• Published 24th Sep 2020
  • 786 Views, 23 Comments

Infection - Nano Discussions



An unsolved event, the rise of the undead and now a new mystery. A mare will have to try and understand what has happened, while surviving this new infected world.

  • ...
3
 23
 786

Prologue: A Friendly Face

The soft summer wind breezes through overgrown apple trees as the white-blue colour of the sun beams over the mountains of Canterlot, casting a dark shadow upon the old rotten town of Ponyville. Once a vibrant, friendly town, only now held resident to the jaws of the undead. In the past, the rising sun would be seen as the start of a brand new, lovely day, but to a certain survivor, it's a simple backdrop as they bash through the door of a cottage tree on the far end of town.

It is a unicorn with a blood-soaked, dark scarlet fur, Rainy Day. She slams the door shut behind her almost catching her messy, short golden tail and mane in it. Luckily the door contained an exuberant number of functional locks. Happy she wasn't on the receiving end, she quickly locked the door. However, she had to break one of the locks, because she managed to get her black jacket stuck in it. A pistol almost flies out of an inner pocket inside her jacket when she breaks the lock.

After locking the door with the remaining locks, Rainy Day peered at the darkness with her soft aqua eyes. “Those locks won't hold them. she thinks as she starts to grab anything to barricade the door. She ended up making a haphazard mess at the door with random furniture. Then an ear-wrenching sound of snapping bones fills the room behind her. Fearing for her life, Rainy Day forcefully pulls out her gun while twisting around to face the source of the noise. She found herself staring into the undead eyes of the house’s owner, Fluttershy. Horrified by the sight, Rainy Day’s magic fails her and the gun is taken over by gravity plummeting to the wooden floorboards.

Fluttershy’s fur is pale and faded, riddled with small holes that present blood-soaked flesh. A massive hole spans from the side of her barrel through her stomach leaking decayed bile. Her back left leg is entirely missing, only the stump and rotted flesh remain. Her wings consist of only bones with saggy skin attached, yet they are completely connected as if the joints were veiled. Her face is mostly intact except for a continuously bleeding gash liquefying her right cheek.

She looks at the invader, shock painted throughout her face. She then eyes the unicorn as she moves closer with unknown intent. Rainy Day, already standing with her back against the wall, concentrates all her magic to pull the gun off the floor. With the power of panicked magic, the gun crashes into the wooden roof with a loud thud. With a deep breath, Rainy Day is able to direct the gun to tilt at the corpse. To her surprise, Fluttershy pauses in her tracks and stares at the gun with pinpricks for irises. Her wings then start to brokenly flap as she shambles backwards terrified. However, she only made it a few steps before tumbling over herself, forcing Rainy Day’s mind to be struck pondering on this abnormal response.

Rainy Day corrects the gun to aim at Fluttershy’s head as she trods dubiously closer. However, her eyes widen as Fluttershy wails, covering her head in her hooves. “P-Please don’t shoot me!” Her voice is slightly garbled. However, despite this deformity, Fluttershy’s voice was clear. Tears start to fill the dams of Rainy Day’s eyes, yet despite her efforts, memories of the shy pony win. Rivers of tears and sobs shove Rainy Day down to her barrel. Once again her magic fails her and drops the gun to the boarded floor.

The uncharitable weight of cold meat meets Rainy Day's back, forcing her tears to continue their descent down her chin while making her sobbing stop. She knows what is going to happen next, she observed many ponies face the same fate. She waits, hoping that she would experience a quick death from the undead beast on top of her. However, moments pass as nothing arrives. “What is happening? she mentally questions until her thoughts are disrupted by noise. A soft whisper from the putrid voice box of the pony that was laying on her.

“Are you feeling better?”

Rainy Day stands up, tears drying into her fur as the frigid weight is lifted off her. Fluttershy then staggers away and glances at Rainy Day’s gun, still placed on the ground. Rainy Day rubs the last tear from her eye and places the gun on a table. Fluttershy’s wings make another cringing snap as she struggles to extract the lounge away from the barricade with her mouth. Rainy Day, viewing the pathetic performance decides to use her magic to levitate the lounge back to where it resided.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy whimpers, dusting off a place for Rainy Day to sit with her hoof. Perplexed by her current circumstances, Rainy Day quickly peers through the window. “No one ever visits me after what’s happened, y-you shouldn’t worry,” Fluttershy interrupts with an understanding smile on her face.

I guess I was too obvious, Rainy Day tells herself, walking to the lounge. Fluttershy heads into the kitchen while Rainy Day plants herself in the undusted area. Leaving her to try to string questions together to ask Fluttershy.

Suddenly the noise of a kettle fills the room, sending Rainy Day’s brain driving her into a mad panic. She launches herself off the lounge to immediately regret it as dust swirls around her. With dust covering her vision she follows the steaming noise, almost confident that her face will have a date with a wall. Her mind pacing the same messages over and over as she blindly sprints. They were chasing after me! They’ll be alerted to where I am! She trips over her hooves and slams her face into the hard unforgiving floorboards.

Fluttershy limps into the room, frowning at the image of Rainy Day flank up on the floor. Her face red with pain, Rainy Day pulls herself up and immediately rubs the dust away from her eyes. “A-Are you okay?” Fluttershy asks, putting a decayed hoof on Rainy Day’s back as she rubs her new bruises. Precisely at that moment, the sounds of sprinting hooves and withered moans can be heard gathering closer at a sprightly speed. “Huh? They normally never arrive,” Fluttershy mumbles as she trembles over to the crudely secured entrance.

Rainy Day manages to remove the boiling kettle with her magic. She then swivels around irritated with pain to question Fluttershy. “When was the last time you made this much noise?” Fluttershy looks back to Rainy Day and pauses, asking herself the same question. “Either way, they’ve been getting more aggressive recently,” Rainy Day tells Fluttershy as she magically pulls the gun at her side and checks the clip. "Not empty, but not full."

“What caused all this? And if you don’t mind, w-who are you?” Fluttershy asks Rainy Day, confused, shocking Rainy into a face of pure disbelief. However, before Rainy Day could say anything, hooves smashed through the door and walls, throwing Rainy Day and Fluttershy. Loud shrieks cover Ponyville as undead ponies mindlessly try to get at Rainy Day. Two of them manage to rip through and pounce towards her. Gunshots are heard as two bullets are fired and land perfectly in the heads of the trotters.

How can you not remember?!” Rainy Day shouts over the screaming and tearing as more fill in the room. “Shit! I’ll have to take her with me. Maybe Queen Luna will know something about this?” Rainy Day thinks as she grabs Fluttershy by the ruff of her dead neck and runs into the hoard, focusing all of her magic.