• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 407 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 407

7) Team Norman

After Jack walked away of course the first person to rush to my aid was Olivia.

I rolled my eyes, “I seriously don’t need this right now!”

“You’re bleeding badly from your neck!” Olivia said. “That jerk!”

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

“Jack is my trainer,” I said, “he can do whatever he needs to do to teach me what I need to know. And trust me, I know what a jerk looks like and it’s not him.”

“You really should get that wound checked out," Olivia said.

“Like I don’t know that already!” I said. “Thank you captain obvious!”

“Hey,” said Jasper, “watch what you say to Olivia!”

“Then you take care of your girlfriend!” I said.

“Why you little-“ Jasper said.

Olivia then punched Jasper and he fell to the ground.

“Why’d you hit me?” Jasper said. “He’s the one that said it!”

I groaned, “Would you two shut up!”

Before I wanted to kill the both of them I just turned around and walked away.

* * *

In the next couple of months, Olivia, Jasper and I kept getting assigned to missions back to back. Thankfully Discord and Fluttershy watched Cozy Glow for me. This also gave Sunset more time to train her. When we got back from completing our sixth mission John called us into the office.

I wonder what we did this time? I thought. At least Olivia is getting better at fighting by my side. Jasper however, still likes to run and hide. Not to mention he keeps challenging me to sparring matches and that’s really getting on my nerves!

“Well team Norman,” said John, “you’ve had another successful mission! So far so good and couple of those missions were assassination assignments.”

“Team Norman!” Jasper said. “Why can’t it be called team Jasper?”

“Because, Norman’s the team leader and you’re too arrogant for the job!” John said. “I hear you’re still being a coward when the fighting starts. You might as well be dead weight!”

“I’m not dead weight!” Jasper said.

“Shut it Jasper!” John said. “You really need to learn how to talk to your superior!”

At this point, I could tell John was really getting a headache and I don’t blame him. Jasper gives me a headache on a regular basis.

“Remind me why I don’t have you sacked from the Military already?” John said. “Keep this up and I just might recommend that!”

“But sir-“ Jasper said.

“Shut up Jasper!” John said.

By this time Olivia was trying so hard not to laugh.

“Anyway,” said John, “Norman has his duel with Shadow Mist in a month. Olivia and Jasper I want you to stay out of his way for that one. Norman is team leader and Olivia is second in command if something happens to him. We’re getting off track here, this next mission is a live capture mission. I really need this guy alive! Got it?”

“Yes sir!” said the three of us in unison.

“Now,” said John, “the guy you’re going after is named William, nicknamed Iron Fist.”

Gee, I thought, I wonder how bad his ego is?

“He’s not going to be easy to get too,” said John, “he’ll be surrounded by a group of 30 thugs or more. Take down the thugs and then you can call it checkmate! That’s all I can tell you, so go ahead and move out!”

The three of us nodded Jasper and Olivia walked away but John motioned for me to stay behind.

“That wound on your neck keeps getting reopened,” said John, “are you sure Jack hasn’t been pushing you too hard?”

“I’m fine,” I said, “Jack’s just doing what he needs to do to train me that’s all.”

“You’re not making excuses for him,” said John, “are you?”

“No,” I said, “and I wish people would stay out of it!”

“Okay, okay,” said John, “you may go now.”

“Yes sir…” I said.

* * *

When we made it to William’s headquarters, we saw that it was a warehouse. From the looks of it, I thought it was a typical hideout for a high level criminal. There were some thugs standing guard out front. Olivia and I were able to take them down by strangling them until they were too weak to resist being knocked out. As usual, Jasper just stood there watching us.

Okay, I thought, this is getting old. One day I’m going to kill Jasper in one of our sparring matches!

We then got past the guards only to be confronted by a laser system. In true Jasper fashion, he didn’t even help us get through it.

“You know,” I said, “you can jump in anytime to help us out Jasper!”

“Nah,” said Jasper, “I’m good.”

“That’s why I still call you a coward!” I said.

“I’m still going to make you eat that word!” Jasper said.

“Would you two knock it off!” Olivia said. “We’re going to be discovered!”

I turned around to see the thugs already knew we were there.

“Uh Olivia,” I said, “so much for being quiet!”

Olivia rolled her eyes, “Good job Jasper!”

“Me?” Jasper said. “What did I do?”

“Will you two shut up!” I said. “Now I know why John fires his gun in the air every time we don’t get along!”

“So what do we do?” Olivia said.

I sighed, “Remember what John said? We take out the thugs and it will be easy in getting to William, so, what do you think we should do? Jasper! Fight with us this time instead of hiding!”

“Uh Norman,” Jasper said, “we’re actually sitting ducks here! Maybe we should hide this time?”

“Okay,” I said, “just enough hiding to give us cover so we can take out the enemy. Got it?”

“Right!” Jasper and Olivia said.

I doubt Jasper will do any fighting though, I thought, he’s the definition of the word coward!

As soon as we took cover we were under enemy fire. Jasper did just as I thought, nothing but hiding. Olivia and I did our best to take out most of the thugs but there were more of them than we thought. I then had an idea of what might motivate Jasper to fight.

“Jasper!” I said. “Quit being a coward and jump in anytime soon!”

Jasper didn’t even respond and I thought he was dead already.

“Is he dead?” I said.

“Nope,” Olivia said, “he’s over there!”

Great, I thought, coward is going to be Jasper’s nickname for the rest of his life!

I then signaled for Olivia and Jasper to get to higher ground to take out the thugs easier. I managed to climb ten feet and Olivia managed five feet, while Jasper just stayed where he was.

Maybe I could use Jasper as a shield? I thought.

That was the last thing I thought when I took a bullet to the shoulder. I fell from where I was standing.

As usual, Olivia was the first one to rush to my aid.

“Norman!” Olivia said. “What happened?”

“I have no idea," I said.

“Can you get up?” Olivia said.

I tried to get up but went back to my knees.

Damn it, I thought, I’m hurt and now my teammates could die!

“We have to get you out of here!” Olivia said.

“I’m fine!” I said.

“Bite me on that one Norman!” Olivia said. “Jasper you get your butt over here!”

“I’m here,” said Jasper, “what happened to Norman?”

“I don’t know,” said Olivia, “but somehow, he took a bullet to the shoulder!”

“How’d you figure that one out?” Jasper said.

“Just look at the wound stupid!” Olivia said.

“Okay I see it!” Jasper said.

“Would you two shut up!” I said “If you don’t do something now, we’re going to die!”

“Okay Jasper look,” said Olivia, “we have to get Norman to safety! Jasper, you help Norman up and don’t drop him!”

“Yes,” Jasper’s growled, “I got it!”

“Now,” said Olivia, “there’s a jeep with soldiers waiting for us to finish the job. If we get Norman there, we can get him to a hospital."

I didn’t know how it happened but we made it to the jeep out of enemy territory. Much to my surprise John was there waiting for us.

“What happened?” John said.

“I’m not sure,” said Olivia, “but somehow Norman took a bullet to the shoulder. So to my surprise Jasper actually worked with us this time to get Norman to safety!”

“Well that’s interesting,” said John, “just because of that, I’m not going to call this mission a failure not by a long shot. When Norman recovers you’ll go back out and finish the job. Got it?”

I barely managed the words ‘yes sir’ before I passed out.

* * *

When I opened my eyes again, I was in The Land of the Dead. Betty was there to greet me.

“Am I dead?” I said.

“Nope,” said Betty, “you’ve just been sleeping.”

“How long?” I said.

“Two days,” said Betty, “I heard you took a bullet to the shoulder. But I think you’ll pull through it.”

“So,” I said, “why am I here?”

“I hear that you’ve gotten your death walker abilities,” said Betty, “Sunset Shimmer told me that you have four of the nine abilities, not bad.”

“Okay?” I said. “Your point?”

“I brought you here today to test you," Betty said.

“To test me on what?” I said.

“I want to see if you can hold your own against me," Betty said.

My jaw dropped, “Is this a joke? You’re a Legend for crying out loud!”

Betty laughed, “I still don’t accept that till this day! I’m just a death walker and the queen of hell, that’s all.”

“I guess it does run in the family," I said.

“What?” Betty said.

“Being too stubborn to recognize your achievements," I said.

“So you don’t recognize the five medals you’ve won?” Betty said.

“Nope,” I said, “I’ve hidden them somewhere so I don’t see them.”

“Can I ask you a question?” Betty said.

“What is it?” I said.

“Why did you enlist in the Military?” Betty said.

“I just wanted to get strong enough to protect my family. To make up for not protecting you.” I said.

* * *

Betty didn’t say anything in response to my answer, I guess she was too stunned by what she heard. The next time I opened my eyes however, I was back in the Land of the Living. I looked around to see that I was in a hospital room. Robert and Sunset were sitting at my bedside. When I looked over in their direction, they looked very happy to see that I was awake.

I also saw that Robert and Sunset had these weird looks on their faces.

“What is it?” I said. “I really don’t like the looks you two are giving me.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Robert said.

“Yeah,” said Sunset, “I have no idea…”

* * *

On the day I was released from the hospital Discord and Fluttershy were there to greet me.

“How are you doing?” Discord said.

“About as fine as I’ll ever be," I said. “How’s Amethyst doing?”

“She’s doing fine,” said Discord, “Fluttershy’s been helping her with her death walker training. So when are you going back to work?’

“In one week,” I said, “we still have to go after the guy we need to capture.”

“Oh,” said Discord, “Sunset Shimmer and Robert said they have a surprise waiting for you when you get back home.”

“Do you have any idea what it is?” I said.

“I have no idea," Discord said.

I rolled my eyes and thought, I really hope it’s not a party…

* * *

“Hi Norman,” said Robert, “welcome home.”

“What are you up too?” I said.

“Oh nothing,” said Robert, “Sunset and I have a surprise for you upstairs.”

“Okay?” I said.

Robert then grabbed my hand, “Come on!”

I have no idea what this is about, I thought, but it’s really creeping me out.

We got upstairs and Robert locked the bedroom door and Sunset was sitting on my bed.

“Uh,” I said, “what’s this about?”

“You didn’t pick up on the hints did you?” Robert said.

“I have no idea of what you’re talking about!” I said.

At this point Robert and Sunset couldn’t contain their laughter. I then realized what was up but before I could run Robert blocked my way.

“This isn’t funny Robert!” I said.

“We weren’t intending for this to be funny,” said Robert, “let me see how I can explain this…”

“Robert,” said Sunset, “let me do it.”

“Sure thing!” Robert said.

“Well you see,” said Sunset, “we’ve been talking about doing this for weeks now. It turns out that Robert and I both have feelings for you.”

“This is one of your pranks Robert!” I said.

“Nope,” said Sunset, “no prank, why don’t you sit down and relax? I think you’ve earned it.”

“Okay then…” I said.

“You’re not going anywhere,” said Robert, “you always say that when you’re going to run.”

“Actually,” said Sunset,”his busted shoulder might work in our favor.”

“Ouch, hey!” I said.

Robert then threw me onto the bed with me on top of Sunset and Robert on top of me. Let’s just say I ended up in bed with the both of them, talk about making the first move.