• Published 28th Jun 2020
  • 1,639 Views, 62 Comments

Apple Bloom’s Secret - YourUncleFuncle



Apple Bloom shouldn’t be feeling the way she does, but she does, and she doesn’t know how her family or friends will take it

  • ...
7
 62
 1,639

Hard to Say Anything

Dear Diary,

I have never been more confused, embarrassed, or creeped out as I am right now. I could barely pay attention in class because I was thinking about the dream I had last night. On top of that, now Scootaloo thinks that something’s the matter with me. Actually I think everypony thinks something’s the matter with me. Cheerilee, Big Mac, Applejack, and worst of all Sweetie Belle. I got distracted so much and it made my two friends think I was sick. I definitely didn’t feel sick until her hoof touched my forehead, and then I don’t know what happened. Everything got real fuzzy. I know that it doesn’t make much sense. All I know is that if one little touch like that makes me react like that, I don’t know what’s going on with me. Do I like her that much? Is it the knowledge that what I’m doing is wrong? I don’t know. I really don’t know about a lot of stuff right now, and it’s not getting any easier. It’s only a matter of time before everypony finds the truth, and I think now only time will tell what happens next.

Apple Bloom sighed as she put down the pen on her bed next to her. “Why can’t Ah ever end one of these entries on a positive note?” she asked herself quietly. She turned to the window to see that the sun was still shining bright as ever outside, with the golden hue of its light radiating off of the apple trees outside of the farmhouse. She sat up in her bed and took in the view, It was a beautiful sight indeed, one that she had cherished throughout her life on the farm.

It almost made her want to get a cutie mark in painting just so she could put the glorious sight on a canvas. Or maybe a photography one, where she could go all over Equestria, taking in the most breathtaking views imaginable, none of which could beat that one in her eyes, of course.

She fell back on her bed and let out a sigh, a sudden calm rushing over her, as the view seemed to take all of her troubles away for just that short amount of time. It was like the blanket, a simple pleasure that could erase any insecurity that a pony might have. It was just using a different sense, sight instead of touch, but it was as powerful enough to captivate the rest of her senses. Beyond that it was hard to explain why she found these different things so enduring, but philosophy wasn’t a cutie mark she was aiming for.

All of that thinking had made the filly really tired, and she began to drift back to sleep until the sound of hoofsteps coming up the wooden stairs. She sat up straight and eyed the open yellow book still lying next to her opened. She quickly hid it under her pillow along with the pencil, laid down under her blanket, and turned away from the door, listening to the approaching hooves.

As she listened closer, however, she realized that it wasn’t just one set of them, and it seemed like there was a size difference between all of them.

She then heard the door open and saw the light beam of the side of her wall from the hallway. Then she heard a whispering voice speak up.

“Apple Bloom? You awake, sugarcube?”

It was Applejack again. She probably should’ve known because Granny Smith barely comes upstairs anymore and Big Mac was still working for a little longer.

She turned toward her sister only to freeze when she saw the two fillies standing next to her.

“Hey Apple Bloom! Are you feeling better?” Scootaloo asked. Sweetie Belle was at the pegasus’ side with a sympathetic look on her face. One that mirrored the one Applejack had on.

“Ah hope you don’t mind me bringing your little Crusader friends up to your room unannounced like this,” Applejack started,”but they were so excited that Ah thought they might bowl me over if they tried!”

“It’s true!”

Everypony shared a laugh at Scootaloo's comment, and Sweetie Belle held up a yellow folder with her magic. “Miss Cheerilee asked me to give you your homework,” Sweetie Belle said, “it’s supposed to be really easy, so you don’t have to worry about missing the second half of the day!”

Apple Bloom smiled as she took the folder in her hooves and placed it on top of her side table. “Thanks Sweetie Belle! I’ll work on it later.”

“Well, Ah’ll leave you girls be,” Applejack said, “don’t stay too long girls.”

“We won’t, Applejack,” Scootaloo said as Applejack turned around and went out into the hallway, shutting the door behind her. Now that they were alone, the two crusaders jumped on the bed next to Apple Bloom, still under her covers.

“Alright, Crusaders,” Scootaloo said determined, “so since we can’t really do anything today, I was thinking that tomorrow we could-”

“Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle interrupted with a disapproving scowl, “How can you possibly be thinking about that when Apple Bloom is sick!”

Scootaloo turned to the filly that was still wrapped up in covers before sheepishly giggling. “Oh, right. Sorry Apple Bloom.”

“It’s alright, Scootaloo,” Apple Bloom exclaimed, “Ah don’t mind, really. Ah want to find out what we’re doing tomorrow.”

Scootaloo nodded and then turned so that she would be facing the other two crusaders. “Alright, so I thought we could try to knock the baseball cutie mark out of the park. The Fillies are playing tomorrow and we could definitely try to watch them and play the way they do.”

Sweetie Belle put a hoof to her chin in thought. “Well, I’m not really a big fan, but I always thought I’d look good in red!”

“You’d look good in any color,” Apple Bloom thought and listened in to the conversation. Every once and awhile she would throw out a “Yeah,” or a “Good idea,” but she left the ideas and debates to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, who were mostly going back and forth about the baseball idea, but would occasionally chime in with something else. Toward the end it was just throwing out ideas, as they figured out that none of them had gloves and only Apple Bloom had a bat.

“We could always try to be lawyers,” Scootaloo said.

“But I’m not good at arguing,” Sweetie Belle replied, “How about sculpture?”

“Are you kidding? I don’t know how to do art.”

“Well there’s no time like the present to learn. What do you girls think?”

“Ah think that’s a great idea,” Apple Bloom chimed in, “we could always ask Twilight to help us find a good book on it.”

“I’m still not sure. I’m not even sure Rarity would want me doing something so barbaric,” Sweetie Belle said, mimicking her older sister.

“Just remind your sister how good it would look at the end,” Scootaloo said.

Apple Bloom imagined her statue as ending up being very beautiful, something like what would be in the art museums one day, and that made her very excited.

“Ah say we do it!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle jumped at the sudden energy and enthusiasm being displayed by their sick friend. Apple Bloom looked back at them with an embarrassed smile. “What? Ah think it’s a darn good idea!”

“Come on, Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo pleaded, pointing a hoof at Apple Bloom, “You don’t want to disappoint this poor filly, now do you?”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes at Scootaloo’s smirk and sighed. “Fine.”

Scootaloo smiled and jumped off the bed. “Alright, then it’s settled. We’ll meet after school and get started at our clubhouse.”

“Are you leaving already?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Yeah, I should probably get going. See you gals tomorrow! Feel better soon Apple Bloom.”

And with that Scootaloo ran out the bedroom door and descended the stairs, leaving Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle in the bedroom alone. Apple Bloom blushed at the thought, and looked to her crush who appeared to be eying something behind her.

“What’s wrong?” Apple Bloom asked.

“What’s that?” Sweetie Belle replied, pointing a hoof behind the earth pony. Apple Bloom turned and looked to see a yellow corner of her diary peaking its way outside of the pillow.

Apple Bloom quickly slid it back under her pillow and turned back to Sweetie Belle, trying not to seem too suspicious.
“Nothing.”

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow and tried to peer past the edge of the pillow. Then she looked up at her friend again with questioning eyes. “Is it something important?” Before Apple Bloom could respond, Sweetie Belle gasped and she could see the unicorn’s face lighting up and her hooves go to her cheeks in excitement. If Apple Bloom’s face hadn’t already turned red at the extremely cute sight, then the next comment her friend made certainly did.

“Is that your diary! Oh my gosh, my sister has one of those!”

“What? No! Ah don’t have a diary, Sweetie Belle. That’s just, uh, a book Ah’m reading! Yeah…”

Sweetie Belle’s look of excitement was replaced by a look of disbelief. “Really? Then let’s see it.”

Apple Bloom, meanwhile, was hearing alarm bells going off inside her head, trying to think of a decent response, but all she could muster up was, “No.”

Sweetie Belle’s expression switched back and she squealed, “It is a diary! What do you write about in there?”

Deciding that she was defeated, Apple Bloom decided to go along with it and hope that she wouldn’t ask too much about it.

“Nothing much.”

Sweetie Belle started giggling and throwing out guesses.

“Do you write about your hopes? Your deepest, darkest fears? Is it about your family, or friends? Do you secretly watch Family Guy, because that sure seems embarrassing. Does it have anything to do with not getting your cutie mark? Do you like somepony?”

Sweetie Belle fell over in a fit of giggles as she tried to think of what could be in the diary. When she got up and wiped a tear out of her eyes she turned to Apple Bloom and noticed the stunned expression.on her face. It was almost as if she was looking off into space.

After waving her hoof in front of the frozen filly in front of her and getting no reaction, she realized that she had hit the bullseye. she jumped up and down on the bed, saying, “You like somepony! You really really like somepony! Who is it? Do I know him? Is he one of our classmates? Does Scootaloo know? Does anypony know? Do…” Sweetie Belle stopped as she finally noticed her friend, who had buried herself into her covers and was visibly shaking. “Apple Bloom?”

All she got in response was a few sniffs and a whimpering noise which threw Sweetie Belle off. Although Scootaloo disputes the fact, Apple Bloom has always been the bravest pony in the group. She was the one who was willing to stand up to Diamond Tiara, take on whatever challenge she wanted to get her cutie mark, and even helped everypony to get over their fear of Zecora. Seeing her hiding under her covers like this was very strange for Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle moved slowly over so that she was right next to the shivering little ball on the bed and gave her a comforting nudge with her hoof. Apple Bloom seemed to calm down a little bit, enough to peak through them and look at Sweetie Belle for a second before darting her eyes down to look at the white mattress cover below her.

“Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle whispered, “If this is about your crush, you don’t have to be afraid. Lots of fillies have them, and I bet the colt you like is-”

She was interrupted by a mumble from her friend. “What?” she asked, fully ready to listen to what the scared filly was trying to say.

Apple Bloom was close to tears at this point, and it looked like she was trying to shrink further and further away. “Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle said with a reassuring smile, “you can tell me anything.” Then the pony next to her whispered in the softest voice imaginable.

“You wouldn’t want to be my friend anymore if Ah told you.”

Author's Note:

I took a weird approach with this one. What did you think of the overly descriptive thing about the view? I kinda thought it was dramatic but a good add for the story. Also I don’t have anything against people who like Family Guy, I personally don’t like it. Thanks for reading!