• Published 8th Jul 2020
  • 198 Views, 0 Comments

Ponez: Pony Girls in the City - Chrome Masquerade



This is why video games and magi-science experiments don't mix well.

  • ...
 0
 198

Plans and Progress

The next day, the girls sat around the table, breakfast smoothies being served. Questions had to be asked and (hopefully) answered

"Okay." Sunset took a deep breath and said, "I think I've figured a few things out." She raised her left hand. "One: I think we're here because this place needs us for some reason. What that could be I haven't divined yet, but progress is being made. Second: Why we're locked just past our typical 'pony up' forms."

Everyone in the room took on a deadpan expression. "Equestrian magic?"

Sunset looked sheepish briefly, but continued. "That obvious, huh? Yeah, that's the Idea. But there's more to it than that." Looking to Pinkie Pie, she said, "Pinkie, while you and mister Coleman were playing, he pony'd up too! Having been exposed to Equestrian magic for so long and so often, however, the seven of us have taken the next step down the anthro chart. I think it also means that things are escalating back in our-"

Sunset looked up briefly and amended, "YOUR world. At this rate, we'll end up with another world populated by ponies, soon enough! If a video game can be affected by my world's magic so profoundly, WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD B-" She was shouting by now, causing Applejack to halt her.

"Breathe, sugar cube." Applejack said. "You've ev'ry right ta be worried, but shoutin' ain't gonna solve nothin'."

Sunset took a few deep breaths, then continued. "I'm sorry. You're right, Applejack. Cooler heads must prevail, as they say. Either way, we need to figre out what's going on here and how to beat this game ASAP." She raised a third finger. "I can't be entirely sure, but I think the AI for Daddy Bigbucks is trying to get another turn with the dice, if you know what I mean. If he actually DOES take over the city in game, the AI might have enough clout (technologically speaking) to make a move upon the real world."

"And then?" Twilight queried

"Game over." Sunset half-whispered.

There was dead silence for a long moment The stakes had risen considerably.

Summoning her will again, Rainbow Dash took on a determined expression and said, "We need to stop him more than ever. I know the game the best - having finished it three times. I'll help as much as I can, considering that the plot will be different from how it was before. The city's FAR bigger than it usually is, for one."

Sunset nodded. "Right. That'd be a huge help. He already has King Tower; probably most of Glasstown. Taking him down won't be easy."

"When's it ev'r been?" Applejack muttered, scuffing the floor wth one hoof.

Rainbow said, "Next we should probably talk to Dusty Hogg and... his brother to try to get what support they can provide."

Rarity queried, "What's his brother's name, so we know who to look for?"

Rainbow exhaled sharply and facepalmed. "This is my one issue with this series of games. Let's just say... Dusty Hogg's brother is... Ewan Watahmee."

Immediately getting the terrible joke, facepalms were the unanimous response.

Rainbow continued. "Dusty's going to need about 500 Simoleons for renovations to their place. Also, since Applejack and I are Streeties and the sporty type, we should be the ones to talk to them." Turning to Applejack, she said, "Dusty likes to trash talk. The more you mock him and brag, generally act tough, the more he'll like you. His brother is more... empy... ephma..." She always had troule pronouncing this one word; even though she was a high schooler she still couldn't say it! At length she frowned and said, "He's more mellow. More of a regular guy. I'll chat him up and we'll go from there."

She turned to Twilight next. "Max Moore's more your speed, Twilight. Help him out and he'll give us access to the Max Stat minigame and the Classes system; something of an easier way to earn skill points for some skills. One of the other nerdies also speaks your language. She's... Polly Nomial." Rainbow said the last but through clenched teeth. "Yes, she's important later. Get on her good side. Also, ignore the guy sleeping in the corner for now. He won't be important for a while yet"

Next, she looked at Pinkie. "Pinkie, around town now and then you'll see Crystal. Befor you ask, yes, her name is just Crystal. Show her a good time and we'll get access to the Xizzle Club. We can spend these beads we keep getting from the friends that mostly Pinkie makes. With a 'Mini'-opolis of this size, I'll say that... ten of these will get you a Xizzle." she explained, bringing uou a couple of the beads she had.

Pinkie said, "Oh! That Darius guy mentioned those, right?"

"That's right. They're really useful skills. And we'll need all the help we can get."

Lastly she turned to Rarity and Fluttershy. "Occasionally you'll see Gramma Hattie wandering around town. She isn't into this whole Rep Group thing and is a bit of a fuddy-duddy, but is an alright sort. She becomes important real soon. Get her some tea, chat with her a bit and I'm sure you'll hit it off with her." Pointing at Sunset, she added, "Probably you too, if you lose the jacket. Even I can tell that with that on you look like something of a rebel."

Sunset admitted to herself that this was more true than they'd think, but kept silent save a single "Hmm.".

In front of Rainbow, a window appeared.

Logic +2

She frowned at it. "Oh, stuff it, you." The window disappeared, leaving an air of smugness behind.

Rainbow Dash knew what this implied. By the game's logic, the more she used her brain power, the smarter she was going to get, and likely vice-versa. At the rate she was going, she'd start sounding like a Nerdie.(1)

Disregarding that for now, she said, "We'll need to do this quick. You all know what to do."

Author's Note:

1: From Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 we know that Rainbow Dash isn't as dumb as some like to think. And besides....

EDr. Rainbow Dash, MD, PhD, etc.
Rainbow Dash has an unusual way of learning, and Twilight’s determined to take advantage of it. Before she knows it, Rainbow’s life unravels before her eyes as she becomes the smartest pony alive.
FrontSevens · 4.6k words  ·  1,465  72 · 19k views