• Published 30th Jun 2020
  • 480 Views, 9 Comments

Linkin Pony - Recharge: Revamped - Kaciekk



A post apocalyptic Equestria, several centuries in the future. CharmingRhythm leads his team in setting up a new camp for the Resistance, which fights against the cyborg Hybrids.

  • ...
3
 9
 480

Chapter 32

Under the shade of the tent, EchoBeat slowly moved alongside the row of plants that he tended to. He was much more comfortable in the larger tent, with enough space to move around. His plants had been growing well over the past few weeks.The row next to his was CherryBomb’s, which was bursting with life. The last one was Terra’s, which was somewhat lacking. Echo hadn’t even seen the brown mare enter the tent that day. He exited the tent in search of her.

“Hey, Echo!” CharmingRhythm waved his hoof up high and wore a beaming face. As Echo cantered towards him, he said, “I’ve got something for you to do. I want you to go around to individual ponies and check up on their work progress.”

“Isn’t that something you would do?” Echo questioned.

“Well, yes, but I want to give you some responsibilities. I trust your judgement, and you need to talk to more ponies in camp,” Rhythm finished.

“Alright.” Echo shrugged.

Patrolling around the camp, he searched for ponies to speak to. He already knew CherryBomb’s progress was good, so there was no need to speak with her. He kept his eye out for Terra, but couldn’t find her. Instead, he found SunSwirl in the kitchen of a house. She had set up her own potion station there.

“Hey,” Echo spoke up and the yellow mare turned around. “How’s the potion making going?”

“Good, but… I’m lacking some herbs that I need. We might need to get them from the city if we can’t grow them here,” SunSwirl stated. “I’ve been fixing up this house too. I think I might make it my own, if that’s alright with you.”

“Of course. If you fix it, it’s all yours. Also… I know we talked about it, but I would really appreciate it if you could give me some potion making lessons. You’re really good at it.”

“Of course! Anytime you like, hun!” SunSwirl smiled.

The next ponies Echo found were Aggie and Forest, who were chatting together. He asked if they were doing anything, which they replied with ‘no’. They were assigned to protection, and there was no threat in the camp at the moment. Echo knew a Pegasus and a Unicorn could both be useful, so he requested that they move furniture.

BlizzardBlast gazed wide eyed at Echo as he stepped up to them. Echo knew that they were still adjusting to new life in the camp, especially after being freed from a citadel. Echo didn’t want to pressure them into working just yet.

“If you do feel up to anything,” He told them, “Just ask any of us. We’ll give you something to do.”

“Okay, thank you.” Blizzard nodded appreciatively.

Finally, Echo found Terra. She was watching Feather repair a generator.

“Um, Terra,” Echo began. “Why haven’t you been working in the garden? You haven’t been making too much progress.” Echo hoped he

“I’m sorry,” Terra slumped down, her purple and orange mane in her eyes. “It’s just that… Cherry’s plants have been doing so well that.. I don’t feel like I can do anywhere as well as her.”

She’s intimidated? Echo mused. “But any work at all is appreciated. It doesn’t matter how big or small, as long as you actually put effort into it. We want your help, trust me,” Echo promised.

“Alright,” Terra sighed.

Echo was unsure of the status of Iridescent and Blackout. They were rogues afterall, but they were living in the camp now. Nobody knew how long they would stay, but to Echo, it seemed like they were here to stay. He didn’t bother asking Blackout for anything, so instead he went to Iridescent.

“Maybe I could help in the gardens,” Iridescent suggested. “I know I’m not an Earth Pony, but I have light magic that can mimic artificial sunlight.”

“Actually, that might be useful,” Echo considered.

Next, Echo saw Carpenter replacing glass in a window. There was no need to get a report from him, he was doing fine work.

Once he had made it around to everyone, Echo searched for Rhythm to report to. The blue Unicorn was seen standing by their cab, a brush in his magic. The cab glistened a pearly white, much cleaner than Echo had remembered.

“I got around to everyone, what do I do now?” Echo asked.

“Oh.” Rhythm turned his head to him. “Write down their progress. No need telling me everything. Unless there’s someone slacking off.”

“Aggie and Forest are sort of wandering around. They don’t have much to do, so I told them to help move furniture,” Echo reported.

“Sounds good.” Rhythm nodded and glanced back at the cab.

“What are you doing?” Echo wondered.

“I repainted it!” Rhythm answered with please. “I’m just doing the finishing touches.” With his magic he pointed the brush towards the side door. A red “X” was brandished there. “If it’s ours, we better own it.”

“It looks good,” Echo commented.

“Spinning finally fixed the radio too. Although it still needs a knob replaced. Can you go ask him if he could get one?” Rhythm fully faced Echo to ask him.

“Okay,” Echo said and trotted towards the base.

Echo pushed the door open and sure enough SpinningNote was sitting inside. Stepping in, Echo’s ears perked up due to a strange beeping sound coming from the computer. With a hoof over his mouth, Spinning intently watched the screen. The beeps weren’t rapid like an alarm, instead they were drawn out in a flat tone.

“What is that?” Echo questioned.

“It’s a distress beacon,” Spinning answered, sounding concerned.

Echo took a place behind his chair. On the screen was a map with a glowing red dot by the ocean. “You were able to locate it?”

“Yep. Somebody’s in trouble, and we may be the closest ponies to them,” Spinning clarified.

“Should I tell Rhythm?”

“Definitely,” Spinning said.

Rhythm and the rest of the team gathered in the main room and observed the screen. Spinning told him what he had told Echo, that they may be the only ones who could help.

“Well, what are we doing waiting around? We gotta go find these ponies,” Rhythm decided.

“Full team?” Blazing asked.

Rhythm pondered for a moment. “No. You and Spinning stay here and watch the camp while the rest of us go out.”

“You go it,” Blazing replied with a curt nod.

Rhythm, Echo, Feather and Hyper exited the base and made their way towards the newly repainted cab. Echo dragged behind a bit, confused. He still needed to write down camp progress, and wondered why he was even needed on this type of mission. He rushed up to Rhythm’s side.

“Why are you leaving behind Spinning and Blazing? They’re some of our best fighters,” Echo expressed.

“Yeah. It’s strange you chose me and Echo. No offense,” Feather added to Echo, who didn’t think much of it.

“You two underestimate your potential,” Rhythm told them. “I know you’re good fighters. You’re smart and resourceful too.”

“If you say so,” Feather said, still unconvinced.

“Here.” Hyper handing something over to Feather. It was some sort of electronic pad. “Spinning says you’ll be able to track the beacon on this.”

“Me? Why don’t you take it? You’re faster than me,” Feather spoke to Hyper.

“You have a better sense of direction than me,” Hyper admitted. “You’re our scouter anyway.”

“And because Spinning will yell at you if you break the tracker pad?” Feather raised a brow with a smirk.

“Yeah, that too,” Hyper giggled.


The four stallions traveled their way up northwest towards the ocean. FeatherTune led the way, HyperBlitz kept an eye out for any suspicious activity. They passed where the Hybrid outpost had been. After several minutes of trekking, Hyper suddenly flew northern bound. Echo tried calling out to him but the yellow Pegasus was already speeding towards the horizon.

“Where’s he going?” Rhythm asked from the right.

“I don’t know,” Echo said, his gaze still on the sky.

They continued to follow Feather as they waited for Hyper to return. After a few moments, he raced back towards the group. He flew level with the cab adjacent to EchoBeat.

“There’s a Hybrid camp over that way. It looks fucking huge,” Hyper reported.

“Wonderful,” Rhythm muttered.

“It’s in a dried lake bed. Hopefully they don’t give us too much trouble,” Hyper tried to sound positive.

“Knowing Hybrids, they’ll find their way to mess with us,” Echo stated.

A bit more time passed before the dark ocean came into view. A few scraggly palm trees lined the coast above the cliffs. Echo and Rhythm began trekking on hoof after parking the cab. Feather and Hyper circled around the area.

“It’s somewhere around here,” Feather called out. “I can’t get a more accurate location. We’ll have to search.”

Stepping up towards the cliffs, Echo peered out below. There was a sandy beach that stretched out many meters before the foam of the ocean began. Echo carefully ambled towards a steep slope and analyzed where he could place his hooves. Slowly, he climbed down the slope backwards, eyeing his back hooves. Ponies had stronger back legs than forelegs, and their strength would keep Echo’s balance. After sliding down a bit he scrambled onto the sand, adjusting his footing. He gazed upward, Rhythm watching over him like a hawk. The cliff had been much taller than Echo originally perceived.

“Um, I’m not sure I can make it down there,” Rhythm grimaced. “I don’t have the same balance as you.” - Earth Ponies naturally had better balance. “I’ll look around for a more gradual slope.”

As Rhythm began walking to the south, Echo made his way up north on the shore. There were many sharp crags pointing upward, along with round boulders. In the cliffs were many sea caves, carved out by ancient water centuries ago. Maybe they’re hiding in a cave, Echo wondered. But why would they be out here to begin with?

Hyper swooped down towards the shore. “I found a dead Hybrid up that way,” He exclaimed and pointed his red hoof over the cliffs somewhere. “Only one though.”

Echo thought he heard Rhythm say “weird” somewhere down the coastline.

Pressing forward, Echo searched in and out of the caves but found nothing. The sand began rising upward. Echo climbed the gentle hill and saw even more caves. Short shrubs grew in meger patches in the sand, and ended at the stone floor of the caves. A glimpse of something grey moved within the cave. Echo stopped.

“Is someone there?” He called out.

The greyish white shape moved out of the darkness. It was a little filly with a red and pink mane. She cautiously stepped towards EchoBeat, who raced over to meet her. Her ivory coat was stained with mud, and her mane was in a frizzy mess. She backed up a bit as Echo approached her.

“What’s your name?” Echo asked softly.

The filly did not answer, instead, she took more steps back towards the cave. Another figure appeared into the dull light. A red Earth Pony mare, who looked just as frazzled as the filly. Her eyes were filled with apprehension. Hyper too saw the new ponies and shouted out to Feather and Rhythm. The two Pegasi fluttered down to the sand while Rhythm galloped back north on the clifftops.

“S-someone actually came…” The mare’s voice cracked.

“What are you doing here?” Echo asked her.

“I… we were hiding from Hybrids. I-” The mare spoke frantically. “I set up a beacon on my radio… y-you got it?”

“Yep,” FeatherTune confirmed. “There’s no Hybrids around, you don’t have to hide.”

“Hybrids…” The red mare muttered. “My husband was taken by the Hybrids.” Tears began forming in her eyes.

“I’m so sorry,” Hyper said, walking forward. The filly’s gaze followed him from behind the mare’s legs. “I don’t know if we can save your husband, but we can save you. Come back to our camp with us, you’ll be safe.”

EchoBeat led the mare towards the slope he had climbed down. He found ascending was much easier than crawling down the rocks. Shakily, the mare scaled the cliffside. Hyper had carried the young filly in his forelegs as he flew up to the flat clifftop. The team escorted the two Earth Ponies to their cab.

Echo took one last glance at the ocean. It’s dark water slowly churned and foamed at the shore. With endless grey clouds floating over it, the ocean was a gloomy location. If it hadn’t been for the shrubs and palm trees, the whole area who reek of lifelessness.

In the cab, Echo watched the two ponies in the back from his front seat. The filly clung to the red mare’s side. Echo noted that the mare didn’t have a EPD and wondered if she was with the Resistance or not.

“What’s your names?” He asked politely.

“I… I’m RoseTwist,” the red mare spoke up. She peered down to the filly. “This is my daughter LilyMist.”

“I’m EchoBeat, and this is Rhythm,” Echo used his muzzle to point to his friend beside him. “You’ll be safe with us. We’ll take you back to our camp, and then figure out where to go from there.”

Echo now understood why Rhythm had chosen him to go. He had always been the one to welcome and comfort the ponies they saved on their missions. While he was never assigned that position, he naturally fell into it over the years. Although he’d never be fond of fighting, Echo was glad he was able to support his team in other ways.