• Published 12th Jul 2020
  • 16,567 Views, 1,093 Comments

The Alicorn Warrior - iAmSiNnEr



Twilight Sparkle was banished from Equestria a long time ago. Now when the rest of the Mane 6 finds her, they find that she has changed.

  • ...
77
 1,093
 16,567

Act I - Chapter 19 - The Traveler and the Goddess

The Alicorn Warrior

Written by iAmSiNnEr

Edited by Stinium_Ruide

Chapter 19 - The Traveler and the Goddess


An icy storm surrounds the city of crystal;

A goddess hides away in her empire.

She now seeks the answer to why her world has collapsed around her.

She looks for a loved one, for one of her fellow goddesses.

-

A traveler traverses the lands.

His face, shifting every so often.

The traveler is a third wheel; an unintended factor.

With knowledge he shouldn’t have, he sets out on his quest.

He brings information to the weary Goddess of Love and her beloved.

And for her, Hope accompanies him.


The door to the tavern slammed open. A cloaked pony stepped in as gusts of wind blew inside, making the curtains sway. The ponies in the tavern looked up, scrutinizing the new arrival in silence as the earth pony at the bar counter looked up and scowled.

“Shut the door!” he bellowed. “You’re letting the snow and cold in!”

The howl of the winter storm outside was muffled as the stranger closed the door, before he gingerly trotted to the counter and took a seat. Once he had settled down, the tavern had roared back into life as the crowd returned to their individual, private conversations.

“The storm’s getting bigger.” Sliding off his hood, a blue unicorn stared at the earth pony behind the counter. “Give me the best drink you have.”

“Ain’t seen you ‘round these parts before,” the earth pony commented as he focused on pouring the unicorn a tankard. “Rarely anyone outside our villages comes this far up North. I mean, sure, there have been more tourists ever since the Crystal Empire had returned...but our village is really off the beaten track. What’s your name, stranger?”

“Maximus,” the unicorn promptly replied. “Or you can just call me Max. And yours?”

“Dirty Glass,” he grunted. “So, what brings you this far North?” He slid the tankard over to Maximus, the liquid inside sloshing at the sides.

“Oh, I’m just traveling to the Crystal Empire.” Maximus grinned as the earth pony stiffened.

The tavern had gone silent again, all of the patrons now staring at him with a look of hostility in their eyes. “What business do you have there?” Dirty Glass carefully asked. “The Empire is closed. Everyone should know this.”

“Oh, just wanting to meet the Princess—” he broke off as every unicorn in the room dragged their stools aside and stood up, their horns flaring up. “Oh, come on, Captain, don’t you recognize me?”

“Bloody hell,” the earth pony cursed. “You?”

“Yep,” Maximus smirked. “Now, now, Captain Oak. Tell your ponies to stand down. Just wanted to test your defenses.”

Oak scowled. “If that’s really you, Traveler, what’s the password?”

“Nimble Terry Chack Check,” Maximus stated without a flicker of hesitation. “And with a cherry on top.”

“Stand down,” Oak sighed as his figure transmogrified to reveal an armored unicorn, the crest of the Crystal Empire proudly displayed on his breastplate. “It’s the Traveler.”

The unicorns grumbled as their own disguises melted off them, revealing more armed soldiers. “What is it this time, Traveler?” Oak asked as he pulled out a seat for himself. “Level One? Level Two? I hope it was worth your time traveling all the way up here.”

“This time, my information is even more important,” Maximus said, ignoring the tankard in front of him in favour of staring at Oak. “And by the way, your defenses are inadequate; my disguise wasn’t broken when I popped in.” ”

“Shut up,” Oak snapped. “It’s not our fault your spells bypass almost every ward we can conjure. Spit the information out, and you can leave with your payment.”

“Oh, no,” Maximus let out a throaty laugh. “This one's for the Prince and Princess’ ears only. Code, TS. Tee, Ess.”

Oak froze, his gaze boring into Maximus’s eyes. After a few moments of silence, he unfroze. “You sure?” he finally asked, the skin around his eyes taut. “Months of silence on that end, and you always said you never had information on that front.”

“Well, now I do.” Maximus grinned triumphantly. “So now you know why it is only for their Royal Majesties only.”

“If you’re messing with us…” Oak threatened. “Code Tee Ess is nothing to be taken lightly. You yourself know how important she is to Their Majesties.”

“Of course,” Maximus leaned back in his chair. “Who do you take me for? What are you waiting for? Send out the message!”

“Already done,” a burly earth pony to their left uttered. “They’re on their way. They also sent a message ahead to warn you that if you were joking, you better be running by the time they arrive.”

“Whatever,” Maximus shrugged. “I’m not lying. Besides, I have an interest in this too.”

“Yeah,” Oak snapped. “An interest for money. You’re just leeching off Her Royal Highness—”

“I can take care of it from here, Captain Oak,” a gentle voice spoke from the other side of the room, where the stairs were. Both Maximus and Oak looked over to see an alicorn standing there with a white unicorn stallion beside her. “I’d like to have some privacy with the Traveler, please. If he is speaking the truth, we need to hear this, alone.

“You heard the Princess!” Oak shouted after a moment of hesitation. “Clear out!” In a matter of moments, everyone in the room vanished except for Maximus and the two new arrivals.

“Spill the beans,” the unicorn demanded. “Tell me: where is she?!”

“Now, now, Prince Shining Armor,” Maximus chided. “Manners. I’m the one with the information you need.”


“You dare—” he started forwards, but the alicorn held him back with her magic.

“I apologize for my husband’s rudeness, Traveler,” Princess Cadance murmured. “He is just worried, as am I. Shall we start over again?” Shining scowled, but Cadance stared at him with a pointed look.

“Sure!” Maximus cheerfully said.

“Greetings, Traveler, we meet again,” Cadance smiled warmly. “I see you’re in a different body from the last time.”

“Indeed,” Maximus nodded. “I needed a change. Anyways, my last form had a bounty on it.”

“Can we stop beating around the bush and get to it?” Shining exploded. “Tell me where my sister is so we can go get her!”

“Not so fast.” Maximus stood up. “I am unable to tell you where she is.”

“So, if you’re not going to give us her location,” Cadance mumbled softly. “What information do you have for us then?”

“I would if I could,” Maximus replied, shrugging. “But her location...somehow it’s been enchanted to appear on no map. I have tried tracking her, but it didn’t work. Anyways, it doesn’t matter. She’s coming back.”

Shining and Cadance turned and looked at each other. “To Equestria?”

“Yes.” Maximus nodded. “But that is not what I am here to tell you. Your spies would have told you that she was in Equestria eventually. I have more...substantial information.”

“Tell us,” Cadance pressed. “If what you tell us is truly important, I will give you whatever you want. I shall spare no expense to bring my sister-in-law home, and keep her safe from whatever is going on with Aunt Celestia and the nobles.”

“Something big is happening in two weeks,” Maximus murmured mysteriously. “She will be involved in it.”


“What?” Shining raised an eyebrow. “Impossible. None of our spies have reported anything on such a large scale.”

“Nobody knows about it...yet.” Maximus grinned. “Only I do.”

Shining groaned. “Is this from your imaginary friend Destiny, again?”

“Take it as you will,” Maximus stated as he started for the door. “You can choose to trust me or not. But to show my sincerity, I will not be asking for payment for this. I genuinely want you to have enough time to prepare for what’s ahead. Two weeks: that is all the time you have before you might lose her...forever.” With that, he threw the door open, and disappeared into the shadowy storm.

“Wait!” Cadance called out, galloping to the door. A entropic flurry of snow and ice cooked by her own storm pelted her senses.

“Inform our contacts in Equestria,” she said in a low voice. “We’re going there.”

“But—” Shining started.

“No buts!” she almost yelled. “We need to get there before Twilight does, or she’s going to be lost to us forever! Isn’t that why we made this storm? To keep our ponies safe from them? Now. We’re going to Equestria to bring her back, and make sure whatever’s going on with Auntie Celestia and Luna doesn’t affect her too.”

“Of course,” Shining nodded as he joined her side, staring out into the winter storm. “I only wish we’d have more information than just ‘something’s about to happen’...”


Author's Note:

As a note, don't be afraid to comment down below what you think! I read every comment, I just don't reply to all of them. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

I appreciate all comments and love all analysis of my chapters, and I was really happy to have those two analyses last chapter :D

Also, do tell me if you guys like the new front section paragraphs I'm adding...

Also, I might be adding the cutie marks of the main character of the chapter to the top of the page, let me know what you think! Cadance's cutie mark is just a test, might remove if y'all don't like it.