• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 407 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 407

3) The Team Coward

When we were dropped off we split up to search the village like we were told to. We were just about to give our search when I spotted him. He was a young man about my age and he wore black robes with a gold sash on it. Oilivia and Jasper came to see what was happening and judging by the looks in their faces, they couldn’t believe their eyes.

“Just so you know,” said the man, “my name is Archie.”

“We already know your name.” I said.

“Well then,” said Archie, “I think it’s only fair that you tell me your name.”

“Does it matter?” I said. “You’re going to die soon.”

“Don’t egg the guy on,” said Jasper, “it’ll just make our job even harder.”

“Okay,” I said, “then you take the lead on this one.”

“Oh no,” said Jasper, “John specifically wanted you to take the lead on this one.”

I bit my tongue, “Fine.”

“Looks like the rookie adult wants to fight,” said Archie, “how nice.”

“Don’t worry,” said Oilivia, “we’ll be backing you up okay?”

“Judging by the look on your face,” said Archie, “I’m going to guess you’re a soldier. Am I correct?”

“So what if I am?” I said.

“It doesn’t matter I guess,” said Archie, “let’s get this show on the road shall we?”

“I think I’ll have your head on a silver platter after this.” I said.

“Yeah know,” said Archie, “I had some intel on you. I know you’re a new Death Walker. I think your name is Norman Jewel. Oh yeah I’ve read in the history books about your sister Betty. She’s a legend now! I wonder if it runs in the family? Why don’t we find out?”

I rolled my eyes, “If you already knew my name, then why did you ask for it?”

“Does it matter?” Archie said. “I think I’ll make the first move then.”

Archie then pointed his wand up in the air and the scene now looked like some sort of movie set. He then fired out his wand that looked like spikes. I had to jump back quite a few times to dodge them. Jasper and Olivia however, just ran for cover.

I looked behind me, “You guys going to help anytime soon?”

“Nah,” said Jasper, “we’re good right here.

Gee, I thought, dumb and dumber has made their first strike! Just perfect…

Archie then pointed his wand at the nearest house that he was standing by. A big huge boulder came from the sky and all I could think about was how many innocent people there might be in there. I jumped in the air and gave the boulder one kick and it shattered into a million pieces.

“Wow,” said Jasper, “the new guy sure is strong.”

“He’s a Death Walker you idiot!” Oilivia said.

“Awe,” said Jasper, “does someone have a crush?”

“Would you two shut up!” I said. “Feel free to jump in anytime soon!”

“Oh no,” said Jasper, “I think you got this!”

“You cowards!” I said.

“What did you call me?” Jasper said.

“You heard me!” I said. “Coward!”

I could tell that this comment really pissed Jasper off.

Archie smiled at this, “Nothing’s better than a little friendly competition!”

It’s about time! I thought.

“Well then,” said Archie, “how about we step things up a bit hum?”

This is not my day! I thought. First I have to work with dumb and dumber and now this!

“In case you didn’t know,” said Jasper, “you’re not the only strong one around here!”

Jasper then pulled out his weapon. I just about rolled my eyes when I saw it. The weapon that Jasper had was a bow and arrow.

“You’re joking?” I said.

“Nope,” said Jasper, “no joke, these arrows are made of steel. They can get through anything!”

“Yeah,” I said, “if you have good aim.”

“Why you little-“ Jasper said.

“What?” I said. “You said you were strong, now show me!”

Archie seemed a little pissed off that we were taking so long to attack. So he decided to launch his next attack. That’s when I had an idea.

“Hey Jasper,” I said, “aim for his wand!”

“Sure thing!” Jasper said.

Archie then made a circle with his wand and a huge tornado appeared out of nowhere.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I said.

I looked over at the house that I just saved and panicked. Jasper then braced himself to withstand the tornado.

I wonder… I thought.

Without thinking, I jumped in front of Jasper and pulled out my sword. Suddenly I found my sword floating in front of me. I flicked my finger at the sword and out of it came a black cloud. The cloud then surrounded us and the house from the tornado.

“Interesting,” said Archie, “looks like you’ve got darkness powers. Nice, very nice!”

“Jasper this is your chance!” I said. “Seriously, aim for his wand!”

“I’m on it!” Jasper said.

Jasper then aimed the arrow at Archie’s wand. It didn’t hit the wand but it went into his hand. Archie then stumbled backwards dropping his wand crying out in pain.

Well, I thought, it’s not the wand but this is the next best thing.

“Now,” said Jasper, “it’s time to pin you to a wall and have your head on a silver platter.”

Jasper then fired his arrows pinning Archie down.

“This is an assignation assignment,” said Jasper, “we can’t call this mission a success unless he dies.”

“I’ll do it.” Oilivia said.

I raised an eyebrow, “You sure about that?”

“Yes,” said Oilivia, “I’m sure, besides I haven’t done anything yet on this mission.”

Oilivia then took out her weapon and stabbed the wizard in the heart. Archie died in no time at all.

* * *

When we got back to the Castle Oilivia dropped Archie’s body on the ground.

“That looks like him,” said John, “let me make sure it’s not a fake.”

John then proceeded to cut Archie’s ear and take out his heart. I almost threw up at the sight but I just swallowed and kept it down the best I could.

“Let’s see,” said John, “judging by the ear he’s not a fake. The heart tells me his magic is gone. Nice job mission complete!”

Jasper and Oilivia obviously had a strong stomach for this, because I certainly didn’t. Jasper and Oilivia just nodded at John and walked away.

“What’s the matter,” said John, “never seen a dead corpse before?”

“No,” I said, “it’s not that I’ve never seen one. I’ve just never seen one being taken apart before.”

“Oh I see,” said John, “you’ll get used to it. You should go find a bathroom to puke in.”

That’s exactly what I did, I found the nearest bathroom and threw up.

* * *

The whole mission took about two whole days to complete. Thank goodness Fluttershy and Discord were able to take care of Cozy Glow for the time being. Cozy Glow was waiting for me when I got home.

“Hi dad,” said Cozy Glow, “I’m glad you’re back!”

I sat down on the couch not wanting to move at all.

Great, I thought, I’m going to have nightmares from what John did to to that dead body. I hope I don’t have to see that again.

“You okay dad?” Cozy Glow said. “You look terrible!”

“I’m fine…” I said.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Cozy Glow said. “Grandma Fluttershy is making dinner!”

I felt like I was going to puke again at the thought of eating anything.

“Hey Norman!” Fluttershy said. “Wow you look like you're going to be sick! Do you have a fever or something?”

“Yeah,” I said, “no thanks on the food. I think I’ll just turn in for the night.”

“Okay then,” said Cozy Glow, “goodnight dad, see you in the morning!”

I then went upstairs and locked the door and I really didn’t want to go to sleep. That was wishful thinking because as soon as my head hit the pillow I was sound asleep.

* * *

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself in the Land of the Dead.

Well, I thought, at least it’s not a nightmare.

Betty smiled at me and held out a hand to help me up.

“I was watching you and you used your sword for the first time, not bad.” Betty said.

“You were watching me?” I said.

Betty shrugged, “I’m the Queen of Hell now, I can open up portals to just about anything. Don’t worry, I’m not a peeping tom or anything.”

“That’s okay,” I said, “I didn’t think you were, considering being married to Dae.”

Betty laughed, “I just wanted to see if you would use your sword when fighting that wizard. From what I saw it looks like you have darkness powers. That’s just like me when I first became a Death Walker.”

“Huh,” I said, “I guess it does run in the family.”

“Well,” said Betty, “you’ll figure out what other powers you have in due time.”

“So exactly why am I here?” I said.

“Oh,” said Betty, “I wanted to tell you Sunset Shimmer just arrived, she should be coming to your house to train you in a couple of days.”

I nodded. “Sure that’s fine.”

“Something’s troubling you,” said Betty, “what is it?”

“Let’s just say I saw something I didn’t want to see.” I said.

“Well,” said Betty, “you’ve been in the Military Division before I’m sure you’ve seen a lot of horrible things.”

“But,” I said, “this job being a Knight of the Royal Court is completely different.”

“Oh I see,” said Betty, “you’ll just have to get used to it I guess. It probably comes with the territory.”

“I just hope I have to stand by the Throne tomorrow.” I said.

Betty laughed, “I’m sure Princess Twilight would love to have a handsome man standing behind her.”

“No thanks,” I said, “I think I’ll just have to suck it up and go on missions again.”

Betty couldn’t contain her laughter. She laughed so hard it brought tears to her eyes.

“That’s not funny Betty!” I said.

“Okay forgive me,” said Betty, “I’ve said all that I needed to say goodbye Norman.”

Without another word I went back to the Land of the Living.

* * *

When I woke up the next morning I groaned.

This really has to be some bad dream, I thought, that’s never going to end.

I then heard Cozy Glow knocking at the door.

“Dad,” said Cozy Glow, “you okay? You really did look terrible yesterday. I know you have an off duty training day today. But you do have the rest of the week off and you're going to have to meet Sunset Shimmer. I’m going to be training with her today. She should be coming anytime soon.”

I groaned, “I’m getting up Cozy Glow. I do have to get to training as soon as possible.”

“But that means you’re not going to meet Sunset Shimmer.” Cozy Glow said. “Don’t you want to meet her?”

“I can meet her tomorrow.” I said.

I got dressed and went downstairs only to see Discord and Fluttershy.

“Well, well, well,” said Discord, “looks like Normie is an early bird!”

“My name’s not Normie,” I said, “how many times do I have to say that? And I’m not going to call you dad. Betty might be doing it, but I’m not got that?”

“Fine Norman,” said Discord, “I see you’re in your training outfit. Off duty training day today?”

I sighed, “What do you think? Anyway, I got to go, I’ll grab a bite to eat later.”

I headed straight out the sparring ring right away because Jasper decided to challenge me to a match. I have no idea why.

“Looks like the big guy over there wants to fight right off the bat.” Robert said pointing at Jasper. “Who is he by the way?”

“His names Jasper,” I said, “and he’s just some coward that I got to assigned to for a teammate.”

“Ouch,” said Robert, “that wasn’t very nice.”

“Bite me!” I said.

“Hey Norman,” said Jasper, “are you going to stop flirting or are we going to fight?”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m not flirting you idiot! If you want to fight me so bad, let’s go!”

“I wouldn’t be so cocky if I were you.” Jasper said.

“And you want to fight me so bad because?” I said.

“You called me a coward to other day,” said Jasper, “I think that calls for a little payback, don't you think?”

“Oh brother,” I said, “fine, whatever you want.”

“Yeah know,” said Jasper, “I’m going to wring your neck today.”

“Uh-Huh,” I said, “I’d like to see you try. Show me your not a coward then maybe I’l stop calling you one.”

Without another word the fight began, I have to admit that Jasper was pretty strong. I couldn’t seem to land a hit on him at first so I just stuck to dodging and kicks for the time being.

“Dodges and kicks?” Jasper said. “Is that the best you got? And here I thought you were a Death Walker.”

“What’s that got to with anything?” I said. “Not bad for a coward!”

“I’m gonna make you eat that word!” Jasper said.

I finally caught Jasper off guard and landed a punch to the stomach. I could tell that it took his breath away, but he just got up and dusted himself off.

“I think this fight has been dragged out long enough.” Jasper said. “Let’s end this! I’m going to knock you out now.”

“As if you could do that.” I said.

Jasper then tried to kick me in the head but I caught it just before it hit the mark. I then took his leg and sent him flying into a wall.

“That’s enough!” I hear a voice say.

I looked over to see John comin up to us with a really pissed off look on his face.

“No fighting,” said John, “with intent to kill!”

“He started it!” I said.

“I don’t care!” John said. “Jasper you’ve got a concussion from that hit go to the Nurse’s office now. And you, we need to talk follow me.”

I followed John into the office. John then took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“Exactly what were you thinking about back there?” John said.

I shrugged, “Nothing I guess, hand to hand combat just comes naturally to me.”

“You’ve got too much tension and rage in you,” said John, “you really should find a better way to work things out. I was also told something bad happened to you 12 years ago. What was it?”

“My mother and sister died,” I said, “that’s when I adopted Amethyst.”

“Well,” said John, “you should at least be happy that you’re a father now.”

I took a deep breath and tried to keep myself from using him as a punching bag next.

“Okay nevermind,” said John, “just chill out okay? I might think about considering you for counseling. I think that’s enough training for today. Oh and Shining Armor will be training you after your time off. You can go now.”