• Published 30th Jun 2020
  • 477 Views, 9 Comments

Linkin Pony - Recharge: Revamped - Kaciekk



A post apocalyptic Equestria, several centuries in the future. CharmingRhythm leads his team in setting up a new camp for the Resistance, which fights against the cyborg Hybrids.

  • ...
3
 9
 477

Chapter 27

Work in the camp continued for the next couple of days without interruptions. Team Xero had decided to wait a few days before addressing the Hybrid outpost and sending FeatherTune to interview ponies. CharmingRhythm wanted to be in camp when any new recruits arrived.

HyperBlitz was helping Jet move some furniture. Hovering, he carried a small table towards a doorway. He carefully let it go just above the ground. He let his four hooves sit on the ground too, and overlooked their work. As Jet moved the table inside, HyperBlitz noticed ThunderCharm trotting towards him with bright eyes.

“HyperBlitz! Blazing was telling me about your music! I knew your team name was Xero, but I didn’t know it was that Xero! You know.. With an X…. You have music on the radio!”

“Yeah, you know it?” Hyper replied with a smirk, amused.

“Yeah! Blazing says you do most of the vocals?” Thunder wondered.

“I do.” Hyper dipped his head.

“You have an amazing voice!” She returned genuinely.

That complement warmed Hyper. “Well, thank you… You sure you know which one’s are our songs?” He raised a brow.

“Yeah! You did In The End, and Numb, and One Step Closer,” Thunder listed a few.

“How do you remember all the names….” Hyper asked, floored.

“It’s not that hard…” Thunder stated bashfully. “I would record the songs from the radio on a tape player for myself. But.. I lost it.” She gazed at the ground.

“We can get you copies of our songs, even songs we haven’t published to the radio,” Hyper offered.

“Seriously?! That would be awesome!” She beamed with excitement.

“I’m glad we could make someone happy with our music. That really means a lot,” Hyper spoke with honesty.

“Music means a lot to me. It helps me through tough times,” Thunder said in a soft tone.

“I understand. Me too,” Hyper agreed, nodding. “You play anything?”

“What? N-no. I can’t play or sing. I’m no good at music. I just enjoy it.” Thunder replied.

“Ah. Just wondering,” Hyper said, beginning to trail off.

“Oh, yeah,” Thunder spoke up. “I was wondering if there’s any way I could help around the camp. I’ve been here for over a week now, and I feel like I’m useless just standing around. We still owe you for saving us!”

“Oh- no. You don’t owe us anything, really,” Hyper assured. “It’s just our job. But if you really do want to help, it would be appreciated. Anything you have in mind particularly?”

“Maybe painting? If you have anything to paint,” Thunder mused.

“I’m sure we do. Why don’t you go ask CharmingRhythm. He probably knows what needs done best.” Hyper glanced over his shoulder, wondering where his Unicorn friend was.

“Alright. Thank you!” ThunderCharm began cantering off, and then slowed to a half. She turned back and asked, “Will you really get me copies of your music?”

“Yeah, of course. I promise,” Hyper responded with a grin.

Thunder returned him a soft smile and a nod. The young mare dashed off in search of Rhythm. Hyper watched her go, feeling astonished. He had a fan! He wondered how many other ponies were interested in his music like this young mare.


While inside one of the houses, CharmingRhythm was setting up a collection of furniture. They had refurbished an old wooden table and its chairs that were still in good condition. It made a nice dining room, Rhythm thought. Viewing a portion of a house finished was satisfying.

As Rhythm left the house, he bumped into ThunderCharm. He took a few steps back to create space as the young mare recomposed herself.

“Hyper says you guys could use some help painting. If I could be useful in any way, I’d like to help.” Thunder gave him an eager smile.aa

“Um, yeah,” Rhythm said as he looked back through the doorway. “I think there’s some walls in here that could use some painting. Hold up. Let me go find some paint and brushes.”

He dashed over to one of the sheds they kept supplies in. Rhythm never considered Thunder or her friends aiding in the camp restoration. But if they were willing to, they would make a welcomed part of the crew. Good luck getting Blackout to help, Rhythm thought with amusement as he picked out some brushes.

Rhythm gave Thunder a broad brush as he levitated a can of paint inside. He showed Thunder the bedroom that could use a new coat of paint.

Exiting the building once again, Rhythm scanned down the street. Feather was speaking with Ash, but they were too far for Rhythm to hear. Feather tilted his head upward, peering over a roof. Rhythm copied his movement and looked in the same direction.

Two figures flew above the base building. They’re back? Rhythm wondered. They continued to circle, and began to descend. A few seconds later, a green Pegasus swooped over Rhythm’s head, leaving a trail of wind. Not expecting them to fly so close, his heart lurched. Both the green Pegasus and another, a gold Pegasus, landed at the southern border of the village.

Rhythm raced towards them, with Feather and Ash following suit. The two outsiders met up with Rhythm as he stepped out in the open.

“I think one of your ponies followed us the other day,” the green Pegasus spoke up.

“Yeah, they only showed up right after we came around here,” the gold one added. She flipped her black mane out of her eyes.

“And why exactly are you flying above our camp?” Rhythm pressed assertively.

“Camp? Pftt, you call this a camp?” The gold Pegasus scoffed.

Rhythm didn’t let that comment bother him. He knew his camp was in the works, it didn’t matter what outsiders thought of it. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Well, we were looking for some ponies. But then we saw that we might have some new neighbors,” The green one explain, raising a brow. They scrutinized Rhythm thoroughly, the gold Pegasus doing the same.

“You aren’t welcome near our camp any time. Resistance,” the mare spat and shot a glance at Rhythm’s leg.

“And who says you are welcome here?” Rhythm countered.

“Hey, Rhythm-” Thunder’s voice sounded from behind his tail.

He halfway spun around to glance at the lavender Pegasus. Gazing past Rhythm, Thunder’s eyes widened with fear. With a quick jolt, Thunder turned tail and darted down the street. She hid in an alley a few houses down. For a moment, Rhythm was bewildered by her actions, but as he turned his vision forward again, he began to understand. The rogues were looking at him furiously.

“You’re hiding them here!” The green Pegasus bared their teeth.

“We’re not keeping anyone here. They’re here on their own terms,” Rhythm replied.

“What’s going on?” HyperBlitz called out, racing to the scene on hoof.

The gold Pegasus eyed Hyper. “You’re the pony who flew to our camp, aren’t you? They reported a pony with a fake wing.”

Hyper stiffened. He did not like the term fake wing. “What are you doing here?” He snapped.

“Seems like you're keeping some ponies held here,” the Pegasus mare shot back. She stood hoof to hoof with Hyper, her pink eyes glowering into his face.

“Sounds like bullshit to me,” Hyper sneered.

“Watch your mouth, or you’re gonna lose your other wing.”

“Wasp!” The green Pegasus commanded. “We can’t risk a fight.”

Wasp stepped back and snorted.

“Nobody is keeping us here,” the voice of Iridescent spoke up.

She cantered over to the gathering of ponies. Blackout was right behind her, his face holding conflicting emotions.

“They saved us from Hybrids,” Iridescent continued. “We’ve stayed here to recuperate. They’ve welcomed us in their camp.” She spoke firmly.

“You seriously let Hybrids get you?” the unnamed Pegasus mocked. “And then you get rescued by the Resistance? Have you gone soft?”

“You wish!” Blackout spat. “Why don’t you mind your fucking business?”

“You wouldn’t have got caught if you didn’t leave the camp!” Wasp said.

“We left because you were keeping our friend prisoner!” Iridescent retorted.

“You should have known she wouldn’t be welcome. And you can keep her here.” Wasp looked past the row of ponies. Behind a wall, ThunderCharm’s head peered out, watching in fear.

“Come on,” Wasp flicked her head back. “Let’s get back to our camp. Leave these Resistance fuckers.”

“No,” Iridescent responded strictly.

“What?” the Pegasus next to Wasp let out.

“What do you mean ‘no’?” Wasp cocked her head. “You’re just going to leave your gang behind?”

“I’m not going to go back where they keep innocent ponies hostage,” Iridescent claimed. “I’m starting to see now. You’re all wrong. Selfish.”

“And what about your dad huh? You’re just going to leave him too?” Wasp shot back.

“If dad actually cared about us he’d be out looking for us too!” Blackout spoke up. “Has he?”

“Well, no,” the green Pegasus mumbled. “He hasn’t even said much since you two have been gone.”

“My point exactly,” Blackout said. “He doesn’t care about us. Hasn’t since mom died. I’ve been blind to not realize that.” Blackout shook his black and red mane.

“C’mon, Blackout, you’re not leaving your gang behind too are you?” Wasp tempted.

Blackout glanced between them and his sister. He was conflicted. It was easy to see that he wished he could go back, that he could leave the Resistance behind. But there was fondness for Iridescent behind that mask of toughness.

“If Iridescent isn’t going back, neither am I,” He asserted.

“You’re fucking kidding me,” Wasp blurted out.

“You heard me,” Blackout muttered.

“Fine, we don’t need you anyway,” the green Pegasus said as they extended their wings.

After they took flight, Wasp gave Rhythm a stare of pure hatred. “Don’t think we’re done with you.” She bounded into the air and followed her ally.

For a moment, the ponies stood there, stunned. They watched the two Pegasi disappear into the sky. Rhythm couldn’t imagine what Wasp had meant.

“So, we’re staying?” ThunderCharm pondered quietly.

“I guess so,” Blackout huffed. “But don’t expect us to become your recruits,” He directed at Rhythm. The dark grey Pegasus shifted away into an alley, his head down.

Iridescent slanted her gaze downward. “I’m sure that was really hard for Blackout to decide. I never thought I’d just leave my gang…”

“I’m sure it’s tough for both of you. It’s a big change,” Hyper began. “I was in your position once. I had to leave my gang behind too. But I’m glad I did, because I found friends in the Resistance. That’s more than my gang ever offered me.”

“I don’t know if we’ll stay with the Resistance though. I’m sure Blackout wouldn’t like it,” Iridescent replied, looking distant.

“You don’t have to stay with us. But I want you to choose for yourself. Just like how you decided to leave your gang, without Blackout’s opinion. I admire how you stood up for yourself,” Hyper told her. He never expected such bravery and confidence from the soft spoken Unicorn.

“Thank you, I- I guess I surprised myself too.” There were obviously other things on Iridescent mind. “I should go make sure Blackout is okay.”

As she turned and her rainbow tail waved by, Hyper was left to stare at ThunderCharm.

“I’m happy we can stay,” Thunder told him. “I don’t want to go anywhere near those ponies. And I promise I’ll do whatever I can to help around the camp.”

After ThunderCharm had left the area, Hyper still stood in his place. His mind was still comprehending what happened. CharmingRhythm stepped up to his Pegasus friend and patted his back.

“I don’t think they would have stayed without you,” Rhythm said reassuringly.

“You think?” Hyper perked up.

“Yeah. You’ve been able to bond with all three of those ponies somehow. I think your kindness won them over,” Rhythm remarked.

“I hope so.”

Hyper felt good to know that he could impact lives in a meaningful way. He hoped that he could help others who came into this camp in the future.