• Published 7th Jul 2020
  • 3,023 Views, 120 Comments

Coronation of Compassion - Echo Breeze



Sunset has begun her recovery. She has even become a princess. This is the next chapter of her story.

  • ...
5
 120
 3,023

Altercation

There was silence as the girls tried to process what I had just said. I started to shrink in my seat, unsure of how they would react. Pinkie was the first to recover.

“Ohmygosh. I’m so happy for you guys.” she said, causing Fluttershy and Rarity to snap out of it and congratulate us as well. Applejack on the other hand took a little longer.

“Lemme get this straight. Y’all are in a relationship. Have been for a couple days, Ah presume. Y’all didn’t tell us y’all felt that way about girls before this.” Applejack said, to which Dash and I nodded. “Are y’all sure it ain’t too soon after that whole thing?”

“AJ, we appreciate the concern, but I assure you that we have thoroughly thought about it.” I replied, Dash nodding in agreement. “Besides, her parents and my mother seem to approve.”

“Well, as long as y’all are happy, Ah’m happy.” she said, nodding her head. “Now, who’s up for a little party?” She cracked open a bottle of cider and passed it down the line. When she handed me one, I politely declined, knowing that I would have to be sober for the long drive back to my apartment. I saw Dash declining one as well, opting instead for a glass of apple juice. She poured one for the both of us and handed me mine. Applejack raised her bottle. “To Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer. May they have many happy years together.” We all raised our glasses and cheered.


We got out of Applejack’s house just before the sun began to set. I fished my keys out of my pocket and hit the unlock button on my key fob. Dash and I climbed in, I turned the key and the V8 roared to life once again. Applejack walked up to the driver side window, and I rolled it down.

“Let me know when y’all get home safe, alright?” she asked. I nodded and took out my phone, having gotten everyone’s numbers again. She nodded and stepped back. I threw the car into reverse and backed up. I then shifted to first, revved the motor twice, and managed to do a rolling burnout, causing Applejack to cheer. I honked the horn and proceeded on the long trek home.

“Hey Dash.” I said, looking at her out of the corner of my eye.

“Mmhmm.” she murmured in reply.

“You don’t mind if we stop at the mall, do you? Gotta stock up on some things for when AJ is house sitting for us.” I asked

“I’ve got no problem with that.” she replied. I nodded and downshifted, with a new purpose in my features.

I got to the turn off that led to the mall, signalled and exited the highway. A couple minutes later, we arrived at the mall. I eventually found an open parking space within walking distance of the entrance, pulled into it and cut the engine.

“Right,” I said, grabbing my wallet from the glove box. “Let’s get it done.” Dash nodded and climbed out of the car. I followed suit and we walked hand in hand into the mall. I had a mental checklist drawn up of what we would need, and I decided to start with groceries. I led Dash over to the supermarket.

A couple of minutes later, Dash and I were hauling bags loaded with various food items to my car. I had at least thought of taking my keys out of my pocket beforehand. We got to the car and I hit the trunk release button on my key fob. Dash and I deposited the bags and went back inside. We stopped at the smoothie bar and ordered. I got myself a Carribean Fusion and Dash went for a Strawberry and Peach. I paid for the drinks once they were finished and we turned to go and find a seat. We didn’t get very far. Gilda and her cronies, the Diamond Dogs were standing where we needed to walk.

“Hey, Anon-a-Bitch. I thought I spied you walking through the mall earlier.” Gilda said, pushing off of the table she was leaning on and advancing on me, her lackeys two paces behind her. “I see you have stopped posting and deleted the account, but I still gotta make you pay.” Her lackeys laughed.

“Leave her alone, Gilda.” Dash leaped to my defence.

“No way, Dash. This bitch is gonna pay for posting that embarrassing photo, even if I have to go through you first.” Dash didn’t answer. She just moved in front of me in a protective movement.

“When I give the signal, run like a bat out of hell. I’ll meet you by the car.” she said to me, then turned to Gilda. She nodded to me and yelled, “YOU WILL NOT HARM HER!!”

I stayed a little longer than was necessary, and saw Dash’s fist connect with Gilda’s jaw. Gilda went down, but her lackeys surrounded Dash. I turned around as Dash disappeared beneath the Diamond Dogs. I ran, tears falling from my eyes. I heard mall security yelling, but I was too far away to hear what they said. I got to the exit and carried on running to my car. I fumbled with the key when I got there, and when I finally got a hold on them, I shakily hit the unlock button on the key fob.

I continued to cry while I was waiting for Dash to come out. A couple of minutes later, I had managed to stop crying, but my body was still wracked with sobs. Dash came out after I had regained some semblance of my composure, and I saw how badly banged up she was. She had several bruises on her face, a split lip, and she was cradling one of her ribs. I didn’t say anything. I just started my car and backed out of the parking space. I put the car in first gear and headed toward the hospital.

A couple minutes later, we arrived at Canterlot general. I parked the car, climbed out and went to help Dash out.

“This is unnecessary, Sunset. I’ll be fine.” Dash complained, but winced when she moved to get out. I leveled a deadpan expression at her.

“You are most certainly not fine, Dash.” I said.

“Okay fine.” she pouted, but I could tell she was secretly relieved to be getting medical attention. We walked to the front entrance and went straight to the emergency department.


An hour later, we came out of the hospital. Dash had received four stitches for her split lip, an ice pack for her black eye and her ribs were wrapped in bandages. Her rips weren’t broken, just badly bruised.

“Well, there go my plans for tonight.” she said, breathing a heavy sigh, then wincing afterward.

“I won’t ask, that way, it can still be a surprise.” I said in amusement. Dash just shook her head and carried on walking. We got to my car and I hit the unlock button on the key fob. I helped Dash climb in then went around to the driver’s side and climbed in. I started the car, backed out of the parking space, and set off toward my apartment.

We arrived half an hour later. I helped Dash out of the car and handed her the key to the apartment.

“Go on up. I’ve got this.” I said, motioning toward the stuff in the trunk. She nodded, and slowly walked off. I opened the trunk and began taking bags out when one of the neighbor’s kids saw me. He ran over.

“Hey miss. Can I help you with those?” he asked. I didn’t know what to say, so I just nodded. He grabbed some of the bags that I had already taken out and waited for me to take the rest. I did so, closed the trunk and walked to the stairs, the boy following me. I got up to my apartment to see that Dash had left the door open for me to get in with the groceries. I walked inside to see Dash had put the kettle on for tea. I took my wallet out of my pocket and pulled out a crisp, twenty dollar bill and handed it to the boy.

“Thanks for your help, kiddo, but I can handle the rest.” I said.

“Gee, thanks miss.” the boy beamed in response.

I then walked out after him to go get the rest of the stuff I had gotten. When I got back to the apartment, I saw Dash holding a steaming mug, but there was no scent of coffee in the air. I saw a mug of tea waiting for me on the kitchen island.

“So, I see you decided to go for a cup of tea. Why the sudden change, babe?” I asked, walking up to her and giving her a hug.

“Is there a problem with drinking tea every now and then?” she argued playfully. I held up my arms in mock defeat.

“No, not at all.” I replied with a chuckle.

“Well, I think I’m gonna turn in after this. It’s been a long day.” Dash said, yawning.

“I’ll join you soon, babe. Just gotta set the Ponystation up.” I said, kissing her forehead, my height advantage over her making it easy to do so. She just nodded and headed toward the bedroom.

About half an hour later, I walked into the bedroom to see that Dash had fallen asleep already. I could hear her whimpering in her sleep, pain obvious in her features. I kicked off my shoes and climbed in next to her just like that. I cuddled up to her in such a way that she was spoonwise to me, and so I didn’t hurt her more. I moved her fringe, kissed her forehead again and laid my head on the pillow.

“Good night, babe. Thanks for standing up for me today.” I said as I closed my eyes and fell asleep.