• Published 22nd Apr 2021
  • 256 Views, 2 Comments

Fluttershy's Animal Classes - Majestical4729



Fluttershy teaches Discord about the different animal classes as lesson number 1 before he can learn to help her in the sanctuary.

  • ...
1
 2
 256

Arachnids

"Alright Discord, we're meeting the arachnids now. Just try your best not to freak out." Fluttershy told Discord, who was following behind her.

"Freak out?! Hello, I am Discord, the Lord of Chaos, nothing can ever make me freak..." Discord bragged before seeing the group of arachnids right in front of him.

"OUT!" the draconneques screamed upon seeing the spiders, scorpions, termites and ticks all in one group on the ground.

"Relax Discord, these arachnids here in the sanctuary are tamed, so they are not like wild ones that might hurt you out of their self-defence."

"So these are the arachnids?!" Discord asked, pointing at the said animals.

"They are arachnids because they have 8 legs." Fluttershy explained, "4 pairs of legs, make 8 in total."

"That I can observe," Discord commented.

"Another thing that you can observe is arachnids do not have antennae nor wings, unlike insects that do." Flutershy stated.

"Let's not forget that some insects do not have wings." Discord reminded.

"Arachnids also have two additional pairs of appendages. The first pair, the chelicerae, serve in feeding and defense. The next pair, the pedipalps, help the organisms feed, move, and reproduce." Flutershy explained.

"Do I have to remember those names?" Discord asked.

"I'm afraid you have to, as they are characteristics of arachnids." Fluttershy replied.

"Fine," Discord muttered.

"The arachnid body is organized into the cephalothorax, a fusion of the head and thorax, and the abdomen." Fluttershy informed.

"So the arachnids have bodies like insects, but fused together?" Discord asked in shock

"You should just remember it as a fusion," Fluttershy figured,"Another characteristic that arachnids have is internal systems, like a trachea or a book lung, to adapt to living on land."

"Anything else?" Discord asked.

"You should know that arachnids are mostly carnivorous, feeding on the pre-digested bodies of insects and other small animals." Fluttershy informed.

"Carnivorous...feed on small animals...got it!" Discord wrote down in his notebook.

"For your safety, you should know that several groups of arachnids are venomous. They release the venom from specialized glands to kill prey or enemies." Fluttershy warned.

"Not to worry dear Fluttershy, no creature can ever hurt me, the Lord of Chaos." Discord declared.

"Another thing you should know is that mites are arachnids, and several mites are parasitic, and some of those are carriers of disease." Fluttershy continued warning.

"I already told you Fluttershy, no creature can harm me," Discord reminded, but then saw her annoyed expression, "But, I'll still take your warnings seriously...."

"Arachnids usually lay eggs, which hatch into immature arachnids that are similar to adults. Scorpions, however, give birth to live young, and they are still arachnids." Fluttershy informed.

"Scorpions give birth...other arachnids lay eggs...got it!" Discord chirped.

"Now for one last test." Fluttershy declared before asking, "Question One: What is the main characteristic that makes an animal an arachnid?"

"Arachnids have 4 pairs of legs, making a total of 8."

"Question Two; the body parts of an arachnid?"

"The arachnid body is organized into the cephalothorax, a fusion of the head and thorax, and the abdomen."

"Question Three; what do insects have that arachnids do not?"

"Arachnids do not have antennae or wings, while insects have a pair of antennae on top of their heads, and some insects have wings."

"Question Four; what do arachnids have that are additional parts?"

"Pairs of appendages, arachnids have two pairs of them. The first pair, the chelicerae, serve in feeding and defense. The next pair, the pedipalps, help the organisms feed, move, and reproduce."

"Question Five; how do arachnids breathe?"

"Arachnids have internal systems, like a trachea or a book lung, to adapt to life on land."

"Question Six; what do arachnids mostly eat?"

"Arachnids are mostly carnivorous, feeding on the pre-digested bodies of insects and other small animals."

"Question Seven; Dangers of arachnids?"

"Several groups are venomous. They release the venom from specialized glands to kill prey or enemies. Also, several mites that are in the arachnids class, are parasitic, and some of those are carriers of disease."

"Question Eight; How do arachnids reproduce?"

"Most of them lay eggs, while others like scorpions, give birth."

"Way a go, Discord! You passed all of lesson number one! I knew you have the potential to be an animal expert like I am!" Fluttershy praised as she hugged Discord.

"Anything for you Fluttershy, and matter of fact, I do think all of these animals here are interesting, and creatures I'd like to hangout with." Discord said his thoughts out loud.

"Then you shall help me with the animals here in the sanctuary! As my assistant and partner!" Fluttershy declared.

"Your assistant and partner?!" Discord asked, blushing.

"Yes, Discord. While learning more about animals, and their classes." Fluttershy replied.


Comments ( 1 )

I feel as if this story is a little redundant, but other wise I enjoyed the biology lesson!

Login or register to comment