• Published 12th Jul 2020
  • 16,659 Views, 1,095 Comments

The Alicorn Warrior - iAmSiNnEr



Twilight Sparkle was banished from Equestria a long time ago. Now when the rest of the Mane 6 finds her, they find that she has changed.

  • ...
77
 1,095
 16,659

Act I - Chapter 9 - Fights and Feelings

The Alicorn Warrior

Written by iAmSiNnEr

Edited by Speccer

Chapter 9- Fights and Feelings


Twilight grimaced as the griffons charged towards them. She never did like fighting, but they were the ones attacking her and she would defend herself.

The last few times they had come, she had used a few well-placed spells to injure, knock out and scare them. This time, she intended to try the same tactic to send them back to wherever they came before she had to resort to killing.

Lighting her horn, she cast a repulsor spell, which threw about a quarter of the group backwards and they slammed into the ground. That was a quarter that would be out of the fight for now. She lit her horn again, and picked up several of them in a levitation spell and threw them against the wall.

A crossbow bolt was fired at her, but it slammed into a shield that she reactively put up. Twilight rolled her eyes and fired a bolt of pure magic at the ground in front of the griffons, which she had expected the griffons to back away from, but what she didn’t expect was the lead griffon to barrel straight forward and the bolt to slam into him, throwing him backwards. She frowned. Something was not right.

While she had been distracted, a griffon snuck up behind her and sliced his sword down. Immediately, one of her magic wards repelled it and the sharp end sliced into the griffon’s front claw, and the griffon collapsed. Twilight sighed. She had put up magic wards after the last time some creature had snuck up on her.

Lighting her horn, she teleported into the middle of the group and smiled grimly. “Surprise!” she called out and lit her horn, a wave of magic blasting outwards in a circle, hitting the rest of the griffons squarely in their chests, blasting them backwards. She smiled in satisfaction and turned away, scanning the arena for any remaining griffons.

Suddenly, eight crossbow bolts hit her wards and rebounded. She spun around, to see a sight she did not expect. The griffons were getting up, not even dazed from the magic blast she had just done. As she was watching the griffons get up, a sword slammed into her wards, and this time the wards lost some of their power and she was pushed forwards a little.

Spinning around, the griffon whose sword had sliced into his claw was standing there, holding his sword aloft, preparing for another charge. Twilight’s eyes widened. How was he still standing after that injury?

A roar of sound from behind her, evidently the rest of the griffons attacking her. Lighting her horn, she teleported away, not wanting to fight in the middle of the group. She appeared in the spectator box and looked down. As she scanned the griffons, she frowned. All fifty seemed well, albeit with some cuts and scratches. In fact, even from being thrown around, none of them seemed to be in pain or dazed.

Lighting her horn, she scanned them for magic spells. As she did so, all of the griffons raised a crossbow and fired at her. Eyes widening, she teleported away. Even her wards and shields could not take that much damage. As she appeared behind the griffons, in the spectator stands, her scan finished and she instinctively raised an eyebrow. Some creature had cast an unknown spell on the griffons.

She did a mental headcount and counted fifty. Her eyes narrowed. How had they not lessened in number? At the very least, the one she had hit with a magic bolt should have been taken out of the equation.

“Last chance to surrender, Sparkle,” the lead griffon called out. “And we’ll let you leave.”

Twilight smiled grimly. “Nah,” she replied. “No chance of that.”

“Very well. Go on, boys, tear her apart!” he shouted. As he said that, the griffons charged. Twilight sighed. If they weren’t about to give up, she’d have to make them give up.

Materialising a dark purple blade, she teleported into their midst and sliced the sword along their legs, causing them to fall over. Using her back hooves, she bucked the nearest one in his chest, sending him flying. As she did so, she heard something crack. Grimacing, she concentrated on the fight. It wouldn’t do to get distracted in the middle of a fight. It would be fatal for her.

Lighting her horn, she sent a wave of ice towards the nearest griffons, freezing them in place as she sliced the blade down into vital muscles for moving. She had to be precise for this. Luckily, her magic was more than up for the job. The quick and precise slices along their muscles sent the first few into spasms. As she brought her blade up to attack the next one, a blade slammed into her wards from behind her. Spinning around, she cast a spell, and it slammed into the griffon squarely in his chest, sending him flying.

Immediately, Twilight quickly teleported away, as a blade sliced down on the spot where she was before. Teleporting back in, she bucked another one of the griffons in the back, and the sound of something crunching could be heard.

Lighting up her horn, she dodged the next barrage of crossbow bolts, and cast a spell. As the remaining griffons rushed her, they failed to notice the icy floor, and slipped on it, their claws scrabbling to regain balance. Twilight then fired a repulsor spell, which sent the rest flying.

Twilight surveyed the scene. Most of them had suffered injuries that would take them out of the equation. Dusting herself off, she turned to leave and take care of the griffons hunting down the arena's contestants.

"Watch out!" Hard Line yelled.

Hearing his shout, Twilight spun and parried a griffon's blade with her own. Using her earth pony strength, she pushed him back and sliced the sword along a tendon in the front right claw, causing him to lose his grip on the sword. After that, she methodically slammed the blunt end of the sword into his face, sending him sprawling.

Movement from behind her. Twilight reacted, and teleported away in the nick of time as twenty crossbow bolts were fired at her last location. Appearing behind the group, her eyes narrowed. How were they getting up? The injuries she caused them should have prevented them from attacking her again, which confused her.

"Heh." The burly griffon pushed himself up. "You are confused. Rightfully so. Did you think that my employers would send us back without anything else, knowing that your strength far exceeds ours? This time, he hired a mage, to cast a spell that would allow us to feel no pain. Any damage you cause to us will only stop us for a moment. We will not pass out from pain. We will not die from pain. The only way you can kill us is a straight thrust into our hearts or cutting off our heads."

Twilight sighed. It would seem she had to kill them. "Why is it," she wondered out loud. "that every villain always reveal their weaknesses?"

"What weakness? I see no weakness-" the griffon ceased speaking as Twilight teleported and sliced off his head.

"That weakness, idiot." She stated as she teleported again, and stabbed another squarely in the heart. The next few minutes she methodically sliced and stabbed, ending the griffons' lives.

Before long, every griffon lay dead on the ground, either by their head being cut off or a sword stabbed cleanly through their hearts. Panting slightly, Twilight teleported back up to Hard Line. "That...should be all of them," she muttered.

Hard Line nodded. "There are still the ones hunting down our contestants, but for the moment, take a breather. I know that you hate killing. Take this moment-"

"They didn't give me a choice," Twilight murmured. "They kept coming, and since they felt no pain, I couldn't stop them. All I could do was to end their lives. What is the point? Of killing? Of death? They could have lived. But they just wouldn't take the hint."

"It's not your fault," Hard Line informed her. "They were the foolish ones. They were the ones who challenged you. If you still feel guilt, remember that if you had given the arena back hundreds would die. This is morally right."

She sighed. "I know, but it doesn't make it any better-"

"Twi-?" A voice called out. Twilight turned to see Rainbow hovering in the air, horror in her eyes. "What- what did you do-?"


Earlier


"Gah!" Rainbow cried out in frustration. "Where'd she go?"

"I would assume the arena, darling. She said she had to help, after all," Rarity remembered.

"Then let's go!" Rainbow flew around the room. "We have to help her!"

"Not so fast, sugarcube," Applejack glanced at her. "We don't even know where the arena is from where we are."

"Easy peasy!" Rainbow exclaimed. "I'll just fly up and see!" Once the words left her mouth, she flapped her wings and flew out of the window, ascending into the air.

Scanning the area, she took note of her surroundings. Twilight's house was just on the edge of the town that stood next to the arena. Rainbow frowned. There seemed to be something happening in the town. Also, why did Twilight ask them to meet at a town three days away from the arena when she lived right next to the arena? Rainbow shrugged. Twilight must have had her reasons.

Flying back in the window, she landed next to the rest of the group. “The arena’s right next to the town that this house is in. We could just go over, and arrive in less than ten minutes.”

“Right then,” Starlight decided. “Dash, you head over first to help her out, and we’ll make our way over.” Rainbow nodded, flapped her wings and in the next moment was soaring over the town.

“Twilight…” she muttered. “I hope you’re fine…” Flying over the town, she glanced down and her eyes narrowed. A griffon was chasing a blue coloured pony. “Didn’t Twi say that griffons were attacking the arena contestants?” she wondered out loud. “Right then.”

She dived, heading for the griffon. Once she was within range, she slammed a hoof into the griffon’s face, sending him sprawling. “I hate bullies!” she called out, ascending into the air. “I hope you feel that tomorrow!”

As Rainbow flew on, she did not notice the griffon getting up with hate in his eyes.

Within a minute, she had arrived at the arena. Hovering over the arena, she looked down and her eyes widened in horror. Twilight was teleporting around, calmly ending the griffons’ lives. Every time she teleported, she sliced off a griffon’s head or stabbed her sword into the griffon’s body.

After a few minutes, Twilight teleported onto the podium next to a pegasus, panting slightly. Even from the distance, Rainbow could see that she was tired. Shaking her head, she flew downwards. She had to get to the bottom of the situation.

“-it any better-” Twilight was saying.

“Twi-?” Rainbow called out. “What- what did you do?”

Twilight turned slowly, her eyes meeting Rainbow’s eyes. “I did what I had to do,” she said regretfully. “I was defending myself.”

“But why did you kill them?” Rainbow asked, “You could have just simply knocked them out, or- or-”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Watch out!” Her horn lit up, and her magic shoved Rainbow aside as she leapt forwards and deflected a crossbow bolt off her sword.

Rainbow spun, to see the griffon she had sucker punched earlier. “You...will die!” he promised. “The rest of my group is coming, and they will kill you all!”

“What?” Rainbow breathed. “How are you still standing after I punched you with all my strength?”

Twilight grimaced. “They don’t feel pain, Dash. Which is why knocking them out or causing an injury that would normally stop them doesn’t work.”

Rainbow gasped. “They don’t feel pain? But-” Twilight shoved her aside, and a few crossbow bolts whizzed past.

“What did you do?” Twilight demanded. “I thought I told you to stay in the house! I can settle this myself! Now, you’ve angered every other griffon and they’re all coming now!”

“Don’t kill them, Twi,” Rainbow said quietly. “Death isn’t the answer to everything.”

Twilight didn’t answer her, choosing to watch the incoming horde of griffons. Her eyes narrowed. “Hard Line, didn’t Knot say there were only a hundred?”

The pegasus nodded. “He did say so, yes.”

“Then why is there more than a hundred heading for us now?” Rainbow turned to look outside of the arena, and her eyes widened. A horde of griffons was flying towards them, their eyes alight in a murderous light.

“This is bad,” the pegasus decided. “They can’t feel pain, which means there are only two ways to stop them. And Sparkle is tired, which means she can’t handle all of them by herself.”

Twilight glanced at the pegasus. “Don’t underestimate me, Hard Line.” her horn lit up in a bright lavender aura. “I still have a lot of fight left in me.”

Her horn blazed, and Twilight ascended into the air, her wings flapping furiously. “You want the arena back?!” she yelled. “You’ll have to go through me!”


Twilight shot forwards in the air, and the griffons squawked in surprise as she slammed into the front of their horde, her horn awash in a bright lavender light. Yelling, she discharged her spell, and the first twenty went down with their eyes unseeing, her magic having stabbed a magic dagger into each of them.

Spinning in the air, she cast another spell, and a wave of magic blasted outwards in a ring, slamming into the griffons who were about to attack her, and sending them sprawling down towards the ground. Swinging her sword around, it blazed with an unearthly purple glow, and she stabbed it through the next griffon.

Grimacing, she lit her horn, and a wave of ice hit the next wave of griffons, freezing them instantly and sending them plummeting to the ground. Pulling up a shield, she deflected the hail of bolts heading for her, and cast another spell, severing the next few griffons’ windpipes.

As she whirled around to face the rest of the griffons, she noticed that the rest of them were still rushing at her. “Why do you throw away your lives like this?” she shouted. “You know I can easily kill you, why do you keep coming?”

The griffons paused, and glanced at one of their fellows, a brown unassuming griffon. Hovering in the air, he spoke. “We know we will die. Our families will never want for anything more if we do this. After all, we know we aren’t the ones to take you down. We simply are the distraction, the ones to tire you out for the mages our employers have sent to kill you.”

“What mages?” Twilight demanded.

“You’d like to know, wouldn’t you?” the griffon sneered. “But I’m not telling you. Go on, boys, let’s rip her apart for her-” a fireball slammed into him and the griffons around him, and burnt them to ashes.

Twilight sighed. “The more you talk, the longer you stay alive. The less useful the information you reveal to me, the shorter your life is. Your organization is a blight on this world, and I want it gone. When you all ran the arena, so many died. I was almost one of them,” Her eyes narrowed. “And you still have the audacity to try and take it back. Do you think I would stand for it?”

The griffons roared, and charged. Twilight sighed, and lit her horn. “Enough.” Her horn glowed a bright orange, and a gout of flame spewed out and burned through the griffons heading for her. “You never stood a chance against me,” she explained. “I have learnt many combat spells in the last three years from unicorns who spent years surviving in the arena. And the one thing I do best is learn. Of course, I don’t want you all dead, but you gave me no choice-”

A black shield appeared in front of her and deflected the flames back at her. Twilight’s eyes widened, and she teleported away just in the nick of time. As she reappeared four metres to the left, she glanced down. Twenty unicorns had suddenly appeared seemingly out of nowhere. She scanned the area using her magic, and found magical residue next to the group of unicorns. “A portal...so that’s how you were coming…” she muttered.

“Surrender, Twilight Sparkle!” one of the unicorns called out. “We of the Dark Order will kill you if you do not. Surrender now, and our employers promise to let you go, alive!”

“The Dark Order?” she murmured. “Who are you?” she asked. “I’ve spent years fighting the organization, and I’ve never heard of you being part of them!”

A female unicorn stepped forward and inclined her head. “My name is Arshelle. The Dark Order is our little group of mercenaries that work for gold. We were hired to take you down, and kill you. We were also the ones who enchanted the griffons to feel no pain. Of course, that didn’t work as well as we thought it would. But, we are more than confident that we can kill you. Even if you are an alicorn, you surely have depleted mana from all those battle spells. We are twenty, and outnumber you. Surrender now, and we will let you live.”

Twilight sighed. “I’ll never surrender. The moment I do, is the moment I die. I do this because I know if I surrender thousands will die once again. I cannot let that happen. Why are you doing this? You know that so many will die if their organization has control of the arena once more.”

Arshelle shrugged. “We don’t care. All we care for is being paid. If you don’t want to surrender,” she pulled a staff out. “We will have to do battle.”

Twilight raked her gaze over the unicorns. “So be it.”

As soon as the words left Twilight’s mouth, twenty bolts of magic were fired at her. Her eyes widening, she teleported. Appearing behind the group, she fired a repulsor spell at them.

As the spell was about to make contact, the staff held by the unicorn named Arshelle glowed and the spell bounced off a shield that suddenly appeared. “We aren’t defenceless,” Arshelle called out. “This staff has over a month’s worth of mana inside and is enchanted with dozens of wards to protect us. You stand no chance, even if you are an alicorn.”

“We’ll see about that,” Twilight muttered. Her horn lit, and she drew a complicated symbol in the air. As soon as it was finished, she admired her work. The symbol of Gemini, the symbol of the trickster. Her smile widening, she activated the spell.

A purple glow filled the air, and the unicorns blinked as the bright light filled their vision. As soon as the light faded, they glanced at Twilight. Only, there wasn’t just one.

Twenty copies of her were hovering in the air, and all of them had their horns lit. “It is not I who stands no chance,” they said, their voices overlapping each other. “It is you. You stand no chance against me, who has had over fifteen years of magical training, and has one of the highest amounts of raw magic ever recorded in the history of Equestria as an unicorn. Time to see if your month’s worth of mana can stand up to me.”

Their horns lit up in a bright purple light, and a barrage of spells were blasted at the staff, the bolts twisting and warping with the strength they had been cast with.

Author's Note:

And bam, a new chapter so soon. I was inspired so I wrote this in record time, hehe.

And also, thank you all so much for 140 followers!

Also, a joke from my editor/friend.

"Twi-?" A voice called out. Twilight turned to see Rainbow hovering there, horror in her eyes. "What-what did you do-?"

mass gryphoncide
/ˈˈɡrɪfɪnsʌɪd/

noun
the killing of a lot of gryphons by another.