• Published 10th Jul 2020
  • 305 Views, 26 Comments

Bugs, Fluff and Other Stuff - Silent Whisper



A collection of mini-fics. Probably tastes vaguely of cinnamon. Void where prohibited by law. Batteries not included. Made in a facility that processes peanuts. A 15% gratuity will be automatically applied to parties with 6 people or more.

  • ...
2
 26
 305

Somepony stole my car radio, and now I just sit in silence

It was a quiet night, for the most part. Well, Vinyl Scratch was stuck in traffic, so in actuality it was a quiet night everywhere but a ten-foot radius from her car. She had the radio cranked up to max; partially because it was 9pm and if somepony got mad that her music kept them up, well, they weren’t supposed to be sleeping at the wheel anyway, but mostly because it wasn’t as though anypony was going to file a noise complaint on the interstate.

When Octavia was in the car, the music would be classical this time of night. The hosts giving informative blurbs would have long since finished their final messages, leaving only calm music, played at window-rattling decibels because it was Vinyl’s car and she wouldn’t let ‘Tavi pick both the music and the volume.

Her marefriend wasn’t in the car, though, so it was Vinyl’s turn to pick. She flipped through stations idly, never sticking with the same one for a whole song. The ponies in the van next to her must’ve been confused to be serenaded with spicy dance music one moment, then the jarring voice of NPR halfway through the final chorus. Vinyl didn’t care. This was her car, it was her volume knob, it was her choice to wait until the last minute to head to the store, only to be stuck in after-dark-construction-traffic on the way home.

And she wished Octavia was in the car, so Octavia could tell her that she’d been right all along in reminding her to go earlier. Then, Vinyl would crank up the noise to drown out her rightness, and flip through stations until the words blended together into meaningless sound. But Octavia hadn’t ridden with her, she’d said she was perfectly fine waiting at home for the groceries, so it was just Vinyl, with a few jugs of milk and bunches of barley in the passenger seat, and the nagging feeling that no amount of radio could drown out.

It was a quiet night, inside her head, and unlike anypony else’s voice, she couldn’t choke out the doubts swirling around her mind as she waited. The ruby eyes of the brake lights in front of her gazed into her soul, and confirmed what she’d known the moment she glanced up at the clock: Octavia had been right, and Vinyl was wrong. Again. She reached over and, after a moment of hesitation, pressed her hoof against the power button on the radio. The silence, at least, would let her feel guilt in peace.