• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 407 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 407

6) Beacon of Light Training

When I woke up the next morning I groaned. That was mostly because I felt like a 300 pound person sat on me. Then I heard Cozy Glow knocking on my door.

“Dad,” said Cozy Glow, “I think you need to get up now. Zecora’s here to help you! Not to mention we both have training with Sunset Shimmer.”

“I’m coming,” I said, “just give me a minute okay?”

“Yes dad!” Cozy Glow said.

When I heard Cozy Glow leave, I got up and got dressed. Then I went downstairs and saw Zecora looking into her medicine bag. As soon as I saw Zecora, I wanted to run from the house as fast as possible.

“I have a brew here,” said Zecora, “that will definitely heal you.”

I groaned and thought, Why me?

“This medicine was made to the letter,” said Zecora, “so it will definitely make you feel better.”

I then gave Cozy Glow a look and Cozy Glow just rolled her eyes.

“Remind why I let you call Zecora for help?” I said.

“Because you still look terrible,” said Cozy Glow, “and we have training with Sunset Shimmer to boot. You’ll need all the strength you can get.”

I sighed, “Fine…”

Zecora then gave me the medicine and sure enough the bruises and the black eye that I got from Jasper healed right up.

“You look much better now,” said Cozy Glow, “good thing you don’t have any broken bones.”

It was as if on cue there was a knock on the door.

“Yey!” Cozy Glow said. “It’s Sunset Shimmer!”

“Go ahead,” I said, “let her in.”

“Yes dad!” Cozy Glow said.

“Hey there,” said Sunset, “you ready to start training today?”

“Yes ma’am!” Cozy Glow said.

“Uh,” I said, “yes…”

I went to go grab my sword and Cozy Glow grabbed her bow and arrow. I had to admit that I was totally confused about what was going to happen today.

“One thing you need to learn as a death walker,“ said Sunset, “is the trademark beacon of light. Betty didn’t learn this until after she died. I can only assume that it was because she wasn’t trained by another death walker.”

“Let me guess,” I said, “you’re a death walker too?”

“Yup,” said Sunset, “you guessed correctly, I’m a death walker.”

“Great,” I said, “does everyone in my life have to be a death walker? Is Robert a death walker too?”

“No,” said Sunset, “last time I checked, your friends Robert’s not a death walker.”

I sighed, “So how do we learn this whole beacon of light thing?”

“Oh,” said Sunset, “that’s what you’re going to learn right about now.”

Before I could do anything Sunset gave me one open fist to the chest and I then fell over and looked down to see my body lying right in front of me. Sunset then did the same thing to Cozy Glow.

I hope she doesn’t say anything about being dead before, I thought.

I looked over and could tell Cozy Glow really wanted to say something but she kept her mouth shut.

“This is so weird,” I said, “what are we supposed to do next?”

“Oh,” said Sunset, “there're lost souls in the building across the street there. You guys need to help them move on.”

“How do we do that?” I said.

“It’s different with every weapon,” said Sunset, “Norman, you just put your sword in the ground. Amethyst, you shoot one of your arrows to a wall or some strong surface and it will do the same thing. You two will have until midnight to complete the job. I’ll be watching just in case you guys get into trouble. Now, it’s time for you to go.”

Cozy and I nodded and headed for the building across the street.

* * *

We got to the building that Sunset pointed out and everything seemed really quiet. A little too quiet if you ask me.

“Are you getting creeped out about this,” I said, “cause I am.”

“You and me both dad,” said Cozy Glow, “this place is worse than a graveyard.”

“I wonder where the souls are,” I said, “and more importantly, why haven’t they moved on yet?”

“Beats me,” said Cozy Glow, “I didn’t move on until your sister died. Maybe it’s something like that?”

“I don’t think so,” I said, “this building is abandoned.”

That’s when I heard a nursery rhyme that children of earth grow up singing. I could only make out the last part of it though.

“Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!” I could hear voices singing. With the last word down, the whole building shook as if it were in an earthquake.

Well, I thought, at least we found one of the souls.

“Uh dad,” said Cozy Glow, “look over there…”

What I saw next made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It looked like 12 children standing in a straight line as if they were cadets that had enlisted. They all looked about the ages of 19 or 20, that was how old I was when I enlisted. Because I enlisted right after Betty died.

“I have a feeling this has something to do with Betty dying," I said.

“How’d you figure that out?” Cozy Glow said.

“Count how many children there are," I said.

“There’s 12 by my count!” Cozy Glow said.

“And what ages do they look like?” I said.

“Around the same age as you when Betty died!” Cozy Glow said.

“Exactly!” I said.

Then I heard a low toned laugh. Now, I get sick by seeing a dead body being taken apart. But now, seeing this guy or whatever he was really hit a nerve.

“Awe,” said the man, “did I hurt little Norman’s feelings?”

“Who are you?” I said. I was really hoping he didn’t say Betty.

“My name’s Theodore," Theodore said.

“So,” I said, “why 12 children? And why are they the same age as I was 12 years ago?”

“Wow,” said Theodore, “you’re pretty observant aren’t you Norman?”

“How do you know my name?” I said.

“Oh,” said Theodore, “anyone who is anyone, knows your name!”

“And what are the children’s names?” I said.

“Oh that,” said Theodore, “their names are Betty with a number behind them!”

“Why you little-“ I said.

“Dad stop!” Cozy Glow said. “He’s just trying to get in your head!”

“What?” I said.

“What I mean,” said Cozy Glow, “is that these aren’t the souls we are looking for. He’s just messing with you!”

“The kids got a discerning eye,” said Theodore, “although I wouldn’t call her a kid. Am I right Cozy Glow?”

“Okay,” said Cozy Glow, “this guy knows way too much for his own good!”

Theodore said, “I know too much?”

“Where are the souls that are in this building?” I said. “The real ones!”

“Oh, “said Theodore, “you’ll have to look for them, or capture me and send me back to Hell.”

Capture the guy, I thought, wait, that’s it!

“So dad,” said Cozy Glow, “what do you want to do? Capture him or look for the souls?”

“I say we capture him,” I said, “I have an idea, just follow my lead okay?”

Before we could even attack Theodore, the children started singing the nursery rhyme again. Every time the word ‘down’ was sung, the children switched and took over being Theodore’s shield. I also noticed something about the color of their eyes, each eye’s color matching one of the four gates of Equestria.

“Amethyst,” I said, “do you notice anything about those children?”

“Yes,” said Cozy Glow, “they look different every time they switch.”

“That’s because,” I said, “they’re representing the four gates of Equestria.”

“So what do we do?” Cozy Glow said.

“We take down the children,” I said, “we take down Theodore and free the lost souls!”

Cozy Glow then readied her bow and arrow. After the first two children switched, Cozy Glow had a look of confusion on her face.

“I can’t get a read on them!” Cozy Glow said.

“Wait until they say the word ‘down’ and then shoot them!” I said.

“Got it!” Cozy Glow said.

Theodore just stood there and rolled his eyes at us.

“You do realize that you only have until midnight to do this right?” Theodore said.

I grinned at Theodore, “This won’t take that long.”

“A little cocky now aren’t we?” Theodore said.

“Nope,” I said, “I’m pretty sure.”

Cozy Glow missed the first two children that rotated out. But then she was starting to get the hang of it. Soon she was able to take down all of the 12 children.

At least she can fight side by side with me, I thought, better than Jasper can.

After Cozy Glow took down all of the children, Theodore clapped and laughed as if he were watching some sort of TV show.

“Well now,” said Theodore, “I don’t have any more children to protect me.”

“Amethyst,” I said, “you rest, I’ll take care of Theodore.”

“Yes,” said Cozy Glow, “you go for it dad!”

“Hey Theodore,” I said, “you like to exploit people’s stories for your own good right? I think I’ll tell you the ending of your story!”

“Like I’m going to listen to that!” Theodore said.

Theodore then aimed his next attack at me. On instinct, I pulled out my sword and just when I protected Jasper from that tornado, a black cloud exploded out and surrounded me. I was able to spin my sword around and to my surprise flames began trailing my sword.

“Well now,” said Theodore, “it seems the death walker has some abilities now in his arsenal of attacks. I wonder if you’ll react if I kill Cozy Glow first!”

I was going to send my attack his way, when I found out that I couldn’t move. All of the sudden, my sword stopped spinning too. It just floated straight up in the air.

I can’t move, I thought, he’s going to kill Amethyst!

Theodore made a couple of steps towards Cozy Glow and she went backwards to stay away from him.

Think, think, I thought, that’s it! Pain trumps fear every time!

So I bit down on my tongue to make it bleed. I then found myself able to move. Instantly, I jumped in front of Cozy Glow, quickly blocking her from Theodore’s attack.

“Hum,” said Theodore, “you broke out of my magic, not bad, kid!”

“I’m not a kid you moron!” I said.

“Oh well,” said Theodore, “I guess I’ll just have to kill you first!”

“I doubt that!” I said. “As I was saying, you want to know the end of your story?”

“I’m definitely not going to listen!” Theodore said.

Before Theodore could make another move, I took my sword and drove it through his chest. Theodore then fell backwards and I stepped right on his wound, I then applied pressure with my foot. I then aimed my sword at his neck.

“Well, if you’re not going to sit still and listen,” I said, “then I’ll just have to make you sit still!”

Theodore didn’t seem like he was in pain, but he sure was struggling under my foot.

“Your story ends like this…” I said.

I took my sword and drove it through Theodore’s neck planting it firmly in the ground.

“Your story ends,” I said, “with you living happily ever after in Hell!”

I jumped back because the sword then lit up like a christmas tree. A beam of light shot out into the sky and a portal appeared at the end of the beam. Souls began pouring into it and going into the afterlife. After a while the portal closed and my sword turned back to normal. I grabbed it and put it back into its sheath. I then sat down and breathed a sigh of relief.

“You okay Amethyst?” I said.

“Yes dad!” Cozy Glow said.

Well, I thought, glad that’s over with.

“I think it’s time to head back,” said Cozy Glow, “don’t you think?”

When we got back, Sunset was smiling at us.

“Nice job you two!” Sunset said. “And you made it back just in time! Now, to get back into your bodies just step over them and lay down.”

I did what I was told and the next time I opened my eyes I was back in my body. Sunset then helped us up.

“Yeah know something Sunset?” I said.

“What?” Sunset said.

“I never want to hear that nursery rhyme ever again!” I said.

Sunset laughed,”That’s all the training for today. You guys should go on and get some sleep.”

“Yes Sunset!” Cozy Glow and I said.

* * *

The next day I had sword training with Jack. Sure enough, when I got to the training yard a crowd of women sat on the bleachers.

Great, I thought, I don't need this right now.

“Well,” said Jack, “as always draw your sword. I’m going to teach you something new today.”

“What’s that?” I said.

“Just fight me and I’ll show ya,” Jack said.

So just like last time, Jack did not go easy on me.

“You’ve already gotten better,” said Jack, “you’re lasting a lot longer than last time.”

“Okay?” I said.

Suddenly, just like my battle with Theodore I found that I wasn’t able to move. Jack was then able to get me and aim his sword at my neck.

“You’ve heard of the Terror Paralysis spell haven’t you?” Jack said.

“I’ve come across it before,” I said.

“You should never let the enemy use that spell on you again!” Jack said. “Cause next time, it’ll be your head! Just to make my point clear...”

Jack then dug his sword into my neck, not enough to kill me but enough to make it bleed.

“Yes sir!” I croaked. “I understand!”

“Great!” Jack said. “I’ll keep testing you to make sure you can get past this spell no problem! Got it?”

“Yes sir!” I said.

“That’s enough training for today,” said Jack, “you might want to get that wound checked out.”

Jack put away his sword and walked away. I just stood there too stunned to do anything else.