!” she squealed with rage.

Twilight and Scootaloo exchanged a nervous glance as the unicorn stormed away. They turned to go after her when angry shouting erupted from their destination. they spun back toward the entrance and galloped up to Scootaloo’s apartment, ready for action.

When they vaulted through the open door, they discovered Ash Eater lying on his back, cackling as Apple Bloom stood over, a tapestry of vitriol being woven with each irate word she spewed at the changeling. Her country dialect combined with her fervor and effectively obliterated much of her intended meaning to Scootaloo, though the gist still got through.

“What in the wide world of Equestria is going on here?” Princess Twilight Sparkle shouted to be heard.

Apple Bloom turned to face the pair, marching toward them as she spoke, “Stallions are pigs! They’re all pigs! Filthy disgustin’ pigs!”

“Slow down, what happened?” Scootaloo asked.

“Technically, a male changeling would be called a stag,” Twilight interjected.

She drew a look of exasperation from both of the younger mares.

“Not the time; sorry!”

Apple Bloom began speaking as Ash Eater recovered from his laughter and struggled to stand.

“That there dolt made downright lewd comments at Sweetie Belle!”

“Wait, what!” Twilight’s face flushed in surprise.

Scootaloo felt herself go pale. She could tell by Ash Eater’s demeanor that he had intended it as a joke and found the entire thing amusing. However, Scootaloo had not forgotten the things that Ash Eater had told her from before. Though Sparklefly had given a slightly different account, the changeling stag had indicated that he had been physically intimate with her, by force.

Scootaloo wasn’t sure what to say. Ash Eater caught her gaze for a moment, and it seemed as though a light of understanding filled his eyes. All trace of his bemusement evaporated. The Princess took a breath.

“Alright, Ash Eater. What do you have to say about this?”

“Sweetie Belle was annoying me with questions about how changelings feed on love and whether it had anything to do with mating. Apple Bloom came in right then, so I offered to demonstrate with Sweetie Belle how we do it... mating, I mean. I didn’t mean any harm. I just wanted to make her stop pestering me.”

He refused to make eye contact with Scootaloo again. She could only guess at the reason. The sinking in her stomach was relieved somewhat when Princess Twilight Sparkle began laughing.

The others all gave her a confused look.

“I’m sorry,” she composed herself. Becoming slightly more serious, she continued, “Ash Eater, that sort of humor is considered quite inappropriate, and we would appreciate it if you would be a little more... careful the way you tease others. I would also appreciate it if you would apologize to Sweetie Belle when you get the chance.”

He sighed, looking down at the floor, “By your command, Princess Twilight…”

“Chance, nothin’!” Apple Bloom stormed forward, “Yur comin’ with me to say yur sorry right now, an’ I don’t want no guff about it neither!”

He glanced at Scootaloo, who shrugged at him. The farm pony grabbed Ash Eater by his dog tag chain and pulled. The changeling followed after the irate Apple Bloom, not unlike a scolded puppy. It was curious how much more compliant he had become, relative to how they had begun. Scootaloo was sure she wanted to keep her thoughts about Sparklefly to herself for now, but she was curious about Twilight’s reaction.

“I don’t understand,” she began. “Getting at Sweetie Belle like that… making her that mad on purpose… why did you laugh?”

Twilight’s smile fell somewhat, but it was still clear, “Scootaloo, most of what I have observed from Ash Eater to this point has been combative, hateful. While I didn’t like the prank he chose to play, or the spirit with which it was done, it shows a certain level of… well, comfort around us. You heard him laughing. He had let his guard down. It’s a small step, but I think it’s a sign of some real progress.”

Scootaloo considered this. Certainly, she didn’t want Sweetie Belle being teased, but it made sense. Maybe they were beginning to get through to Ash Eater a little bit. Maybe the months that they had been together were beginning to pay off. The pegasus made a small smile of her own.