• Published 7th Jul 2020
  • 10,018 Views, 47 Comments

Forgiveness Denied - BrawnyBold



The Cutie Mark Crusaders lash out at Cozy Glow for failing her test on purpose.

  • ...
15
 47
 10,018

No Forgiveness for Anyone

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were inside of the Principal's office of the School of Friendship. They had no idea why they were brought back here considering Princess Twilight had just banned them for making Cozy Glow fail her test. Even when they pleaded that they didn't intentionally trick Cozy into failing, the Princess of Friendship still accused them without hearing them out. The CMC then heard the doors open to see their sisters and Twilight's other friends enter the room. The fillies feared that they were going to get yelled at by not only Twilight but also from her friends as well. Twilight turned her chair to face the CMC from behind her desk. Her face didn't show any signs of anger.

"We didn't do anything wrong, we promise!" Scootaloo pleaded.

"I know that, now." Twilight said with a smile. "Which is why I wanted to talk to you."

"Wait, so we're not in trouble?" Sweetie Belle said in confusion.

"Just the opposite," Starlight said as she and Cozy Glow approached the fillies. "Cozy Glow, is there something you like to say?"

"This was all my fault," Cozy confessed. "I messed up my test on purpose so we could all go to school together, I'm sorry." The CMC's jaws dropped when they heard what Cozy said. For some unknown reason, anger started to build up inside all of the members of the CMC. They just couldn't believe that Cozy would pull such a stunt like that. Twilight was about to say something until Scootaloo spoke out.

"Are you kidding me?!" Scootaloo yelled, which caught the attention of everyone in the room. "You got us kicked out of the school!"

"I thought you would know better than to do something like that to us!" Sweetie Belle added.

"B-but it was for good intentions," Cozy whimpered as her eyes formed tears.

"Good intentions or not, that doesn't change the fact that you took our trust for granted." Apple Bloom said sternly. "What you did was so darn despicable! That is the exact opposite of what a friend would do!" Cozy couldn't take it anymore as she cried out and flew out of the room in sadness.

"Cozy, wait!" Starlight said as she galloped after Cozy. Twilight marched up to the CMC as she didn't like how the fillies yelled at Cozy.

"Girls! She didn't mean to-" Twilight said before she was interrupted.

"Don't think you can lecture us as you had a part in this!" Scootaloo said while pointing a hoof at Twilight. This caused Twilight and her friends to gasp in response.

"Yeah, you just blamed us for making Cozy fail her test! We thought you were better than that!" Sweetie included. "I guess we were wrong about you! You're no Princess of Friendship!"

"We thought there was a lesson of your's about listening to a friend and not falsely accusing anypony without accurate proof! Guess that also shows that you're not a mare of her word and you only care about running your stupid school!" Apple Bloom concluded as she and the rest of the CMC stomped their hooves while exiting the room.

"We're done with this place!" Scootaloo hollered. "We don't want to be in a school that is run by a complete hypocrite!" Sweetie used her magic to slam the door behind them. There was complete silence in the room as everyone was in complete shock from what happened. Spike didn't know what to do as he held a pillow that had three rolled-up scrolls on it. Twilight just stood where she was as tears streamed down from her face. She once again felt like she had failed friendship.


After a long time, Twilight sat on her desk while feeling really depressed. Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow went to find the CMC and talk some sense into the fillies. Fluttershy and Pinkie just went back to teaching their classes. Spike went to substitute for one of Twilight's classes to allow Twilight to cope. Twilight levitated the three rolled-up scrolls that Spike had. The scrolls were the CMC's diplomas for graduating from the School of Friendship. It was suppose to show that the CMC didn't need attend the school since they were already so good with friendship. Now, the scrolls no longer held any purpose. Twilight felt like ripping apart the diplomas, but she couldn't as she wasn't in the mood. She couldn't get over the recent memories of the CMC yelling at Cozy and her. Twilight also remembered how she just yelled at the CMC without hearing their sides of the story. Twilight's guilt grew as she realized that she really didn't hear out the CMC. The door slowly opened to see a frowning Starlight entering.

"Well, that went south quickly." Starlight said as she entered the room. "Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow are trying to convince the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but it's a working progress."

"What about Cozy?" Twilight asked as she was worried since Cozy left while crying. Starlight levitated a rolled-up scroll on Twilight's desk.

"What's this?" Twilight said while looking curiously at the scroll.

"I found this inside of Cozy's room." Starlight answered. Twilight used her magic to open the scroll to read what it said:

Dear Princess Twilight,

I think that it's best for me to leave this school as I messed up big time with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. I still have a lot to learn about friendship after what I did. Good luck running the school and please tell the Cutie Mark Crusaders that I'm extremely sorry for the actions I have made.

From Your Former Student,
Cozy Glow

Twilight just threw down the letter and cried in her hooves as she felt like a failure. Twilight thought things were escalating for the worse thanks to her recent actions. Starlight took a look at the letter and placed a hoof on her mouth in shock. She then approached Twilight to give her some pats on her head to cheer her up.

"It's alright, Twilight." Starlight said as she comforted Twilight.

"No it's not!" Twilight yelled back, startling Starlight. "I screwed things up big time! I was supposed to be the Princess of Friendship! A pony who cares about friends getting along with friends! But I forgot all of that when I blamed the Cutie Mark Crusaders! I was just as bad as Chancellor Neighsay when he falsely accused the other creatures of using friendship as a weapon! Who knows how long until things get worse!" It was then Twilight collapsed on her desk and cried her eyes out. Starlight simply gave Twilight a hug in attempts to calm the princess down. Starlight stayed silent while hugging Twilight until the princess's crying slowed down. It was complete silent in the room as it was needed for Twilight.

"Feeling better?" Starlight whispered. Twilight just nodded although a large part of her wasn't. She was able to sit back up on her desk and just stared down in shame. "Look Twilight, what's done is done. You made your mistakes and so did the Cutie Mark Crusaders. It is best to move on from this."

"But how?" Twilight asked in desperation. "I doubt that the Cutie Mark Crusaders will forgive me or Cozy."

"The least you could do is formally apologize to the Cutie Mark Crusader. Maybe that might help convince the fillies to finally forgive you and Cozy." Starlight suggested.

"But what happens if they keep rejecting my apology?" Twilight asked before she began to think of worst case scenarios. "What if word gets out that I was terrible to those fillies!? What if Princess Celestia hears about this and removes my title as a princess!? What if friendships start to crumble as nopony will listen to what I have to say!? What if-" Twilight was interrupted when her head was bopped by Starlight's hoof.

"If the Cutie Mark Crusaders keep denying your apology, then learn from this and do better next time. Listen to what other creatures have to say before you start making conclusions. And if your other scenarios start to happen, work harder to show everyone that you really do care about friendship." Starlight then got up and made her way to the door. "Those are all I got for suggestions, Twilight. It's up to you to decide what to do." Starlight then left the room and shut the door. Twilight tried to think of her next plan of action in hopes of making things right with the CMC.

Author's Note:

I felt like I needed to write this fic as Marks for Efforts was such a harsh episode to me. Mostly because of Twilight as she just accused the CMC without hearing them out.

Comments ( 47 )

Yeah I hated that Twilight would automatically assume the CMC would tutor Cozy the wrong way as an attempt to get into her school. Sometimes the series does this stuff as a desperate attempt to teach a lesson while making others out to look like hypocrites.

Will there be a sequal to this?

10320266
No, it’s one of those stories where the ending is up to what the readers will think will happen.

"You got us kicked out of the school!"

And threw herself under the bus for you, but whatever.

"Good intentions or not, that doesn't change the fact that you took our trust for granted."

Because you've never lied in this show huh Apple Bloom? Hearts and Hooves Day anyone?

Mostly because of Twilight as she just accused the CMC without hearing them out.

Yeah I hated Twilight's portrayal in Season 8 from way early on. This was merely one of the episodes that was responsible for ruining the character for me.

Dear Princess Twilight,

I think that it's best for me to leave this school as I messed up big time with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. I still have a lot to learn about friendship after what I did. Good luck running the school and please tell the Cutie Mark Crusaders that I'm extremely sorry for the actions I have made.

From Your Former Student,
Cozy Glow

Poor Cozy Glow back on the streets! :fluttercry: Probably safer that way for her and Equestria though.

I had to admit there is things that you pointed out pretty well Forgiveness can be very hard to earn sometimes and saying sorry won't cut it

I know actions can speak louder than words, but I really think Twilight should've apologized to the CMCs in that episode

You're no Princess of Friendship!

Even if it might feel good to see it, that still sounds just a bit too much coming from Sweetie Belle, especially since lines like that are almost always only said in fanfics, usually accusation fics.

I can see the CMC laying into Twilight though if they were hurt enough. I would have liked to have seen something like that in the show, BUT at the same time, how they didn't and chose to let things go showed a great deal of maturity that's beyond their years, and earned respect points from me.

That's stuff we really do need to learn, not just stuff we want to see learned AKA lessons we like. The later seasons of FIM did have some more mature lessons, but not ones like having to act like an adult, even during times you don't want to.

I think the CMC are maybe a little too harsh to Cozy Glow and Twilight, but I do feel like a call out like this was warranted. Twilight not only accused the CMC without proof but she also denied them any chance to state their side of the story. And considering she once mentored them you would think she would know better than to jump to conclusions, especially when she never said she was sorry in the episode for what she did. :twilightangry2:

10320407

Yeah, especially because Starlight did both in "A Matter of Principals".

I think the writer of "Marks For Effort" said Twilight didn't give a verbal apology because she (the writer) wanted Twilight to show she was sorry with an action, even though Twilight's given verbal apologies before many times over the seasons. That makes this one of those times where I'd have to point not at Twilight, but the episode's writer, since another writer may have had Twilight give a verbal apology like she usually does.

This is even more eye-catching when you think that the same writer wrote both "Marks For Effort" and "A Matter of Principals". So why didn't Starlight give a non-verbal apology in it like Twilight did?

Might consider doing a Fanfic Reading of this story however my fanfic reading uploads are loaded from this month to October. Not gonna upload readings in November and December is obviously Christmas related. So I might do a fanfic reading of this in the new year.

Comment posted by Omnipotence deleted Jul 15th, 2020

10320751
I’m sorry, but this story won’t have a sequel. The story is the kind where people try to figure out what will happen. I wanted to make that kind of story.

10320265
What other conclusion could she have reached? She knew the CMC (who know all about friendship) were tutoring Cozy Glow, and the idea that Cozy would intentionally fail the test never ocurred to her, nor that the CMC would be poor tutors. So to her mind, that left only one viable explanation.

Hmm. :applejackunsure: I don't know what to say about this.

This was good, though I would've preferred Twilight giving the CMC a verbal apology and let them explain themselves. Although, and this is just my opinion, the CMC telling Twilight she doesn't deserve her Princess of Friendship title was a bit harsh.

I feel like Twilight's habit of jumping to conclusions needs to be addressed at some point.

10320909
Well since the author said he wanted his story to be one where the audience comes up with what happens next; we could have the CMC still be mad but admit they might have been a bit harsh on Twilight. Twilight herself acknowledges the girls had a right to be upset with her and that she needs to stop jumping to conclusions.

However I still wish the show's writers could have done this episode better. Season 1 or 2 Twilight I could see making mistakes like this but Season 8? Don't screw over character development and growth just for the sake of a plot; I hate that.

I think they are kind of hypocrites here, given they attempted to trick their way into the School at the beggining of the episode...

And I do also wonder what Cozy will get up to now...

Please tell me you’re going to make a sequel

10320426

This is even more eye-catching when you think that the same writer wrote both "Marks For Effort" and "A Matter of Principals". So why didn't Starlight give a non-verbal apology in it like Twilight did?

Did the same writer really write both? Huh. Good to know. I need to research stuff like this more often.

Normally I don't read other people's fics, but I couldn't resist. Glad to see I'm not the only one who calls Twilight out for her reprehensible acts.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/411596/marks-for-effort-twilights-reprimanding

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/454529/marks-for-efforts-twilights-treatment

Edit: Piss off, SuperSonicHeroes (You have no fics posted, so you have no right to say such things)

Edit #2: Stop downvoting me out of petty spite, least you prove that you are in fact toxic and bigoted people.

Edit #3 By effort You mean write the story to suit YOUR preferences. Too bad!

10327240
And just like everyone else who ever tried, you make a complete idiot out of yourself in the process.
Edit: Your dislikes mean nothing, they only prove me right.
Edit 2: Fuck off Dakrai! I don't need stories, I offer praise and support to stories I like. Besides, all your stories are nothing but troll bait from a whiny angsty loser. They all have more downvotes than upvotes because you put no effort into anything.

When I first watched this episode, I felt that Twilight should've given a worded apology to the CMC. But now, I don't think it was necessary because she can't be blamed for what happened. I mean, Cozy pretty much told her that the Crusaders were responsible for her failing her test. So Twilight wasn't jumping to conclusions, but rather acting based on what she was told. And also, she had no reason to suspect Cozy was lying. The Crusaders really have no reason to be angry at Twilight either. Any reasonable person in their position would understand why she reacted the way she did and wouldn't hold it against her.

10327411
Ignore him. He's a troll.

Excellent work on this, this is what should have been in the episode.

Comment posted by Omnipotence deleted Jul 15th, 2020

10327411
Trust me, don't bother giving him the time of day, he only cares about harassing other bronies for liking what he hates.

10330151

Not Harassing you, or insulting you, just voicing my/other's opinions. (It'll help)

You see, the fact remains she still didn't hear the CMC out, and accused them wrongly for something they didn't do, which IS jumping to conclusions. That's why people are angry at her, and we feel the CMC are rightfully upset with her. She (as the fic stated) kicked every friendship lesson out the door.

Again, not trying to insult you or change your mind, just telling you WHY people feel and act they way they do.

After all, would you like it if someone accused and punished you for something you didn't do and wouldn't hear you out?

10334122
Maybe. But to be fair, the Crusaders didn't really do anything to defend themselves. When Twilight banned them from the school they just walked out without a word. If someone had accused me of something I didn't do, I would put up much more of a defense, and I'd only be angry at them if they still didn't listen to me.

And also, saying Twilight kicked every friendship lesson out the door is a bit of an overreaction

10335308
Just forewarning you, you're talking to someone who hates everything about Twilight and the entirety of MLP for nonsensical reasons. As far as he's concerned, literally anything and everything Twilight does, be it right or wrong, warrants scorn and hatred.

I can’t even be mad at the crusaders. Also, isn’t cozy glow a villain at this point of the story?

10353848
Well, she first appeared as innocent. Until it was hinted on the later episodes that she was evil.

10354144
What episode was that?

10354509
Marks for Effort. We thought that she was just another student needed help. That was until episodes like Friendship University and What Lies Beneath made us think that Cozy was up to something.

10354719
So before those episode’s she wasn’t evil? Because I don’t think it was revealed when she turned to the bad side.

10354797
I have no idea. I assumed she was nice when she first appeared.

This isn't a completed story. You need a part 2 or you got to add more to it. You got to have some way for Twilight and the CMC to forgive and then you got to have them forgive Cozy Glow. I liked the one story where Twilight went to the treehouse to talk to the CMC and the CMC had such an emotional cry about what Twilight did in hurting their feelings and Twilight sat down and put her wing around the girls as they cried. You need something like that. It just seems incomplete as you left too many things unresolved.

10365399

Just answering for you...

The author intended it to stay this way to let US, THE READERS, decide the ultimate fate (The part 2) and it's not a bad move. It compels us to make our own stories.

10365399
They don't really need to.. It's their story, after all.

10392134
So I could write my own version of this? The author wouldn't get upset, would he, or she?

10638809

I've often been thinking of adding to this... like my own second chapter, not sure the site allows that

10643910


YOU... don't mind (That's fine, and very kind of you) but does the SITE allow it...

Still, I've done things like this before, and I never got in trouble for it (on other sites)

Well, anyways... thank you

I know Twilight still has things to learn, but here’s the thing; would it really be remotely possible to convince the student you’re teaching that the Princess of Friendship is “Your Mom”?

10886557

I know you didn't ask ME, but I'm just giving my own two cents.

No, I don't think it's possible. Twilight thinks the CMC made Cozy put in false answers, so they could have posted anything.

"Your mom"

"A turtle"

"A goat with corkscrews for a head"

...like that. (Still incriminates Twilight)

Login or register to comment