• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 5,531 Views, 133 Comments

Least Faithful Student - Dexter Helix



Twilight uncovers dark secrets of Equestria's past, while striving to protect the future from chaos

  • ...
15
 133
 5,531

Pinned

Rainbow Dash couldn't get up. She could only lay there, scratched and bloodied, in a shallow pool of ice-cold brine. She knew her right wing was badly injured, but she couldn't feel it. It was completely numb. As worried as she was, she couldn't even lift her head to make sure it was still there. Footsteps on the ice were growing ever closer, and even if Dash could have turned her head to see, she didn't want or need to. She knew exactly who it would be.

A talon grabbed Dash's left forehoof and lifted her up against a large chunk of ice. The other talon pressed down on her ribcage, pinning her down with unbelievable force. Gilda had always been stronger than Rainbow, but this was different. Intense. Surreal. Unnatural.

"Gilda?" Rainbow asked, coughing painfully, "Why?"

"Do I really have to explain this to you?"

"I thought we were friends..."

"We were friends, Dash. We aren't anymore. You made sure of that. Do you remember what you told me, all those years ago? How you promised me we would be friends forever? That you would be mine, forever?" Gilda asked, sneering, "Well, I remember. You broke that promise, Dash. You crushed my heart. And ever since that day, I've dreamed of nothing more than crushing yours."

Gilda pressed down even harder on Rainbow's chest. The pegasus was struggling to breath, her ribs straining under the pressure. Though the pain prevented her from speaking, her eyes were pleading more than words ever could.

"So when I heard I'd have the chance to tear Equestria to shreds, I jumped on the opportunity. I couldn't pass up the chance to see you again— make you apologize for what you did to me!" Gilda yelled, as she pressed the point of her beak into the tip of Dash's nose.

"I've been imagining what I'd do to you for so long... Nothing I could think of was more satisfying than taking your life... But that chase..." Gilda continued, lightening her grip just slightly, "It was exhilarating! Just like old times again. You always knew how to get my heart racing, Dash."

Rainbow looked up hopefully at the griffon, still pressed down against the wall of ice, her body heat slowly melting away at it, forming a cavity that encased her snugly — a made-to-fit tomb.

"Catching you was actually a challenge." Gilda added, smirking, "I don't even know any griffons who can fly like you can. So, I'm going to give you a chance to redeem yourself. A chance to prove you're more than just another pony. A chance to be a real hero."

Gilda released her grip just enough that Rainbow could breath again.

Through gasps for air, Rainbow asked, "What do you mean, hero?"

"You can end the war because they trust you. I'll forgive you if you go back into your camp and kill one of the Elements of Harmony. Just one. I'll even let you pick which one."

"No! I won't do it!"

"Dashie, Dashie. Are you really trying to pretend that you're above killing? Are you going to pretend I didn't see what you did to my squad-mates? That I didn't see that glimmer of satisfaction in your eye when you sent them falling to their deaths? When you murdered them?"

"That was— I—"

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, Dash. That's just the natural order of things. Kill, or be killed. Ponies have been coddled too long to remember that the same rule applies to them. But you... You've known about this your whole life. You've always had the heart of a griffon, Dash."

Rainbow looked up at her in shock and disgust.

"By getting the Elements of Harmony out of the way, we're just putting everything back to normal."

"I won't do it!"

"What?!" Gilda screamed, bearing down on Dash's chest once again, "I'm offering you the chance to be a hero! A glory unlike any a pony has ever known! There will be parades in your honor! Griffons will remember your name forever! We could be together again! You're giving all of that up so that you can defend your pathetic little pony friends?!"

Rainbow shot Gilda an icy look, building up just enough strength to say, "yes."

"You know Dash, I managed to convince myself that, despite everything, you still cared about me. But I guess... All these years... I was wrong. I can only thank you, because that makes what I'm about to do much easier... and more enjoyable. If you won't take my generous offer... I'll just have to do the honors myself."

Gilda stared fervently into Rainbow's eyes as she reared her right talon high into the air. One slash across the neck and Rainbow would be finished. Only seconds of life left. Rainbow shut her eyes tight, thinking of her friends. Why had she left them behind? Why didn't she just stay with them? Why did she have to be so greedy? Had it really been that important to fly with the Wonderbolts? Maybe she deserved this. Not long now. She could hear the whistle of Gilda's razor-sharp claws cutting through the air...

BAM. The pressure on her chest suddenly diminished to naught, and Rainbow opened her eyes to find that Gilda was gone. Fluttershy was standing just to her right, breathing heavily, and Gilda was upside down, 15 feet away, clutching her ribs. The griffon stood up slowly, glaring at the two ponies.

With some pain in her voice, she asked, "What is this, Dash? Didn't anyone ever teach you how to fight your own battles?"

"Fluttershy! Run!" Dash yelled, trying to get to her feet, "You aren't strong enough to fight her. Just go!"

"I won't leave you!"

"I'll hold her back, Fluttershy, run!"

"Yeah, Fluttercry, you're too much of a wuss to fight me. Let me finish up with Dashie here and I'll take care of you in a minute."

"Don't you dare touch her!" Fluttershy replied sternly, lowering her head to give her distinctive stare.

"Is that supposed to scare me?"

Fluttershy just continued staring, and took a step forward, leaving Gilda looking completely unimpressed.

"Look at you! You're not intimidating! You're pink and yellow! It's going to take a lot more than a little stink eye to get rid of me. You better buzz off while that pretty little head of yours is still attached to your body."

"Bring it."

For a short moment, Gilda was visibly shocked by the provocation, but it wasn't long before her expression shifted back to a strange combination of bitter anger and anticipation. She attempted to pounce on Fluttershy, but the graceful pony managed to dodge just in time. Rainbow was starting to get up, but Gilda, now much closer, took the opportunity to kick Dash in the stomach, causing her to begin coughing violently.

"Stay down, Rainbow Crash! I'm not done with you."

Again, Gilda attempted to jump on Fluttershy, only to meet hard ice at the last moment, her talons and back paws slipping on the smooth surface.

"I can keep this up all day, miss. I'm sure you'll get tired before I do."

"We'll see about that!"

Once more, Gilda leapt into the air with great force and tried to grab Fluttershy. This time, however, Fluttershy's response was different. She leapt straight up, and, pushing herself back down with her wings, drove her forehooves into Gilda's head. The impact made a thunderous crashing sound and sent the griffon sliding and stumbling backwards. Fluttershy seized the moment to tend to her injured friend.

"Are you okay?" she asked, looking Rainbow over.

"My wing hurts, but I think—" Dash coughed dramatically, spattering blood on the frosty surface below her.

"Oh my gosh, we need to get you back to camp right away!"

"I'm fine!" She said defiantly, still struggling to stand up.

Gilda finally recovered from her daze, and began casually walking towards the two pegasi. "Was that supposed to hurt me? Don't you know that we griffons are made of tougher stuff than you namby-pamby ponies?"

Fluttershy betrayed her fear, squealing loudly.

"Leave Fluttershy out of this, Gilda, it's between you and me!"

"Too late. I get to kill both of you now. I deserve it."

Gilda began charging at the ponies, who ended up flying in different directions. Rainbow's numb, injured wing didn't support her weight and she came crashing back down, only to be pinned by Gilda again. The griffon's eyes burned with a twisted passion as she stared down at her victim, but her second attempt to finish off the Element of loyalty was interrupted by a bright sapphire-blue flash. Gilda was thrown back, her chest seared by a bolt of magic, as Rarity rushed in to defend her friends.

"You ruffian! You brute! If you so much as ruffle another feather on either of my friends, I'll make sure you never fly again!"

Gilda spoke through significant pain, "Magic? You ponies just have no sense of honor, do you?"

With her teeth barred, Rarity replied, "You don't even know the meaning of the word."

"So you're all too scared to fight me one on one? You're gonna team up on me?" Gilda spoke less confidently now, retreating; the sum of the damage they had done to her was finally starting to take its toll. "Fine. I'll be back. You'll all get what you deserve!"

Gilda took off, and the thick hazy fog quickly obscured her ascent. Fluttershy and Rarity moved to Dash's side.

"Rarity, she's hurt. We need to be gentle with her. I'll get her arms, you support her legs."

"I can walk, guys, I'm fine."

"It's a long way back, Rainbow Dash."

"I can do it!" She yelled defensively, getting to her feet with great difficulty.

"Everyone needs help from their friends sometimes, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Rainbow fell back onto the ice. She bit her lip and looked around, sighing loudly. "Okay..."

Fluttershy lifted Dash into the air, while Rarity levitated her hind-quarters carefully, supporting her spine. Together, they began the long trip back to the camp.

Rainbow was uncomfortably silent for a long time. Finally, once they made it out of the fog, she spoke. "Thanks for coming to help me, guys."

"Oh, we'd do anything for you, Dashie. That's what friends are for!"

"I had no idea you two were so... well, tough..."

"I didn't even know I could do that magic attack! ...I just feel... different today. Stronger, maybe."

"How did you even find me in this fog?"

"Well, I may not be much of a fighter, but I've always had a knack for locating priceless gems." Rarity replied, smiling softly at Rainbow.

Upon seeing the smile, Rainbow Dash averted her gaze, adding, "I'm so sorry I left... it was just supposed to be a quick weather mission."

"It's okay Dash. We're gonna get you back to camp and the doctors there will fix you right up."

The top of Fort Bezzer appeared just over the horizon as they moved in from the iced-over ocean onto the shore.

"We're almost there!"

"Good. I'm starting to grow weary of supporting Rainbow's rump."

"Um, I suppose we could take a break, I mean, if Rainbow doesn't mind..."

The three ponies settled down just beyond the sand of the beach, where plants could grow. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash took the opportunity to nibble at the sparse grass, though Rarity's high standards precluded her from following in kind.

"You sure, Rarity? This patch is pretty good."

"I'm sure, Rainbow. I'm not so hungry that I can't wait until we get back to have some proper food. And please don't talk with your mouth full."

"Suit yourself, hey, Fluuuuuuu—"

Rainbow stared up into the sky, mouth hanging open.

"Oh, don't be like that, dear, it's simply childish."

Dash only continued looking to the sky without replying. Rarity and Fluttershy turned to see what it was that had caught her attention. Eleven griffons, flying in a V-formation, were headed straight for them.

"Run!"

"No! There's no way we'll outrun them by hoof, and Rarity and I can't fly. We have to stick together and stand our ground!"

"We can't fight that many of them, we're doomed!"

"We've gotta try! Get ready!"

The ponies attempted to take up defensive positions, as Rarity began firing bolts of magic into the sky. The few hits she managed did little to slow their progress; they seemed to be even more resistant to the magical damage than Gilda had been. As the griffons began their descent, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash braced themselves.

Suddenly, a blinding light filled the area. The sound of thunder marked the arrival of a tall unicorn radiating with magic. The unicorn quickly looked around to survey the situation, with a very intense violet glow projecting from her horn, and cast out a huge spherical veil of magic which sent the griffons tumbling off in different directions. The other ponies looked on in awe at their savior.

"Is that..."

"Twilight?"

Twilight looked back at her friends and smiled. "I missed you guys so much!"

"We missed you too... What happened to you?!"

"Uh... Long story short, I've been studying extra hard lately... Do you think it's paying off?"

"You look AWESOME!"

"Thanks! Now what do you say we get out of here?"

The ponies looked around and noticed that some of the griffons had recovered and were moving in on them.

"If you don't mind me saying, that sounds like a fabul— WOAH"

With another thunderous roar, the four felt themselves shift almost instantaneously across a large distance. To the pegasi, who had never experienced teleportation before, it almost felt like being thrown a thousand feet, albeit with a softer landing. Even Rarity, who had experienced teleportation before, was overcome by the intensity of it.

The commotion of their arrival by teleportation attracted the attention of the entire base. Celestia, who appeared to have just recently entered the front gate, stared at Twilight with her mouth agape. Applejack and Pinkie pie ran up excitedly, and a couple of medic ponies approached Rainbow Dash and gently loaded her onto a stretcher. Before being carried away, Rainbow smiled at her friends and mouthed, 'thank you,' silently. Celestia looked over the bloodied and bruised Rainbow as she passed, then to the other five ponies, and then focused on Twilight.

She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. She looked back at Dash, and once again, turned to the others. "What... What happened here?"

Fluttershy responded, "Um... Rainbow got into some trouble out in the field. We got her back in one piece though."

Celestia continued to look on in shock. She slowly approached Twilight, who was very nearly the same height as herself. With a most quizzical expression, she investigated her student.

"And what, if I may ask, happened to you?"

"Uhhhh... It's a long story." Twilight said dismissively, "Maybe I'll tell you when we have more time."

Celestia smirked, looking back at the royal bunker, which Luna was currently emerging from. "I'm sure it's a riveting tale. Now, can anypony tell me why the Element of Loyalty was flying a weather mission, despite my specific instructions to keep her safe until my arrival?"

Shining Armor approached, head hung low. "I have to take the blame for that. I knew she might try to leave, but I didn't check in on her all night."

"Count yourself lucky that she's alive. You know we are depending on the Elements of Harmony to stand any chance—."

Shining turned around, suddenly recognizing his sister, and interrupted the Princess. "Twily?! What in Equestria happened to you?!"

"I guess I just had another growth spurt!" She joked, slightly uncomfortable about her height becoming the primary focus of so many conversations.

Shining made an awkward attempt to hug his sister, the mechanics were a little different now that she was so much bigger. "I'm just so glad you're okay! You have no idea how worried I've been."

"I'm sorry I had everypony so worried. I just had some important things to take care of."

"You shoulda told us where you were goin', Twi, we coulda helped."

"It's someplace I had to go on my own, really. It's not like I didn't want you guys around!"

Celestia moved in closer to Twilight, "If you were planning to engage in such... advanced studies, I should think your teacher ought to be the first to know."

"I'm really sorry," Twilight said, shying away from the princess.

Even though she knew she was more powerful — that she could obliterate Celestia in seconds — somehow Twilight was still intimidated. Perhaps it was just a hangover from her childhood; the leftovers of a lifetime of idolatry and obedience. She stood silently in self-reflection while the princess glared at her for another thirty seconds. The pain of the Element she was carrying flared up under the intense gaze of her mentor.

Celestia's pet. Just Celestia's pet. Be a good girl. A good girl like she wants you to be...